Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet HHR Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    It looks like 2007 LS models have a 2000 rebate and the LT model has a 2500 rebate. I was in the market for a used one, but might consider new now...
  • weighmasterweighmaster Member Posts: 8
    The dealer I went to had rebates on both the 07s and 08s... Base 07s were at $14500 , automatics were at 15500, and ones with the stain package were at 16000. Although I dont think there are any 08 rebates on the chevy website, the dealer said there were, which was fine with me... In fact during negotiation, the lead sales guy said he found an extra $500 rebate to take off the price...which was again, fine by me. This dealership still has around 25 HHRs on the lot, and is trying to get rid of them.
  • heraldazheraldaz Member Posts: 1
    Need some advice on 2007 HHR price. I was offered a LS A/T at 14450. That's $500 under invoice and after $2000 rebate. A/T is the only option besides standard. Is this price good? How possiblely lower can I try?
  • poncho167poncho167 Member Posts: 1,178
    Being that its an 07 im not sure how much lower you can get it. With the auto its nice that it comes standard with the traction control. Maybe you could try to have them throw in some floor mats or something.
  • primetime2primetime2 Member Posts: 2
    Looking at buying a 2008 HHR LT2. Victory Red ebony leather interior lots of options, MSRP is 23,975.00 have a price qoute of 21,771.00 that includes the 1500.00 rebate, so they have basically knocked off 704.oo off sticker, thinking I should be able to do better than that. With california sales tax and registration that would get me back to the sticker price out the door. How much should I expect them to knock price down before the Rebate. Anybody seen a HHR with AA5 option (solid rear quarter panel) ?
    Normally after a vehicles is out a couple months one can usually expect about 10% off. I would negotiate a little more. The 2008 hasn't been out too long yet, the 2007's can be a steal.
  • elvisluvselvisluvs Member Posts: 29
    This is just a hunch- gm is ending this month's rebates on 11/19. I would guess that there is the possibility of some sort of holiday sale- though I don't know if the 08 hhr will have a smaller or bigger rebate. Ymmv.
  • primetime2primetime2 Member Posts: 2
    Does that 10% include the rebate or not. If I could get 10% plus the rebate I would be stoked ! Cars direct price was not much better about 1000 off before rebate.
    PT2- I don't know about the 10%, or for that matter the rebates. It seems that the stated difference between msrp and invoice is probably $1500 +/-. What's potentialy good for me may not be good for you. Like if you painstakingly use the chevy web sight you can search stock for 2007 or 2008, lt or ls. Since we also want a lt; as well as me being cheap- I have searched through a LOT of dealers inventory. It appears to not be exact in terms of inventory, but you can pull up the window sticker and look for the packages you desire. In my search - it seems like the colors- black, red, and orange seemed to have either been produced in very large amounts, or are lanquishing on the lots (2007's) imho. And I think someone mentioned this earlier in this thread- when the '08's are on the lot- it makes it tougher to sell the 07's without more factory help. Again- lots of people don't think buying a year old model is a good move. Some folks do- depending on the value they feel they are getting. Good luck.
    10% not including rebate.
    Thanks for clearing that up Poncho. I also wanted to add in my previous post how PAINFUL that inventory search is at the chevy website.
  • jellyfish1jellyfish1 Member Posts: 4
    OK... I can get a 2007 2.2 LS with A/T and upgraded radio (MSRP $17,790) for $15,990 out the door, after the rebate (dealer stated as $2500... must mean the LT rebate will soon go to $3000 officially). There was a loss leader at $18,512 MSRP that was advertised for $12K this past weekend at a different dealer, before tax & license.

I'm disappointed that this car doesn't come with ABS, but that's my only big concern. (They are also trying to force a $200 payment for etching ID codes on the windows, included in the above price.)

Good deal or no? I felt like I should be able to get out the door at closer to $15k, especially considering itthe car's basically devoid of extras. They have two identical 2007 units as the only prior year models on the lot at this dealer. Would appreciate any advice/feedback those with experience would care to give. I basically have the day to think it over.

