Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

To Fix Up or Trade Up, That is the Question

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 20,225
    Break
    More
    Wallets

If anyone thinks the 7 Series are bad (and they really are!) they should check the repair records of an old 8 Series with the 12 cyl engines!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    If you were to choose Euro, which of the following & models would you pick?

BMW

MB

Jag

Thanks as your opinions are respected. E
  • tomcatt630tomcatt630 Posts: 124
    The way so called 'enthusiasts' talk, it's as if any import luxury car 'never breaks down and lasts forever'. But, these folks go on and on about 'new designs', so they don't own them long enough to see them fall apart. :P
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    What's interesting is that before the second owner got hold of the car, only 1 of the original owner's repair bills went over $1000 if I read the page correctly.

That is a staggering amount of repairs and complaints though for a car with less than 60,000 miles on it. The first owner probably dumped it and moved on after realizing that things weren't going to get any better.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Oh I think my friend spent at least $30,000 in repairs on his '98 750iL over the years.
  • delthekingdeltheking Posts: 1,152
    Is that a typo or what ?? 30k or 3k?? Boy,if that`s 30k --then what a waste of money !! ;)
  • lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,306
    That might describe a Lexus LS, but even they have their weaknesses. Bad leather, failing instrument panels, and faulty power steering pumps are a few.
    No typo. I remember flipping through bills from the dealer for $3K--$4K each one.

He still has the car, keeps in out back for a loaner for guests. Now the dashboard is out---you can't read any instruments. Dealer quote was something like $3500. He said "enough" and just drives it blind. I think the gas gauge works and some of the warning lights. The radio works but you can't see any of the stations. Brake light warning is constantly on, nobody can fix that apparently. Check engine light constantly on, nobody can fix that (for more than a week). Many interior trim pieces have fallen off, all the weatherstrip is cracked on the outside. License plate bracket fell off. Has oil leak somewhere, nobody can fix that.

Still drives great, though! :D

And this was a well-cared-for, garaged automobile. About 80,000 miles.
    Out of those three choices, I would lean toward the BMW as long as it was a 3 or a 5 series.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,425
    Thank you!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    Did you know that the MAF for a LS400 retails for $1500? One thing for sure you can't throw parts at that one.
    edited May 2010
    HEADLINES!

Man saves $1416 on Edmunds.com!!
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    LMAO!!

I'd be a little concerned ordering parts from Mattys Auto Parts and Paint Inc more so since they are in Jersey. There's a few for sale on ebay but the problem remains to either tie up the car waiting for parts or ordering from the local Lexus dealership.
    There was his problem right there- going to the BMW dealer for work is probably a quick way to clean out your own wallet.

Did he not find an independent to work on the car after he took delivery? I almost would find the mechanic before buying the car.

For a car with 80,000 miles, that is a rather long list of faults.
    I am seriously considering purchasing a 2008 Volvo S40 T5 from a Volvo dealer. The car has 9,000 miles on it and is currently in use as a service loaner, but I think I would be the first registered owner.

Should I be worried the first 9,000 miles of the car's life was essentially spent as a rental car?
    The dealer has said they will sell me the car for $24,965, but I believe I can open the bidding lower and close in the $22,000-$23,000 range, which is within the book value for the car in "excellent" condition.

Thoughts?
    My opinion is that people who normally screw up cars don't have a rental car long enough to screw it up wheres people who take care of cars can't do a rental car any harm.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 25,800
    I've had a couple of ex-rentals. As long as the car is in nice shape when you buy it, it will be fine. No worse than any other used car.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• I have a 98 intrigue with 77+k miles on it. I am not really a DIYer. In order to pass PA state inspection i will need: rear struts, front and rear brakes, right front hub, front sway bar, abs pump?? or module?? (ABS and BRAKES lights are on on the dash...this is the reason for my initial trip to the mechanic), rocker panels in front of rear tires where car gets jacked up (pinch points??) are starting to rot (mechanic says this needs fixed before anything else), and an exhaust leak that i am not too concerned with. This car starts every morning and runs like a top. I bought it in May of 2008 for $3500. I'd say I got my money's worth but I really don't want to buy a new car. If any of you are reading this what do you think. Should I spend 2000 dollars or so to MAYBE keep it on the road for MAYBE another year or 2 or is this just the beginning. Sorry to be so wordy but I am in a quandary.
  • Here’s my dilemma. Until last week my Miata turbo (speed model) was problem free. Then the alternator belt broke, and I tried to drive it to the dealer on the battery. Big mistake! The battery couldn’t drive the engine. The radiator blew, the engine overheated, and it then seized.

