Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5

Comments

• nycfamilynycfamily Member Posts: 2
    We will have three children under the age of 2 and are interested in purchasing the Mazda 5. We will need a triple stroller and other items for babies to store in the car. We are feeling that the space may not suffice. Any suggestions? Thank you. :)
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    "We will have three children under the age of 2 ..."

Oh no! :surprise:
  • frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    Not a very good choice IMHO. Three rows of two seats and little space behind the third row would mean the stroller goes on the roof if it doesn't fit with one third row seat folded, and I doubt it would.
  • 5thave5thave Member Posts: 13
    We have 2yr-old twins. Seems just right for us. But we did consider that 3 kids and a stroller would have been a very tight fit (3rd kid not yet ruled out for us!). One thing I can say for sure is this: On our test drive I put 1 child in 2nd row and 1 child in 3rd row, all on passenger side with my wife in the passenger seat. My wife and I are average to tall ( 5'7" and 6'1"). With front seat adjusted to give us plenty of legroom, and 2nd row seat set 1/2 way back in its travel, and both kids sitting in their safety seats, both kids (who are quite tall for 2 yrs old) complained that their feet were uncomfortably positioned against the rows in front. Since you'd always have someone in the back row you'd be giving up storage behind and room in front. Carefully consider a larger van. If price is an issue, maybe a 1 or 2-yr old van coming off lease is a good option? In a couple years your kids will be much bigger. How will your space be then?

Good luck.

We've ordered a '5 and can't wait. Had we had 3 kids, our choice might have been different.
  • smariasmaria Member Posts: 279
    If the biggest thing you'll carry is the stroller, and it fits in with one of the 3rd row seats folded down, the MAzda5 might be fine for you. But it'll definitely be tight for 3 car seats + stroller...you should at least consider something bigger.

My experience (with no children yet) is that I drive around 10% of the time with both 3rd row seats up, 80% of the time with one of the 3rd row seats folded down, and 10% of the time with both of the 3rd row seats folded down.
  • sschribersschriber Member Posts: 89
    Didn't a previous post mention that 05 MPVs are being discounted down to close to the price of a Mazda 5? The only minivan listed as compact in the US, it would be the next size up for you.
  • nycfamilynycfamily Member Posts: 2
    :) Yes, but the 3rd row is a bench and not a 60/40 split. Thank you for your imput.
    I participated in Mazda's performance and precision test-drive event at Pomona last Sunday. Aside from being a fun, free way to try out the RX-8, new MX-5, 3, 6, and 5, you get some driving instruction and at least a free t-shirt out of it. There are three timed events that require matching or beating the goal time posted, and a fourth event that gives driving instruction. Another thing you get is a $500 rebate offer from Mazda on any new '05 or '06 vehicle. The offer is transferable.

This event is moving around the country for the next few months and you can sign up at www.zoomzoomlive.com. It's a flash site so be patient. And my suggestion for those interested would be to sign up as early in the day as possible to avoid the long lines. It took us nearly 6 hours to complete the 4 events once each. You And popcorn and pretzels are the only food although water is plentiful. Sticks and automatics are available in the RX-8s and MX-5s and all of the Mazda product line is on display as well.

The first event I would suggest trying is the School of Zoom which gives you a quick chalkboard lesson and then ride-along coaching in an RX-8. Next is a timed event that teaches smooth driving by using golf balls in a large bowl affixed to the hood of an MX-5. You also have a chance to drive a 3, 6, or 5 in another timed event that requires you to match the posted time EXACTLY. And finally, there is the all-out speed blitz in the new MX-5. Workers are there giving demonstrations and tips for each event. A lot of fun but bring some extra patience.
  • dapontdapont Member Posts: 21
    Check the lower right of this site for a couple of upbeat Mazda5 commercials for the British market. The one on the left is pretty long but shows the middle seat fold-up feature and the self-closing doors:
    http://4a.mazda.com/product/mazda5/
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    Actually those are the same commercials used in Japan, rebadged as "Mazda 5". :) Funny!
  • bjerrybjerry Member Posts: 59
    I viewed the video, and I did some searching online at all the different Mazda web pages I could find (and read) in different countries about the M5.

I think the doors opening by themselves was staged. I base this opinion on the fact that every page I could find touts how easy it is to slide open the doors, and further, there's no information about how much power sliding doors would cost.