Thanks!
    I hope this isn't too late- my gut (and only my opinion) is it isn't that good of a deal. If you didn't buy today- post up your zip so I can look around a bit later for you.
    I haven't gone in to buy yet, so any help is appreciated... ZIP is 85225

Thanks!
    Hi Jellyfish1- I cannot tell you it was a good deal or not. Why I asked for your zip (fwiw) is I looked around at the chevy site for what your area dealers (supposedly) have in stock. I saw a couple of other ls autos (not necessarily with the radio upgrd). If reasonably in budget- I also saw several 07 lt's from 18.5 to 19.9 sticker. The 18.5 sticker one was a basic lt 2.2 auto located in wickenburg. Assuming there is another 500 rebate coming- it might be an option for you. Considering the rebate may change on the 20th (as your dealer seemed to say to you), it might be worth sitting tight for ten days or so. If I was in no rush I would email several (or more) dealers and see what they offer- including some of the lesser msrp lt's. Please remember though- you might not get a better deal; and the car you are considering might be sold out from under you. So please use your best judgement for your situation. Good luck-hth
    Btw- if anyone out in the southwest knows of real bargains on hhr's out there- please share with JF1- thank you :)
  • vschrivervschriver Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the LT1 2007 not even two weeks ago for around $15,500 in Maine. That was with the 2500 rebate and marked down again because of a few paint dings on the hood (NO BIG DEAL). So far I LOVE this car the more I drive it the more I love it. I went and tested 4 other 2007 vehicles and this is the only one I really liked. It rides smooth, and so far no problems...but again I've only had it for under 10 days.
    elvisluvs: thanks... we're still sitting tight. I got the dealer to agree today to drop the $200 they had built in for etching the VIN on the windows - so now it's down to $15,890 out the door... another night to sleep on it... I actually talked to the Wickenburg dealer and they weren't moving much on price... had a White LT at $19,700 before rebate, but that's above my budget...

Thanks again!
    No problem Jellyfish1- that's good to hear about the $200. Since it's still early in the west- maybe we will hear from some more folks. Keep us up to date.
    vschriver: Was the $15,500 before tax and license? Is it an automatic? What was MSRP? Thanks!
  • cutiecutiecutiecutie Member Posts: 1
    I plan to purchase a 2007 LT2 within a day or so but I am truly unclear about the price I should pay.I realize it is the end of the year and the 08s are now out so I assume the price should be less.Trying to get in the Red Tag event.Would appreciate all advice given.My zip is 21244. I am trying to internet shop to get the lowest price.
    Taking a look at the chevy sight- there appears to be a lot of 07's left around where you are cutiecutie. There was a post previous in this thread that mentioned invoice minus rebates (if not taking 0%) less 10%. Considering today is the last day of the month-(a big potential bargaining chip)- start looking at what dealers have models you are interested in and email the internet departments. I would also be checking the papers- maybe one of your local dealer's are motivated- gl.
  • tutu3tutu3 Member Posts: 1
    Recently, I bought a brand new 2008 HHR LS Automatic for $14271 with rebates.
    With tax+title+fees, out the door price was $15500. It has a black exterior and ebony interior.

Do you think the price is OK?

Thanks.

Tutu3
    That sound like a descent price. Happy driving.
  • junajuna Member Posts: 15
    I'm looking to potentially buy or lease an '08 HHR LS with a roof rack & remote starter with 12k miles/year for 36-39 months and zero down (except tax, title, license, 1st months pmt, etc.). What are the dealer percentages I need to know on these? What kind of monthly payment should I be shooting for? I want to know what a top notch deal would be to purchase this vehicle. I'm in Detroit.

I basically just want to go into the dealer and say, "If you can give me the car for $XXX per month including taxes, consider it done." And if not, I'll walk out the door. I just need to figure out how much $XXX should be.

BTW, I can get a family discount b/c someone in my immediate family worked for GM for 30+ years. Plus, I have a GM Card with a flyer stating that I can get $3000 earnings top-off (I have $2800 earnings) off select vehicles (HHR is on the list) in January. How can I figure out what the best monthly payment is based on all of this?

What about leasing deals? Any help is appreciated.
  • megan03megan03 Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a 2008 HHR LT Shadow Edition. Includes Leather Seats and Enhanced Sound Package. Paid $18,410.25. Sticker was Just shy of $22,000.

That number includes $1500 + $1000 in rebates. One was for owner loyalty.

Love the car.
    Sounds nice. What does the Shadow edition consist of?
  • rose4hhrrose4hhr Member Posts: 4
    He was charging you full price for a demo with 5,000 miles:P ...glad you caught him :shades: ....! ;)
  • novanova Member Posts: 135
    Can you get the 2500.00 rebate and the 0 interest for 72 months?
  • megan03megan03 Member Posts: 4
    No....they are mutually exclusive.
  • sgarzsgarz Member Posts: 4
    What is a fair amount to expect to pay for an out-the door price including tax&license and $2500 in rebates?

