Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Mitsubishi Eclipse - 2006 and Newer

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Posts: 5,095
    A reporter seeks to interview owners of the 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Please respond to [email protected] before Wednesday, April 19, 2006 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience with the car so far.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Edmunds Manager UGC Click on my screen name to send a personal message. Need help navigating? Check out Getting Started in Edmunds Forums.
    Need help picking out a make/model, finding inventory, or advice on pricing? Talk to an Edmunds Car Shopping Advisor

• I couldn't agree more. Not only did I look at the automatic (which drove nice), but I also looked at the RX-8, 350Z and the RSX... however, after a month of test drives and research, I choose the loaded Eclipse manual GT - Sunset Pearlescent with matching leather interior. Over 2,000 miles and it gets better every day I drive it. This is the most looks a car I've owned has ever had. While I do think there are some nice competitors out there, it would be a mistake not to seriously consider it for people out there that are looking at their next sporty car purchase.

1st time Mitsu buyer and now a lifetime customer.

Ryan :)
  • duke15duke15 Posts: 161
    My wife is considering a 2007 Spyder, but she also likes the Miata. Anyone want to opine on the pros/cons of each choice (when compared to each other)?
    My wife is considering a 2007 Spyder, but she also likes the Miata. Anyone want to opine on the pros/cons of each choice (when compared to each other)?

--I forgot to say that she is looking at the GT with the V6, and that both cars would need to have an AT.

thanks all
  • bullseye3bullseye3 Posts: 12
    I just purchased a 2007 GT Spyder with an auto trans. I drove both a six speed and the auto and for me the auto was the way to go. I also owned a Miata at one time. The Eclipse is larger, smoother, quieter and more modern than the Miata. The Miata is fatiguing on long drives but is easier to "throw around" in curves. If you are looking for a touring vehicle the Eclipse is the one. I am extremely happy so far.Hope this helps.
    Thanks - it is helpful. We had a car once that was more of a local car and while it was fun, it was a pain to take on longer trips. We are looking for more of a touring vehicle. Do you know if the newly designed Miata is fatiguing on long drives?
    I suspect that the new Miata is more comfortable as it is larger than the one I had. Go drive them both and see if you don't agree that the Eclipse will be a better touring car.
    I admit that I haven't been researching this directly, but I have heard some comments on finance shows that Mitsubishi is having some finacial problems. Does anyone have any more information they have learned? The Eclipse has a great warranty, as long as the company is around to honor it. Thanks
    The next step is to drive the Miata. We drove the Spyder and loved everything about it, but the blind spot which is HUGE. This isn't a concern for me, but my wife tends to scare people that ride with her. If the back seat had any leg room it would have pretty much close the deal, but that would be difficult to do while keeping the overall lines of the car and the small trunk. The local dealer is getting in one with the specs my wife like in about 10 days, so we plan on checking it out.
    Has anyone tried to buy a spyder yet? Through the Costco program I was able to get a quote for $500 above invoice. Using Auto-By-Tel.com I received an email quote for the "special internet price" that was the exact same as the MSRP on Edmunds...
  • dave82dave82 Posts: 43
    Mitsubishi just laid off another 5% of their workforce at headquarters this week, and closed their Chicago office. Sales have dropped about 70% over the past three years.
  • dsellersdsellers Posts: 1
    I'm interested in the 2007 Spyder, but saw that it requires Premium unleaded fuel. Does anyone who bought the car know whether or not you truly need to use premium gas, or is regular fine to use? Will it have much impact on the driving of the car? Thanks!
  • drew119drew119 Posts: 2
    i have the gt and i put premium in it but i've heard that it probably necessary to fill up with premium every tank. i've heard that every 3rd or 4th tank would probably be fine. the thing is though its almost stupid not to fill up with premium every tank. if you think about it and do the math it will only cost you about $150 more per YEAR! to fill up with premium every time as compared to filling it with regular every time. so whether or not its completely necessary i'd say its a moot point. why take the chance for about 12 bucks a month?
  • llonasllonas Posts: 1
    My wife and I purchased a 2007 Eclipse Spyder Gt last Saturday. We love it and my wife enjoys driving it more than the 2003 Saab Conv. we just turned in. We were also concerned about Mishubishi future but when they are offering a good warranty program and knowing they have alot a ground to make up, we felt comfortable in purchasing it. Only problem for us , I did my homework but Car was at sticker price and no break due to shortage and dealers are only getting 2-3 cars every 6-8 weeks. I feel this is going to be a real solid car and a pleasure to own and drive. Good Luck!
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 21
    I won't repeat everything I wrote in the "buying experience and prices paid" thread (please read the full post there), but we will be picking up a 2007 Ultra Red Pearl GS automatic this afternoon, and are paying $400 UNDER INVOICE!! Can't get around the destination charge, so our drive-out price will be $25,076 plus 6% tax. We are thrilled!! It is a base model (no leather or other packages) but that's fine. The leather would have been nice, but we can't beat the price! We were able to deal directly with the General Sales Manager on the phone (he gave us his personal cellphone #) and finalized the deal over the phone this morning!!
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 21
    update:
    We ended up paaying that pesky "document prep" fee, but the deal was still good. And the charcoal cloth interior is actually quite attractive. We enjoyed watching heads turn as we drove today! What fun.
    Does anyone make a grill similar to the one that is in the upper portion of the hood opening on the 2006 & 2007 Eclipse. The upper one is like an egg crate. There is no grill on the bottom and you can see all kinds of nasty things. On my old Miata I was able to find a grill for the bottom opening.
  • dont worry thats where the intercooler will go and you wont have that hollow looking space below!! ;)
  • philsarsphilsars Posts: 2
    Hello,

