Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac G6 Hardtop Convertible

tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
Does anyone know the latest info on when the G6 convertible is set to be in dealerships? I've read rumors that they are starting to trickle off the assembly line. Are these likely still pre-production models or the beginning of the retail models?

Comments

• e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Pontiac web site says Early 2006
  • bxdbxd Member Posts: 186
    Everything I've read says early 2006. This is a car I'm eagerly anticipating. Should be my first new car in about 7 years. I just want GM to take their time and do it right. I currently have a 95 Cutlass Supreme Convertible and at 143k miles its still doing well. I am hoping for just that kind of reliability out of this G6.
  • wh9wh9 Member Posts: 32
    Does anyone know what the anitcipated price of the car will be?
  • martymartmartymart Member Posts: 23
    I live about 30 minutes from the plant and know several workers that know a little bit. I am hearing they are making the first 500 of pre-production to get the trunk release right. It is going to open two seperate ways, correctly and for the top to go into it. There had been some problems with the hinge, but I think they have worked them out. After the 500 are built, they will start producing them for retail. I think it will be a hit with prices expected to stay under $35k.
  • minnguy34minnguy34 Member Posts: 11
    The Pontiac website has removed all mention of the G6 convertible. I did a google search and got a Pontiac link for a G6 convertible website. But the link opened to the Solstice page, even though the url said: http://www.pontiac.com/?seo=goo_G6_Convertible</a
    Maybe the first 500 will be real collector items.
  • adman469adman469 Member Posts: 3
    Last I heard is that it was delayed again because of production problems. Apparently the top mechanism doesn't meet the standards of the top manufacturer. GM, however, said it was good enough for them. Further proof of why I won't trust a hardtop convertible from GM.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    That's funny.

The articles I saw - all reporting unconfirmed rumors in any event - said that GM was the one not accepting Karmann's quality.

In any event, the real story from GM media relations is they are setting up a G6 Convertible specific website that is about to launch in the near future.

No delay, no problem, big launch.
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    The other night on the late night Jimmy Kimmel show they had an actual G6 convertible outside on the street with the top down. After a few jokes and discussion about some sort of roadtrip they're going to make with the car, they demonstrated the hardtop operation. If was very slick and looked great with the hardtop up, much like the coupe. This car is gonna be AWESOME!!
  • nissan350znissan350z Member Posts: 81
    Anyone know when this G6 will hit the showroom or how much they will be? A local dealer told me they wouldn't get any untill May 2006. GM says it will be here Jan 06?
  • calidavecalidave Member Posts: 156
    Pontiac.com says "early 2006"

which should be anytime before July 1, in my book (but that really would be MID 2006)

I've seen nothing else
  • mhs7386mhs7386 Member Posts: 33
    I have been told by some reliable people from Pontiac that the car should be in showrooms in March. One person said as early as March 1. This looks like a great car. Not many hardtop convertibles out there, and none that I know of in this price range.
    Pontiac issued a press release on Jan. 20, 2006 saying the G6 hardtop convertible will have a sticker price of $28,940. It also says the car will be in dealerships this spring. Wish they could be more specific. But with the announcement of the exact price, they obviously are getting closer! I have already ordered this car.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I wonder when they will release the price for the GTP version. The GT version is going to be pretty slow with all the additional weight of the hardtop added on.
    Found out today that the G6 GTP hard-top convertible will have a list price of $29,990. That's only $1500 more than the GT. For that little extra, to get the 240 HP, I changed my order from GT to GTP. Car should arrive sometime in March; Pontiac announced it would arrive "in spring" to play it conservatively.
    I still dont know why the convertible has only 227hp as opposed to 240hp in the other cars. I read somewhere that the production of the drop top begins in April.
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    Differences in exhaust restrictiveness
    You're right,the GTP convertible will have 227hp, not 240 as I had thought. But 227 is fine for me. I can also tell you production starts in February, not April.
    I'm glad it starts earlier. I read somewhere that there was supposed to be a plant shutdown to prepare for the convertible in April. I figured that was off because Pontiac has updated their website with info on the convertible.
  • sigt1sigt1 Member Posts: 66
    anyone know if the GT will come w/o the woodtrim; is woodtrim only available on GTP? I hope so! Anyword on the realiablity of the hardtop and if they are going to follow the german companies quality standards?
  • shirleybbshirleybb Member Posts: 3
    Are dealers taking orders for this car? I went to a local dealer and they told me it wasn't expected until "later this year" - should I find another dealer? Also do you have any idea what the warranty on the top mechanism will be?
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    ...is what I was told at the recent Washington, D.C. car show too. When I pushed a little, he said probably September.

When I smiled and said September didn't seem like a good time to introduce a convertible, he laughed and said, "Well, that's when we always introduce new models.'

Okey-dokey. The "way they've always done it" seems to reign supreme.

I doubt you'd get any better answer from another dealer this early in the year. Try again in May, perhaps.
    Just found out today there is ANOTHER DELAY in producing the G6 hard-top convertible. Production pushed back another month or two...until March or April.

It looks like a nice car but I am leasing a different one now as my current lease is up in March. I will also see if there are any first year model kinks they have to work out on the G6.
  • dicky4dicky4 Member Posts: 3
    On 3/1/06 I visited my local Pontiac Dealer and he gave me a copy of a vehicle order for a 2006 G6 convertible GTP due later this month. He will call when it comes in.
    You won't get your car until late April at the earliest, and more likely sometime in May if you're lucky. I have talked to a lot of people inside Pontiac, forget what your salesman tells you. It does look like a nice vehicle if you are not in a rush, though. Good luck.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    They'll probably hit the dealers' lots just in time for Winter.
    I have been hearing that the top is having problems when it comes against the top of the windshield. The plant is within 30 minutes of my dealership and we have a lot of workers in and out of here. We have ordered our first GTP, but we do not have any indication of when we will have it. In December, a line worker told me that they were making changes to have every 4th car be a convertible.

I hope they hurry up with this drop top, the introduction of the Solstice was just in time for the snow to fly. Hopefully people in this area will be able to enjoy their convertibles when it is above 50 degrees.
    Thanks for the information, martymart. What a bummer. I could wait until late April at the latest, but to due my current lease expiring, no longer than that. So it appears the G6 convertible won't be my next car. You seem to have good "inside info."
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    A Pontiac dealer in Naperville, IL had a prototype out front on loan from Pontiac. Car looks sharp, got to sit in it and feel it out. Comfortable seats interior looks nice. Wife wants it. Salesman said that they should be getting them in around June 1st. He also said they are selling them at sticker (said some dealers may be selling for over sticker) and they have already taken deposits for four.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    What is sticker for these cars, something in the high 20's?
    Just shy of $30k for the base, a fully equipted one maybe mid 30's plus. I think the salesman said one set up like the prototype would be around $35k.

• exalteddragon1exalteddragon1 Member Posts: 729
    that may be what the dealer says, give the car a bit of time. The official pricing is like 27K for the GT and 29K for the GTP. Im sure w/options it could go beyond 30K but honestly with the GTP you should get just about everything for under 30K.

What a deal :)
    According to Pontiacs website the GT starts at $28,490 the GTP starts at $29,990 (add destination charges and your over $30K).

• atljcatljc Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the G6 convertible has roll hoops or roll bars? The dealership could only explain that the windshield was the rollover protection, but what about passengers in the back seat?
  • tripowergtotripowergto Member Posts: 83
    Ummmnnn... it's a convertible, back seat passenger safety is going to be marginal at best in any droptop with the top down. AT least with the G6 the hardtop(when up) will give rear seat passengers much more safety then a typical soft top.
  • atljcatljc Member Posts: 2
    I can appreciate your comment. The "Ummm" was unnecessary. I'm not an idiot, so you can save that for someone who will listen.

German auto-makers include pop-up rollover protection devices, so my question was simple, will the Pontiac do so also?

I guess the answer is "Umm no".

Umm, thanks.

Have a umm, great umm day Mr. Umm Rude.
  • midwesttradermidwesttrader Member Posts: 291
    At that price point the competition is the Solara ($30,210) and Sebring ($28,765). I wish them luck.
    Seeing the Pontiac isn't a ragtop I think they will do very well.

I have noticed several units on the road as well as a demo version at the ncaa tourny games I attended. We did recieve our display items for our showroom yesterday and we are anticipating the arrival. They should do well in my market due to the low availabilty of the Solstice. It should peak interest in the four seat, hard top.... They are producing them (atleast that is what my informat told me).

Does anyone here have one ordered yet?
    I got a call from my dealer and he said they expect their G6 GTP convertible to arrive in about 3 weeks. He will call when they get the invoice. It comes just before the car is delivered. I have first chance to buy it if I like it.
  • shirleybbshirleybb Member Posts: 3
    I went to my dealer last Wednesday to see if I could order the GTP. He told me he could order the GT and it has a build date of 4/9/06 but that he could not order the GTP yet. He even called GM right while I was sitting there to find out if they had a date when they could place an order for the GTP and they said they did not have a date yet - that he should call back each week to get an update.

