Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota FJ Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    theory2theory2 Member Posts: 7
    Sorry about that. No outside links allowed on Edmunds I thought. Pretty sweet though, huh.
  • Options
    bymmasbymmas Member Posts: 1
    please send copy of pictures of FJ; THANKS sammy@atc-inc.net
  • Options
    derail1derail1 Member Posts: 10
    So I picked up the latest FHM last night and saw a tiny little thumbnail of this new FJ with an MSRP price quote of $20,000 under it. I'm a car/truck guy, but I have never been this excited about a new vehicle before!! I love the modern/retro stylings and with a 5000lb towing capacity, this will be the PERFECT new vehicle to tow my boat! (I was looking at the Tacoma and I just cant get myself to buy a pickup.) I can't wait for those pics from "lwholesell". Also, I have only seen speculative pricing this far, maybe you or your dad can give us all the inside scoop on MSRP?
  • Options
    fj07fj07 Member Posts: 89
    Who cares if anyone has pics, aparently we can't share them on here anyway! Well for those of you who were on your game then you got my link while it was up here on the forums. How the heck are you supposed to share info without web links!!!
    I might just have to create my own forum dedicated to the FJ where you can say, do, post whatever you want......
  • Options
    cu1981cu1981 Member Posts: 13
    Was all set to make a deposit. Have owned 2 land cruisers. I misunderstood one minor detail - I thought it was a diesel. I was looking for a cruiser with better milage and the diesel option would have been great. Offer them all over the world. Dealer sent info and I was saddened to learn it was a gas. For the milage difference I would rather have the current LC. I ended up buying a Jeep CRD. Great car. Maybe Toyota will have a diesel LC one day in the US.
  • Options
    cu1981cu1981 Member Posts: 13
    Have your dad request a diesel option from toyota
  • Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
  • Options
    What do you think is in the 3 gauges up on top of the dash in the middle? From ^^THIS PIC^^ it looks like the first one on the left shows the tilt of the vehicle, then a clock, and the last is probably a compass but how does a compass work vertically?
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    it looks EXACTLY like the dashtop gauge set you could get as an option on the 80s 4Runners - how cute if they actually pulled one out of storage to put in the concept truck! :-)

You got it exactly - it was vehicle tilt/attitude, clock, and compass, which was one of those ball compasses like boats have, that float around a center line and show direction in hash marks on the side of the ball.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    No button for the low range - a mechanical lever instead. Probably better - less chance of an electric failure?

The seat fabric looks to be water-repellent, ala Xterra. Nice

No floor mats :)

But a question (even bigger than the winch question) is whether the front passenger seat folds flat as advertised, thus allowing to easily sleep inside the vehicle. To me, it's FJ's major appeal - no need for tents!
  • Options
    Great observation, I like that! The one thing my buddy always says when we offroad his Tundra is that if that button doesn't decide to work we will be stuck...
    I am luvin' everything so far on this rig just hope I can afford the price tag!
  • Options
    rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "No floor mats"

It looks like what that interior needs are some drain plugs in the floor board so it could just be hosed out. :D
  • Options
    Actually if the flooring would have gone over the door sill instead of under it then you would have been fine.
  • Options
    "Actually if the flooring would have gone over the door sill instead of under it then you would have been fine."

???

Do you mean so all the water could would run out the door openings rather than floor drains??

I don't ever recall seeing a vehicle with the floorpan above the door sills. Some form of door sill is needed for structural rigidity in the door areas. If the floorpan is raised above the door sills, you get drastically reduced interior headroom. If the door sills are dropped, then they are more subject to damage due to reduced ground clearance.

Wouldn't floor drains be simpler?
  • Options
    00120012 Member Posts: 8
    The more pictures I see of the FJ Cruiser, the more I like it. I hope Iwholesale will post his pictures so we can see a Cruiser in some other color than blue.
    I do have a little concern about being able to see out of the car. The pillar is fixed, and the three dashboard guages look permanent. I am hoping the front seat will raise up a bit and that the spare tire can be mounted somewhere else if it blocks the view to the rear too much. It seems like I saw a picture of the concept car with the tire resting in the roof cage.
    I could do without the spotlights on the side mirrors.
    It's going to be a great vehicle!
  • Options
    Just look at the picture. The floor near the center console looks to be higher than the door sill. It looks like it just slopes down to tuck under the cheesy plastic door sill. If the flooring would have been wraped over the plastic sill and tucked in on the otherside then you could just spray down that floor without water seeping under the door sill and causing rust.
  • Options
    It does look like shorter people would have their line of sight affected by the three top-of-the-dash gauges. The question is - by how much.

As for the rear visibility, a parking sonar is optional on FJ, and it's a good idea to get one in an SUV - it's a cheap insurance against such unpleasant things as bent bumpers and ran over children

A further look at the gauges reveals what looks like a speedometer and two gauges to the right of it. I would imagine tach is to the left of the speedometer. The two small gauges most likely are the fuel gauge and engine temp gauge. It's doubtful there are any more gauges, as FJ has a "detailed info display" as an option, so there would be the rest of the stuff
  • Options
    patrix7patrix7 Member Posts: 7
    Just some thoughts about the interior...Does it look to anyone else that the drivers seat is really close to the floor? Hope I don't need a telephone book to see out.
    And PLEASE tell me that those tiny rear door windows are NOT sealed in place...If so, although my kids might not be happy, my dog will be very upset and disappointed...might not let me get an fj afterall...
    Still really, really want this thing to fit the bill...like room for dogs, canoe, bikes, fold down seats for sleeping in, dirt roads, snow, trailer etc....
  • Options
    The front seat does look a bit low. However, this appears to be Toyota's thing, as from what I've read 4Runner has the same front seat set up.

I wonder if the seat could be raised. The first seat lever from the left could be for that purpose.

Does anyone know if 4Runners without power seats have front seats which could be raised?
  • Options
    I can't imagine a dog would rule your decision on a vehicle, and yes I am a dog owner. But for me the dog is going to go in the very back if he can't ride up front with me and I am sure that window will roll down like the 4runners. But I wouldn't rule out that little window going down. We can't see the power window buttons on the driver door so there could very well be 4 of them. The passenger side appears to have two buttons wich is typical, one for locks and one for the passenger window. And of course the driver head rest is blocking the view of the rear passenger controls.
  • Options
    patrix7patrix7 Member Posts: 7
    Yea my dog goes in the back of my 4runner now, however a lot of the time it is when the back seats are down. Unfortunately, from everything I've read, the rear window of the FJ won't go down like that of the 4runner. It is apparently going to flip up, however I don't know how well that will work with the spare tire hanging off the back. At any rate, because the rear window in the FJ doesn't go down, it is that much more important for the rear door windows to. I hope they do and so does my dog....and yours probably will too.image
  • Options
    verbotenverboten Member Posts: 18
    I doubt the rear side windows will go down. From the pics no buttons and also not on the Element.
  • Options
    How will it hinge with the glass up on the roof? Or will that glass open too kinda like the Dodge Magnum? It would make more sense for the windo to go down like the 4Runner! And you would think that Toyota knows that is what people like because they have added it to there Tacoma and Tundra crew cabs. I wouldn't count it out..... ;)
  • Options
    It cost's a lot more to manufacture for a retractable window. That's why there are no American cars with them. A pop up window is cheap to make and cheap to warranty.

However, I have never seen a pop-up window with a cut-out or curve in it to allow it to open when the wheel is there.

My wife is going to be pissed if she has to open to doors to put groceries away or have to use the pop-up window with a fairly high beltline.
  • Options
  • Options
    That is some small ugly competition!
    Looks kinda like a first year Honda Civic with a Scout front end. Or maybe Fiat's version of the Mercedes 'G' Wagon. :P
  • Options
    It's a Russian car called Lada Niva Safari. The pic is from Frankfurt auto show. Niva has been seen on Canadian streets since late 70s. I don't think it has ever been exported to USA, and I don't know if anyone is selling Niva in Canada these days. It has a low range and is a poor man's jeep, considering its very low price. But it's not at all bad off-road, from what I've heard. More of a fringe vehicle, of course
  • Options
    paul25paul25 Member Posts: 4
    20 years ago when this model first came out, it was a huge hit (considering roads in Russia outside of Moscow and St.Petersburg).

I wish they would update the model lines at least once every decade ...
  • Options
    "I wish they would update the model lines at least once every decade ..."

Just consider them to be WAY ahead of this whole 'retro' thing.... :P
  • Options
    shaggyfreshshaggyfresh Member Posts: 6
    I really want to buy the FJ, Everything looks great but I can't believe I don't see a sunroof. Any chance of this being available as an option? I just can't imagine driving a vehicle like this without a hole in the roof.

I am also very curous about the operation of that rear tailgate window. If the FJ is really slated of FEB/MARCH 2006 I would think that info should be known by now.
  • Options
    bowmar9bowmar9 Member Posts: 10
    Shaggyfresh,

I've seen nothing that indicates that a sunroof will be offered as an option. The tailgate window will be a flip-up.