I've seen some discussion about features available on the M5 elsewhere and not available in Canada or the US. But most other places don't have the 2.3L engine, only a 1.8L or a 2.0L. And that "middle seat" is pretty skimpy. The only advantage for me is it would fill the gap when both middle seats are folded flat.
    Comparing online images and videos, I've noticed that the European Mazda5's have larger storage compartments on the inside of the front doors than the North American version does. Anyone have any idea why this would be? Are the North American doors sturdier?

I've noticed it because my wife complains that you can't even fit a small map into the passenger side door of our Mazda5. In past cars, she's always kept some maps in the side passenger door...but nothing really fits in that space in our Mazda5...it only seems to be useful as a cupholder. The Mazda5 already has more cupholders than it needs, I would have preferred a slot for papers and maps. Except for the glove box, there's no good storage space for maps in our Mazda5. Yup, a picky little thing, but yet another way in which the North American versions underperform the rest of the world :(
    Maybe it's a clever marketing ploy to get you to splurge for the navigation/TPMS package. :D
    Seriously though, the map pocket on the back of the driver's seat is plenty big for such items and easy to reach from either front seat.
    Thanks for the advice. Honestly, I haven't ridden in the 2nd row since the test drive, so I forgot that there's a pocket there! :blush:
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I wonder if the recent gas prices are going to impact the Mazda5 sales. If most of your driving is just running around town with 6 or less pass, then the Mazda5 is perfect.
    Hard to say.

People who don't really need 6 seats (i.e., the type who can say "6 seats are nice, but I don't need them") might be more likely to downsize to the Mazda3 Hatch or (dare I say it?) a Toyota Matrix if they've got no taste in cars. ;)

On the flip size, people who are considering larger vehicles like minivans or small SUVs, might be more likely to consider downsizing to the Mazda5. Give the Mazda5 2 MPG more than it has now, and I think it's steal away a TON of potential minivan sales. As it is, lots of people seem to be saying "the Mazda5 isn't EPA-rated much better than minivans, so it's not worth the size sacrifice". The real-world numbers on the Mazda5, however, do seem to be much better than minivans...a bigger difference than the EPA ratings imply.

Who knows what'll happen. But I hope the Mazda5 sells well :D
  • han2han2 Member Posts: 11
    1. i forgot to look - do the windows next to the second row seats roll down?
    The window split into two? only the front part rows down, non?

2. i was disappointed that i could not get the steering wheel in a fully vertical position; i like to tilt the wheel so that the top of the wheel is as close to me as the bottom. no big deal or anything, but it adds to the driving experience because you can pretend you're in a go cart...

Why do you want to feel like in a go cart when you in a mini-VAN? You should try MIATA, that is a go CART....

3. in response to some other posts about being able to get a fifth or sixth passenger into the backseat if carseats were present in the 2nd row: yeah, it would be a little difficult, but you can still use the fore / aft slide bar on the front of the 2nd row seat to slide it forward (since the side lever requires that you tilt the seat before sliding). this works okay for getting in, but once someone is back there, they can't reach that slide bar on the front of the 2nd row seat, so they either squeeze in between the 2nd row seats or wait for help! this probably isn't too big a deal either because as many others have stated this vehicle is not for someone wanting to fit 6 people in it on a regular basis.

baby seats should be in third row, if there are people in second row, third row is not that soft and comfortable, but chubby babies in babyseats wouldn't know the difference....

4. i was disappointed with the cargo space when using the 3rd row. i don't think that we could even fit our evenflo stroller back there if we were going to dinner with the grandparents! however, i haven't tried this yet so maybe it's possible. i don't know what the spec for the luggage volume is, but it certainly looks much smaller than i expected. i saw an old 95-98 odyssey today and in looking at the luggage space behind the 3rd row, the tailgate glass was still fairly close to the seatback, but there was a lowered well at the floor which increased the usability greatly (i would suspect). i don't know what the luggage volume spec for the old odyssey is, however. anybody know these figures?

Try MacLaren stroller, they are very foldable and slim
    , if I were MAZDA, I would design and sell stroller spefically design for 5's trunk space..Odyssey is a entire different animal, people love 5 are people get caught in the middle of having to have those chubby babies and still like to zoom zoom at the same time...
  • prostrhoprostrho Member Posts: 1
    I see that the 2006 M3 and M6 2.3L comes with 5 speed auto.

I'm kinda thinking that Mazda might do a midyear change a put a 5speed auto in the car in a few monthes. I just test drove the 4 speed auto today and its fine. But if a 5 speed comes out soon i'd rather have the 5 speed as it probably gives it better fuel economy.
  • carquerycarquery Member Posts: 35
    I'm contemplating trading in my mid-size SUV for a minivan or the Mazda 5. The SUV's 3rd row is fairly uselss unless you're an acrobat, plus the gas mileage in the city is about 15 maybe 22 MPG on the highway.

I know that the EPA estimates are usually about 20% higher than reality, so I'm wondering what some of Mazda5 owners out there are getting in terms of gas mileage. I'd be using it for driving around the city here in CT 90% of the time, to ferry my two kids (4yrs and 4 months). A larger minivan (MPV, Odyssey, Sienna) certainly offers more room and amenities, but also might be more than I need (and being heavier, I figure not as good mileage).

Any MPG input would be most welcome. I'd most likely buy the 5-speed manual Touring and put in leather seats (easier to clean up the juice boxes and other child's messes)
    There's a whole thread about mileage:
    rideyourbike, "Mazda5 Owners: MPG-Real World Numbers" #38, 1 Sep 2005 9:35 pm!make=Mazda&model=MAZDA5&ed_makeindex=.ef90f62
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Have you checked out the Scion xB? VERY roomy, and a great city car. I use the xB 100% for city driving and get between 24-26 mpg.

One of my neighbors who bought a huge GM SUV that probably gets about 10 mpg city said that he felt like a dupe for getting that SUV with GM's "employee price" when he saw the legroom in my xB.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Or consider a Ford Freestyle. Now that I'm not using the A/C, I'm getting about 25-26mpg on the highway (about 24mpg with A/C) and about 20 city
    On the Mazda3, the 4-speed auto was rated 3 MPG worse than the 5-speed manual on the highway (24/29 auto vs. 25/32 manual). Adding the 5-speed auto closed this gap, making the auto and manual get the same city MPG and 1 MPG different on the highway (25/31 auto vs. 25/32 manual).

On the Mazda5, the 4-speed auto only does 1 MPG worse than the 5-speed manual (21/26 auto vs. 22/27 manual). So, realistically, a 5-speed auto in a Mazda5 will likely only add a small improvement to its gas mileage. Because of this, and the fact that a 5-speed auto will cost more, Mazda may decide not to add a 5-speed auto to the Mazda5...I hope they do though, even a 1 MPG improvement is better than nothing.

Steve
  • driverinvadriverinva Member Posts: 14
    My Mazda dealer now has an accessories brochure for the Mazda5 and it does show that the roof rack will be available for dealer/owner installation rather than factory installation. It also describes the roof rack as removable, implying that you won't have to have it permanently installed, only there when you need it.
  • driverinvadriverinva Member Posts: 14
    Two weeks ago, I bought a new Mazda5 and am absolutely loving it. It is so much fun to drive! It's easy to handle, quick on the take off (when I need it to be), and the gas mileage is such a plus with gas hitting $3.25 around here last weekend. One reason that I liked the Mazda5 was that it could seat six. So many vehicles out there that aren't minivans or SUVs, seat 4 comfortably and 5 at most. I was afraid to get a vehicle that could only seat 5 since we're in that phase of life where carpooling kids to sporting events is a regular occurance. Already, my decision to go with a 6-seater, was proven to be the right one. An event came up last week that I needed to take the four of us plus two of my son's teammates to and we were able to get all six of us plus their football gear in without any problem. :)
    We also drove the car to a friend's Labor Day party and was surprised by the huge positive reactions to the car. Everyone loved it. They loved the color, the styling, the wheels, the interior. They were getting inside of it, moving the seats, etc. just like they'd never seen a car before. I think that's what's so great about the Mazda5...there's really not much on the market like it...especially for the price!
  • bjerrybjerry Member Posts: 59
    ...an accessories brochure for the Mazda5 and it does show that the roof rack will be available for dealer/owner installation rather than factory installation. It also describes the roof rack as removable, implying that you won't have to have it permanently installed, only there when you need it.

I found this link, is this the accessory you saw in the brochure?

http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2294

I don't care for the look of this roof rack. I like the way the factory installed racks look much better. :(
  • ggilliomggilliom Member Posts: 22
    I just learned about the Mazda5 and love the look of it. (I'm a longtime Mazda fan, having owned both an MX-6 and a Miata.) I have two little boys who would spend most of the time riding in the second row of the 5, but if they grandparents want to ride with us, I could see moving the kids carseats to the third row. When the third row seats are used, there is very little space behind them.

