Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    @breld - it's going to be really tough to switch out of that S4.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Have any (many) of you all had the experience of driving the car you thought you really wanted, only to find out that the experience of road testing made you appreciate your present car even more?
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,710
    nyccarguy said:

@breld - it's going to be really tough to switch out of that S4.

Yup - starting to realize that. I suppose that's a good thing.

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

Have any (many) of you all had the experience of driving the car you thought you really wanted, only to find out that the experience of road testing made you appreciate your present car even more?
    Yes.  Back in 2009 I read about cash 4 clunkers before dealers knew anything about it.  I was all set to get a $4500 rebate credit on a Mini Cooper S Clubman with Sports Package & 6 Speed Stick.  I had read all the specs and reviews.  What could be bad?  A lightweight, turbocharged, FWD car designed and built by the wizards at BMW.  I hated the car.  Horrible blind spots, rubbery shifter, having to turn my head up to see every stop light, weird clutch...

I jumped back into my Prelude afterwards.  I remember saying to myself:  "this car is what I love!"

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,515
    A few times, after much research, I just "knew" for sure what I wanted. then when I went and test drove it, was disappointed for one reason or another. And other times, something I figured would be a non starter, turned out to be something I wanted.

research is wonderful, but you have to try them out too.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Naturally every car I've ever test driven drove like a dream compared to whatever I was driving at the moment (and that includes every rental car). ;)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    Don't know about that, but I've been unexpectedly disappointed plenty of times, with test drives. Positive that I'm going to like a car, only to have a negative experience.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

one in particular was a slightly used 328 BMW x drive. the 6cyl version, probably about a 2012? I forget the designation, but the one after the E46. E90? Anyway, what Bradd had!

was quick, had some nice features, but the ride, steering, overall feel just did not impress me. Could have been that particular car, or the tires, or maybe just that is what they are.

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,348
    kyfdx said:

Don't know about that, but I've been unexpectedly disappointed plenty of times, with test drives. Positive that I'm going to like a car, only to have a negative experience.

I remember test driving a 2013 Mustang GT with the six speed manual; my wife was sure I'd buy it but it just left me completely cold.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I don't shop in the BMW leagues. But on a more plebeian note, the 2001-2 Honda Accord. It seemed very cheap inside and just rather dull all the way around.
    And every Toyota I've ever test driven. I always want to like them -- reliability, good mpg -- and the bland driving experience and vanilla interiors get me every time.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    well, the used 3 series was about the same price as a new accord.

and speaking of Toyota, that went the other way. Before I got the Sonata, I tried a Camry, just for "due dilligence". Not expecting to like it, but still curious. I ended up liking it much more than I expected, and more than the Accord. It ran a close 2nd, and if the salesguy I was dealing with had returned a call and dropped his shorts another $25, I probably would have leased the Camry XLE before I even went to the Hyundai dealer.

stickguy said:

and speaking of Toyota, that went the other way. Before I got the Sonata, I tried a Camry, just for "due dilligence". Not expecting to like it, but still curious. I ended up liking it much more than I expected, and more than the Accord. It ran a close 2nd, and if the salesguy I was dealing with had returned a call and dropped his shorts another $25, I probably would have leased the Camry XLE before I even went to the Hyundai dealer.

You're clearly in the majority. I have friends who only drive Toyotas. I bought one for my college daughter that ran like clockwork for over 150k. I want to like them, I really do!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    When we had a team of sales people on the road for years they all drove Maximas (before they went upmarket) then they all got Altimas. Fast forward a few years and the company switched to Camrys, right at the 2007 re-design. There was a genera dislike although all of them used to say "it's not bad". These were guys putting on 40 to 50K a year. Each of those Camrys made it to 200K with little more than normal maintenance. To be fair so did the Altimas and we did get a Maxima to 300K+ but it was pretty much a total with all the repairs toward the end.

The Camry is certainly an appliance, it does everything you need it to but certainly not for an enthusiast. My Mom had an 09 SE 4cyl it was marginally better in the "fun" department as it had the tighter suspension.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

There's certainly something to be said for driving something that never needs any attention. That's nice peace of mind that can bring a lot of contentment. It's that thought that steers me toward Lexus or Acura once in awhile.

Thing is, I think most new cars are a lot like that these days. 10-15 years ago, cars like the Camry really stood out in that vein. Other manufacturers have paid more attention to quality, and to be fair, I think Toyota has slipped a bit. Audi, of all makes, has climbed the reliability charts quite nicely.

edited May 2016
    By the way, in our shopping excursions yesterday, the one car that turned my wife's head? The Beetle "Dune." In that bright metallic yellow/orange no less.

