Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    Yikes, 3 weeks and you've got it till November? Might be best to just roll it over into a new lease with Hyundai and go from there. The new Elantra is a really sharp vehicle and at least you won't have this issue hanging over your head right now especially with the job situation. Best to deal with one issue at a time I think. No doubt you will find a new job, eventually. And that's the kicker because you don't know when. I have no doubt that you will though being as smart as you seem to be!
    Worst to worst, check out a Hertz like I did and see if they need a driver. You love automobiles so maybe something in the auto industry which is exactly what my kids told me to do once I started to look for work. Look in the field where your passion is.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited May 2016
    "...we're talking about an older tubed t v here"

A CRT? Believe me, a flat-screen LED will open up a whole new world for you, and also agree with the sound bar.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,316

Yikes, 3 weeks and you've got it till November? Might be best to just roll it over into a new lease with Hyundai and go from there. The new Elantra is a really sharp vehicle and at least you won't have this issue hanging over your head right now especially with the job situation. Best to deal with one issue at a time I think. No doubt you will find a new job, eventually. And that's the kicker because you don't know when. I have no doubt that you will though being as smart as you seem to be!
    Worst to worst, check out a Hertz like I did and see if they need a driver. You love automobiles so maybe something in the auto industry which is exactly what my kids told me to do once I started to look for work. Look in the field where your passion is.

Yep, I'm pretty much resigned to dealing with mileage charges at the end of the lease.

I've talked with the wife about getting out of my lease early - she is adamantly against it.

Ironically, one of the many positions I've applied for was a Financial Analyst with Hertz out at the Denver Airport.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    edited May 2016
    Michaell, if you can roll it over to a new lease early, what not? You save the extra mileage and just do what you're going to do anyway in 6 mos. If you're going to take a beating on going with he early lease I would agree with your wife, otherwise you're going to save some $'s.

Hope the Hertz thing at the Denver airport materializes for you!
  • Options
    Already have a 32" in the family room, just going to swap positions and maybe put it on the wall. 48" or 50" seem to be the best size for our purposes. Have a Samsung now which we really like but my kids both have Insignia from Best Buy which they also like. Will go tomorrow and see what they have and possibly HH Gregg and maybe Brands Mart but Brands Mart is usually a real zoo and this is something I want to spend some time with without all these folks and sales people all over the place. Brands Mart offers great prices but they sell fast and move you in and out fast. Have bought there in the past but this time, want to see and try the features and not be rushed.

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    carnaught said:

Michaell, if you can roll it over to a new lease early, what not? You save the extra mileage and just do what you're going to do anyway in 6 mos.

I ran this question by the group (or in Cars and Conversations, can't remember) a couple weeks ago.

It was suggested that since I don't know where my new job will be, the commute could be much bigger than a 15K per year lease would accommodate.

I could probably get into an Elantra SE for under $200/mo, but not sure what my up front costs would be. With my current lease, the available lease cash took care of everything other than the first months payment.

Oh, and I've got to replace the bumper on my E-GT - it got backed into and damaged pretty heavily a year ago.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,557
    I got an LG a couple years back for the bedroom. More at tv. Got it at BJs and it cam packaged with a sound bar. Still in the box someplace. Never bothered to install it.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    corvette said:

You may want to get a soundbar with a subwoofer, too. A lot of them are overpriced, but they generally sound a lot better than the built-in TV speakers.

Klipsch makes some excellent soundbar/sub combos.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    carnaught said:

"...we're talking about an older tubed t v here"

A CRT? Believe me, a flat-screen LED will open up a whole new world for you, and also agree with the sound bar.

Yes but it will be a flat world :p
  • Options
    Jetta arrived home today. Checked the MPG on the run up from NC (about 440 miles). with the usual traffic mess on 95, and a couple of stops, the princess returned 39.5 MPG. Not at all shabby, since it is pretty darned quick too.

• Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,796

Folks, we're talking about an older tubed t v here, a Sylvania I bought in KMart like 18 years ago or so. It's a 27" one and fine except that the volume is stuck at one level and whatever I've tried to increase it, nothing works. Figure we've gotten our moneys worth out of it really.

LOL I'm in the same boat, Sandy. My Trinitron was manufactured in 1997. Great TV, but we don't use it much. My wife wants to move things around again, and this time she suggested it is time to let it go. We won't be replacing it any time soon, though. In the meantime, if we need a screen, we can always throw the disc into the computer and just watch it on the monitor there.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Found what I, she, wants at Best Buy, sale starts tomorrow. Taking her over with me to see things and if doable, will just buy then and there and throw it in the hatch. Just looking to make this whole thing go easy peasy so if I have to give up having a smart t v, so be it. Less to break later on I guess...it's a Samsung.

• Options
    stickguy said:

Jetta arrived home today. Checked the MPG on the run up from NC (about 440 miles). with the usual traffic mess on 95, and a couple of stops, the princess returned 39.5 MPG. Not at all shabby, since it is pretty darned quick too.

Quite impressive, Stick!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I finished the bookcase project today (for the most part - still need to attach them to the wall). Now I can paint the car, but also have a trip to PA coming up on Monday night, so it will probably have to wait until we get home.

I stuck the kids in this one for a sense of scale (who were super-excited, as you can tell):

• Options
    Sandy, just get the smart TV. It is practically the default at this point, and probably not much if any more money. And way more useful potentially (even if you don't realize it yet).

even the fancier TVs (staying away of course from the latest fad like 4K) are cheap. And 48-50 is even on the smaller side. So just pick out one that seems nice and go for it!

Hanging on the wall is a good idea too, especially if you don't have a stand or space is tight.

• Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,267
    Some of the smaller 4k TVs are reasonably priced. Was at my neighbor's house last night and got to see his new home theater setup. 100" front projection and the largest subwoofer I've ever seen. The picture was really good--it used to be that front projection systems had poor picture quality, but it's not true anymore.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    The first Jag XEs have hit my local dealer.
    I took a few pictures this morning...

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rayainsw/media/Jag XE/IMG_1932_zpsdg7mgez8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    edited May 2016
    Agree with @stickguy and @corvette

If looking at 48"-50", Samsung smart TVs are a great buy. 1080P has dropped down to mid-$500s and even 4K is only $800. We have a Polk soundbar/wireless subwoofer that we paid about $300 for, that sounds great. You will want better sound, especially if you are aging like I am and can't hear the damn dialogue! Samsung sound bars aren't as good, IMO, but they are cheap and still a big upgrade.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    rayainsw said:

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rayainsw/media/Jag XE/IMG_1932_zpsdg7mgez8.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Looks nice. Is this replacing the XF, or slotting underneath it? (I know, I should know).

$500 for NAV? Is that just an app that uses your smartphone for the data? That could use a lot of bandwidth, if so.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

rayainsw said:

Looks nice. Is this replacing the XF, or slotting underneath it? (I know, I should know).

$500 for NAV? Is that just an app that uses your smartphone for the data? That could use a lot of bandwidth, if so.
    The XE is the 3-series / A4 / C-class competition.

Three engines - a turbo 4, a V6 and a diesel.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    I actually got my mom a Samsung soundbar for Mother's Day. No word on how good it sounds. I specifically went for one with a wired subwoofer, as there is a wireless access point next to the TV and some people have reported buzzing from the wireless subwoofers due to interference.
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2016
    ' Is this replacing the XF, or slotting underneath it? (I know, I should know).
    $500 for NAV?'
    Slotting beneath the XF.
    I have noticed several NAV prices in that range -
    my GUESS is that since so many new cars already
    have a screen - for control of the audio system, etc.
    that adding NAV with an existing built-in screen
    is somewhat less expensive...?
    - Ray
    Ready to test drive an XE,
    when the 340HP version is available.
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

rayainsw said:

