Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey vs. Toyota Sienna

Comments

• Boy...after reading a few of your last postings, it sounds like you are truly warming up to the Ody even if it has an out dated shifter ;)

The biggest complaint I had with my Sienna Limited AWD was that darn gated shifter and I also thought it was mounted to low and it was easy to hit the shift lever. The Ody's shift lever is higher and out of the way and I like its location much better.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I think the Ody speedometer with 80 MPH top center is irresponsible and encourages drivers to speed.

How many minivan buyers do you think get major tickets because of the speedometer going to 140 or 160 vs. 110? 80 MPH is 80 MPH, wherever on the speedometer it may be printed. I'm going to respectfully disagree on this one. I'm with you on the fact that 160 MPH speedos are overkill, and think 120 on the vans/SUVs and 140 on family sedans is where it should be (after all, my 4-cyl Accord has a 130MPH top-speed which I find really funny).
  • labagitlabagit Posts: 19
    Ok, in fairness, perhaps they didn't. It just seems odd to me that when I returned home and called neighboring dealers within 10-15 minutes of that dealer that they had the vans in stock. I don't know the auto business, but I can't imagine why one dealer would not get a specific car 5-6 weeks after others. I didn't like the way they spoke with us, and I can't shake the gut feeling that they were feeding us a line. If they had simply fessed up from the beginning that they had no 2007's, I might have had a different response. They didn't admit not having any until after I read all the stickers of the cars they were leading us to (after I had asked for 2007's) and asked about it.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    good for you, and no, i wasn't mislead or misunderstood, i knew you were looking for an '07...
  • We are in the market for a minivan and down to either Sienna or Oddy. We prefer the 8 seater and hence we can only get Sienna LE or CE v/s EX or higher on Oddy. My problem is these models are not comparable since Oddy EX-L is a higher trim compared to Sienna LE (even with packages) and hence has a lot more built-in options compared to Sienna LE. I was wondering if others could share their opinion on this. How best to compare these two 8 seaters ?
  • I am in the market to purchase either the 2007 Oddy Touring or the 2007 Sienna Limited pkg #3. I haven't had a chance to drive the new Sienna but I want to test out the new engine. I do like the drive of the 2006 Limited more than the Touring probably b/c we have a Lexus now and are partial to Toyota in that regard BUT the Touring drive is not bad, just different and I'm sure I would grow to like it.
    I am really leaning toward the purchasing the Touring because I like the way it looks (inside and out) but am not happy with the required PAX tires on that model and the lack of bluetooth technology. Options-wise it seems like the Limited is ahead. I don't know what to do and have been trying to make this decision over the past few months! Now the 2007 Sienna is out and I feel like I am even more confused. Any suggestions?? :confuse:
    If you like the ride/drive of the Toyota, then I doubt you would like the sportier driving experience of the Honda. It rides somewhat firmer, while cornering/handling much sharper than the Toyota. The Limited will likely cost you more than the Touring.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Posts: 503
    I agree with the graduate, if you drive a Lexus now you may not like the Odyssey. It definitely has a firmer ride with a lot of feedback from the road. Also, the Odyssey interior is more sporty with the silver trim vs. the faux wood in the Sienna. I have a '06 Odyssey EX-L/NAV/RES and find the road noise to be a little excessive (plus a droning defect that has been corrected on the '07 with a new transmission). My 2 cents.
  • hansiennahansienna Posts: 2,312
    As you wrote, the Ody EX-L is a higher trim (MORE expensive) than the Sienna LE (which compares with and is LESS expensive than the Ody EX-cloth). A better comparison is the Sienna XLE with the Ody EX-L.
    If you want 8 real seats, buy the Sienna but if you want a nice, thick padded armrest that is quite comfortable as an 8th seat, buy the Odyssey. The Ody EX has more flexibility with 2nd row seating than the Sienna LE. The 8 passenger Ody EX also has armrests for the 2 bucket seats in the 2nd row IF you do not have an 8th person in the minivan while the Sienna 8 passenger does NOT have armrests at any time for the 2nd row passengers. :cry:
    Notice that the 2007 Sienna 3.5L V6 has 266 HP vs the 2007 Odyssey 3.5L V6 244 HP. :shades:
    Does the new 3.5L in the Sienna call for premium fuel? Please say no...
    The Honda dealers said yes, but the Toyota dealers said no. ;) Did the '06 require premium? Again, I got the same answers from the same dealers, but I've heard the discussion so much about premium that I wonder.
    We are also in the market for a Ody or Sienna. I suppose it would matter how often you feel you would use the 8th seat. Since you said that is preferred, I'm assuming it's not needed most of the time. I completely discounted the 8th seat in the Ody when I first saw it. I laughed at its size. Then I sat in it. I was shocked how comfortable I was as an adult. Not luxurious, mind you, but comfortably do-able. I haven't ridden in it, but just knowing that I could comfortably sit there made me comfortable that an older child would be just fine. For my purposes, the 8th seat would only ever be used for carpooling or short outings, never for a long trip. You should consider just when you would use it as well.