It was kinda cool.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,977
    stickguy said:

Funny you should mention considering a Camry XLE before getting the Sonata. For the first time I was actually thinking of buying a Toyota. It was a new 13 Camry XLE. I was wary of the CVT in any car, so I didn't even look at the Accord. My commute was changing to a much longer drive as we were moving the office to a different location. With my drive before being mostly interstate, the Camry would do nicely. I thought I had a deal when an additional $1600 showed in the total. It was for all the typical dealer add ons. They wouldn't reduce the amount, I walked. Two weeks later I bought the Accord and am very glad I did.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    The Ray Catena MB dealer in NJ will be open tomorrow Memorial day . Should be some really good deals across the board over there if any of you guys are looking Mercedes. Big selection of used

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited May 2016
    A Toyota Memorial Day ad was on TV yesterday and I told my wife I thought I would drive over to a dealer and trade my 2er for a new "grounded to the ground" Camry SE. Her response? "If you do, I'm taking out a Mental Inquest Warrant." :D

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,262
    That's such a dumb ad campaign. Baruth on TTAC is pretty fond of the SE's sport suspension and has put at least one rental on a track. The last Camry I sat in had some of the ugliest interior design cues I've ever seen, and the instrument cluster was worse than a mid-1990s GM product. I had a ~2005 model as a rental once, and outside noise entered the car so bad it was like it had a window open, so it didn't even live up to its promise as an isolationmobile.
    The recent ones are pretty quiet.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • jeffb0101jeffb0101 Member Posts: 53
    I had an 09 SE. It was a great car, and very quiet. Much better than my 2012 Accord in both departments. 

2015 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5

Ugh.. looks like I might be a chronic HVAC system buyer, this week.

(okay, not chronic.. 18 years old)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tommister2tommister2 Member Posts: 393
    kyfdx said:

Bummer. My time is coming soon too. Not looking forward to it.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
    edited May 2016
    Lots of dislike for the Camry here. I really like mine...guess I'm an oddball. It's almost 5 years old now and has been 100% reliable. I have never tried to race it, except maybe some stoplight to stoplight bursts. It is quicker off the line than our Honda Pilot.
    2011 Toyota Camry, 2014 Jeep Wrangler, 2017 Honda Civic Coupe, 2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XSE, 2021 Toyota Tundra, 2022 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Tesla Model 3
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381

kyfdx said:

Bummer. My time is coming soon too. Not looking forward to it.
    Punched that ticket this spring , thank you very much!!

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    What is a full system these days (forced air gas / AC compressor)? $7500 ish installed?

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,381
    tjc78 said:

What is a full system these days (forced air gas / AC compressor)? $7500 ish installed?

Somewhere in that neighborhood, yes. I got multiple quotes and we added a couple of registers and returns. Final bill for 2 systems was just north of 12k

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

My AC unit is so old the home inspector couldn't tell when it was made. Most of the paint has faded off of it. I'm sure it's on borrowed time, but there's no reason to replace it when it's still running and my summer electricity bills are reasonable. The furnace and coils are newer.
    A Toyota Memorial Day ad was on TV yesterday and I told my wife I thought I would drive over to a dealer and trade my 2er for a new "grounded to the ground" Camry SE. Her response? "If you do, I'm taking out a Mental Inquest Warrant." :D
    They are offering 0% for 72 months

tjc78 said:

Our heat pump system ran a bit over $8k a few years ago.

nyccarguy said:

They are offering 0% for 72 months

Oh the temptation- hold me back!!!

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I'm with Tom, I don't think Camry's are all that awful either and neither does a rather large chunk of the population. They are a nice riding highway car and good economy around town too with reliability and decent resale at a very competitive price. Not so keen on the current styling though. Now if you want to crank it out on the twisties or something, then there are better options. I think there is perhaps a small segment of the population that doesn't like Toyota for the same reason they don't like McDonald's or Walmart - some don't want to go with the flow and do what everyone else does and that's cool too.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Lots of dislike for the Camry here. I really like mine...guess I'm an oddball. It's almost 5 years old now and has been 100% reliable. I have never tried to race it, except maybe some stoplight to stoplight bursts. It is quicker off the line than our Honda Pilot.

I rented an '09 Toyota Camry in 2009 at SeaTac and enjoyed the ride, I did. Easy ta drive and not so totally boring, either. Now, the thing's looks are so vanilla-ish, but the "marshmallow" ride was fine. At that time I drove our '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS which handled like an absolute champ, so no fair comparing the two cars. The Lancer GTS is a compact and the Camry a midsizer, so no fair comparisons should be made. But in no way was my experience something that would block my love for a Toyota product later on.

Scion iA, Scion iA, ScioniA, etc., etc., etc. :p

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

tjc78 said:

I'll probably know some time tomorrow, but I think you are close. Would probably be easy to slide up towards $10K, if you fall for the upgrade sales pitch.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2016
    The "hidden" expense realities of home ownership. Realtors don't always talk about maintenance and repair when pushing buyers up the price ladder.
    I liked Toyota when they were cranking out some nice sports cars and hot hatches- the MR2, Celica, and Supra were great cars. Now the only fun car they build is the Toyota 86- and I'd buy one if it had around 150 more hp.

edited May 2016
    Common sense dictates that one will incur maintenance and repair costs while owning a home. I see a lot of buyers fall in love with a home out of their price range and do 0 down loans in order to make the purchase. (Yes, there are banks doing 100% LTV (or greater) loans these days, which is a whole 'nother discussion.) They generally have no funds for a down payment or for any repairs which may arise. Often, they won't spend $350 to have a home inspection "to save money."
    berri said:

The "hidden" expense realities of home ownership. Realtors don't always talk about maintenance and repair when pushing buyers up the price ladder.

Home ownership is a lifestyle choice, not an investment.

That doesn't mean that there haven't been plenty of people experience windfall profits, from time to time. But, renting sure isn't the "throwing your money away" that people make it seem to be.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So what you've really pointed out is that more than a few buyers have no real common sense ;)
    berri said:

So what you've really pointed out is that more than a few buyers have no real common sense ;)

I'm not saying home ownership is a bad deal. It's just not the imperative that a lot of people make it out to be. You can be financially secure and successful without owning a home.

Some people would be miserable renting, and that's a valid argument, as well.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

corvette said:

Common sense dictates that one will incur maintenance and repair costs while owning a home. I see a lot of buyers fall in love with a home out of their price range and do 0 down loans in order to make the purchase. (Yes, there are banks doing 100% LTV (or greater) loans these days, which is a whole 'nother discussion.) They generally have no funds for a down payment or for any repairs which may arise. Often, they won't spend $350 to have a home inspection "to save money."

These are the same idjits who buy a cheap 911 or M3 without a PPI- and likewise have no money set aside at all for maintenance and repairs...

kyfdx said:

Some people would be miserable renting, and that's a valid argument, as well.

*raises hand* I like not knowing every time my neighbors drop something on the floor, or nail a picture into the wall, or yell at their kids. I rented a single family residence for a while when I moved to Louisville, and it was fine, but now that I'm a homeowner again, it's nice to be able to put my own touches on things.
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,012

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• eriknorcaleriknorcal Member Posts: 27

Couldn't resist.. 2012 GTI, DSG, every option but still has plaid seats  B) 52k miles and came with VWs certified 24/24 warranty bumper to bumper. Paid a bit over $15k. Very pleased! She won't be stock for long
    29 cars and counting.. Current: '00 BMW 540i/6 sport

Couldn't resist.. 2012 GTI, DSG, every option but still has plaid seats  B) 52k miles and came with VWs certified 24/24 warranty bumper to bumper. Paid a bit over $15k. Very pleased! She won't be stock for long

My nephew recently bought an '09 GTI - similar miles and price.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

BTW ... congrats on the punch!

Did you trade your BMW or do you still have it?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• eriknorcaleriknorcal Member Posts: 27
    Michaell said:

My nephew recently bought an '09 GTI - similar miles and price.
    Michaell said:
    BTW ... congrats on the punch! Did you trade your BMW or do you still have it?
    Nice! They're great cars. That's the first year of the TSI engine so good call. 

Thanks!! Still have it- might have someone coming to see it today actually. I'll take a bit of a loss but such is life. The money from the bimmer will fund my turbo and intercooler upgrade
    29 cars and counting.. Current: '00 BMW 540i/6 sport
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,385
    Congrats! The MK6 GTI is a great car - love the color. 
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
    @eriknorcal Congrats! Beautiful car and sounds like you got a great deal. Enjoy it!

Nice!!!