Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord (2003-2007) Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    As stated in an earlier post, I have a little maintenance work due, and I plan to have it looked at then. Thanks for taking the time to reply! :)
  • A honda tech I know personally told me that the stock Michelins he sees are exibiting excessive premature sidewall dry rot and cracking, including my own. Im pretty satified with my 45k lifespan and am ready to replace, but without my concern for the newly noticed cracking,my treadwear would allow 60K+. Heads up.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,602
    I had Michelins on a car that had nearly 90K on them and 5-6 years of age and they started showing a fine cracking on the outer layer and between the treads which were worn down to 20% left above the wear bars--not worn out. I'd noticed they didn't seem to grip and the rubber itself was hardened.

A fellow parent in our scout troop works at an area tire and mechanical repair store. They sell Michelin. He looked at them and said it's not dry rot. He said it was just age and the rubber tends to harden and then crack.

Go to a quality Michelin store to have them looked at. Make it clear you don't plan to replace them immediate and would hope they wear longer safely. And that you'd remember them when it is time to replace the tires.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• not yet tried with other fob key, do you think this can help me out?

I will try and let u know.

thank you for your response.
  • I agree, its not normal, but these are not dealer guidlines; it is HONDA CANADA that has this spec. Furthermore, Toyota and Nissan adhere to the same guidline: if it burns 1liter or less of oil every 1500kms, its OK. Unbelievable, but true.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    No, it's not dry-rot, but the tires look bad, and old way before their time. My Michelins were replaced early (42k miles), mainly because of road damage. The MXV4's don't seem to be very durable. Two of them needed replacing because one was damaged (bulge) by a small pot-hole, and a semi-sharp rock punctured the other :confuse: . I replaced all 4 with Bridgestone Turanza LS tires, and at 10k miles they seem to be much better, so far.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    3 sets on 3 accords. 45-48k is what they last.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    My Michelins had plenty of tread left on them at 42k miles, but they looked like they were twenty years old (cracks), one had a plug in it, and soon after another one had a bulge in the sidewall. The same Michelin MXV4 tires were on my 92 Accord, and they were no better. The Turanza's are heavier, so they take away 1-2 mpg, but they have thicker sidewalls, and are more durable IMO.
  • chucko3chucko3 Posts: 793
    Here's the OEM tires for my 03EXV6, Energy MXV4 S8.
    http://www.michelinman.com/tires/luxury-performance-touring/energy-mxv4-s8/#size- - - s-and-specifications

I replaced the tires after 48K miles last November.
    The tires still had about 5K miles left. There weren't many cracks
    on the sidewalls. Probably I armored all them once a month during
    the summer.

Here are my new Primacy MXV4s:
    http://www.michelinman.com/tires/luxury-performance-touring/primacy-mxv4/#sizes-- - - and-specifications

The load index is higher than the OEM tires. Like your Turanza's,
    these tires are heavier and have thicker sidewalls than the OEMs. Will lose about couple MPGs and some acceleration. But man, I have to say these
    tires handle much much better in snow & wet road than the OEM
    tires.
    Got them at BJs for $720 tax included after $50 coupon.
    Life time balance & rotation, and road hazard insurance also
    included.

Unlike the OEM tires, these MXV4s carry 60K mile treadwear.
  • Yeah, those guidelines make no sense to me whatsoever!!! I know if my 06 Accord in 2 or 3 years burns anywhere near 1 liter of oil/1500 kms I'll be really pissed(in fact, I'll be pissed if it EVER happens) and will never consider Honda again if it's not resolved by the dealer(especially if I had the extended warranty). I really feel your dealer should've taken care of this problem for you since you bought the factory extended warranty. Anyway, regardless of what your dealer says, hopefully you can find out what the problem is and get it fixed soon.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    My accords were 90,95,and my 02. My tires didn't crack they were just "done". My comfort treads also cost me 1-2 mpg. Honda specs the Michelins for the higher mpg ratings,I think. Good Daytona 500,wasn't it.
  • mamamia2mamamia2 ChicagoPosts: 707
    There are some questions to be asked here, before you make a decision:

How long she's planning to keep the car.

How much is the EW to cost.

Those little-driven cars are not necessarily the best in shape.... And age is also an issue....

Me, personally, if I was planning to keep the car for another 5-7 years, and the EW cost up to $1,000 (with no deductible) I would seriously consider it......
  • My wife's '03 EX 4 cyl has 116,000 miles. The only thing I've done to it besides routine maintenance was change an O2 sensor. Chances are the EW will cost a lot more than anything you'll have to do to it, but there're always exceptions. I'd skip it, but it depends on your aversion to risk.
  • twildtwild Posts: 5
    I need to remove my radio and disc player to trace down a short. Do anyone have steps to accomplish this task??? My car is a 2004 Accord
  • It's my understanding that the little white stickers with bar codes and VIN numbers that you find on various panels of an Accord, such as inside the hood, trunk, door frames, etc., are OEM and indicate OEM parts. Thus, if you're looking to buy a used Accord, panels missing those stickers would be replacements and might indicate the car had been in a collision. Anyone know if this is true?

I'm trying to advise my son on some used cars he's looking at. Anyone know if this applies to Acuras also?

Thanks.
  • As a retired trooper we were instructed these VIN markings are an excellent way to identify stolen parts. They well may also be used for the OEM replacement.
  • ar39ar39 Posts: 61
    What if the parts are original but, the stickers had been peeled-off or fallen-off due to contamination? I would inspect the vulnerable parts for paint shade mismatch, mis-alignment, gaps between adjoining parts & condition. If you trust a mechanic, use his services to make a decision.

Good luck!
  • Haha. I finally figured out what you are talking about(took me a while)..... My car does exactly the same thing, ie the tachometer does jump to around 1200 and dip under 1000 in rpm after selecting 'R' from another gear. I paid attention to this in different weather conditions, and it seems to do it not matter how cold or hot it is. I thought you were describing the more obvious rpm changes that take place when the engine warms up in the cold weather. That is also true. But has nothing to do with what you are describing. This is indeed weird if you ask me.

OK, so I think it's a normal trait of the Accord 4cy transmission and there should be no problem with our cars(either that or we both got a lemon :P). Any other owner bother to weigh in? thegraduate, tankbeans, austinman or anyone with 7Gen 4cy? :)
  • Hi everyone, I have a 2005 LX coupe with an auto tranny and almost 65K miles. I'm starting to notice a wobble or shake while accelerating but only between 60 and 70 mph. I had my tires rotated and balanced, but it's still doing it. I also had my brakes and rotors done at 60K. Anyone else experience this? Any advice?