Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• fjelffjelf Posts: 8
    I got the distance sensors off of eBay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60203&item=5859521488
    and painted them with matching color bought from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

Total cost just under $100 and I got to take the car apart, and drill in the new bumpers. :)

I found that the reverse light is not sent to the trailer (found the connector in the rear) but all other signals were easily accessible and after some color code matching from the cables I figured out which one was the reverse.

The only flaw with my setup is that the display is not bright enough for direct sunlight... but then again that's it. I am very happy with it and the paint match is perfect! Just remember to clean the sensors before you paint them since they use silicon in the molds when they manufacture them.

Hope this is helpful for you.
  • Thanks a lot for the info

Very kind of you
  • mjk7mjk7 Posts: 8
    Does anyone have any inside info on if or when Thule or Yakima will come out with a fit guide for the Tribeca? I can't seem to get any info from them except for a generic response that they will let me know when they have a fit out ready. I need longer bars for windsurfing. I love the car it is amazing but I can't beleive the fixed roof rack that is very limiting. The Acura MDX is the same way. I use the SUV as an SUV and the factory rack is just not adequate.
  • yoyodkyoyodk Posts: 28
    I've had my Tribeca for a little over 2 weeks now and just passed the 1,000 mile mark. I noticed after the first week I was about a 1/2 quart low on oil and after 2 weeks I was down a full quart. I'm hoping this can be attributed to the break-in, but this doesn't appear to be a common thread in this forum. I have to take it in to the dealer in a couple of weeks to get my crossbars so I plan on asking the service department about this issue then. :(
    There are quite a few messages about X-pel protection film, but I also came across another one called Invisible Patterns which uses a film called Venture Shield. Seems like pretty impressive stuff. Anyone every heard of this product?

http://www.invisiblepatterns.com/

Anyway, I'm trying to locate a local shop (Seattle area) that will put on the headlight & foglight protection as well as tint my front windows to match the other windows. I'll call around and see what the price difference is between the X-pel and the Venture Shield.
  • cptpltcptplt Posts: 1,075
    I had a similar problem and it went away after about 3000miles and I've not had to top up since then, have about 11K now. Have no clue why it did that but I was checking the oil almost every other day the first few months!
    Thanks cptplt, that's good to hear that this will hopefully resolve itself. I had read about the defective oil filters earlier in this forum, but I checked my oil filter and could see no signs of leakage, plus my car was manufactured (2/06) after the bad lot of filters. No other signs of leakage or burning in the exhaust, so it's gotta be going somewhere....
  • aka1aka1 Posts: 110
    My car was MFG'd 08/05 and had an identical problem, was low about a quart the first thousand miles or so, topped it off twice. After the first oil change the level has been correct and has never needed top offs. I suspect the breaking in consumes more oil, but I did not notice any change in the exhaust gas...

AKA1
    Thanks, it's somewhat comforting to know that the initial oil consumption is not that unusual. I have to wonder if it's that way with all of the H6 engines or just a select few such as ours? My neighbor has a brand new Forester and his engine (H4) did not consume any oil at all during the first few months.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The H6 has been out since 2001 IIRC. I haven't heard complaints about oil consumption. The Tribeca is a bit heavier, so it is working a little harder.

-juice
  • kmartinkmartin Posts: 427
    My service rep asked me today how I like the Tribeca after 11 months and 16k miles. I told her I love it more every day, and feel quite spoiled each time I drive it. She mentioned that they really anticipated lots more service problems since it's a new model, but have been surprised with very few issues in a year's time, and all relatively minor. Nice to know! Hope this is the case everywhere.

-Karen in AZ-
  • b9bingob9bingo Posts: 46
    My DVD player screen is not working. It works fine on the nav. and the DVD player works well, but the 9" screen is all white with a colored bar code look displayed on the screen. Is there a reset button? I tried turning it off a few times, and a different movie, but had the same results. Anyone else run across the same problem? I've been working so many hours I wont be able to take it to the dealer anytime soon. I guess I'll try to set up something with them tomorro.
    Anyone notice the rear hatch rattle when you go over a bump? I know the rear hatch shocks have a recall, but I dont think it would solve my problem, plus the hatch is working perfect thus far. I had my wife drive and I stuffed myself in the third row seat (200 lbs.) and I can actually see the hatch vibrating. It's closed fully, I guess I have to set something up with Subaru for this too. By the way, I LOVE MY B9!
  • aka1aka1 Posts: 110
    I haven't had any problems with the hatch- but the second row seats, if they are reclined and left in that position without anyone sitting in them, they make more noise than if left in the normal upright position. The third row seat belts if not put in the "clips" along the wall tend to rattle as well.

