Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legacy GT Limited vs. Acura TSX and TL

Comments

• kenskens Posts: 5,869
    One other route some other LGT owners have taken is to have a crossover and amp system put in series with the stock HU. Basically, this system allows one to tap into the signal before it goes to the speakers.

I'm not very familiar with aftermarket setups, but I believe this would require professional installation.

Ken
  • c_hunterc_hunter Posts: 4,487
    None of these cars is easily/cleanly upgradeable as far as the head unit goes -- you'd really have to do everything downstream of the head unit regardless of which car you buy. Though the TL has a pretty good stock stereo as is. Actually, I don't have a major complaint about the stereo in my Outback XT (same as Legacy GT) and the stereo in my wife's TSX is OK too (could use better speakers though).

You can always add better speakers, but generally you'd need an amp to drive good ones. A lot of people add a line-out converter and them some amps to stock head units and get very good results. Actually, some amps can take speaker level inputs directly.

Craig
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Bad move by the industry, Taurus was among the first to use a proprietary radio size, and Ford got bitten so they changed it back to a standard size.

-juice
  • hoxhox Posts: 24
    Considering a GT Limited Wagon purchase. Does anyone one have either a GT or XT with the subwoofer/amp option installed from the factory? Does it make much difference with the stereo? Even with that I know it won't match the TL's stereo.

Anyone know about 2006 upgrades???

Hox
    The factory sub is decent, WRX owners like theirs. It fits under the seat, and it's all pre-wired if you don't get a car that already has it.

The tweeters are also pre-wired and they work well.

IMO the stock speakers are not all that great, and would be the first item I'd replace with aftermarket parts if I were an audiophile.

-juice
  • mikeodmikeod Posts: 5
    I just found out my '02 5spd wagon has been totalled.

VEry bummed. How will the GT wagon compare. The 5 was too big and I want to spend less.

Will be looking at other options as well...

Thanks
    You want smaller and cheaper, it certainly meets those two criteria.

I'd sample a Legacy GT Limited, Infiniti G35, and a MazdaSpeed 6. EVO and STi are a bit extreme for daily use.

-juice
    The cars are NOT prewired for the under-seat sub! (none of the Subarus are). You have to run a harness from under the seat, through the console, and behind the radio. Not difficult, but time consuming. Running the harness is the majority of the job, the rest is cake.

Craig
    I stand corrected!

Didn't they used to be? I think my '98 is.

-juice
    They have been including the harness with the sub for as long as I can remember, so I don't think the cars were ever prewired (especially since sub harness tees into the main radio harness -- not something you'd want to do without a sub to connect on the other end).

Some people buy the subs on eBay minus the harness and they are basically screwed. I think it costs about $100 to order a replacement harness, while the full kit only costs $150 or so brand new!!

Craig
  • I just spoke to a dealer at Subaru of Jacksonville (Florida), and he told me we'd have the 2006 models in late July, and that the navigation option is going to cost $2,500, plus a general $500 increase in the cost of the car.

I was waiting on a 2006 model, but I can't justify paying that much for something I wouldn't use much (just think it looks cool!).
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 848
    and you do not need functionality you should be able to find cheap prop.
    Or just frame a picture of Nav system at put it on dash.

Krzys
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    Car and Driver - Manual GT, TL, TSX

GT - 5.7 seconds (same as a WRX)
    TL - 5.8 seconds
    TSX - ~7.3 seconds (have seen it a little bit higher in some mags as well)

Car and Driver - Auto GT, TL, TSX

GT - 7.0 (for outback turbo, but have seen 7.0 in other mags, and even slower in Consumer Reports)
    TL - 6.3 seconds (CD, Consumer Reports reported around mid-to-upper 6s I believe - need to double check)
    TSX - (~upper 8s), CR reported it at 9.5 seconds.

Conclusion - GT is about the same as a manual but slower in Auto than the TL. The TSX does not compete with either.

Mikeod - The Legacy GT will be faster and more nimble than your 525i.
    I doubt they're even finalized yet. The dealer is just saying that to try to get you to buy today.

But think about this - the 2006 Tribeca came out at $1200 less than the current Outback VDC. You really think they're going to increase prices by $500?

Heck no.

Also, they just announced Nav will cost $2000 on the Tribeca, so it should carry the same price (if not less) on a less expensive model.