Does anyone else worry about what would happen if the car is hit from behind? My Passat was rear ended a few months ago (I was stopped and was hit at about 15 MPH), and the trunk collapsed really protected the rear seats.

We always hear about front and side impact crash ratings...I'm just wondering if the lack of "collapsing" room in the back is a concern. Maybe it's no worse here than any other vehicle with a third row...

Thanks!
    It'll be impossible to know for sure until the crash test results come in...not sure when those will be available.

On your Passat, the trunk is probably a "crumple zone"...in other words, it's meant to crumple to absorb impacts. This improves safety for the passengers, but it also means that the trunk crumples REALLY easily so it'll need to be repaired/replaced even in the smallest of collisions. In the Mazda5, nothing in the back is made to crumple...it's all sturdy and reinforced.

On the following web page, towards the bottom, is a pretty good description of the safety features in the Mazda5 (look under the heading "Passive Safety")*:

http://www.japanesecarfans.com/print.cfm/ID/2050823.006/lang/eng

* Note: I had originally quoted the paragraphs here, but the post was too long so I put up this link instead.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Could you give us a link to the information you are quoting?
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Where are you in Virginia? I'm in Richmond and have bought six new Mazdas from Whitten Mazda since 1991. I currently drive a 2005 Mazda3 hatch and my wife drives a 2002 Protege5. There's another Richmonder who lurks here who bought a Mazda5 a couple of days ago.

Meade
  • momstoymomstoy Member Posts: 30
    I wish I could find it now - but I know that I read a review stating that it exceeded or already met the rear impact requirements for 2007. I'll keep looking for the review.
  • bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    That would be us lurking in Richmond with a Cardinal Red Mazda5 Sport since Labor Day. No buyer's remorse here! We've received complements from strangers who noticed the new model with temporary tags. Yesterday I rode in both the second and third row seats while my son drove on an errand. Aside from his complaining about my uncontrollable back seat driving it was quite an enjoyable ride.

Bert
  • leadfoot_edleadfoot_ed Member Posts: 22
    http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050823.006/page/4/lang/eng/mazda/1.html

I'd love to get one of these! 140 horse, 265 lbs./ft, 6-speed manual. Hopefully they can get the emissions clean enough for the U.S. and hopefully CA!
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    arrggghhh! I am moving to Europe ASAP.

I would definitely bring in my 02 MPV for one of these babies.

Thanks for the prove, I should carry this around every time the local Mazda salesmen says it is never going to happen.

6 speed. Yowsa.

John
  • perfectofcperfectofc Member Posts: 155
    Man, those roof rails are sexy... :-)
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Ed, stop, you are killing us with teasing.

John
  • r2kr2k Member Posts: 25
    http://www.japanesecarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050823.006/page/4/lang/eng/mazda/1.html

Hope everyone noticed that this link is to page 5 of a 6 page article about the M5 Diesel...
  • bypasskidbypasskid Member Posts: 57
    Could someone please enlighten me on the following,
    we just got out Sport Automatic (my wife won't drive a stick unfortunately), and how true is it that you have to take it slow for the first 500 miles, how fast can you go on the highway?
    thanks.
  • han2han2 Member Posts: 11
    As much as I like MAZDA 5, people often complained about the tiny trunk space when third row seats are up and you just brought up the other issue with that tiny separation when rear end collision happens. I found this article, with very good detailed analysis, for everybody's reference, it seems third row was never a good idea as far as safety concerned, the statistics came with it makes me very nervous even thinking about putting my baby in the back, since it is mostly a helpless situation for the driver when some drunk read ends you.

http://www.mercola.com/2002/mar/13/car_seats.htm

I knew whenever you decide to take a car out to the road , you are in potential harzard situation, you couldn't worry about eveything in life, otherwise we would do crazy. So it does adds some comfort to know MAZDA 5 comes with airbags in every possible way.

BUT, given close to 22% of all accidents are rear end ones, has anyone thought about adding a rear end airbag FOR vehicles offering third row seats, they could easily embedded in the back of the seats???

Hope everyone noticed that this link is to page 5 of a 6 page article about the M5 Diesel...
    Yes, I did that intentionally, since that was the page with the details of the engine.
    Modern cars have very clean tolerances and excellent assembly, not to mention high quality materials. Break in is almost (ALMOST) a non-issue now-a-days. You'll see all kinds of advice given all over the place, but the one important thing that most everyone agrees on is NOT to drive a constant speed for the first 5 or 6 hundred miles. Change it up a little. City driving is perfect for that. Highway is OK too if you vary your speed a bit (avoid cruise control).

