Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota Tacoma vs Nissan Frontier

Comments

• driver56driver56 Posts: 408
    Probably the "safest" Frontier is the Crew Cab which achieved 4 stars for full frontal, while the King achieved 3. The offset for both was "Good", which of course is the highest rating. And the side crash ratings stand at 5 stars. Remember though, that tested vehicles should only be compared to each other within a plus or minus of 250 pounds. The tested Frontier was substantially heavier than the tested Tacoma. More weight, more force. The #1 determining factor for the protection of occupants in a vehicle is still weight.
    Like Critter might say, apples and oranges.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,870
    You got it wrong ustazzaf!

Tacoma did NOT outperform the Frontier in frontal crash testing.
    Actually, driver56 is correct, the Frontier and Tacoma are NOT in the same weight class, and it is not correct to compare ratings for dissimilar weight vehicles for frontal crash testing.
    Since the rating reflects a crash between two similar vehicles, make sure you compare vehicles from the same weight class, plus or minus 250 lbs., when looking at frontal crash star ratings.

Side crash rating results can be compared across all classes because all vehicles are hit with the same force by the same moving barrier.

Rollover ratings can also be compared across all classes.

Both obtained 5 stars in side impact and 4 stars in rollover.
  • critter1critter1 Posts: 104
    Nissan service manager said unless you tow a whole lot Synthetic oil isn't worth the cost. Just change oil at 3000 or close to it. I my self always change before 4k. never get to close. I would guess for Toy owners this maybe true also. ;)

Critter in the Surf Fish'in :D
  • pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    I was told By a Subaru dealer that once you change to synthetic oil you can never go back to dino oil again.
  • ustazzafustazzaf Posts: 311
    So why even bother rating them if my 3200 pound truck gets 5 stars and your 3500 pound truck gets 4 stars, but your 4 stars beat my 5? You are not going to find any 2 vehicles within 250 pounds to compare. Well, there may be a fluke out there, but I would guess that even the one ton trucks by the big 3 are all more than 250 pounds from each other, but I would take a comparison of them to be credible. All of the tests I have seen show the vehicles hitting the same barrier at the same speed. If I bruise my ribs and get a 5 star rating, and you break 2 ribs, resulting in a 4 rating, I don't see the 4 winning. If your vehicle is not designed to hold up to it's own mass, how is it a good excuse to score lower and still be considered better? But, hey, if I missed something somewhere, then I will accept it.
    They can be rated but not necessarily compared. The playing field is simply not level. On paper, to some, the Frontier will not look to be as safe as the Tacoma. Look at the respective vehicle weights of the tested trucks. The Nissan far outweighs the Toyota. The Taco is a relative lightweight in comparison and as a result should perform better in the fixed barrier test. Less mass, less force. In a dual vehicle collision, at those speeds, guess which truck you'd be best protected in.
    The NHTSA ratings are worthwhile, but only tell us part of the story.It really depends on the circumstance.
    Sometimes a 4 will beat a five!
    Think the bed is too small on the Frontier Crew Cab?
    You now have a choice, long bed is an option on the 07 Frontier. :)

2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab and Frontier Crew Cab

The 2007 Frontier includes a number of features shared with the Nissan Titan, including its rugged suspension design, innovative factory-applied spray-on bedliner, Utili-track bed channel tie-down system and fully boxed, all-steel frame based on the Titan’s F-Alpha platform.

Highlighting the 2007 Frontier is the availability of the Long Bed Crew Cab SE and LE models, with a bed measuring more than 13 inches longer than the standard Frontier Crew Cab.
    When will Nissan use the new SAE ratings? Toyota used about a year back. Will Nissan make a new engine and then use the SAE ratings? Or will they just use them soon?

