Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

10k oil changes??

guido65guido65 Member Posts: 25
edited May 2016 in Volkswagen
I just purchased a 2016 Jetta SEL automatic 1.8T. I was told by the dealer to go 10,000 miles between oil changes. I know it has sythetic oil. Does this seem a bit long??

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    They've had those kinds of change intervals in Europe for over a decade now, maybe more. Americans seem uniquely qualified at pouring money down the drain.

Of course the dealer may be wrong - did you check the owner's manual?
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    edited May 2016
    Oil is cheap to change and engine repairs is expensive. Never be penny wise and pound foolish. I change mine every 5k with full synthetic, Castrol Edge, worth the savings in engine maintenance.
    Meant to add that I've been on 7,500 miles intervals using regular old oil for good decade now myself, usually Supertech from Walmart or whatever else may be on sale. And I drive them forever.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I use 7500 mile changes on my Mini Cooper. That's about as long as I want to go. Whatever is in your owner's manual is theoretically correct but I like to be a bit more cautious without wasting money or oil. I also like that somebody is in and under the car at 7500 mile intervals rather than 10K intervals.
    That's no good here since it's usually me getting under the car, lol.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    This oil isn't cheap-VW synthetic is pricy. I'd go 10,000 if most miles are highway, otherwise 7,500. 
  • carboy21carboy21 Member Posts: 760
    edited May 2016
    texases said:

This oil isn't cheap-VW synthetic is pricy. I'd go 10,000 if most miles are highway, otherwise 7,500. 

Why do you have to put VW synthetic ? Even under warranty, my 2015 Hyundai Elantra gets the oil of my choice which I take to the dealer and he changes it with no questions asked. Castrol Edge costs $22 a five quart. I put 5000 city miles with stop and start traffic and no trip longer then 20 miles.
    10,000 miles interval is for highway driving and no one except a traveling salesman will put only highway miles. Europeans are a skint because oil and gas is more then twice as expensive as in USA and distances in Europe are less one-third of what an average American drives .
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    You have to put in synthetic that meets VW specs. Many don't. I didn't mean VW brand oil.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    BMWs that are mostly highway driven can go 18K miles before calling for an oil change. Like @Mr_Shiftright , I like someone going over my car, every six months or so. (because I suck as a mechanic).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I always thought BMW engines were great (the forte of the company, in fact) but I have never regarded them as particularly capable of extreme high mileage---so I'd be inclined not to go 18K between oil changes!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

I always thought BMW engines were great (the forte of the company, in fact) but I have never regarded them as particularly capable of extreme high mileage---so I'd be inclined not to go 18K between oil changes!

Our 2011 is on about that pace... but, I did one in-between. Just so someone puts eyes on everything.

My 2006 is usually on a 15K mi change interval, but I go in every 5K, because they run a $79 oil change special on my model. Then, I take their laundry list of what it needs to my independent, and save 40%.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2016
    The oil wars comments have been moved to A Mechanic's Life.

@thecardoc3's post addresses this particular VW engine so that's worth a look-see.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,349
    guido65 said:

I just purchased a 2016 Jetta SEL automatic 1.8T. I was told by the dealer to go 10,000 miles between oil changes. I know it has sythetic oil. Does this seem a bit long??

Not at all- assuming you use the proper oil that satisfies your car manufacturer's requirements. The GDI turbo in my old Mazdaspeed 3 could easily go 10k miles between changes- and I have the UOAs to prove it. I have no doubt that the N55 in my F22 2er will also easily manage 10k changes- as long as I use an LL-01 oil.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive