Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus GS Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• traylortraylor Posts: 8
    Well, picked my GS up yesterday after second time around on the tires. Diagnosis -- cupping on the two front tires. Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX offered to replace one of the front tires for free (I had to buy the other one) Apparently the cupping issue is recurrent but I am not sure if it is unique to the car or the tire (Dunlops). I gues we'll find out.

Those of you with new vehicles be sure to get the tires rotated so if they cupp you can make a case that they are defective.

Bough the Michelin Pilot Primacy, A LOT quieter and smoother.
  • donbldonbl Posts: 42
    I go to Park Place Plano next week for 5000 mile service.

Thanks for the tip to rotate.

I may also check the alignment.
    Took the car in for the 5000 mile service.

Park Place Lexus in Plano did a "free" for the first time alighnment check and found camber, toe and rear measurements significantly out of alignment.

Since I drove over half of the miles on a recent trip, I must assume the car either loses alignment or my wife it something big (I doubt it).

Sooooo, glad it was found at 5000 miles and the tires rotated. I did get a "kind of" acknowledgement of a cupping problem occurring on the car. Might be the reason for the "free" alignment. The rationale was "sport suspension" are a little more sensitive......
  • bobny57bobny57 Posts: 30
    When should I change the coolant on my 2004 Lexus GS430? I've got 14,000 miles and 2 years of ownership. The owner's manual is silent on this subject. Does that mean that the car comes with a lifetime coolant? My local mechanic recommends changing it every two or three years.

What is your opinion. Thanks in advance.
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    I've been on a Lexus Forum that complains bitterly about the A/C not blowing cold enough and also cutting out when the temp outside gets too warm. I also heard that the seat cooling system is crap. I live in Florida and am thinking of purchasing the GS350 later this year but am having second thoughts because of this problem. Anyone else out there feel that the GS300 A/C is just adequate?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    The Lexus automatic climate controls run in a most highly in-efficient mode. Once the cabin is cooled to within a few degrees of your setpoint the outlet airflow will only be slightly cooler than your setpoint and the blower speed will be as low as is possible to alleviate driver discomfort from the noise.

The way the system works once the cabin nears your setpoint is this:

First, ALL incoming system airflow is CHILLED to as close to freezing as is possible. Keeping in mind that the blower speed is now likely at minimum the airflow exiting the A/C cooling evaporator is very likely to be below 40F.

Now the CHILLED airstream is divided, the major flow being routed through the HEATER section to be reheated and then remixed with the still COLD portion that bypassed the heat cycle. That results in a system outflow from the dash that is cool, cooling, but not so cool as to be discomforting.

There are two reasons for using what seems a very wasteful and inefficient system. First, it is basically impossible, at least economically, to regulate or modulate the level of cooling provided by an A/C refrigerant cycle. It is much easier to regulate the reheat/remix levels of the airflow.

The second reason is to dehumidify the incoming airflow to a more comfortable level for the passengers.

If you find that the automatic mode of the Lexus climate control system provides inadequate cooling capability you can control it manually in a way that improves the cooling capability quite dramatically, at the same time reducing the cooling load on the radiator, and improving FE.

Simply turn the temperature setpoint to maximum cooling (the system will then automatically switch from fresh to recirculating airflow) and then use the blower speed control to regulate the passenger cabin's comfort level.

If the dash outlet airflow is too cold for your comfort then you can manually re-route it to footwell mode.

Now the A/C compressor will not cycle nearly as often as before resulting in less HOT refrigerant to be cooled via flowing through the condensor in front of the radiator.

Therefore the A/C is a lot less likely to be automatically shut down due to rising engine water jacket temperature on an extremely hot and humid day.

You might also find FE improving in the range of 5-10% using this method.

For those Lexus climate control systems that do not have a hot water flow shutoff valve in line with the heater, like my 2001 AWD RX300, you can add additional cooling capacity by adding a manual shutoff valve inside the engine compartment to prevent any inadvertent radiant heating of the system airflow via the nearby HEATER inside the system plenum.
  • traylortraylor Posts: 8
    I own a 2006 GS 300 and live in Dallas, TX where from time-to-time it gets a little warm and sticky. The AC in my car damn near freezes me out --even when it's a hundred outside.

You can cross that one off as a source of potential concern.

Good luck.
    I agree with Traylor as I also live DFW area and the car cools very nicely
  • harboharbo Posts: 136
    Agreed on AC performance. We live in Arizona (DRY HEAT) and my 02 GS 300 and 02 Sequoia will freeze your Tush off.
  • bocatripbocatrip Posts: 194
    What a difference going from one Forum to another makes! One trashes the A/C, and edmunds can't say enough about its merits. Go figure! However, No one commented on the seat cooling system!
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    I agree that the AC is more than adequate. The seat cooling, however, leaves a bit to be desired. It's helpful, but it's not all that powerful. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 7.
  • ghraiaghraia Posts: 11
    I am thinking about a GS. I see a lot of posts here about rattles and squeaks, and also vibration and tire noise. Is there anyone on the forum without these problems?
    no rattles, no squeaks and no vibration.

Car has about 6500 miles on it.

The original model problems on rattles and squeaks had to do with the windshield whose design was changed late last year.

Vibrations are inherent in the high performance soft tires as they wear (at about 10K miles).

Good luck,
  • neelpneelp Posts: 2
    I just bought my 2006 GS430 in July and I've had an annoying rattling problem that comes from the drives side of the car. Its an intermittant noise so I had no luck first 2 times I took it to Lexus. Finally, I told the dealership take care find it and fix it....they have a representative from Lexus coming in this weekend to look at it. I have also had squeaking noise from the bushings which they are also addressing. The car is great overall....but I am very annoyed with all the issues going on.
    Has anyone else had a rattling noise from the Drivers side...If so, has it been resolved....Please help
    I am on my second GS300. First one a 1998. Current one a 2002 with 65,000 miles. Both have been perfect. No shakes, rattles or rolls.
    >The original model problems on rattles and squeaks had to do with the windshield

That was just one of the problems. There were also problems with the ML speakers, seat rails, molding in the rear window, and glove box. All of these resulted in TSB's from Lexus.

Others, myself included, have had many other rattles and squeaks as well that haven't been as easy to eliminate.

>Vibrations are inherent in the high performance soft tires as they wear (at about 10K miles)

If you're talking about the run-flat Dunlops, those aren't soft - they're hard. That's why they transmit more force into the car, which results in more rattles. At around 10K miles, due to the noise from the Dunlops, I got a set of Pilot Sport A/S and have been very happy with them.
  • tomciutomciu Posts: 1
    hi, i have a problem with my GS 3000 year 2000. every time it gets cold or when i break the light comes on "BRAKE". its getting on my nerves. its the same light that comes on when u hit the hand brake- which in the lexus u hit with ur foot. What is the problem?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Add some brake fluid so fluid "contraction" in the cool/cold doesn't lower it below minimum.

Hmmm...

MY2000, 6 years...

Or in the alternative install new brake pads which would undoubtedly "push" some of the fluid back into the reservoir.
    My first 1998 GS 300 (88,000 Mi) and my second 2002 GS 300 67,000 Mi have no squeaks or rattles.
    I guess they fired the guy that built yours before they built my 2006 GS300.