See the latest Toyota press release at: http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id=2007FJcruiser_r

Good luck,
  • Options
    derail1derail1 Member Posts: 10
    Check em out! They have the yellow one, and they have some cool pics of the FJ climbing over some pretty fierce looking rocks and terrain.
    www.toyota.com. and then click on the Future Vehicles/FJ cruiser link.
  • Options
    It will have the rear sonar back-up assist, and audio controlls on the steering wheel. Pretty shanzzy (SP?)
    Do you think the overall height of 70.9" will include the roof rack???
  • Options
    I couldn't find them at the Toyota site?
  • Options
    Go back one page to Mesg. #545
  • Options
    00120012 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the heads-up. I had gotten out of the habit of checking that site since nothing had changed for months.
    I am not sure if the two non-blue Cruisers are both yellow or not..one looks yellow and the other looks more like a burnt orange?
    I even like the plain, black steel wheels. I bet some full moon hubcaps would look good on them.
    It's too early to get excited, but I can't help it.
  • Options
    allen101caallen101ca Member Posts: 16
    It's tj orange. That's the color I would pick. Nice. I just wished they would offer hybrid v6 this year as well. (steal highlanders hybrid setup). Anyone know if this engin requires the premimum fuel?
  • Options
    allen101caallen101ca Member Posts: 16
  • Options
    It might look better without a roof rack. Almost like the Range Rover. IMO, A rack on a RR distracts from it good looks.

Anyone interested in a photoshop project?
  • Options
    It is true - if you stay long behind, the others will eventually catch up with you.

Did anyone noticed that the hood on the concept was so much more cooler?

Stupid reason not to buy one, but I am a bit disappointed - they were afraid to make it too out of line for an average car buyer...
  • Options
    verperverper Member Posts: 1
    I agree paul25 - average. I've brought up side by side pictures of the concept and the production models and they have lost the edge. I understand costs determine some of it but there is no tough looking "Hummer" quality to the production model. I had already though about getting one with the steel rims and changing them out for 20"ers like the concept but I'm not sure it's enough. The front and rear windows are taller and one piece. The production model loses something in that translation. The bumper winch and A pillar mirror mounts are tough looking too. Many other features seem to be the same on both. I am glad they changed the interior. Those concept seats looked uncomfortable.
  • Options
    Does anyone else feel that the mirrors are too far back. Shouldn't they be pushed forward a little bit?
  • Options
    I do not think it is the cost driving the change: the cost would seem to be identical (or almost identical).

It is a marketing - the goal is to make the vehicle apealing to as many customer segments as possible (Toyota is known to do it with other good quality but "bland" cars), plus the people who like unusual style, are in (big) minority, so, at the end, they sacrifice the cutting-edge features to be less extravagant (too many folks care about resale value which might be affected a lot by cars like Isuzu Vehicross)...
  • Options
    Here you go PhotoChopped in every angle.
  • Options
    tacojefftacojeff Member Posts: 5
    Maybe I'm in the minority but I am a bit disappointed with the styling, especially the bland front end.
    There seems to be too much of the Honda element in this vehicle. I love the old fj40's and was
    hoping for something more along that line with a removeable hardtop. Wishful thinking... I own
    toyota products and just love the durability and depenability. I really didn't want to go down the jeep
    wrangler road but I just might have to at least wait and see how the new 4-door wrangler turns out.
    Sad thing is I know the jeep won't come close to the fit and finish of a Toyota product. This fjcruiser
    at the moment doesn't ring my bells. Maybe when I see it in person or with an ARB bumper and
    winch on the front and a 2" lift with 33" tires I'll like it better. Still keeping an open mind! Have a great weekend everybody-Jeff
  • Options
    scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    What's the point of the stupidly huge B-pillar?
    The interior pics confirm that back seat passengers will have no view whatsoever.
    Why?
  • Options
    chiefjojo74chiefjojo74 Member Posts: 14
    Here's the link to the new pics: FJ in action
  • Options
    chiefjojo74chiefjojo74 Member Posts: 14
    Does anyone know when pricing will be released? I am thinking it will come in around the $23k-27k range, in order to be competitive with the Wrangler Unlimited and XTerra, while still not cannablizing the 4Runner. I can't imagine it having too many options other than 4WD, and maybe some interior trim options.
  • Options
    mrjjgittesmrjjgittes Member Posts: 156
    Nice photoshop work. Any chance you could put the roof rack back on, and make the FJ in those 3 pictures (or maybe even one of the new pics on the Toyota website) silver?
  • Options
    fjjrfjjr Member Posts: 12
    I've got some nice color chops on my desktop and I'm not finding a way to attach them?? Any help??---I've got a nice silver, tan, black, and green one!

Thanks