Revised HP and Torque rating on the 07 Frontier.
    The SE, LE, and NISMO models are powered by a 4.0-liter V6, producing 261 horsepower and 281 lb-ft torque. The advanced powerplant includes a Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS), Nissan variable Induction Control System (NICS), silent timing chain, microfinished camshaft and crankshaft surfaces, Teflon®-coated pistons, resin intake manifold, forged crankshaft, digital knock control system, high capacity muffler, lightweight aluminum block and cylinder heads and 105,000-mile spark plugs.
    Moparbad: I'm curious, where are you getting the info on the 07 Frontier?

Thanks!
    Far outweighs? The Toy is 4135 compared to 4455 for the Nissan. That is according to the respective web pages. Throw my 6 year old in and they are in the same class per the 250 pound rule. They are within 7%. I am not going to speculate what would happen in a dual vehicle accident, but it seems obvious that the lighter vehicle will bounce off rather than staying and crumpling. That should be a benefit. 300 pounds isn't going to make a hill of beans difference though. If they are going to do crash tests and comparisons, instead of slamming the trucks into barriers, they need to slam a Toy into a Fronty and then rate them. If the Toy gets a 3 and the Fronty a 5, I will buy the Fronty. If the only info I have is a 5 compared to a 4 barrier test, and I am leaning Toy anyway, I will go Toy. Quite frankly, I don't think there is a noticeable difference between the two. If the trucks had been moved over 2 feet or been going 10MPH faster the numbers could easily been reversed. I just don't understand how 2 trucks so closely in weight can be not considered side by side.
  • riposteriposte Posts: 160
    "I was told By a Subaru dealer that once you change to synthetic oil you can never go back to dino oil again."

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    I would gues that you are RIP! They get twice as much for a synthetic oil change!
    YOU ARE MISSING SOMETHING! We are talking about the tested vehicle weights here, not the weights of the average Tacoma or Frontier. Look up the vehicle weights of the tested trucks, it is listed. And look up the offset crash tests as well.
    Yep, I was missing something. So was the testers. How could the Toy lose 5 hundred pounds between the factory and the test facility? 800 pounds is a major difference. But the fact remains that the only seniero that the test gives any credibility to is an equal weight head-on collision or hitting a stationary object. There is no possible conclusion to be drawn from other crashes. Therefore, you can compare a Mac truck to a Hyundai with the test they conducted.
    My original point, I suppose, was that these tests, like everything else, can be read into. The only comparison in some of these tests ( offset or full frontal ) is to it self. The tests do give one a good idea how well the vehicle has been designed regarding the structure and restraints though.
    The bottom line for me on a safety standpoint is that I would feel as safe and secure in either one of these trucks.
  • richbf2richbf2 Posts: 73
    Hello Critter1!

So far, i have put 15k on my 05 frontier CC. I have been using 5w30. Is this ok? People say, down in Tx, it is too hot to use 5w30. 10w30 is better. It is a brand new vehicle. I dont want to use 10w30. Please advise. :confuse: :confuse: Thanks
  • richbf2richbf2 Posts: 73
    :confuse: Hello Critter1!

So far, i have put 15k on my 05 frontier CC. I have been using 5w30. Is this ok? People say, down in Tx, it is too hot to use 5w30. 10w30 is better. It is a brand new vehicle. I dont want to use 10w30. Please advise. Thanks
    The bottom line for me on a safety standpoint is that I would feel as safe and secure in either one of these trucks.

I have to agree with that. And even more important than the crash rating is the safety equipment they have to AVOID the crash like anti-lock brakes, better suspension for handling, lower roll tendency, third brake light to avoid being rear ended, stuff like that.
    rich! bottom line if dealer saiz 5w30 go with that! I would! ;)
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Posts: 74
    5w30 protects as well as 10w30 in the heat. It is just a bit thinner at "cold" temperatures.
    10w40 would handle heat better, in theory.
    I would not switch to 10w30 or 10w40. 5w40 or something like that would be okay, but maybe unnecessary.
  • ryanceyryancey Posts: 42
    Toyota Recall
    Toyota just had a major recall amid many recalls
  • ryanceyryancey Posts: 42
    I was told By a Subaru dealer that once you change to synthetic oil you can never go back to dino oil again.