I'll keep trying!
  • machinamachina Member Posts: 2
    Silver GTP model was on display. Marketing guys were demonstrating the top going up and down. Very cool. Looked very good with top up and down. Plenty of headroom with top up. Backseat room good as well. Rear visibility was good with top up. Seemed better than the normal view out the back of the coupe. Almost no storage space in trunk with top down. Mechanicals of top seemed to work fine. Marketing guys said Pontiac is now taking orders for July delivery. Pretty impressive. Anybody want to buy my GTP in July so I can get the convertible instead?
    I have not seen a G6 and was wondering if the seam has a black rubber seal that is noticeable when the top is up? Also, has anyone compared the G6 to the VW Eos? The discussion site on Edmund's has a lot of postings and is talking about a starting price under $30,000.
  • minnguy34minnguy34 Member Posts: 11
    The GMfleet.com site has information on the 2007 G6's. Under New for 2007, it says: Deletions: 2ZM67 GTP Convertible model. You can still get the 3.9 engine, but as an option for the GT convertible. I wonder if that will make 2006 G6 GTP convertibles more collectable. The GTP will still be available as a coupe or sedan. A 6 speed automatic is now standard on the GTP coupe and GTP sedan along with a new 3.6 liter engine. But that transmission/engine option is not available on the convertible.
  • machinamachina Member Posts: 2
    I don't get it. Why would Pontiac sell the highest end version of the car -- the hard top convertible -- but not sell it as at GTP? Only as a GT. Do I have this right? Seems like odd marketing to me. I have a 2006 GTP sedan and tried to buy the top of the line.
  • bobinnjbobinnj Member Posts: 22
    FYI - just put in an order for the '06 GTP convertible. Dealers are taking orders. The post about discontinuation of GTP for '07 is interesting. So maybe I'll have a collector's item? Or maybe they'll send the '07 GT instead? From past experience, it takes 6- 8 weeks for delivery. So I would expect late June- early July if you order now.
  • beachlifebeachlife Member Posts: 11
    I too ordered a GTP convertible, the first week of April. The dealer was not interested in coming to terms on price so I'm not sure if I will by it or not. Paid my $1,000.00 refundable deposit and will decide when it gets here. After I have seen it, driven it ( if they let me) and they decide what they intend to charge for it. Silver with the dark interior GTP seats, 6 disk changer, shiney wheels,auto tran, remote start and all. Can't remember the name of the option package or interior color name at the moment. It sounds nice, but I won't pay sticker or above for a car. Never have, never will. I have not dealt with this dealership befor so even though I told them that, we'll see. Perhaps they just wanted the order so they could get one in early. Anyway, If they up the price beyound what I see edmunds suggest I'll walk and give them time to come down a little. Ford did a good job of getting a lot of mustangs to market early and made it easy to get a "deal" early on. I think the G6 production numbers are expected to be much higher than the solstice numbers. That should help with the price. Too bad you can't track these orders on the net. PS, The dealership had an alocation and the order was acepted immediately.
  • bobinnjbobinnj Member Posts: 22
    OK on ordering the GTP. I have a feeling they'll be selling for MSRP, at least early on, especially if the GTP is discontinued for '07. Hopefully, the dealers won't try to charge over that, but I doubt you're going to get them to cut sticker for a mid-summer delivery. I recall when the GTO's were first announced, they were selling for sticker, and possibly more. Since they flopped, seems like they're cutting them to the bone now. My dealer said he got the inbound shipment notice a couple weeks ago for his first G6 convert., so it should come in shortly and I'll test drive it. If I don't like it I'll back out too, but I'm hoping it will be as good as it's being cracked up to be. My concern is head room, since I sat in a G6 coupe with sunroof and my head hit the liner (I'm 6'0"). Since there's no sunroof in the convert, I'm hoping the head room will be better. Salesman said the one he ordered for me will be the only other one he's allotted until '07 (he's a small Pontiac dealer and has several other brand lines). Hopefully, they'll be building these in greater numbers than the Solstice. I still don't understand the reason for cutting the GTP from the G6 convert. line for '07 since this would be the one favored by enthusiasts and help GM's lousy sales figures. Stupid decision by Pontiac if you ask me, but guess they have their reasons ($$ savings?).
  • burghburgh Member Posts: 17
    I have inspected both. I have driven the C70 and I turned down an offer to drive the G6 Hardtop. There is no comparison or competition between these two cars. I have put a deposit down for a C70 to be delivered by July 31st. If you are looking for a hardtop convertible and you can afford the C70 then do not even think about the G6 hardtop. On the other hand, if you cannot afford the C70, then I would suggest waiting to see what the VW Eos has to offer. I believe that Pontiac did not do there homework on this car.

G6 Hardtop negatives in comparison with the C70:
    - Seatbelt design always crosses the path of entry/exit
    from the back seats
    - Trunk has no space (will not even open) when the roof is
    down
    - Trunk has serious space limitations with the roof up.
    - No roll bars to protect the back seat occupants
    - There are many more creature comforts in the C70 but all
    of those are personal preferences and not definitive
    negative facts