I know that the LE doesn't come std. with power sliding doors on both sides, though I believe it is an option. That would be a consideration as well.

You said you would get after market leather. In the EXL, you would get heated seats and a moonroof. Disc brakes are standard as well. I would really go through item for item and figure out which features you would not get and if those are important features for you. In like models, I feel that the Sienna has the edge on features, but in the LE vs EXL that would not be the case.

I hope that helps. For the amount I would use the 8th seat, I wouldn't let that sway me, and I would get the EXL in a heartbeat. Since I'm comparing XLE vs EXL, I can't figure out which is best for my family. :confuse:
    i would be cautious going aftermarket leatherette if you are concerned about proper operation of side-seat air bags.

also, while some people just love leatherette, you might let the strength, fortitude and discipline of your little clan members influence your decision.
    I think the 2006 did, but I just dug deeply into Toyota's website, and through the Edmunds comparison feature, I learned that the 2007 does NOT require premium fuel - just regular.

The reason for different answers is probably this - vehicles that recommend premium fuel usually don't HAVE to have it, but if they run on regular, they will run at diminished performance (usually about 10 hp less). So, in one person's eyes, the van "takes premium" because that is what the book says. In another's, the van "runs on regular." See what I mean? I doubt either was trying to be dishonest... assuming that the Honda dealer was talking about the 2006. Info on the 2007s was only very recently revealed on Toyota's website.
    I certainly understand this. Despite my previous claim of dishonesty, I certainly didn't mean to imply it in this case. :D
    I also forgot to mention that the fact that Honda requires no major maintenance until 100k is weighing heavily on our decision. I was told by the Toyota salesperson that Toyota still recommends servicing at the standard 15k intervals. Could someone verify this? Even though our second salesman was very nice, his knowledge was lacking about some things.
    Well, it may have been that the dealers DID know and told you otherwise; we'll never really know I guess. Either way, the Odyssey sure went from quickest van in the field to mid-pack really quickly!
    I'd love to hear more about leather vs fabric seats. From my reading on the boards, I worry about upkeep with kids, but when I ask friends whose cars have leather seats, they tell me it's wonderful and so much easier to maintain. I also worry about the seats being too hot in summer and have been told that yes they will and no they won't. :confuse:

I park my vehicle in the driveway, not in the garage. Will the constant heat and sun make the leather crack? My current vehicle is 10 1/2 years old with fabric seats. Even with kids, they look new once they are vacuumed. I wonder if this would be the case with leather.
    well - if the manufacturer were providing HP estimates, wouldn't they have to reveal if the numbers were obtained using a particular octane of fuel?
    You would think - but two months ago, I would've eaten my hat if you could have shown me published numbers of EPA mileage and fuel type for the 3.5 in the Sienna somewhere. It was not really well publicized.