So my guess it with Nav a 2006 will cost about $1800 more, and yes that might actually include a small price reduction.

What he's saying is "buy now else I might not make my quota".

-juice
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I'm curious about consumer reaction to the Tribeca, with that snout. :P
    Not really, but initially there was some shock. Subaru has generally been very conservative (read: boxy wagons) so reaction was strong.

As people began to see it in person, they liked it more. The infamous grille is not that big, just 12"x16", and it's slightly recessed. So in person it's not as prominent as the pictures make it look.

Just for fun I measured the Dodge Ram grille and it's more than 20"x50". Roughly 10 times bigger in area.

Pricing was aggressive and projected volume is small (40k/year) so it'll meet that goal easily.

-juice
  • uncledaviduncledavid Posts: 548
    CR reported the TSX's time as 9.2 seconds, not 9.5. I honestly don't feel that time is that unrealistic.

I do think C & D's 7.3 seconds is a bit over optimistic though. Most other sources get close to 8 seconds.

I think the realy numbers are probably a less less than 8 second for the manual, and close to 9 for the automatic.
    CR drives it like your grandma would. Their times are the slowest for just about every car, especially manual trannies.

You might be able to compare it to C&D's 5-60 times, i.e. rolling start with no clutch slipping.

-juice
    Juice -
    While CR times are usually slower than other magazine's times, they are generally more realistic. With this being said, what they were able to achieve is pretty fair 0-60 #s:

WRX STi - 5.2 (maybe 5.1, I forget, but the biggest difference of the group)
    Evo - 5.3
    350Z - 5.4
    WRX - 6.2
    RX8 - 6.7
    S2000 - ~5.6 secs.
    Was their TSX an automatic? That might explain it.

-juice
    The TSX at 9.2 secs. (thanks for the correction uncledavid) was an automatic. CR usually tests autos unless they say otherwise. BTW, the cars I quoted later on in post #358 - STi - through S2000 - are all manual trannys.
  • uncledaviduncledavid Posts: 548
    Yup. CR did test an auto. I still think the time was a bit slow. For comparison purposes, I've seen the Accord EX Auto 4-cyl with times in the 8.6 range. I'd guess that the TSX is about as fast as the Accord (at least in terms of 0-60).
    At low rpm it's essentially the same engine pulling those two. The TSX pulls ahead at high rpm.

-juice
    At low rpm it's essentially the same engine pulling those two. The TSX pulls ahead at high rpm, and the auto takes longer to get there.

-juice
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 848
    take your pick 2.4 or 2.5 ?

;-)

Krzys
  • thepdmmthepdmm Posts: 82
    anyone know (besides nav availability) what will be added/taken away for the 06 legacy?

I have heard personally
    little more hp
    6 speed

the dealer I was talking too actually told me to WAIT on the next model year (believe it or not)

I guess this is a good discussion area for me to ask my second question

I have a TSX I may be ready to move on for a number of annoyances and I am thinking of the Legacy GT (not limited not enough head room for me) am I going to mis the TSX? am I missing the Legacy already?

thanks
    What are you trying to address, exactly?

A GT will give you more punch and AWD for all-weather traction.

But they are similiar in size and concept, so if you find the TSX cramped and impractical I doubt the GT will address those issues.

Legacy also offer a wagon option, if praciticality is your primary concern.

-juice
  • thepdmmthepdmm Posts: 82
    TSX has great room not worried about that.. Let's just say I have had it in the dealer more then I thought I would given it is an acura.

not impressed with how much headroom is taken away in legacy limited however the normal GT has great room not TOO concerned about Leather.. sunroof missing will be a bit of a bummer but I can handle that..

has anybody had any STAND OUT problems with the legacy is the 06 worth waiting for? those are the kinds of questions I am hoping to answer..

and since I am asking for an opinion I am more then inviting people to tell me to keep the TSX.. I could have a jaded view just cause I am cranky!
    It's still preliminary at this point, those decisions might not even be finalized yet.

Heated cloth seats are OK, I like 'em because you don't slide around as much in a sportier car. That's not a biggie to me.

No moonroof is a down side, but you could get an aftermarket one that goes up and over the roof. We have ASC aftermarket moonroofs on both our Subarus, just not that kind.

You give up the power passenger seat w/o the LTD package, again not a big deal to me.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.