To get the car running again will require a new radiator and a rebuilt engine. Parts and labor have a 12,000 mile warranty.

Cost to repair: $5,000
    Edmunds trade-in value prior to damage: $9,700.
    Trade-in value with a blown engine: Who knows?

I’m thinking about fixing the car and driving it straight to CarMax and selling it. Then I can buy whatever suits me. Or, I can trade it in to the Mazda dealer and buy a new Mazda.

What are your thoughts? Just scrap the car? Would a dealer even touch my car as a trade-in given its current condition? What do you think about my CarMax idea? All advice welcome.
  • I'm confused, the battery could not drive the engine? Or do you mean the battery could not drive the cooling fan that casued the engine to over heat and blow the engine? Normally before and engine will blow due to lack of cooling you will hear many awful noises. I would get a second opinion on this car at an indy garage.

What state do you live in? I may give you scrap value for this car.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    not familiar with a miata engine, but if your 'alternator' belt, is the accessory belt that also turns the water pump for coolant, then you would have certainly overheated the engine.
    Would that happen to have been a serpentine belt? in which case, more than just your alternator was not running!

If you spend the money to fix it, not sure why you would then trade it immediately. You would do better trying to sell it privately as is.

Oh, and the people who write edmunds trade-in values smoke crack. The only way it would be worth that much is if it has no more than 40k miles.

'18 BMW 330xi; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 47-car history and counting!

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Tough one, that's a lot of maintenance to do, and nobody thru the internet can see the condition of the vehicle. My personal concern is when I see old vehicles that have so much wrong, then I know whoever has owned the car has not kept up with maintenance, and there is likely to be other problems as well. You lay in a problem with engine or transmission, and it's toast.

You've got to add an alignment charge to that list, as when you replace those struts, it will need re-alignment.

I've never had an ABS pump go bad, I'm wondering if the problem is something else like low brake fluid.

If rust has attacked those two areas, I guess I would question where else has it rusted that isn't far behind? What are they going to do to fix it, weld some metal plates?
    $3500 for 2 years of use is pretty good. I don't think I'd press my luck with such a car. Sell it to someone else for $1k who can do the work themself, and you can start over again.

• kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 122,742
    I agree.... It's probably only a $2K car, after the work is done... Dump it cheap and go get another one...

That's easy to say... I know decent cars under $4K are hard to find... Good luck with it.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,686
    maybe ask for inspection extensions as long as you can, drive it till the day before you appear in court, then sell it.
    The trouble was the alternator belt also turned the water pump pully.

Depending on the condition of your Miata miles etc, it could very well be totalled.

On the other hand, if it's a nice car otherwise it may be worth fixing and keeping.

Trade in value with a blown engine will be next to nothing. The store taking it in will have to assume the worst money wise and will pay you accordingly.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 23,382
    >There's a few for sale on ebay but the problem remains to either tie up the car waiting for parts or ordering from the local Lexus dealership.

I just ordered some ink on Ebay and placed the order Wednesday night, it shipped on Thursday by USPS and was in my mailbox in Ohio Saturday. It shipped from Oregon.

I don't see the delay in getting parts. How fast does your Lexus dealer get it? Two days? Or do they FedEx Next Day everyday?

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• Maybe if I buy another Mazda, the dealer with give me $500. At least that will save me the trouble of bothering with a private sale.