I'm planning on purchasing a 2007 Eclipse GT in the US, due to the very favourable exchange rate (roughly $8,000 CDN savings after accounting for the GST requirement at the border, plus customs levies); but apparently the US model doesn't meet Canadian bumper requirements (the intercooler can be damaged in an 8 km/h impact); does anyone know the approximate cost I'd be facing to bring the vehicle in line w/ Canadian bumper requirements?
  • rms1rms1 Posts: 3
    I just recently purchased a 2007 Eclipse Coupe and have been noticing substancial tire ringing, or droning, at highway speeds, expecially on concrete surfaces. I drove a similar model at the dealer and noticed it. I feel it is the 17" tire and may be a normal occurance. Does anyone know how to reduce this noise. Is changing to another tire brand a solution?
  • I just bought a 06 Mit. Eclipse GT and was wondering how much people usually pay for regular maintance, i found the website with some numbers but I wanted to know what people are really paying. also, do most people get their car done at a Mitsu dealer? any suggestion on Maintance is appreciated.
  • smodersmoder Posts: 13
    Thanks for the reply. I made the mistake of taking my daughter and wife to the dealership. While she liked the scion see prefers the mitsu. I told her the difference was sunroof(didn't care), ipod(I can burn cd's she says). And of course the extra dollars didn't seem to matter. I told her and my wife the price had to start with a 1. Needless to say, my wife has been on the phone. Thanks
  • I have a GT and have almost gone blind searching the net for performance parts such as bolt tubo-kits. All I have mannaged to find were a few intercoolers and exaughst kits. :mad: Wondering if anyone else has been haven' the same problem.
  • We have a Mitsubishi 2006 gt. Love the car, but lately a horrible odor has been noticed around the right side of the engine and the driver side front wheel well. The dealer replaced the brake pads and fixed the rotors two days ago, alas the odor is back. Anyone else having these problems? Going back to the dealer tomorrow.
  • I have an 07 Eclipse GS. Is there anyway I can change the digital display near the odometer to read MPH instead of KM? I have no use for knowing kilometers per hour!! Thanks in advance.
  • ozzexozzex Posts: 10
    is that smell all the time or when you turn on the air. i have 15,000 miles on my gt now and i was thinking its the a/c air filter
  • I am looking to import an Eclipse GT now also. I am having trouble finding information on the changes required for the bumpers. Were you able to import your eclipse? If so could you let me know about the process? Im most concerned with learning how much it cost? What had to be replaced or modified? How did you prove the work was done?

Thanks so much.

Sean
  • I can't believe how many people complain on here about the styling and features on the new Eclipse. I just bought the 2007 GS Eclipse in Sunset Pearl, and I love the car! They have really loaded up the base model. I also owned a 1999 Eclipse for over 7 years, so obviously I love the eclipses! You cant beat the price, styling, warranty, and aftermarket potential of these cars!

I do think they could improve the back end slightly but think about it, the eclipse is one of the top cars for aftermarket potential. So if you dont like it then change it. I'm thinking of adding chrome rims and possibly a body kit or new fenders to make it stand out.

I haven't found out mpg yet b/c i've only put about 800 miles on it and the first two tanks were free from the dealership, but i'm estimating around 20mpg or about 340 a tank b/c I used up two tanks at about 700 miles. So I think it could be better, but i'm quick off the line and you know when they tested the car they probably let a granny dive ;) They obviously want it to sound as good as possible.

And for all of you who are complaining on here about how ugly the car looks then what are you doing talking on this forum???? Get to a forum with the car you like and talk about that one. I mean if you own a 06+ Eclipse and you really don't like it then let us know about it but if you haven't bought one then keep the comments to yourself.
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 1,222
    Hi, 2007eclipse,

We welcome everyone and their opinions here, whether they're owners or not -- it keeps things interesting.

Enjoy your new ride :)

Need help getting around? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review