Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 41,928
    I am against the automatic parking feature. The camera is good as it will probably prevent some frazzled suburban drone from backing over a kid.

I am sometimes annoyed by the parking sensors - they go to full alarm much further from the obstacle than I prefer. I sometimes need to be within a couple inches.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    I am against the automatic parking feature

I'm not, people can NOT drive around here! :D
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,600
    Tight back seat leg room, even for its class, is probably the ATS's biggest deficit.
    You know who nailed space efficiency? Nissan. The Sentra feels like a large sedan.

Hopefully they do a sleeper SE-R like the 90-93 models. They haven't been as fun since.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,600
    Sure, the Sentra is roomy, but falls behind the competition in performance and the fun-to-drive factor, according to reviews I've read. Not too inspiring. A SE-R version might correct these deficiencies, while, hopefully, not adding too much to the cost and decreased MPG.
    half the $16 million will go to a gang reduction program and the other half will be used to pay the costs of the case and the pursuit of future economic crime cases.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130406/AUTO0104/304060324#ixzz2Pz1S43hK

Lawyers only got half? How can they possibly afford the next yacht payment? ;)
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    Can anyone identify the make/model of this vehicle. Best guess so far is a Toyota Highlander...moves so fast it's hard to tell.

Toyota on the move
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 399
    So they ate going to use some of it to pursue themselves? ( economic crimes). Seriously what the Lawyers make is often out of proportion to the total of the settlement, maybe if it was reduced somehow ( I know not the American way) then they wouldn't be as eager to take on cases that have such little merit.
    I think that's a viral ad for Logitech cams. Seriously.
    pursue themselves? :D

Funny thing is, they'd figure out a way to do it and keep that money.
  • scwmcanscwmcan Niagara, CanadaPosts: 399
    Your right they certainly would
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,277
    "Asian Brands Dominate Ward’s 10 Best Interiors "

Acura RDX
    Cadillac XTS
    Chevrolet Spark
    Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
    Kia Forte
    Lexus GS 450h
    Mazda6
    Nissan Pathfinder
    Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
    Toyota Avalon

There was a lot of attention around the Avalon at NYC so I'm not surprised. The Lexus is nice but I found it to be too mish mash of shapes and styles with a ton of BMW influence. It too had it's share of attention but not as much as the Avalon...
    Lexus and Caddy were shoe-ins for the foot plus screens alone.

I bet the new S class will one-up them.
    Looks like a few people disagree with those choices.

I still love the textured metal available in the GS, but virtually all wood is kind of boring.
    People disagree with everything. Opinions are like...well, never mind. ;)

I was watching one of those factory shows on NatGeo, and I think it was Rolls that matched the maple so that it was symmetrical from the center. The pains they go through to make it look perfect are amazing.

Of course the price has to be justified in some way.
    Autoblog reports runaway Highlander was user error - no surprise, as the vehicle seems to attract an oblivious demographic.
    edited April 2013
    The real story is some people thought that was the car's fault.

Stops in the middle of the road before it all, honks to remind videographer to roll tape for the inevitable lawsuit, doesn't signal, no brakes, ever, then goes back and forth several times as if to prove a point. Driver never even turns the steering wheel. Probably about 8-9 errors made by the driver by my count.

And people still blame the vehicle. :sick:
    I like the no signal bit, which probably speaks volumes about the driver, too. Definitely a case of panic. The end of it might have even had some intent, to make it look crazier. I hope the insurance puts up a fight if the driver pulls any tricks.

In other Toyota news...a friend of mine works for local city government, they have a fleet of Prius for errands. He usually drives an 07 model with about 50K miles on it. The entire display just died.
    I'd toss a Garmin in front the steering wheel and ignore it.

No display should be way over in the mother-in-law's view anyway. :D
  • berriberri Posts: 7,749
    edited April 2013
    The real story is some people thought that was the car's fault.

