Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Tribeca Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You sure about that price? Around me DVD and NAV run $32.6k or so. Maybe they're not including freight and some processing fees? That just seems a bit too low.

I'm in the same boat and I think I'm going to wait. The extra torque, cheaper fuel costs, plus a supposed 10% in fuel efficiency should mean lower operating costs. I'll make up the rest in resale.
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 384
    that sounds like a terrific price. Clearly- they're dumping the vehicle- as they won't be able to get anything for them after the '08's are on the lot in a few months.

It's a lot of car for that kind of money. With the '08 engine be an improvement- of course. Will you be able to get an '08 with DVD, Nav and goodies? Not until 2010.
    that sounds like a terrific price. Clearly- they're dumping the vehicle- as they won't be able to get anything for them after the '08's are on the lot in a few months.

It's a lot of car for that kind of money. With the '08 engine be an improvement- of course. Will you be able to get an '08 with DVD, Nav and goodies for that price? Not until 2010.
  • lipanjlipanj Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for replying.

The price was $31.0k for the Tribeca which includes destination charge. I'm trading in my '01 Outback, which they offered $10.3k. Only other charges would be $199 for documentation fees and then state tax.

Do you have any idea what the '08 pricing would be? Just thinking the cost savings would make up for any incremental fuel adjustments.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Subaru has said '08 Tribeca pricing will be about the same as '07. Of course, there won't be the big rebates the '07s have. But if you're saving $300/year on gas (10% better fuel economy plus 10% cheaper regular-octane fuel), over the course of a 5-year loan on the '08, you'd have made up $1500 against whatever the current rebate on the '07s are. Plus you'll have a newer model to boost resale value when you go to trade or sell it. So over the course of 5 years, it'd probably be a wash financially. If you can afford the lack of rebate up front, why not drive the newer model with the stronger engine, tweaked transmission, better visibility, easier 3rd row access, and styling that will be easier to re-sell to most people.

That said, if you'll really miss the '07's distinctive styling, $31k is a very nice price for a very nice vehicle. I like the '07s European looks (wife doesn't). The '08 looks handsome as well, to me, so my money would go to the '08 with the stronger, more efficient engine.
  • ecgz88ecgz88 Member Posts: 14
    $2750 rebate now!!! is there any Subaru to dealer rebate around?
  • scouziscouzi Member Posts: 28
    I would like to know that myself.

I am currently negociating:

I know about the 2750 cash and the 2% holdback.

I am trying to figure out much you can get by NOT financing the car.

There was a 1000 factory to dealer last month I believe.

Anyone?
  • pacerboy1pacerboy1 Member Posts: 2
    We just bought a 2007 limited with the special package (mesh grill, chrome wheels, and xm) - at Ganley Subaru in Bedford, Ohio. Very nice dealer experience. It was a demo with just under 4000 miles on it. Left dealer about $8,000 below MSRP - which felt like a very good deal. Financed for 63 months at 4.9%. So far, we are very happy with Tribeca, with only concern being the lack of oomph (which gets better with the manual shifting). Too soon to figure out mileage. I agree with posts that there are great deals out there on this car - particularly as they are close to introducing the 2008s. But I love unique styling of 2007, especially with the mesh grill.
    Sweet, congrats.

What model, options, color? :shades:
    That seems like a great price. The most I can get so far on a 7 passenger limited with Special edition package like yours is $5600 off MSRP on a brand new model.
  • pacerboy1pacerboy1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm sure that it was largely due to being a demo with 4000 miles on it. But I also think the deals may get better as they clear out inventory. $5600 under MSRP still sounds pretty sweet...
    I guess so. I'm debating about getting an 2008 Outlander or a 2007 Tribeca.

They are both around the same price considering the Tribeca's discounts.
    I'm finding bargains for the 07s.

27438 for a 7 passenger base model.

30942 with NAV and backup camera, heated leather, 6DC, Limited model. That hits a nice sweet spot for me, because I have $1100 in Subaru bucks and could get that model under $30k, which is amazing given all the content.

32841 with all that plus a DVD screen.

The 08 Tribeca tempts me with the bigger engine, but I'm waiting to see how much the prices go up. Hopefully not more than a grand.
  • dbtdbt Member Posts: 298
    Some sample prices:
    MSRP
    31062 (5 pass cloth)
    33662 (5 pass LTD) [Invoice: 31621)
    38862 (7 pass LTD NAV DVD)
    Do those include freight?

The base model seems a bit cheaper if it does.

The loaded price is up $542 compared to the 06 intro price.

I was hoping they'd be lower. Especially with the rebates gone. :(
    I'm pretty sure they do. I'm getting them off Fitzmall. (it looks like they may have one 5pass in stock in G'burg)

BTW, invoice on the 5Pass Cloth showing now at $29230 (MSRP 31062).
    I spoke to the regional rep and she said pricing still wasn't final. I wonder if they are using 2007 prices for now?
    I spoke to the regional rep and she said pricing still wasn't final. I wonder if they are using 2007 prices for now?
    That's odd. FM has 6 "08 Tribecas" listed as "Coming Soon" with those MSRPs. I can't imagine them trying to get more 07 Tribecas in.

I went ahead and tried the one "in stock" one, a 5 pass LTD. Acc to edmunds, the 07 MSRP price with the listed options (K6c,Q6a) would be $33542, whereas FM is listing its MSRP as $33662. Invoice for 07 is $31509, while listed FM is 31621. So, I dunno.
  • kuohkuoh Member Posts: 15
    This may seem like an odd question, but what does the phrase "Your trade-in will be paid off regardless of what you owe" mean to everyone else here?

I recently received a "Buy Back Sales Event" letter from "Subaru", and although it does not specifically mention SOA or provide any contact number other than that of a local dealership, it contained exactly that phrase. To me, that would mean that they would pay off the loan on my trade even if I owed more than the negotiated trade-in value.

Obviously, the dealers are not in the business of losing money, but the sales incentives they offered in addition to a specific limitation that this offer was applicapable to only to new 2007 Subaru vehicles made me wonder if they weren't in fact just cutting a very thin margin to clear the way for the upcoming 2008 models.

Long story short, I made a trip to the dealer and they told me that it simply meant that they will give me the trade-in value, period. Well who wouldn't naturally expect to receive the amount of their negotiated trade-in? Then why the phrase "Your trade-in will be paid off regardless of what you owe", unless unless they also mean they will pay it off even if the loan was higher? Now I would understand if they tried to make up for it by jacking up the price of the car and offering a very low trade-in value to make up for the deficit, which they did. But, they still expected me to make up the difference between trade-in and pay-off, despite what the letter said. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the meaning of that phrase, but that's just not how I interpreted it. To me, it almost seems like false advertisement just to generate a sales lead.

KuoH
  • lkconferlkconfer Member Posts: 10
    They didn't say WHO would be paying off your trade-in. If you were upside down with your trade-in, YOU would still be responsible for paying off the loan amount to the bank or other lender. This seems to be another typical ad phrase just to get the gullible people in the door whilst keeping just on the legal side boundary of false advertising.
  • kuohkuoh Member Posts: 15
    I suppose it could be interpreted that way, though I don't think the wording was quite that vague. Regardless, I didn't take the deal. However since I was there anyway, I took a look at the 2008 and it was every bit as generic looking in person as it appeared in the pictures.

KuoH
    They roll negative equity into your new loan.

IMO, not a good idea. Wait until you're no longer upside down, if that is your situation. Or at least come up with enough money to break-even, then borrow only for the new vehicle.
  • borneoborneo Member Posts: 11
    29000 +TTL for an 07 Limited 7 seat with Nav. New (demo) with 3000 miles. Any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Sounds like a really terrific price. Buy it.
    As long as you understand why they are selling it so cheap (because the new '08's with the bigger engine and face-lift are about to hit the lot)
    Sounds good.

I got a brand new 2007 7 passenger limited (No Nav, No DVD) for $28 600 out the door (all fees included).
    Thanks - its really helpful to know I am not being totally ripped off. As for the 08, I certainly prefer it for a number of reasons but none of these seem to make any sense to my wife...
    Just checking - was your price excluding Title tags license? Thanks for your help!
    The price included everything:

Window etching with insurance
    Paper transit plates
    Full tank of gas
    Doc fees
    Wow, that is really a *great* deal. With sales tax as well my total would go up to 31k, so maybe I'll think again or re-negotiate.
    Just to be clear:

My price was before sales taxes. I didn't pay state taxes since I exported to Canada.
  • njjulianonjjuliano Member Posts: 83
    Great to clarify that. A 7% sales tax will add close to $2000 to the figure. Out the door means everything (fees etc), including the taxes.

Regardless, it is still a fairly good deal.
  • jerseymom8285jerseymom8285 Member Posts: 15
    I'm entering this conversation rather late. We went looking for the first time today at small to mid size suv's. Everything from the Toyota Rav4 and Highlander (the rav4 is really nice btw.) up to a Murano and the Tribeca.

I like the Tribeca very much as it seems like all the plushyness of the fancier cars but with the sensability and safety of a Subaru.

Our kids are grown so it's just for me and I'm wondering if it is just too much car for a empty nesting baby boomer!

Seriuosly though~after reading all your posts, I am a bit confused about pricing as so much if it was about leasing. We always buy our cars~my hubby is very old fashioned that way. So,I am tring to get an idea of price for the car~with some of the extras, not all. Certainly do not need a DVD player any more!

Does anyone out there have an idea of a true price for the car? We will not be finaincing, if that matters to dealers any more?? And also~have any of you looked at some of the same other models we are considering?

Thanks so much~Happy Dad's Day!
    There are services that sell actual dealer cost of the car. You can also search here in Edmunds to see the TMV pricing. I would also look at Fitzmall to get an idea of good pricing for the Subarus.

Not financing is always a great bargaining tool, as you're telling the dealer that you are not going to need their help for the car purchase, less leverage for them. But I often find that even when I am ready to purchase the vehicle out right, it makes more financial sense to keep the money in my bank, take advantage of the low financing that the dealers offer nowadays, and just have the payment automatically deducted from my account.

For one person, I would actually stray away from the Tribeca (or any SUV for that matter). Its size, and gas consumption I would think be a deterring factor. The Outbacks are fairly nice, but I dont think on par with the luxury type interior of the Tribeca. For the pricing ballpark of the Tribeca, you can shop a G35, have better gas mileage, and take advantage of the luxury amenities of the service center. Infiniti gives a loaner every time you schedule your service, warranty is 4 years, 60k.

$.02
    The 2007 Tribecas are going for about $6k off the MSRP without much of a fight.

You may get more if you are a good bargainer.

If you live in the New-England area, use www.sne1.com to locate what you want.
    Thanks for your replies. Good food for thought. What exactly is Fitzmail? I have never heard of it before, and is it for all cars or just Subarus.
    We saw an Outback coming from Mass this morninmg and I must say that I'm not in love with the look of it at all.Jusr\t a mini station wagon,really. My husband and daughter didn't think much of the look either although we all know that Subarus are such amazing vehicles. The Forrester seems to have more individuality in my opinion. I know it is smaller but with he big moon roof it somehow seems larger.
    Have any of you seen or driven the Toyota Rav 4?? That is another one we are stongly considering.
    Thanks!
    Fitzmall is a dealership with 2 locations. Got to fitzmall (not fitzmail) dot com and they show you upfront pricing for cars, not just Subarus. I have found their prices to be a great starting point, and a lot of times, better than local deals. They can deliver, you can pick up.
    Any idea what the extra discount should be for a demo with 3000 miles (7p ltd nav)?
    Thanks for the advice!
    Thanks njjuliano~I am having such a hard time figuring out which car will be right for me. All the info that I've gotten from all of you here hads been incredible.

I guess you can say I'm a bit gun shy about driving after and accident. I've been driving since I was 16 (now 40-something) and never felt fear like I do now~even as a passenger. If I lived in a town with better mass transit, I would probably just forget about it all. but living in NJ that is just about impossible.
    Thanks again.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,051
    That feeling will go away, over time..

I totaled a car about 5 years ago... mostly due to my own inattention.. I was jumpy for awhile.. But, gradually things get back to normal. (I'd say about 4-6 months, but hard to remember now).

You have to get back on the horse.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

From a safety standpoint, the Tribeca is about as good as you can get. It has 5 star all around and a 4-star for rollover. It's also a 'best pick' from the IIHS (insurance institute of highway safety). www.iihs.org

But, there are two parts to a crash. The first part is the vehicle's ability to avoid the crash. With a higher seating position, good visibility, excellent handling and one of the best stopping distances in its genre (right up there with most sports cars), the Tribeca is a great vehicle. The tribeca is without a doubt the vehicle which gives me the best feeling of 'safety' of any I've ever driven. It's really a solid, stiff, strong vehicle.

The Toyota Rav4 also has good fatality ratings and isn't a bad choice. The tribeca is more expensive, but 'feels' more expensive when you drive it- and the interior is leagues above the Rav4. But, the Rav4 is a good choice if that's what you're looking for.
    Thanks Kyfdx~ I really wish there were a forum, or somewhere online to go and speak with others who have been in accidents. This is just overwhelming me. It's 2 weeks today and I feel likei it might has well been today.
    I've driven for 0ver 39 years and never felt fear like this before.
    Thanks for sharing your expereince.
    I'm from SJ and had an accident that totaled both cars 9 years ago. Still paying for a bit of the damage body wise (mine, not car) that I should have paid more attention to when it happened. But I digress.....

Yes, time is a good factor, to get the confidence back, to trust other motorists that they can follow the law and not affect you when they dont, or if you were at fault, have time to trust your instincts once again.

When I purchased my next car, I had to look at the previous car, and see what I thought was missing on it, that could've helped me in avoiding, or lessening the damage. I didnt go for bigger, I went for nimbler and more surefootedness.
    Thanks. So what did you end up getting and how long did it take you to drive again?
  • chassolchassol Member Posts: 95
    Just tried to trade '06 Tribeca for '08. The '06 was purchased 08/05. It's the 7 passenger Limited - LOADED - DVD, Nav, Puddle lights - almost everything.

Spoke with owner of dealership. My trade-in here in Edmund's is $28,000±, the best owner could give me was $23,000 - No way. Supposedly due to huge discounts on '07's knocking the value down on my '06. I check with another sales person that I know from another Subaru dealership in the USA and he said - Sad, but true.

I have learned my lesson. I'm not mad at the owner, but I'm somewhat upset with Subaru for not getting the R2 here by now. I'm willing to go '08 Tribeca due to regular gas rather than '06 premium (regular & mid-grade doesn't work well - you lose power and mileage) but not biting the $5,000 bullet.

I would bite the $5,000 bullet on the R2, but NOT the '08 Tribeca. We also own an '07 Outback which will remain our "big car".

We spend over $500 per month just for gasoline to be able to go back and forth to work.

We have had 8 Subaru since 1998, but I'm afraid the '07 is probably our last one. I hate to do it, but the gas bill is totally out of hand.

We have sign up and pre-deposited for the '08 Smart car when they become available in early (hopefully) '08.

I hope someone from Subaru still reads these forums and gets my message to upper management about the R2. I truly believe Subaru would sell them by the boat load.

The $3 gallon gas is here to stay and we will see $4 before April '08. The sad part is Subaru has always been last into the game and thus lose a lot of sales. There is no question in my mind their R2 will match and probably beat the Smart car.

One way or the other I will be ready when we hit $4. Come ON Subaru get the R2 here......Please
    Forgive me Chassol, but people have been picking up brand new '07 7-pass ltd with Nav for under $30K. I doubt if the dealer could even sell your car today for $28K, let alone give you that much for it. And, anybody who expects a good price from a dealer on their used car, doesn't understand how dealerships make money.

If saving money is your goal- sell the tribeca yourself, you'll be able to get more for it.

Secondly, the fuel cost difference between the 3.0L and the 3.6L engine isn't much. Even after 10,000 miles, the fuel cost difference will only be about (20mpg, 500 gal, $0.20 difference/gal) =$100. So it wouldn't make financial sense to buy an '08 'beca to 'save money'.

Sounds like you should look into a Prius. They're pretty nice. Or, perhaps the Mercedes E320 Bluetec if you need more luxe.
    Good Evening Morey,

Yeah I know the numbers, but still hard to swallow. I not a hybrid fan, so that's out. And I'm not a Mercedes fan either - I know Smart is made by Mercedes too.

I'll sell the Tribeca when I'm able to get the Smart. Again I fully expect to bite the bullet. I've done it before, but never to the extent I'm anticipating. Of course by the time the Smart is available gas prices could be better or much worse. I have a few friends that know the inside and it indicates the latter of the two. However, remember '08 is an election year and "miracles" ;) do seem to happen in those years.

And I'm going to date myself, but I had one of the first Honda 600's in the USA. That thing had a 600cc engine in it, but it was one of the most amazing cars I have ever owned.

I've seen some of the "imported" Smarts and the ones that Penske is going to be bringing in are going to have vast improvements over those. And - I like to support those that have the brass to take a chance (although knowing Roger's talent for spotting and investing in "major" ventures - I don't think it has much of a chance of failing).

I just wish Subaru had some of the same brass and moved PDQ on getting the R2 over here. That car is one heck of a vehicle too and would sell very well.

BTW -I know how trade-ins work and I've been very good at getting top dollar on the trade-in and maximum discount on the new one. But in the market we have today no chance. Dealers are out to maximize profit on each deal.

There is a Honda "superstore" in town that was selling 300 new units a month not to long ago. Last week they sold 2 new units. I still have friends in many places in the country (I use to do dealer floor planning) and ALL of them report the same thing - poor sales now and for the foreseeable future. Almost as bad as the housing market and it too will get worst if gas prices don't come down and the FED thinks they need to raise interest rates to combat "inflation".

Oh well, we'll see what happens in early '08. Appreciate your feedback.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    We'd jump on a small, safe Subaru commuter as well, if it were offered. I think we'd be more likely to see the Stella than the R2, though. Given my druthers, I'd take an R1e. But Stella or R2 would work.
    jeffmc,

Thank You for reminding me about the Stella. I think with the available 968cc (I think turbo) I'd more than accept that too, maybe even over the R2.

"We'd jump on a small, safe Subaru commuter as well, if it were offered" - Ditto

Come on Subaru :surprise: us!!!!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,051
    Back to Tribeca pricing, please...

Thanks!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hi~ Forgive my ignorance; but what is "Smart" and "Stella"?I'm still in the beginning thinking stage. I would love a Subaru for safety but it seems as you have all said that there is no in between. There is the Outback and Legacy and then all the way up to the Tribeca. I would love something similar to a RAV 4 but in Subaru tradition.
    Thanks