Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently (within the past three months) purchased an SUV and crossover because of its optional or standard third-row seating. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 10, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jetfxr69jetfxr69 Member Posts: 2
    I just negotiated a deal on a new 2006. It is located in Northern Vermont. I got a 2006, 7-pax ltd w/DVD and NAV, and an upgrade to a 6yr/100000 mile classic warranty, along with a set of subaru factory service and parts manuals included for $29000 out the door (no add on fees). I will be registering it in New Hampshire which does not have sales tax, so no taxes either.

The car only has 53 miles on it, so, no its not a demo either. I was surprised at how many of these were left over in northern new england as this is great country for subarus. The invoice was somewhere around $35700 and with the $2500 financing rebate, brings the cost down to $33200.

I worked another local dealer over pretty hard for 6 months on the same model and then took his best offer ($30777), to a neighboring dealer. The second guy didn't even flinch when I told him I would offer $29000 and asked for the warranty.

I realize that the car is already a year old, but with 53 miles on it, its still a brand new car. I believe I am getting a great deal on this after reading some of these other posts. What do you all think?
  • tupintupin Member Posts: 71
    I'll say it's a great deal!!! There are a lot of 06's still around in New England. Perhaps there are some unannounced incentives on the 06's as well now.

What color?
  • jetfxr69jetfxr69 Member Posts: 2
    Mahogany Red with gray interior. We wanted the Red,but with beige interior. Will learn to like the gray for that deal though.
  • chillydchillyd Member Posts: 2
    We were quoted $33333 on a new 2006 subaru tribeca 5 passanger (show room item) located in NYC area. The vehicle come with, Leather Interior, Nav., Puddle lights, Roof Rack, Moon roof, Rear Cargo Mat. The dealers incentives rate are 2,000 rebate with 0% 24 months financing. - can we get a better deal or are we on target with the purchase of this leftover 2006. We were also thinking of getting the 2007 5 passanger with the same options (excluding the Nav. system) what would be a good price on the 2007?
  • newb9newb9 Member Posts: 4
    I purchased the same exact car 3 weeks ago (no puddle lights) for 29,900. Your deales definitly has some room to work with. good luck
  • chillydchillyd Member Posts: 2
    Plan to re-negiotate on the Subaru 2006 - seams there is room for negioation. However, after reading up on the the Engine Troubles and the rpms, I wonder if the 2006 is worth it.

Wouldn't we be better off with the 2007 quoted to us for $34,###(low) with same specs. (excluding Nav.-dont realy need it): with financing 2.9% - 5.75% for 3 yrs. After all, Subaru may have got the engine problem sorted out on the 2007 by now?
    There is no engine problem. A few isolated complaints but certainly nothing widespread. The engine carries on into 07 unchanged. I have an 06 and my dad has an 07. He got a 5 passenger limited with no nav for $30,326 after a 1250 rebate.

I would offer the dealer $28,000 on an 06 5 pass limited.. If he doesn't respond...try a new dealer.

See the actual pricing at www.cars101.com and check to see if the 1250 rebate is still on in your area.
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    I think this just came out. Got a GOOD rating. :shades:
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=579
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I hadn't seen those detailed results, but I'm not surprised given it made the safest list for SUVs.

-juice
  • deep4deep4 Member Posts: 4
    I just got new 06 7-pax ltd tribecca w/Nav black ext w/ grey int.for $28,888 from Patrick North Subaru in Wilmington, MA. The car had 63 miles on it so it is practically new. The price was further reduced when I traded my 99-taurus 102K miles for 1800.
    It may not be WOW deal, but going by the national average of 32,000 I think I managed okay. Since I have to register in MA so I had to pay $1300 TTL.
  • mystromystro Member Posts: 64
    One question,is the 06 Nav system upgradable for the rear-view backup camera?

This is the one issue I've seem the most complaints about,the lack of vision for backing up in tight areas,many people are adding wireless systems so if you can't retro fit an OEM system there are options.

I think the price is acceptible considering it will have the full warrenty from date of sale.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Not boasting (while, maybe I am a bit) Just turned 22k on my 06 demo that I got less than four months ago with 10k on the speedo. Still getting around 21.5 mpg since I got the vehicle (actual based on consumption, a lot of highway miles)

I am a very good driver, had not had a moving violation in almost 25 years, but never had had an accident involving another vehicle in my life (I am over 60) and only one time over 30 years ago had a brush with a guardrail in a blizzard. Other than that, a perfect record.

There is no doubt in my mind, however, that with the extremely poor visibility while backing up I will surely hit something in the future. I just hope nothing alive.
    This vehicle is the absolute worst one I have ever had for rear visibility. Probably get one of those wireless jobs; I see them now advertised for less than $100.

Other than that, I love the car!
    I've been test driving several different SUV/CUV's over then last 2 months finding most of the cars in this class suffer the same issue,it's certainly not just the TriB although it may be close to the top of the list and this from a company which leads the pack in safety. It looks like design factors far outweigh backup safety.

Be sure and shop around for a better quality color system with lower light sensitivity for nite backing.RV owners have been using these for years and Campingworld has one onsale.

BTW,excellent driving record for sure..have you ever taken an advanced driving course just for fun? When we get our new Subaru we have plans to attend the bridgestone winter driving school in Colorado,reviews say it really sharpens skills.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    FWIW- the backup camera on the '07's (w/ Nav) is excellent. It quickly switches the big screen over to the camera whenever you put it in reverse, has excellent visibility at night, and has colored lines that show exactly the width of the car. Sure- it's more expensive than an aftermarket system- but if you're buying a brand new (luxury) SUV- who the heck wants extra stuff sitting on the dash.

Granted- you can buy an '06 a few grand cheaper, but it will be worth less when you sell it a few years from now as well- so factor that in.
    A small 2 1/2 LCD monitor clips on to a sun visor or thereabouts.

Yes the 07 Nav has a great BU camera but you don't need to spend $2K to have one.

Depends on how much you'll save on a *new* 06..it can be substantial and well below invoice and just what frugal shoppers most enjoy..the good deal but 07's can also be 'a good deal' if your a savvy buyer/shopper.
    Murano, Infiniti FX, and RAV4 are also horrible for backing up.

RAV4 may be the worst, because on top of the wide D-pillar you have the big spare blocking even more of the view.

-juice
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Whatever driving "skills" I may have must have peaked several years ago. I guess I am just very lucky. Have had my share of close calls over the years, but I do believe my record is quite remarkeable considering that I have averaged approx 35,000 miles per year for over 30 years now. Not as much as an over the road truck driver, but that's still over a million miles!

I just have a feeling I will be backing into something that I can't see with this particular vehicle.
  • mazdax605mazdax605 Member Posts: 89
    Hey guys,

I can't believe what is going on right now.Last week we had a salesperson from our Subaru dealership call us to ask if we were interested in opting out of our lease on our 2005 Forester X early.We called the guy back,and told him that in fact we had been thinking recently about what we are going to do at the lease end in September of 07 with the car.We absolutely love the car,but with 2 kids(both in car seats),and my large build we were thinking that it does get a bit snug from time to time.We asked if we could come in,and test drive a few different larger vehicles(Tribeca,Outback wagon),and he said sure,so we made an appointment.

If any of you have young children you understand that going to a car dealer to test drive a few cars is not the most pleasurable thing on earth with the kids getting restless,and the constant moving of car seats.We ended up being there around 3 hours with test drives,and negotaitions.

Well we test drove a 7 passenger Tribeca with leather,and NAV.We really loved the car.,but the price was out of our range even with it being a former executive car that had around 2000 miles on it,but it is sold as new.We talked numbers,and the 7 passenger with leather and NAv was going to be $430ish a month after satisfying our forester X lease,and little to nothing out of our pocket.We said we would talk about it,and then the sales guy came up with another option of a 5 passenger leather,NAV model with only 1200 miles on it in the light green color for around the same $420ish a month on a 48 month lease.