Looks pretty good, but probably no diesel for U.S. Does Jag still use Ford engines?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    Yeah, I think only the 4 cylinder series (gas and diesel) is from the new LR "Ingenium" modular design, but I think the V-6s are still Ford sourced, at least for a little while longer until LR gets everything online. Hope I got that right!
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    rayainsw said:

' Is this replacing the XF, or slotting underneath it? (I know, I should know).
    $500 for NAV?'
    Slotting beneath the XF.
    I have noticed several NAV prices in that range -
    my GUESS is that since so many new cars already
    have a screen - for control of the audio system, etc.
    that adding NAV with an existing built-in screen
    is somewhat less expensive...?
    - Ray
    Ready to test drive an XE,
    when the 340HP version is available.

Ray....that's the one I'd be interested in, too. Will have to do a drive by at the local (and only) Jag dealer in my area.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    corvette said:

I actually got my mom a Samsung soundbar for Mother's Day. No word on how good it sounds. I specifically went for one with a wired subwoofer, as there is a wireless access point next to the TV and some people have reported buzzing from the wireless subwoofers due to interference.

I have the wireless sub. No problems.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • Options
    TVs...have a Sony Trinitron tube in the room I use the treadmill in the basement rec room....18-20 years old, maybe? Too heavy for me to carry it up the stairs to even take it to the recycling center. Still works well. Trinitron picture Sony was famous for. How the mighty have fallen.

My home theater room has a SUHD 65" Samsung. Impressive.

50" TVs have turned into commodities. Stay away from off brands and stick with Samsung, LG or Sony and you should be fine.

Agree about the soundbar, too. Get one.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    kyfdx said:

Agree with @stickguy and @corvette

If looking at 48"-50", Samsung smart TVs are a great buy. 1080P has dropped down to mid-$500s and even 4K is only $800. We have a Polk soundbar/wireless subwoofer that we paid about $300 for, that sounds great. You will want better sound, especially if you are aging like I am and can't hear the damn dialogue! Samsung sound bars aren't as good, IMO, but they are cheap and still a big upgrade.

I was wrong about prices. They are even cheaper.

$450 for Samsung 1080P Smart TV and $650 for LG 4K Smart TV. Both 48".

Geez.. that's cheap!!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    houdini1 said:

Michaell said:

kyfdx said:

rayainsw said:

The XE at the Denver Auto Show had information that suggested the diesel would be available here.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    We shall see what we find, not into anything fancy...just want a great picture with a reliable brand. Our current Samsung has served us well up to now with a remote issue fixed by going online to find a solution.
    Looking like Best Buy will be our destination today but who knows.

• Options

We shall see what we find, not into anything fancy...just want a great picture with a reliable brand. Our current Samsung has served us well up to now with a remote issue fixed by going online to find a solution.
    Looking like Best Buy will be our destination today but who knows.

Hard to beat this one for $450

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-48-class-47-6-diag--led-1080p-smart-hdtv-black/8274303.p?id=1219690430613&skuId=8274303

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    That's pretty much what I have. I like it a lot but the Samsung interface pretty much sucks. You'd really want to use your iPad or laptop to search for anything or manipulate the screen.
  • Options
    I agree with that. Ours is 46" and about four years old. ($800). Bought my son this model for $572 about 18 months ago.. Pretty soon, they'll throw one in, when you buy a toaster.

I tried to download an app to use our streaming interface but was unsuccessful. About the only thing we use the Smart TV functions for is Netflix, even though we could also use Amazon Prime video, if I could figure out how to get it to work.

Great picture. Incredible value.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Picture quality is excellent; sound is....acceptable....interface is zero stars...maybe Samsung owes me a star.

No problem with customer service, as it doesn't exist near as I can tell. I answered all my questions on Google.
  • Options
    breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    Wife is visiting with some friends so I took my stepson for a little drive.  I still kinda want this.  