I often hear of people getting fantastic deals, but the last car we purchased in 2000 - we were royally screwed......

I've searched the web extensively, but don't really have a clue as to what a dealer would have paid for an LT2 and how much we should offer.

Can someone please help?

S Garz
    Well with just the list price alone at least 10%.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who has purchased a GM vehicle over the past six months or interested in buying one shortly. Please send your daytime phone number to [email protected] by Monday, April 13, 2009.
    Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• chevyman09hhrchevyman09hhr Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new HHR yesterday
    The list price was 20530
    i got a discount for being a member of a credit union of 1000
    I got the 2500 in the GM rebates and incentives
    500 discount for the new york auto show
    and a 500 discount for the spring maintance coupons

I am very happy with it
    Congratulations. Keep it maintained per the manual and you should have many trouble free years. Chevrolets last the longest.
    My husband & I purchased an LT2 in April. Straight LT2 package w/ USB port.
    Out-the-door price $21,500.

We're very pleased with the car - what a great ride!
    Sounds nice. I don't have one but have driven them.
  • doggie76doggie76 Member Posts: 4
    I'm here in Atlanta and just bought the 09 LT2 w/ leather, sunroof and roof rails. The MSRP was $24,703. Negotiated the price down to $21,801, slightly below invoice and got the following rebates:
    $2500 cash rebate
    $750 USAA rebate
    $250 Credit union member rebate
    $1000 Overage (been on the lot a while) Rebate
    + $21 State & Title fees
    + $75 Admin/Doc fees (If you get the supplier program certificate through the credit union discount the doc fee goes from $399 to $75)
    $1000 and change for sales tax
    Finally, got the Cash for clunkers $4500 for my old minivan trade

All in all ended up financing $15,000 through Pentagon Federal credit union @ 3.99%.

I think i got a good deal and am VERY pleased with the car.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A national newspaper is looking to speak to consumers who financed through GMAC and got approved or tried to finance through GMAC and didn’t get approved. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to [email protected] by Thursday, July 30, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mspercmsperc Member Posts: 1
    Well, I WAS approved through GMAC for 0% interest at Wondries Chevrolet in Alhambra, CA. I was trying to take advantage of the "cash for clunkers" program. My auto is a 1991 Ford Explorer XLT. So I qualified. I wanted to buy the HHR L2 w/leather package. I was told all was ok...my paperwork was in order (income, registration, insurance, & registration). This took place on Friday 9/21. I had to leave town for Las vegas that evening & would return on Sunday, 9/23. I explained this to them & asked if I needed to be there it to sign any documents in order for the cash for clunkers paperwork to go thru, they told me no, despite them not having the car in stock, however, they went on the internet & located an available one at another dealer. They told me they called that dealer & the car would b there for sure by Monday. We were to finish the financing paperwork at that time.

I asked them if my being away would b a problem, they said no because they did not have the HHR in their possesion at that time anyway. They had my cell #, I asked them to call if they needed to speak w/me about anything. I was about only 3-4 hrs driving distance away.

I did not hear from them over the weekend, so I assumed all was fine. I returned to calif Sunday evening & called them Monday morning, they told me all was ok, they would get the car that day, all they had to do was release a check to the other dealer.

Well, since the clunker cars would b junked, I went to the store I had the radio I bought installed for my Ford & had it removed. Within 1 minute after that took place, I get a call from Wondies Chevrolet, saying they COULD NOT get the car, that it had been sold by the dealer that promised it to them. (Chevrolet dealer in Glendale, CA) When earlier, they told me that the car was available at that dealership! I then drove to Wondries.

They proceeded to tell me all kinds of reasons why they did not get the car, & now it was just not available. However, there was no consistency in what they were telling me, so I thought they were just lies. They never took responsibility & blamed it on the other dealership. I was also told that they needed the HHR to b in their dealership so the VIN # of the HHR could b submitted in the cash for clunkers paperwork. Now, remember, I had asked them about the paperwork needed for this on Friday. They also told me that Wondries had stopped the cash for clunkers deal on Sunday evening. I was never contacted by phone & told anything of this, I learned it when i went to them on Monday, 9/24.

Suffice to say, I was not able to get the car. I was so upset & felt so violated. Did not think I would b able get the car as the program was ending & some other dealerships ended it the night before.