I ran my Nissan Sentra on synthetic for over 100,000 miles and then switched back to dino 5-30 oil. I that was 30,000 miles ago and no problems at all and doesnt use a drop between changes.
    I still say that Toyota may have become too big for their britches. Their reputation is becoming tarnished and so what if they become #1.
  • pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    I never know what to believe when it comes from a dealer. They said not to change to synthetic until at least 10k miles and that you could never go back to dino because of the seals. I'm not saying they are right or wrong, I have no idea. :confuse:
    Stories like that are why there is no credibility to recall announcements. The National Examiner has better credibility. There is mention of a engine mount problem, but the rest is simply generalities.
    That aside, my buddy just returned from a trip back east. He mentioned casually that he had rolled his mom's Frontier (03). I thought it must have been years ago considering he was not showing any injury. Turns out he did it less than a week ago, and rolled several times at 60MPH. The only injury he received was a cut when he was exiting the truck. I am Toy Loyal, but I have all the respect for Fronty safety.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    You'll get strong votes from both sides kev7. As for mileage, I own an '06 Frontier 2WD SE Crew with the 4.0L V-6 and the 6-Speed manual and get 22+ on the highway. If you don't like the short bed in the Crew Cab, the Tacoma offers a long bed Crew and this fall, the '07 Frontiers will offer the option too.
  • ryker1234ryker1234 Posts: 4
    I just went through the ringer dealing on a new truck. I narrowed it down to a 2006 Taco or Fronty. It came down to the dealership. I like both trucks. The Tacos reputation of quality vs the Nissans price advantage. I drove both trucks and liked them both. But, I found the Toyota dealer to be difficult to deal with. They act like they are doing me a favor fleecing my wallet for a new truck. Their trade in offer was insulting. $3,000 less than Nissan. On top of that Nissan knocked 1,000 off the sticker and gave me another $1500 rebate. They would not talk price, just kept dogging the Nissan. Anyway, I bought a 2006 Frontier XE and am very happy with it. The ride is good, the 5-speed automatic matched to the 4 banger is amazing. Smooth power, feels like a v6. I traded in a 2001 Ford Lariet Supercab. It was loaded with every option Ford offers. I simply could not accept 15 mpg anymore. To my suprise the Fronty is much more fun to drive.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    Yep, dealers will make or break a sale. I had to go to three Nissan dealers to find one with some intellect, but the third dealer was the charm -- an excellent sales manager and great staff all the way 'round cinched the deal. Like you, I'm very pleased with my new Frontier.
    10-4 Ryker,that was my bigest issue with Toy The dealers mostly suck! When you have #1 product in demand they play hardball on dealing. For the $$$ Frontier delivers, if $$$$ not an issue go for 1 you like best. Personelly I don't think the Tacoma is 2-3k better then Frontier. Opinions are like you know what! everybody has one. My wife describes me as being annal when doing a large purchase,well so be it. I kept my last truck (Nissan) 12 years,before this truck,so yea I do my homework before buying. Goodluck with the new one! ;)
    The dealers mostly suck! When you have #1 product in demand they play hardball on dealing.
    It seems like the dealers are jerks, but if they can sell more vehicles at the list price than the factory can deliver, why bargain? Think about it. If you know you will only get 500 vehicles a month and you know you can sell them all at or above list, what is the incentive to drop the price? When I went looking, the lots looked like a deserted island. One dealer had a half dozen models that were designed for one or two buyers and may still be sitting there. Otherwise, the trucks were sold long before the delivery truck arrived. The number 1 volumne dealer in Wa state told me I would be lucky to see a truck for atleast 3 weeks. That was a week before I bought, and it took them a good month before they called to say they finally had one available.
This discussion has been closed.