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• Options
    Or this.  

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    Oh. I like that wagon.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Didn't breld have a 328xi wagon at one time? Or is that one of the few models he hasn't owned? :p
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    For those of you who haven't done it, Xtreme Xperience is a lot of fun.  2 years ago I drove a Ferrari F430 around the track at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ.  Today I drove a Porsche 911 GT3.  What an incredible car.  It was so quick and so powerful.  My instructor commented how my lap times seemed to decrease significantly with each passing lap.  It wasn't cheap, but I had a blast!  I'd go again.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nyccarguy said:

For those of you who haven't done it, Xtreme Xperience is a lot of fun.  2 years ago I drove a Ferrari F430 around the track at Raceway Park in Englishtown, NJ.  Today I drove a Porsche 911 GT3.  What an incredible car.  It was so quick and so powerful.  My instructor commented how my lap times seemed to decrease significantly with each passing lap.  It wasn't cheap, but I had a blast!  I'd go again.

Nice!

I've done them three straight years:

Ferrari F430
    Audi R8
    Lamborghini Gallardo

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• Options
    edited May 2016
    corvette said:
    Didn't breld have a 328xi wagon at one time? Or is that one of the few models he hasn't owned? :p

Well, the wife had the unicorn - 328xi wagon, m-sport manual.  

These current ones are quite a different beast - larger, more comfortable, less sporty; pretty much like most current BMWs compared to prior ones.  But...it suits my current needs well and could be a suitable replacement for both the X5 and the S4.  Some of the utility of the X5, but not all of it, and some of the sportiness of the S4, but (certainly) not all of it. Honestly, if the wagon still was offered in a manual, I'd get one.  

That is, of course, if I could be happy with the one car.  

• Options
    Both that wagon and the 4-series are the same ones I looked at and test drove several weeks ago.  Still being on the lot, they've both had some decent price reductions, although they still seem a bit overpriced, but they're going in the right direction. 

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,434
    Count me as a big believer and huge fan of the PDK transmission

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I do like that wagon.

• Options
    so, finished my 3rd wash/wax detail in the last 4 days. Today was the Jetta. Daughter wasn't fibbing. It was dirty. a lot of picking at spots and bug work, before a wax job. Looks close to new again at least.

just need to get the wife's RDX done at some point this month, but that one isn't too bad. Just hate waxing it (too big, and can't reach the roof from the ground!). The Jetta is an easy one to wax.

• Options
    our LG has the same lousy interface for the smart aps. I did download the app to my phone and tablet. Really the only decent way to enter IDs/PWs, etc.

The LG has a bunch of built in apps, including MLB.tv, which is the one I use. Very handy.

• Options
    akanglakangl Member Posts: 3,281
    Just poking my head in to see what trouble you guys are up to. I'm pretty boring as far as cars go, the same 4 in the stable as the last time I stopped by. Hubby's '12 Focus is past the 80k mark, still a great car, daughter's '15 Focus (the one that was wrecked) hasn't cracked 10k yet, the '14 Explorer is nearing the 53k mark and still no issues. Our truck doesn't get enough miles put on it to note, its an expensive pig to drive.

We just got back from Texas.....loved the severe thunderstorms in Abilene, would have enjoyed them more if I wasn't worried about hail and the rental car! Speaking of the rental car, we ended up with a 13 or 14 Sienna, that was an awesome vehicle to hang with for 12 days. So awesome that I may be picking up a used '13 Sienna this week. Haven't completely decided if I'm ready to let the Explorer go, but after having the van for 12 days, the Explorer is small! I've had the Explorer for almost 3 years and really can't complain, its NEVER had an issue, always been a great car. Hard to let that go and step into the unknown. The '13 Sienna has 41k miles on it but is clean as a whistle and I really like it.

Little man turned 2 in January, pure trouble that one is! He put a dime in the power port of hubby's car, blew the fuse, and cost us $7 to figure out what was wrong with it.....very expensive dime! He's obsessed with cars, tractors, fire trucks, basically anything with wheels. He is always trying to figure out how to take things apart, we never know what he will dismantle next!