Now, the cash for clunkers deal is off & I still have my Ford clunker. In addition an inqury or 2 on my Credit Report and no new car!
  • huffmanshhr1huffmanshhr1 Member Posts: 14
    Yes it really is a common problem. Our 2007, bought at 32k, has it pretty bad, looks like you JUST ran through something and it will wash off but its permanant. :( Its okay though....every single car has its little quirks and we are very very satisfied with our new "baby girl" :)
  • emmy77emmy77 Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate some comments about handle ability in the snow. I haven't purchased the HHR yet but am holding back based on this one huge factor.
  • carthellcarthell Member Posts: 130
    Yep, waay late...

Get snow tires.
    Get snow tires.
    Get snow tires.

Traction control plus Stabilitrac will help, as long as you're reasonable about where and how you're driving. My sister's 2001 Cavalier has traction control, and (years ago) it handled an unexpected patch of ice better than my old Sentra with no stability systems or ABS.
  • kristi_mkristi_m Member Posts: 8
    I purchased my 2010 HHR LS two weeks ago from a dealer in Morton, IL (2 hours away). It was previously a rental car and has 21,000 miles on it. I paid $11,400 for the car. I was excited because I drive about 700 miles a week and wanted XM Radio and Cruise Control, but couldn't afford to pay too much since I do rack up the miles quickly. I am disappointed to say that the listing said it had XM radio and RDS radio. I didn't bother to check those when I looked at and bought the car, I didn't know they'd lie about that. Well, I get home and spend three hours the next day getting ticked because I couldn't figure out how to make the XM come on. After going through the book 10 times...it's not equipped with XM radio, or even RDS. Just plain, basic radio.

Overall, I love the car, but all I'm left with now is a completely basic HHR with Cruise Control as the only feature. :(
    I emailed the salesman, he told me to look for the CAT button, if there isn't one then I don't have XM. I said, "But, the whole reason I bought this car was for Cruise Control and XM radio as it stated on the listing!" ARGH! Frustrating. Now he won't return any emails.

Good thing I work for attorneys. Hopefully he'll just swap out the radio and install the dang XM. Would have bought the other HHR (that supposedly had XM radio, too) if I had known it wasn't equipped on this one as he told me.
    edited November 2010
    I also have a 2009 HHR and I was under the impression that all models of the 2010 HHR had XM capabilities but that you have go through XM radio to register your car, so to speak, and pay the monthly fee. We purchased our car new and we had free XM radio for 3 months - after that, it would have 'gone away' if we hadn't picked up the monthly fee on our own. Have you contacted XM?
  • kristi_mkristi_m Member Posts: 8
    I have not contacted XM, as I can only get it if it comes equipped with a radio that allows XM. This one has just a basic radio, no XM capabilities. I was more than willing to have a XM subscription.... but now if I want it, I'll have to replace the whole damn stereo and have the antenna installed.

I was under the same impression--that XM comes standard in all 2010's... obviously it is not. I was hoping the dealer would admit their mistake and swap it out for me, but they're not admitting to any fault here, either. I'm looking at anywhere from $400-700 to have XM installed. Frustrating.
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    I believe the answer is in your first post 'rental car' . It is my understanding many fleet/rental vehicles come without some items which are standard for normal new vehicle sales, like XM radio an onstar.
  • vagabondchefvagabondchef Member Posts: 107
    My 2010 HHR LS automatic came with XM radio and Onstar and I paid $13,200 new in July 2010. You should threaten legal action with the dealership to swapout the radio with a GM Chev Factory in-dash XM radio or go to the local media and make a consumer complaint. A dealership can definitaly afford to do this as it is only $500.00 at best to swap out and install. If the saleperson said it had XM hold them to their word and get the BBB involved. The more the local media knows about it, the dealership will fess up and take care of the problem. The HHR is a great car, most people I know have over 100,000 miles on theirs and it is still running strong.
    Also return the car to their doorstep and buy an 2010 HHR LS with Factory XM and OnStar, if nothing is resolved, also stop payment on the check if your not satisfied.
    Every dealer needs to make sure their customers are 100% happy with their purchase.
    Make them sell you a new 2010 HHR with XM radio, you get from chev the 1st three months free and then XM gives you special offers to stay on after 3 months, I got 1 year XM everything for 118.00 a year or $10.00 a month. Its worth a try.
    The HHR has low maintenance and is cheap to maintain, It is built with Pride in Mexico, across the river from Laredo Texas. , It has a 5-star crash test rating. A well-made car, probably one of the best ones that chev built!!
This discussion has been closed.