Well lets fast forward to this morning.The sales guy called me begging to trade in our X.He said they are willing to give us $16 for the X,and they are discounting the Tribeca 5 passenger with leather and nav to $27.3K.He told me that they really want our X,and that they are willing to do this deal,and have a lease program at $399 a month with around $980 out of pocket.He says that the $16 for our forester satisfys the elase,and gives up around $2k in equity which is sweet,but I wonder if this is as good a deal as he is making it out to be.Also is the $27.3K a really good discount on a 06 Tribeca 5 passenger with 1200 miles,Nav,and leather?

We went into this whole thing thinking the 5 passenger was our best bet with the lower cost,but while we think about it the 7 passenger makes more sense for the future if the kids want to bring friends along with themor if we have friends that don't want to take 2 cars.

My wife,and I both liked the Tribeca,but my wife is thinking that maybe we should get a vehicle with sliding doors for ease of loading people,and such.What are your thoughts?We want to get a larger vehicle,and not break the bank,plus the thought of never ending leasing does nothing for me,but may be the only way we keep the payments managable while still driving newer vehicles.

I am about ready to just say forget about it,and ride the elase on the X out,and then maybe buy a used min-van,but I am not sure my wife is up for that.Sorry for the novel,and any input on this is appreciated.Thanks.

Chris
    Confused in Massachusetts
    One thing I'm very sure of,the difference between the Tribeca and anything else with or wo sliding doors will usually be step downward especially safety and AWD and VCD prowess,the TriB is a solid 5 star all-around.

OK,what I'm reading here and getting from feelers,you can get somewhere close to $1200k *below* invoice on the 07's,the executive demos (make sure they are not rentals)should be had closer to $26k checking KBB. BTW, The nationwide subaru trade-in program which lasts till Jan 2 is called the GTP and it only applies to purchasing new cars from what I can tell but if you can swing a deal on an loaded 06 closer to KBB price with what you consider a fair allowance for your X.. very tempting.

Be sure and read all the Tribeca forums here for all the latest.
    I'm cross-shopping a Tribeca with a Sienna, and the trouble I'm seeing is once you equip a Sienna they cost you dearly. Even used XLE models are way, way up there in price, over $30k for a used '06 model with some miles.

I found a CPO Tribeca for about $4k less, so I may get that once I'm ready.

-juice
    Of course- it's your decision, but methinks that the 'beca will drive a heck of a lot better than anything with sliding doors, be exceptionally safe, and have one of the best AWD systems around. Great braking distance as well (better to avoid an accident, than be safer while getting in one)

The 7-pass- not only do you get the extra seat, but also, extra AC vents and control in the back. nice.

For an '06 still on the lot, he should be willing to practically give away this vehicle. The '07's have a number of new features- such as the seat memories and back-up camera that's really really handy, as well as suspension improvements, and some safety stuff. Realize, that a few years down the road, an '07 will be worth a couple grand more than an '06- so it might be a difference worth paying now.

Note- The dealer does not really 'want' your Forester, he wants to sell you a new car, so he's telling you that he 'wants it'. It's an old trick- knowing that you'll need to buy a new car if you sell your old one, so, they call up people and tell them that they need good used cars for their lot. Clever huh?

Hard for us to say if the $27.3K is a good deal, as he's got you on a number of fronts- trade in, lease, payments, new car sale. It never hurts to shop around... and do it via email/phone. Once you step foot into the dealership, it gives them the edge.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    FYI, we were offered a price of $26.5k for an '06 7-pass Limited (that's your leather model) w/Nav. Very tempting, but it wasn't the best time for us to buy, and I'd really like to see how Subaru re-works the '08 B9 Tribeca expected in about 6 months. That's another thing to think about... in 6 months, your "new" '06 will be a 2-year-old model with an old bodystyle. (No one's sure about how much it's going to change, though. Could be just grille, could be more significant. I've seen it called a "re-skin".)
    Check out www.cars101.com to see invoice pricing. That's a pretty good deal. I'd try a hardball on him. Tell him you'll take the deal if it's for the 7 pass. We have the 7 pass and for the same reason...in case we have to carry some extra kids around. We love our 7 pass Limited. Remember, it's ranked one of the top 13 safest vehicles on the road...let the wife stew on that.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/

As for the restyle. I don't see Subaru doing much dramatic. Our previous 9 year old Forester looks pretty much the same as the current forester....and that's after a couple of supposed complete makeovers. I predict it will get a new front end treatment and that's it. That should be enough to silence the naysayers.
  • cocopandancocopandan Member Posts: 5
    Hi! We're new to the forum- planning to purchase a 7-passenger Tribeca 2007 Ltd in the SF Bay Area soon. Got a few quotes from our initial online inquiries- the lowest is $29.9K, or $32K with Nav option.

Is this reasonable? Is the Nav option really worth the extra 2K? Our plan is to start negotiating at $28.9K ($2.5K below invoice) for the Ltd with no Nav. Any tips / suggestions would be appreciated..
    Aftermarket nav systems are awfully tempting at the prices they are at now. It is nice to have it integrated into the dash but I think if I wasn't going to use it much I might save the money and get an aftermarket one if I really needed it. That said, I do like our Becky nav and use it more than I thought I would....keeps the kid entertained as well.

Remeber to get puddle lights as well...pretty easy to install yourself...detailed instructions available online too.
    firstly- $2.5K below invoice sounds like a terrific deal. Best I've heard about.

Certainly- if all you want a navigation system- you can buy one cheaper aftermarket. But- it's certainly worth something extra to have the system all nicely integrated into the vehicle - plus you get a much larger touch screen system than you will get with an aftermarket. Also, there are some extra screens that come with the system that are fun and useful.

For me- pretty much the whole reason why I got the Nav system is so that I could have the backup camera. It's terrific, works well even at night, and is something I use EVERY day. I'd also imagine that when it comes to selling the vehicle in a few years, the Nav system will be worth a bit extra- so perhaps you're not really paying for the whole $1800.

Another thought- you're buying what is essentially a brand new luxury vehicle. Do you really want to be glueing things to your dashboard on your new car?
    I'd be tempted to pay the $29.9k and get another Garmin like the one I have now.

Costco has the latest c520 for $399. They have some Korean off brand with a 7" touch screen for $399 as well, but I'm not familiar with the model or even the brand. Tempting, though.

-juice
    Just guessing but with Subrau's history of *not* making the huge reskins the *becky* (as someone called it) should basically remain the same with just the usual changes, my crystal-ball predicts the 08 changes as HID's and LED's,wheels and maybe a HP boost. :P
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    That's definitely their history, but I feel that if they're making a "reskin" after just two years due to consumer feedback, I'm expecting a bit more than normal. I am prepared for a let down, however. :D HP boost... yeah, we'll see the 3.6 or 3.7 H6 as an option, I'm pretty sure. I'm also pretty sure we'll see the new SI Cruise, and maybe they'll have SI drive available by then for the H6s rather than just the turbo cars in the lineup. I'd be happy if they made 3rd-row access easier, too.
    Redone front grill and a 3.3l engine. That's what I hear. Subaru seems to be listening to the feedback and many reviews touch on the front end styling and the need for more power. I'd be a little wary of a new 3.3l engine...perhaps the exact same as the 3.0 only more hp and torque? As for the front...I expect something like the current european legacy/outback grill.
    http://www.subaru-global.com/
    http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/subaru_co_uk.nsf/LiveByRef/PMAS-6UNMJ7?OpenDoc- ument

Just a guess...hope it won't be a bland square grill like the Forester...no offence to any forester owners.
    They're gonna go conservative with this styling update. Once bitten, twice shy.

I doubt they'll keep it at 3.0l, the first version of this engine made 212hp, it's already been tuned for more power. Besides, torque is what will help most.

-juice
    Part of Subaru's loyalty factor with it's customers has been it's very conservative approach to changes,you can see this in all the models thruout the years. The Becky will no doubt follow this famous trend.
    That's not what I'm hearing.

We'll see.

Even though the WRX has kept the same basic body, the "face" has changed dramatically to give it 3 different looks.

At the very least I expect a revamped front end and a bigger engine. Maybe more.

-juice
  • n0pan0pa Member Posts: 5
    Got a quote on a 7 pass with DVD & Nav for 34,709 + TT. That a good price? The breakdown was $35,959 discounted price and 1,250 rebate. Other then base options it had puddle lights and auto dim mirror. Thanks in advance.
    That seems a little high. I saw $32k at fitzmall.com for one with all except the DVD, and I can't imagine that would add $3 grand to the price.

I'd keep shopping.

-juice
  • gfish49gfish49 Member Posts: 27
    Trying to decide between an 06 or 07. Leftover 06 Blue Ltd msrp is $39,217 and dealer is selling to me for $32,775, includes NAV & DVD. 07 White ltd msrp is $38,215 and dealer would sell for $34,296, includes NAV and special edition package.

Are these good deals or could I do better? And if so how much better. Like the 07, even though it is more, because of the backup camera, but 06 seems like a much better buy.

Thanks for the help!

Greg
    That leftover is a bargain, especially if you don't need an aux input and don't care about the rear cargo cover.

-juice
    Greg,if you've been reading this forum then you know people are buying 07's at $1250 *below* invoice and lower..that should be your benchmark.
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
    I put in my order for my 7 passenger B9 Ltd in October and I need a delivery of December 10th and now my sales guy can't seem to get any answers for me. I have been calling him and he can't seem to get his "dispacter" in IN on the phone because they are sick.

We really needed this car before our trip up to the mountains over Christmas. I guess we'll have to rent a car now!
    Ask the dealer to supply a loaner. Seriously.

Did they promise Dec. 10 in writing? Even if they didn't, I'd still ask for one.

-juice
  • flgirlaolflgirlaol Member Posts: 51
    Wow, that's a great idea.....I don't have a contract...but I have my "sold order request" which is just my order form that goes out w/all my specs on it.
    See if the 12/10 date is on there somewhere. That would certainly give you a little leverage.

If it's the type of dealer that offers loaners for service, they may be able to do it. Good luck. :)

-juice
  • flgirlaolflgirlaol Member Posts: 51
    I kept missing the salesperson today..but he didn't even call me back today. Yes the order says delivery before or on December 9th.

I doubt I'll get a loaner. I need to take it on quite a drive. I'll just have to wait to get it in 2007 it looks like because the sales manager is leaving town on Saturday.
  • mrdeeno3mrdeeno3 Member Posts: 9
    what's the best price to get 2007 7-passenger limited tribeca? with dvd, nav and 3rd row installed. is $32k (cash) a good out-the-door price? i lieve in NJ (tax is 7%).
  • css1css1 Member Posts: 247
    mrdeeno3,
    Does that price of 32K include TT&L??

Does anybody know if there are Factory to dealer incentives for tribecas in December?

Charlie
    Sounds like a terrific price. In fact- it sounds almost too good. Like $2500 below invoice?

And yes- there is currently a factory to dealer incentive. Officially, its $1250- but given the prices I've been hearing about recently, perhaps there's something else?
    Sounds too low. $32k ought to get you NAV or DVD, but not both.

-juice
  • mrdeeno3mrdeeno3 Member Posts: 9
    guys, i didn't intend to mislead anyone. i was looking for a great deal and was asking if 32k cash was a good offer -- knowing that there is 2.9% financing available. it seems it is way too low. can anyone tell me what's the best out-the-door offer price could be for an 07 lmited tribeca with dvd and nav? i definitely got good offers from pilot and highlander, but the feel inside isn't as updated as what tribeca offers. on the good side, power is much better on pilot and highlander than tribeca.
    Gotcha, just add the invoice cost of the DVD to your $32k offer. Should come in around $33.5k or so.

-juice