So that's it from the far north. My oldest son has bought more cars than me in the past 3 years........I think I should pass my membership on to him!
  • Options
    akangl....good to hear things are good. Glad you checked in.

Well, my son is helping me put mulch down yesterday and blurts out "VW called yesterday and said they just got in another GTI Track Pack, 6 speed car" (the unicorn set of options).

ME: Oh yeah? What color?
    Son: Black over plaid red/black.
    ME: Sounds nice.
    Son: Wanna go look at it? (which is really code for he might want to buy it given that's exactly how he wanted one equipped).

He showered up in the guest bathroom. I shower up in mine, and away we go. I had already done some reconnaissance previously on one he was looking at but was sold. While I can't prove it, I think VW has some dealer turnk money on all their vehicles. On the GTI, I believe it's $1,500 (interestingly, I heard from a reliable source there's $7,500 in trunk money on the Toureg).

So, thinking $1,250 back of invoice is doable given VW's current predicament. But,Son has a trade......his 2012 Fiesta, auto with 40K miles, no wrecks, drips nor errors. Add in a $100 detail and it's on the front lot. Probably needs brakes and tires in the next 5K-7k miles. Aside from that, it's passable as it sits.

Doing a little research, these are being advertised in the $10,500 to $12K range locally, but those all had at least 20K more miles on them. So, tires and brakes are offset by the low mileage. Figuring the dealers probably had $7K-$7.5K into those cars. Bet a dollar to a doughnut they cut them loose at $9K. So, now we have a trade figure.

Go to the dealer nearest us. We had visited here before. They didn't have what he wanted, and the sales person didn't know a GTI from a Beetle. Still, need some competitive info.

Sales: Good to see you came back.
    Son: Did you get in any more GTIs with track pack
    Sales: Let me check our inventory (we are led to the obligatory sales desk, which always takes too much time to get ANY information)

He searches and searches and says a competing dealer has one in black (we already know this). For $100, he'll go fetch it for us. Gee, how nice of him, given it's only 10 miles away.

ME: Before you do that, can you appraise the Fiesta, and where would you be price wise on the GTI? Sales guy says it would help to show we are serious if we put some earnest money down. I hate this tactic. I tell him we don't even know what anything costs yet, nor if he can get the car we want. NOPE...no earnest money. He accepts that fact and we (slowly) move on. This is like mollases dripping in January.

Now the used car manager is involved and the sales person tries to dazzle us by his knowledge of '60s-'70s era Beetles, some of it incorrect, none of it of any interest to us. And, the New Sales Manager is lookng for the car we know already exists 10 miles away.

Lots of waiting (for what, I'm not quite sure) until the Sales guy is summoned to the manager's office. A bit more waiting and he comes back with a sheet.

Bottom line, $6,700 for the trade, $1,000 off MSRP + $100 to go get the car.

I tell him we're way too far apart, and tell him he's $800 light on the trade. and about $1,400 light on the GTI.

He asks for us to wait for the obligatory sales manager's visit, which we do grudgingly. Finally out of a mysterious hallway pops the sales manager. Nice enough guy. I repeat myself (why? Did the sales person get my message wrong?).

Sales manager wants to grind it out. We've already spent too much time (over an hour and didn't even do a test drive). I thank both for their time and tell them it isn't going to work out. Both make an effort to keep us there, telling us they have more cars that aren't prepped in the back, maybe something we like from those, we can work the numbers, on and on.

I repeat the thanks and we scoot out of there.

(to be continued)......

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    akangl said:

Little man turned 2 in January, pure trouble that one is! He put a dime in the power port of hubby's car, blew the fuse, and cost us $7 to figure out what was wrong with it.....very expensive dime! He's obsessed with cars, tractors, fire trucks, basically anything with wheels. He is always trying to figure out how to take things apart, we never know what he will dismantle next!