An early oil change (at 1 or 2 thousand miles) might not be needed, but certainly can't hurt.

Best wishes and enjoy the car! We're having to wait for ours... 5-speeds are oversold here in Canada. :cry:
  • bypasskidbypasskid Member Posts: 57
    thanks for your advice.
    we are taking a long 400 miles trip right away, so I'll have to avoid using the cruise :( thanks again.
  • nifty56nifty56 Member Posts: 279
    I would not buy any vehicle that has little or no space between the back seat and rear door, third row seating. I shake my head when I see parents who put their children in that third seat or even when adults sit there. I remember being in a Chrysler mini van, the van was loaded with 7 adults. I sat at the back, 3rd row. I can tell you it was the first and last time. Was just praying nobody would hit us, scarey. So if you like the vehicle buy it but think about not using the 3rd row for seating, but it is up to you. Give me a trunk behind the back seat anytime or the same empty space in a Van or anything else.
  • abangabang Member Posts: 44
    Does the US version of the Mazda 5 have a Ford Duratech engine in there or is it a Mazda engine? What about the transmission? Is that a Ford or a Japanese transmission in there?
    It is a new-generation Mazda-sourced 2.3L "MZR" engine. It is similar to the 2.3L in the Mazda3 and Mazda6 but recalibrated for a broader torque curve (peak is at 3500 vs. 4500rpm in the other applications) at the expense of 2 or 3 peak horsepower overall. Looking at the dyno charts and from my own 'seat of the pants' experience, this engine pulls smartly and evenly through the whole rpm range. The valve timing is variable, but there is no 'hit' of power at high rpm as in Honda V-TEC engines. Instead the cam phasing shift is used to maintain significant torque from 2500-6500rpm. Excellent for real-world driving, though maybe not as thrilling as a race-type engine.
    I would not buy any vehicle that has little or no space between the back seat and rear door, third row seating. I shake my head when I see parents who put their children in that third seat or even when adults sit there. I remember being in a Chrysler mini van, the van was loaded with 7 adults. I sat at the back, 3rd row. I can tell you it was the first and last time. Was just praying nobody would hit us, scarey. So if you like the vehicle buy it but think about not using the 3rd row for seating, but it is up to you. Give me a trunk behind the back seat anytime or the same empty space in a Van or anything else.

I agree that 3rd row of any such vehicle is not the best place to be in a crash (is there any good place to be?) but it should be noted that the Mazda5 already exceeds upcoming 50mph rear-end collision standards that will be phased in for 2007. :sick:
    I would have to disagree that it isn't as big of a hit when the vario kicks in. Especially at full throttle in 2nd and 3rd, there is a very distinct kick. Just like the RSX-S I recently test drove. Not a scary kind of burst, but definitely noticeable, and fun. :)
  • ccweemsccweems Member Posts: 33
    Much of the same could be said about the rear seat in the Mazda3 (or any small hatchback). There is not much structure difference between it and the Mazda5. Sure there is some air, but once you exceed the column strength of the structure members air doesn't mean much. If you are going to worry about rear impacts, then start worrying about side impacts. I don't know what the percentage of accidents is from the side but it appears that everyone is happy to live with "it meets federal side impact standards". Why are the same happy with "it meets federal rear impact standards"?
    A lot of the fear with third row seats is that the passengers' heads are very close to the glass. It creates the illusion that if somebody smashed into the back of the vehicle, the passengers wouldn't have much of a buffer area. As you pointed out, it's not very different from side impacts where the passenger may be leaning on the door. Also, the part of the vehicle that would be impacted in a collision would most likely be the bumper and "floor" of the vehicle, not the rear window. A little disconcerting, yes, but somewhat psychological. Granted the two feet or so of space from the rear bumper to the seatback bottom is less than in a sedan or full-size SUV, but as long as the crush zone is properly designed, it should be more than adequate. One last related note, side and rear impacts are generally one vehicle impacting another as opposed to two vehicles traveling towards each other as in a frontal impact, and thus create less force on impact. The crumple zone doesn't need to be as large therefore. Also, rear impacts will generally allow the impacted vehicle to roll forward to dissipate some of the energy. Like in an egg toss, where you can swing your arm in the direction of the egg's motion when you catch it to lessen the blow.