Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Mazda5 Owners Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• 01le01le Posts: 18
    I think a shark fin antenna would look great on a Mazda5 to replace the factory antenna. So I googled it and I found that they run about $68 - $72 on a few websites. I want one that works as a real antenna, not just a $2 foam replica. Has anyone seen a better deal than $68- $72. Imagine the look of it on your M5.....sweeeeeet. :shades:
  • edikedik Posts: 8
    Looks good ..is't it? It is metal, not plastic.
    The problem is this car is on Moscow streets. Do we have something like this in N.America?
  • wardwwardw Posts: 10
    I have a 2007 Mazda5, and did not like the long, whippy antenna that comes standard. I asked my service guy if the shorter antenna (I think on the CX-7) would work on my car and he said it would. He just took the shorter one off a car on the lot and switched it with mine....no charge. It's not the short shark fin type, but I do think it looks better.
  • riproyriproy Posts: 57
    I like that service!
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Mazda Japan sells one like that but it says Premacy and it's over $150. How much would you pay?
  • edikedik Posts: 8
    If it would say "Mazda5" then no more than a $100, but with Premacy logo - $150 sounds like a good deal. ;)
  • whobodymwhobodym Posts: 183
    I've probably missed some of the logic of this dialogue... is the question, that you are a North American, and you know about the gray plastic bumper step you can buy from Mazda America, and you don't like how it looks? If that's the question, I'm no help, sorry. But I could mention, I do have a USA-model 2006 5, charcoal gray in color (a little darker than the 2007 model gray), and I do have the acccessory gray plastic bumper step cover. On our car, the color difference with the paint is so subtle that you hardly notice the step cover is there (which I like just fine). I installed it myself when the car was new and it was very easy. I don't remember what it cost but I am pretty sure it was reasonable, something like $50-100. Now, 2.5 years later, it looks just fine to my eye, and yes I have stepped on it a fair number of times, to access the cargo box we sometimes use. Hope that helps? (or at least is mildly interesting to you??)
    Should the manufacturing cost be different for the two?

Based on your answer, I could see why Mazda USA doesn't sell the stainless Mazda5 piece.
  • randyukrandyuk Posts: 3
    Hi:

Does anybody know how to add speakers to the Rear-Sliding-Doors??

Got a Mazda5 here in UK and when we go on holiday with the children as the Boot (Trunk) is so full cannot hear the speakers.

Any ideas???

Thanks.
    I think you will have trouble wiring whatever speakers you can fit in the door.
    There are wires that go into the doors, to operate the window motors and door lock actuators. Conceivably you could figure out how to route one additional wire through each of the plastic-covered umbilicals that carry the standard wires into the doors but it sounds to me like it would be extremely difficult to accomplish a neat job. Cheaper and quicker to purchase each child their own i-Pod. Another challenge possibly hard to visualize, is the nearly flush surface clearance that would be necessary for the speaker grilles, to avoid scraping the speakers across the exterior paint as the doors are opened. I advise caution!
  • jonat1xjonat1x Posts: 34
    Does anyone have any experience of the shark fin antenna sold for the Mazda5 by Virtual Garage - http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Overview.html?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,256
    Tuesday means Mazda chat night! The chat opens at 8:45 pm ET and runs until 10 pm ET. I hope you're able to join us tonight to meet and greet with your fellow CarSpace members!
    See you there!

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Share your vehicle reviews

PF_Flyer's 2014 Versa Note Long Term Blog
    How To Start Your Own Long Term Blog

• Does anyone have an idea where I can purchase a front end bra for my Mazda5 Grand Touring? The dealer can not get any in as of the present time. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    If you Google 'Mazda accessories' you'll find a number of Mazda dealers who sell over the Internet. Also try jcwhitney.com for other brands. Since you can't use a fabric bra continuously, else dirt will get under it and abrade the finish, I bought a magnetic bra for mine and it is a super fit and looks great - the product is described at magentbra.com but you'll have to search at Ebay to actually buy it.

Jonathan
    If you're thinking about a shark fin antenna, I saw on another board that RPM is putting together a deal where you can get 20% off with free shipping, provided you're prepared to wait for them to assemble a group buy.

The post is at http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=119551.0 but if that link doesn't work I have cut and pasted the text below. Particularly note the coupon code SHARKFINGB to get in on this deal.

Jonathan

More details:

Author Topic: GB: Shark Fin Antenna by Visual Garage (functional)

Date Registered: December 06, 2004, 11:15:19 AM

GB: Shark Fin Antenna by Visual Garage (functional)
    « on: August 04, 2008, 04:44:42 PM » Quote

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RPM is proud to bring you yet another group buy for the Shark Fin Antenna from Visual Garage.

This is a fully functional and very stylish shark fin antenna that comes pre-painted to match your car. Hundreds of customers have already purchased this antenna and have been very pleased.

Utilizing fractal antenna technology, VG was able to develop a functional antenna that fits inside the shark fin and retains radio reception within normally acceptable ranges. A fractal antenna is created using fractal geometry (repetition of a simple shape to form a repeating pattern) and has reception that rivals antenna designs 50% to 150% larger in size. Through testing, they have found that the VG Shark Fin Antenna performed consistently better than any stubby antenna fitted on the same car.

A custom die-cut 3M double-sided adhesive gasket is designed to secure the VG Shark Fin Antenna in place, overtop of the antenna base. This 3M adhesive is used because of its bonding strength to the car and its nature of being removable without damaging the paint. Also it has good weatherability and is insensitive to contamination.

The VG Shark Fin Antenna is made of sturdy and high quality ABS plastic by injection molding process. Each VG Shark Fin Antenna is painted and clear coated to color match the OEM color code of your car. VG has reputable body shops working with them, so you can be assured that you are receiving a high quality paint job!

GROUP BUY PRICING

Our original shark fin group buys always used a stepped pricing model, but last time, we offered a single low price and it worked out very well, so we're trying it again! A price this low was previously only offered when we received more than 50 orders!

VG's MSRP --> $81.00
    RPM's Retail Price --> $79.95

Group Buy Price --> $64.80 (20% off MSRP!)

This price includes USPS Priority Mail shipping within the U.S. (including Alaska and Hawaii). Shipping to Canada will be an additional US$5.00, but they will be shipped via Canada Post from British Columbia, so as to avoid customs fees. Canadian orders should use the shipping quote code: C35X

This group buy will accept orders until August 26, 2008. All orders will be sent to Visual Garage at that time. Once submitted, they will be made and custom-painted and will take approximately 4-5 weeks to ship. If you take part in this group buy, you should not expect to receive your antenna until late September, 2008! Yes, I know that's a long time. You can pay full price if you want your order to be processed right away. Normal orders are currently taking about 4-5 weeks from the time the order is placed, or less than a week if the "Rush Order" fee is paid.

HOW TO ORDER

You may order directly from our website via the link below. Do NOT choose the "Rush Order" option if you are participating in the group buy. When checking out, use the coupon code "SHARKFINGB" in order to be included in the group buy. If you do not redeem this coupon code, your order will be processed normally at full price. Canadian orders should use the shipping quote code: C35X

http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=294
    Your dealer should be able to get them in a couple weeks.
  • prosendprosend Posts: 7
    I am curious as to how you would replace the antenna assembly. I was at the dealer waitingon an oil change and looked at the Mazda 6 with the Sharck fin antenna. I could not figure out how you would replae the Mazda5 antenna with the sharkfin. Do you have to take to roof liner off and unscrew something?
    The work is all external. The instructions are at http://www.visualgarage.com/Product_Installation.html
  • I bought cargo cover for my Mazda 5 from mazdastuff and it's awesome! Worth every penny so I can cover what I have in the trunk.
    The net however was poorly designed. It has plastic hooks that can easily break overtime. I already broke one of 6 hooks on it even if I were careful. Why make it so cheap???? Also, I wish Mazda put the metal hooks on the back wall, so that the net can be attached to prevent cargo from rolling out of the car when the back seats are down and the trunk door is opened. Most mini vans have that configuration. This way, the only time the net is usable at all is when all 6 seats are up. Poor design especially since trunk doesn't have the "lip" to prevent cargo from falling out of the car (watermellon comes to mind) when the trunk door is open. Also what's up with the space between second row seats? The cargo from the trunk regularly roles out of the trunk forward unless I put piece of carboard to block it off. Anyone found a good solution for that? I'd appreciate ideas!
  • athenasiusathenasius Posts: 118
    re net. i have had mine for almost 3 years and use it all the time. I would get them to take it back. When the back seats are down I put the net down (flat- like a blanked)with a clip on each of the 4 loops and stick stuff under net that way they do not fly around. I hear you re the hole in the floor, the second row gap sucks for sure in the rest of the world the middle seat / shared arm rest covers the hole. As for the gap I have one of those pop open circle sun visors that I slip in between if i am worried about the gap and when the dog is in the back and with the middle seats up. Just an fyi if you only have a bunch of groceries the back cover behind the near the hatch is designed to lift up and will slide perpendicular to the floor (about 1/5 of it slides into the floor to contain tuff, and with the slight whole in the plastic area it works great(but if you over stuff it things may fall out when you open the door but I have only ever had a can of tomatoes fall out of a bag and fall out. ps it will not contain heavy item and just flops closed (without damage) i tried to use it to hold my tires lol. with all the seats up you can place it upright against the last row of seats to contain (like and evelope - just remember to clip the snaps together) stuff.

As for the back cover i had mine stolen and have not gotten a new one yet.
  • Can't seem to find a roof rack option for the M5. Can it be added to any model? Anyone know the price? Also, didn't see window tinting as an option either. Anyone know if there will be any upcoming dealer incentives? Also, we are set on a manual trans. I am having a hard time specifically pining down what changes were made to the 2009 model. If I see a good deal on a 2008, should I get it or stick with a new 2009?
  • The roof rack is an add-on accessory. It fits any model -- even with the sunroof.

Eight pages of roof rack discussion can be found here:
    http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123691620
  • Unless the following matters to you, go with the best deal.

Per Ford:
    New or enhanced for 2009: (Mazda 5)

* New Liquid Silver exterior color to replace Sunlight Silver (late availability)
    * Sand interior color now available with Stormy Blue and Brilliant Black exterior colors
  • DOES ANYONE HAVE A PICTURE OF A TRAILER HITCH INSTALLED ON THEIR MZ5? I WANT TO ADD ONE TO CARRY MY BIKES, BUT I WANT TO SEE HOW IT LOOKS AND IF IT CLEARS THE BUMPER COVER. THANKS!
    Yes, I have several digital photos of our Curt hitch on 2006 MZ5 Touring. It's a 1.25" receiver and has been completely satisfactory for bike rack. I'm not sure how to attach photos here-- what's your email?
  • SEND YOUR PICS TO idavid76 at yahoo dot com THANKS!
  • Can anybody tell me how the OEM navigation system works on a 06 or 07 Mazda 5? How do you get the screen out? When you press the "tilt" button is the screen motorized or is it just on a spring? How do you close it?

I was thinking about buying the housing and just mounting a portable GPS in it. Has anybody tried this yet? Would it work?

Thanks
    Maybe you've already tried this... if you own the car, you could read the last ~25 pages of the owners manual, which describe the OEM Nav system. My 5 does not have Nav but I am a fairly curious techno-geek so I've tried to skim the pages just for fun. But they are not my favorite tech manual writing, and I found it hard to follow without having something to play along with.