Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Pilot 2006

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    IMO, read the fine print very, very well

Excellent advice! As for the $500-800, I suppose it depends on what your priorities are. :)

tidester, host
  • That is a good point Steve, but I really didn't want to spend $1,000 on new tires when the vehicle is new. :)

I will just have to get back into bed with AAA. Not my preference, but that is probably a better deal.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,683
    I think Odyssey tires are close in size (but maybe not the runflats?), so there's an option. Then the tire pressure monitoring system probably would flake out, lol. :shades:

I've never liked AAA's lobbying efforts but then again, I've always changed my own flats and never had anything but towing coverage and now that's be changed to roadside assistance and it's free with my auto insurance (AIG).
  • gollamgollam Posts: 29
    anyone know if honda is planning on a hybrid pilot?..model year 2008?..i'm sure it will sell like hotcakes if they do?...
  • Well, my wife and I closed the deal on the new Pilot last night. Just in time for the end of the month. We ended up with a Silver 2006 4WD EX-L with Navigation. It is a beauty of a vehicle. It was delivered yesterday morning, and we were out of the dealer by 8 PM last night. First time I have bought a vehicle that did not even spend the night on the car lot. We are looking forward to many years of happy driving.
    :D :shades:
  • master1master1 Posts: 340
    Definetly not for this model Pilot. Possibly the next redesign model will have a hybrid some time.
  • anyone know if honda is planning on building a bigger pilot?..i.e. bigger third row, making access easier...

if so, for 2008 model year?..

thanks
    Honda has not told the public about their plans for the 2008 Pilot - redesign. Only some Honda employees know about the next redesign Pilot that will come out. But I can say that this Pilots third row seat will not change, and they will not be manufacturing a larger Pilot this year. The next Pilot will be smaller, and a bit lower - that I can tell you.
    I can guess and say the next full redesign Pilot will come out sometime around 2007 summer or 2007 fall.
  • What is the width of the Pilot including the mirrors? I need to know if I can fit it in my garage or not.

thanks
  • Does anyone have some light-duty off road experience in a Pilot? We occassionally drive on a local beach w/ some soft sand. All the Pilot owners I've talked to haven't ventured off of paved roads. Thanks.
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    I've driven our '06 4WD Pilot on some beaches here in Washington. Nothing like sand dunes but I pushed my luck in some deeper sand and the Pilot did just fine, I didn't even have to deflate my tires. I've had no problems in snow either so I doubt any light off roading will cause much trouble. Even a 2WD version would probably do ok with light offroading.

tom
  • sas1sas1 Posts: 19
    I have the 2wdr version and have taken it into some pretty rough Arizona terrain. A wide stance, decent ground clearence and particular traction control does wonders.
  • glv2glv2 Posts: 7
    I am considering buying a 2006 Pilot 2WD LX. Honda says the mpg estimates are 18/24. I have seen several people post reviews saying they are only getting 13 to 14 mpg for a combination of city and highway driving. I am assuming this is for the 4WD model but still concerns me because the 2WD is only supposed to get a mile or two better mpg than the 2WD. Should I really expect to get 18/24?
  • 01mdx01mdx Posts: 45
    I have an 06 Pilot from this Spring but I also have an 01 MDX, which basically shares the whole understructure of the Pilot. Last summer I had the MDX on the sand dunes (ORV sticker required) and after deflating the tires it handled pretty darn well. The biggest limitation was the tires and the ground clearance/suspension as I bottomed it out by going a bit too fast. But I never felt that I would get stuck. Assuming you are careful, you should have nothing to worry about in the sand - just avoid the obvious sand traps that will require a jeep or a buggy.
  • Does anyone know why Honda has not put automatic door locks on the Pilot? This seems to be a basic safety feature found on most vehicles. Thanks
    It's just because they didn't. Maybe to save $10.
  • I have test driven the pilot after finally making a final decision NOT to buy the Odyessy. For some reason the Odyessy seats are just not good for my back, my 2001 odyessy was just as bad. However the pilots seats are a lot better, they sit me up straighter and feel better. Anyway the left rest thing on the driver side on the floor feels kind of funny when you have long legs like me. My friends 2 year old pilot does not have that . Has anyone had any problems with not having enough leg room in this car. I am hoping it will be okay and I will get used to it. THanks
  • markjennmarkjenn Posts: 1,142
    The general concensus is that the Honda numbers are optimistic, perhaps moreso than most vehicles. Some are approaching them, but most are doing considerably worse. I'd guess the overall average for the 4WD version is 15 city, 20 highway. Because of cylinder deactivation, the 2WD does slighlty better, just as the numbers show. So figure 16-21 for the 2WD.

Of course, it all depends on your driving. Some are getting into the sub-12 mpg range and others are eeking out 25 or a bit better on the highway. But these are the outlyers.

Personally, my Pilot is the first car I've owned that hasn't matched or exceeded the EPA city number in my overall mix of driving. And it gets two-mpg under itw EPA city rating whereas my previous SUV, with one mpg lower EPA ratings, typically exceeded the city number. My Pilot is basically getting what I'd expect a V8 Tahoe to get. Honda says it is to spec, but I'm disappointed in the fuel mileage of the Pilot.

- Mark
  • I agree. Our Pilot has not "broken in" yet, but I think that the EPA ratings are off by at least 10-20% for this model. Either way, it was the vehicle we wanted, so we are dealing with it, but there is a level of disappointment.
  • I have to agree with this, as it seems the Pilot is getting near the same gas mileage that my 2003 Explorer did. We love the extra room, nav, and other features that the Pilot has, but I had been hoping to do a bit better when filling the tank. I have less than 1000 miles on it, so maybe it will improve?
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 22,303
    Interesting. Out of all ~20 cars I've owned, our Honda Pilot and now my Accord are the only 2 vehicles that have gotten near the high end of their EPA numbers. We consistently got 20-21 in the Pilot and I am getting 27-28 in the Accord (V6 6-speed).

I've owned many many other different makes and models and they consistently gave me within 10% of the CITY number only (except my Dodge Dakota which was WAY below!).

Just goes to show you, experiences vary greatly.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

it seems the Pilot is getting near the same gas mileage that my 2003 Explorer did.

What kind of explorer are we talking about here? For instance, if I look at an '03 XLS AWD, its got a 4 liter V6 with 210 hp and carrying 4400 lbs of vehicle. The Pilot, in contrast, also carries 4400 lbs and has over 240 hp. To get the same mileage in these 2 vehicles is to be expected, and even favorable towards the Honda given its increased output.

'17 F150 Crew 2.7; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '09 LR2 HSE. 44-car history and counting!

• wow, you are lucky, that is not the norm at all.
    but its not abnormal. I've heard from many many folks on a dedicated pilot message board who have similar and some even better.

• I think I am on that board. :-) I have not heard many people getting over 20 on their 2006. I am not sure of that though. I guess mine is still breaking in.
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    We just took a long road trip- mostly highway- I got 21mph with a Yakima rack on top.

City wise we only get 13-14, but we live where there are a lot of hills and my wife has a lead foot!

tom
    i don't know about the '06. I assumed it shouldn't be a whole lot different than the '03-'05.

• Just when i am getting ready to go to the Honda dealers and see what kind of deal I can get on a 06 or maybe an 07 I have another snag to worry about. A friend of a friend told me that the Pilot is not any bigger than the Ford Explorer and 3 kids would be too squished in a pilot. THey are 12, 10 and 6, only the 6 year old in a booster. So now I am back to thinking do I get the Odyessy even though it is not as comfy as the pilot. But maybe it will just do. Can anyone give some advice on whether they would do the pilot with 3 kids, and if not what car would you do? The Sienna is OUT and can't afford the big SUV's. We also have a labrador dog but she only goes on a handful of trips with us. THanks