So that's it from the far north. My oldest son has bought more cars than me in the past 3 years........I think I should pass my membership on to him!

Hi Jolie, nice to see you back here!

I read something similar recently about a coin in a lighter socket or some such thing that caused a lot of damage including fire IIRC. You're lucky it was just $7 and a fuse. OTOH that could be a way to get the insurance company to pay for a new vehicle!

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options

akangl....good to hear things are good. Glad you checked in.

Well, my son is helping me put mulch down yesterday and blurts out "VW called yesterday and said they just got in another GTI Track Pack, 6 speed car" (the unicorn set of options).

ME: Oh yeah? What color?
    Son: Black over plaid red/black.
    ME: Sounds nice.
    Son: Wanna go look at it? (which is really code for he might want to buy it given that's exactly how he wanted one equipped).

He showered up in the guest bathroom. I shower up in mine, and away we go. I had already done some reconnaissance previously on one he was looking at but was sold. While I can't prove it, I think VW has some dealer turnk money on all their vehicles. On the GTI, I believe it's $1,500 (interestingly, I heard from a reliable source there's $7,500 in trunk money on the Toureg).

So, thinking $1,250 back of invoice is doable given VW's current predicament. But,Son has a trade......his 2012 Fiesta, auto with 40K miles, no wrecks, drips nor errors. Add in a $100 detail and it's on the front lot. Probably needs brakes and tires in the next 5K-7k miles. Aside from that, it's passable as it sits.

Doing a little research, these are being advertised in the $10,500 to $12K range locally, but those all had at least 20K more miles on them. So, tires and brakes are offset by the low mileage. Figuring the dealers probably had $7K-$7.5K into those cars. Bet a dollar to a doughnut they cut them loose at $9K. So, now we have a trade figure.

Go to the dealer nearest us. We had visited here before. They didn't have what he wanted, and the sales person didn't know a GTI from a Beetle. Still, need some competitive info.

Sales: Good to see you came back.
    Son: Did you get in any more GTIs with track pack
    Sales: Let me check our inventory (we are led to the obligatory sales desk, which always takes too much time to get ANY information)

He searches and searches and says a competing dealer has one in black (we already know this). For $100, he'll go fetch it for us. Gee, how nice of him, given it's only 10 miles away.

ME: Before you do that, can you appraise the Fiesta, and where would you be price wise on the GTI? Sales guy says it would help to show we are serious if we put some earnest money down. I hate this tactic. I tell him we don't even know what anything costs yet, nor if he can get the car we want. NOPE...no earnest money. He accepts that fact and we (slowly) move on. This is like mollases dripping in January.

Now the used car manager is involved and the sales person tries to dazzle us by his knowledge of '60s-'70s era Beetles, some of it incorrect, none of it of any interest to us. And, the New Sales Manager is lookng for the car we know already exists 10 miles away.

Lots of waiting (for what, I'm not quite sure) until the Sales guy is summoned to the manager's office. A bit more waiting and he comes back with a sheet.

Bottom line, $6,700 for the trade, $1,000 off MSRP + $100 to go get the car.

I tell him we're way too far apart, and tell him he's $800 light on the trade. and about $1,400 light on the GTI.

He asks for us to wait for the obligatory sales manager's visit, which we do grudgingly. Finally out of a mysterious hallway pops the sales manager. Nice enough guy. I repeat myself (why? Did the sales person get my message wrong?).

Sales manager wants to grind it out. We've already spent too much time (over an hour and didn't even do a test drive). I thank both for their time and tell them it isn't going to work out. Both make an effort to keep us there, telling us they have more cars that aren't prepped in the back, maybe something we like from those, we can work the numbers, on and on.

I repeat the thanks and we scoot out of there.

(to be continued)......

The GTI has $1000 dealer cash on a purchase (if you finance).

Touareg has $7500, but only if you lease.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator