Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

To Fix Up or Trade Up, That is the Question

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 57,861
    I'd do the windshield, put on a junk hood (or bang it out if it's not too ghastly to look at---let's not embarrass her) and then start shopping for something else while she soldiers on with that one for a semester.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Share Your Vehicle Reviews Here

• jprocjproc Posts: 135
    I'd buy my daughter a new car and keep the 04.If you break down no big deal.If she does?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 66,831
    .If you break down no big deal.If she does?

Motivation to do well in school, get a good job, so you don't have to ride around in a crappy $1000 beater when you grow up?

Sorry.. not in the "buy the kid a new car" camp... and, I've got a 17-yr-old.. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    I'd spend the $400 (or cheaper) on the windshield.

- that will buy you time, to shop and negotiate on an ultimate replacement vehicle. You'll undoubtedly save that much or more in your negotiations, because you aren't hurried and the salesman knows you are a distressed buyer.
    - your ability to sell for anything is minimal if non-inspectable and a broken windshield. With a windshield and mechanically sound, someone will pay 500 to a thousand or more for it.
    - it's a college environment, any piece of crap is acceptable. Who really cares what it looks like?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,600
    Each of the replies you've received is reasonable, so you need to choose. The only one that makes less sense to me is for you to buy your daughter a new car, while you keep the Vibe. Fixing her Camry and replacing the tires makes perfect sense, from a financial standpoint, since you indicated it's mechanically sound. Swapping her Camry for your Vibe, while you buy a new car for yourself, is also reasonable. Whether to keep the Camry as a spare car is a separate decision.

I think your daughter's preference, and how much she'll drive her car in grad school, should be considered, but your preference should prevail. My wife and I have been through this with our kids. Sometimes our decision was greeted positively, and other times less so. Fortunately, which car was never a serious issue, while whether to have a car in college was, at times.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 3,116
    Thanks everyone, for your input. New car for her, not remotely. I am leaning toward shelling out the $400 and crossing my fingers, and possibly selling it this summer if it makes it that long. Actually it seems that's what she wants -- she doesn't want us spending a lot of money on a car with her grad school costs looming. And the Toyota mechanic thinks the car is sound otherwise, although he did advise her not to put $1500 into it. Edmunds used car prices put the Camry at $2000, even in rough condition. Not sure about that, but it may be worth at least $1000 somewhat fixed up.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,294
    ...get a new windshield and a junkyard hood. When cars get to this point, you might as well run 'em into the ground.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Sorry.. not in the "buy the kid a new car" camp... and, I've got a 17-yr-old.

+1!
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,600
    Since your mechanic says the car is sound, and your daughter is happy with that Camry, the problem is solved. Many Camrys go well over 200,000 miles, with normal maintenance and repairs. The big plus here, besides the convenience of already owning it, is that a major cost of ownership, depreciation, is behind you.

One negative is that somebody on a tight budget will be deprived from buying a cheap set of wheels.
  • jprocjproc Posts: 135
    with all due respect your priorities in life seem really wierd to me.I must be totally misreading these posts because .........................
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,330
    Good decision. I did that for my daughter a few years back.
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
  • lmolinalmolina Posts: 1
    Should I get 06 Sonata (w/ 70K miles and paid off) A/C compressor replaced ($1400) or trade in for '11 Elantra?"06 Sonata is paid off for past 6 months - has almost 70K miles on it. In good condition except A/C compressor needs to be replaced - blowing hot air. Don't want to spend $1400 on repairs if it's going to keep costing money and losing trade-in value- is it time to trade in for an Elantra and get the benefit of a new car and warranty and better gas mileage at a good rate - I have been pre-approved for a %3.0 loan.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Posts: 4,883
    $1,400 to replace the compressor?

How much for one that's not made out of Silver?

Shop this job around to some independents... unless the compressor died in a big way and you have to change the condensor and backflush everything this seems very high to me.
    You need to shop around for a better price.

I just replaced a compressor on my vibe at the dealer for less than $ 500. The price you were given seems outrageous. Also, 5 years for the compressor to last would make me think twice about buying another Hyundai.
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    If the compressor seized and threw metal debris throughout the entire AC system, I could see the large bill of $1400, since every component would have to be replaced in the system.

• srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    Gonna be hard to get a decent trade in allowance with the AC not working, on a 5 year old car and reasonable miles.

I would shop around, look for an independent shop that would be more flexible in working with you.

Also, you could just drive it with the windows down ;) .
    This has happened to quite a few CR-Vs... they've all been quoted in the $3000 range for repairs..

Yeah, that's why I tell people that if their AC compressor is getting noisy, DISCONNECT it immediately and save yourself a bundle down the road.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 10,453
    edited July 2011
    "...$3000 range for repairs..."

Why, if a window AC can be had at Wal Mart for $90, does a car AC cost $3000? :confuse:

http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/dude_attaches_home_windows_ac_to_his_car.php-

2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van

The price still seems exorbitant, but let's consider the problem. If you fix the '06 you probably won't have other repairs coming your way and the cost per year will be less than a car payment. I put $1500 into my 10 year old Maxima two years ago and have not had a significant repair bill since (and that was the first serious money I had put into it). For that $1500 dollars I have had two more years of driving a paid-off car. Of course, no one has a crystal ball, and the worry is that you will have more serious repairs coming up -- but I wouldn't think so with a 5 year old car. If you really don't trust your car that much, then why consider another Hyundai?
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 859
    I'm with suydam - if you consider what the payments are for a new car, and then compare that to what repairs would be for a used car, the used car wins every time. Even a complete engine or transimission change is less expensive in the long run.

There are 3 downsides to this strategy:

1) Rusting body work completely changes this picture (but that is pretty much a thing of the past!)

2) Used cars require a bit of flexibility in order to cope with repairs. A second car or alternative transportation is a great help with this problem.

3) Used cars are not very impressive - if that is important to you.
  • You must watch the red-green show.

An automotive AC system is nothing like a home window unit. The only thing the same is the principle of operation.
  • I'll pass on the eurortrash and take a rear drive NorthStar STS over any of these. ;)
  • cadillacmikecadillacmike Posts: 543
    edited October 2011
    Laughing at this one.

My 1995 Fleetwood at 198,000 miles had no issues, no leaks, no falling off trim (I did have the belt line trim repainted a few yeard back). The only thing was that occasionally the memory seat would think i'm 4'8" and move the seat too close up.

My 1996 Fleetwood (83,000 mi) is the opposite. It think's I'm 7'2" and does not move it far enough up. These are two problem free cars, expeciually compared to the 7-series mentioned.
    But no Northstar engines prior to 2000. Many problems with those.

• cadillacmikecadillacmike Posts: 543
    edited October 2011
    My nephew - let's clarify that, my wife's niece's husband, managed to blow the engine in his 2004 Jeep Liberty. Don't know how he did it, and of course he doesn't know - no car sense.

Anyway initial repair estimate is approx $3,500. Car is worth maybe $6,000-8,000 i don't know enough details about it and Edmunds TMV on used cars is usually in fantasy land. Problem is they owe some $8,600 on it still????? I owe less on my wife's 2008 CTS but that's besides the point.

Of course they have no money and want / need us to pay for most of it. I could maybe agree, but this is a never ending saga. Her younger brother is a similar train wreck on cars & financial sense and their parents (my wife's older sister) are a financial nightmare. These guys think I'm their personal banker and my wife has a 100 megaton short fuse when it comes to these subjects. I told her if we agree, then I'm getting a rear drive northStar STS. She said i could have the STS and but not her. That's looking like a better & better deal, but i digress.

Would it make better bottom line $ sense to take advangage of one of those "$5,000 minimum trade in on any new XXX model" from the kia & mitsubshiiti hawks or just sink the $3,500 into this one.

Lets see keep old one means sink $3,500 into an 8 year old car, they they STLLL owe $8,600 on. Trade with one of those "minimum trade" crazies = 8,600 owe - 5,000 trade = 3,600 net negative equity, so initial look is NO - would cost more to buy a new car, even though the new car will have a warranty. But it may mean no money out of pocket for me, since they might be able to roll the $3,600 into the new car.....

If they owed much less on the Liberty, then that would make sense. Am i right on this?
    Er, that's a very iffy solution in my opinion. The $5000 trade-in is, of course, meaningless unless we know what they will charge you for the new car, and then basically, once the smoke clears, your relative will have two car payments instead of one.

Then of course, what do we mean by "blow the engine"? Is it a complete loss, is it a head gasket...what?

I think before I pulled the trigger on anything here I'd get two opinions, AND a very clear description, in detail, of what is wrong with this engine. I mean, you're footing the bill and you have a right to accurate information on which to base your decision.

I don't think the "minimum trade" gimmick is anything more than a manipulative sales tool. They'll just pack it in on the other end of the deal and you'll end up, in reality, getting no more for the Jeep than if you sold it as a parts car.

If I were King ('it's GOOD to be King!" :P ) I'd ask them to sell the damaged vehicle and with whatever they get for it, use that to buy some beater until they can come up with a decent down on a car you may be willing to co-sign on.

"If I were King ('it's GOOD to be King!" ) I'd ask them to sell the damaged vehicle and with whatever they get for it, use that to buy some beater until they can come up with a decent down on a car you may be willing to co-sign on. "

Can't sell it, unless they pay off the $8600 loan...

• Actually NorthStars didn't appear until the 1993 model year, and no rear drive ones until 2004. I had a 2000 Eldorado FWD) and it ran great up until i got sideswiped. It did have that annoying split case oil seepage (small leak but annoying nonetheless), but it (quietly) screamed down the road and was very fuel efficient.

My point was no thanks to the maintenance nightmare euros.