From a marketing perspective, the real story is people are still associating Toyota with UA. It can be hard to shake perception - it took Audi how many years?
    He was concerned with mileage and range - which was now unknown. Not a cool fault, I guess even perfect Toyolex can have issues (sometimes some interesting complaints on their fb page too)
    It killed Audi.

They're back from the dead now, probably starting the resurrection with the 1997 Audi A4.
    No car is fault-free, a buyer who expects that is naive at best. They're more durable than average, though, that's for sure. CR tested a 10 year old Prius and it ran like new.

With 3 million of those on the road I'm sure plenty of 'em will break, though. Law of Large Numbers.

The problem could be the expectation created for a car to be perfect. No such thing.

Have you ever been a passenger in a car, where the owner says their car is fine, yet you notice 3-4 things wrong with it? Happens to me all the time. I get out and say "BTW you have a rattle in the cargo area and the left rear wheel bearing is noisy and your alignment is off". :D
    edited April 2013
    Found it, 10+ years and over 200,000 miles:

http://youtu.be/8DRQEusvNis

Mileage did drop from 44mpg to "just" 42mpg. :D

With a car that age, how it was taken care of is probably the biggest single factor. My sister-in-law trashes cars, they don't last 60k. I wouldn't buy a used care from her no matter the miles.
    I think only car nuts expect perfection. I've taken my car in for an odd noise (my theory is expanding plastic), and they look at me like I am crazy, and I think now run and hide when they see me coming. Still, cluster failure is uncool. I wonder if they could get a goodwill replacement or at least price break on the repair.
    edited April 2013
    You said MY07 IIRC, so that's 7 years or so now. Wonder if it would be part of the emissions system (covered for 10 years) since it coaches your driving? Probably not.

Standard warranty is 3/36 so more than double the length. I think a price break is the most he can hope for.

Else why would they sell extended warranties? For peanuts, too. I shopped for the Sienna and they were under $800 for a 7/100 B2B warranty. I actually did not get it. Most of the complaints were for run-flat tires and my model doesn't have them.

Here's the funny thing - go price a similar warranty on a Hyundai. They cost a fortune, even with the factory powertrain warranty.

It's all about market pricing. The public sees Toyotas as bullet proof, hence the warranty is uber cheap.
    Could have been built through what, maybe June of 07, so it might not even be 6 yet.

It's a city owned car - not my friend's personal car (he has a Prius C which he loves and hates), so they will probably pay 2x retail to fix it.

I paid ~$2500 for 4 years extra warranty when I bought my E55. I came out ahead in the end.
    I haven't spent a dime on repairs (rodents ate some wiring but that doesn't count, would not have been covered). I would have had a year left but she's solid, so I think I made the right call.

Wife has one on the Forester but hasn't used it. We usually sell at 99,000 miles with warranty left, buyers love that. I paid with Chase Subaru rewards so $0 out of pocket.

City fleet and it's not retired yet? I bet that ends up at auction dirt cheap.
    I am sure the city will do whatever is least efficient, the "it's not my money" line of thought.

My mother bought an extended warranty on her Camry, I told her she probably will never use it, but she still had bad memories of a troublesome Taurus I guess. It didn't cost much.
  • berriberri Posts: 7,749
    edited April 2013
    I know some dealers make a killing off of overpriced extended warranties. But I wonder if Toyota may not be smarter - I'd think it's easier to sell an extended warranty closer to a grand than two grand? It's not just profit margin, but also turns. If a Toyota dealer sells three times more $1K warranties than another brand dealer does at $2K, the Toyota dealer probably ends up better off at the end of the year. If the Toyota dealer sells only twice as many, financially I guess it's a break even if warranty actual dealer cost is similar. But, if a customer has a problem covered under one of those warranties and the dealer treats them right, there is likely some customer satisfaction and goodwill gained also that might affect a future purchase decision. I'd think all of this adds to the Toyota quality perception?