AKA1
    Has it been a year already? Wow, time flies!

I've had the Forester for almost 9 years! I can't believe it.

-juice
    I've noticed this as well and have solved them just as you have, but the rattle I'm getting now is from the rear hatch. I hope it an be fixed with a simple hatch adjustment.
  • solhornsolhorn Posts: 2
    I got the SV1 Sirius radio for my B9 tribeca and it has been a complete nightmare. the quality is so bad that last night I ripped it out of my car and I am returning it tonight. I have alot of static and a high pitch whistling noise in the back ground. If anybody has any thoughts i would really appreciate it. :mad:
  • pschreckpschreck Posts: 524
    I had to use a ground isolator to eliminate the whine that I got when hooked into the rear entertainment inputs. I got it on eBay for ten bucks with shipping and hooked it up yesterday. I haven't had much of a chance to check it out yet.

The problem with using the RES inputs is that I can't get much volume when using them. The FM hookup is much better in that respect. I guess Subaru put a resistor on the inputs to keep kids from blasting the volume on their video games to much.
  • skernerskerner Posts: 18
    Hi All - have the B9 about 3 weeks - so far so good - but, the nav system seems sub-par compared to others - my nissan has a great one. B9's has missing street names - can't find streets that have been on maps for 5 years, etc. Does anyone know if there is an updated dvd for the system? My dealer couldn't even find the manual for me for an hour....Thanks,
    Steve
    Somebody on one of the boards said his dealer told him an update would be out in June. I have no idea how accurate that info is though.
  • marilynwmarilynw Posts: 24
    For those of us that do not have the navigation system, I just purchased the Garmin Street Pilot C340. It is excellent. It is pre-loaded and ready to go out of the box. It has text to speech with street names.Got mine for under $540. It's a great little gaget! :)
    I have the poor man's version, the C320. It was no pre-loaded and it can't read the street names, but otherwise it works the same. I've seen them on mail order for about $370.

Good, affordable option. We fight over ours, me and my wife. Time to buy a 2nd one!

-juice
    gpsnow.com offers what appears to be good pricing on Garmin units.
    I'm impressed by their selection of accessories. They even sell replacement suction cup mounts/chargers.

I've found slightly lower prices but service was poor so I'd consider trying them out.

-juice
  • marilynwmarilynw Posts: 24
    Hey Juice,
    I bought mine at buydig.com. It came with the suction cup mount, which works great. It also has the adhesive disk in case you want a permanant mount. I love the touch screen. quick and easy. My final cost was $532.49 and free shiping.
    You can find some on ebay that are refirbushed a little cheaper.
    -Marilyn
    My concern with refurbished ones is that the maps would be older, more outdated. I've already found a few mistakes in mine, and it's current.

-juice
  • skernerskerner Posts: 18
    Well - I used the nav system on a 40 mile trip thru NJ last evening - to a town I was unfamiliar with - but on many roads that I do know - While the touch screen is good and the system is kind of intuitive, the results are completely awful - it took me off the main road at one point and brought me back on the same road after a mile. It took my wife off the parkway the other day into a parking lot that didn't connect with the main road. Just terrible. We'll be calling Subaru shortly to discuss. There are many stand alone systems that people rave about - but we wanted the convenience of built in system. Thanks for listening.
    Steve
    Thoughts on possible explanations...

Some roads are time-restricted, i.e. they are on-way in rush hour in the AM, and then the other way in the PM. Some GPS systems will avoid those because it's not sure if they are open or closed. That may have been why.

Perhaps the parking lot used to be connected, and the maps just need updating.

Subaru buys the maps, but I'm sure they'll forward your corrections to whoever owns them.

-juice
  • cluelesspacluelesspa Posts: 648
    I have to agree the GPS mapping software needs major improvement. It has many times (yes more then 3 or 4 times) when I even stopped first and waited for the system to plot the entire route first. then drove... it would route me on a stupid 3 mile loop only to come back to the same Road I left one mile later! so I actually went 2 miles MORE. using the FASTest setting.
    I don't use "Shortest" anymore. It will take you through a city because that route is shorter than taking the Beltway or bypass.
This discussion has been closed.