Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying American Cars What Does It Mean?

Comments

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 9,661
    edited August 2011
    My Audi A3 was built and assembled in Germany, but when I went to the dealer for service under Audi's old (used to be included in the price) maintenance program, yes, they'd always give me a loaner even if it was just an oil change (which was $99.95 with the coupon after the 50K maintenance interval).

That being said, I keep my money in America by getting my service done by an Audi dealer located in the USA! :blush: All my oil changes have been done in CA! :P So my money is staying in the USA despite a German built car.

Afterall, I could ship it to Germany to have service performed by more skilled hands! :shades: ;)
    Toy '16 Audi TTS quattro AWD, Commuter '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6 Turbo FWD, Wife's '17 VW Golf All-Track SE 4-Motion AWD
  • lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,294
    I dunno. My Cadillac dealer always provides me with a Cadillac loaner when I have my car in for service, even minor stuff like oil changes and state inspections. Got to drive a new CTS the last time. Had an SRX another time.
  • dieselonedieselone Posts: 5,727
    My Cadillac dealer always provides me with a Cadillac loaner when I have my car in for service, even minor stuff like oil changes and state inspections.

I consider Cadillac a premium brand and would expect better service. I haven't purchased a new vehicle since '01. My Expedition was one year old when I purchased it from a Chevy/Cadillac dealer. They gave me a coupon for one free loaner. I'd imagine if I bought a new Escalade instead of a lowly 1 year old Ford, I would be provided with a loaner when needed.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,054
    A few months ago, for whatever reason, the Nissan dealer gave my buddy with the Xterra an Altima as a loaner. I don't think it's something they'd normally do, but this time, the maintenance he was having done might have taken longer than they were expecting, or something, so they offered it to him.

I remember years ago, my uncle had his '97 Silverado at the dealer for some repairs, and he was lucky to get them to send a shuttle to come pick him up! One time they took so long he ended up calling them up, cussing them out, and then having me take him down there to get his truck!
  • fintailfintail Posts: 43,325
    Local Caddy dealer always has several Enterprise specials sitting on his back lot, I assume as loaners. All of the other highlines around here have loaner fleets - usual suspects (3er, C, ES/HS etc)
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 10,692
    Best service I ever received was at BMW dealer.

When new software became available for the automatic in my X3, I made an appointment at my local dealer to have the upgrade installed. It turned out BMW NA was dragging their feet regarding putting the re-flash online, so my service adviser gave me a new X3 3.0si Sport for the weekend and overnighted the ECU to Woodcliff Lake to get it re-flashed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2009 Cooper Clubman Son's: 2009 328i

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 9,942
    Several times over the years I received loaners from Montrose Chevy in Kent, OH (now gone). Even for basic stuff. It got to where I'd tell them I didn't need one, as the dealer was only one mile from my house (as was almost always the case with any Chevy dealer back then!)
    That being said, I keep my money in America by getting my service done by an Audi dealer located in the USA! All my oil changes have been done in CA! So my money is staying in the USA despite a German built car.

Keep telling yourself that. They're all great folks over there. That's what I used to hear from all the guys up and down our street who fought 'em.
    I hear you talking about the Altima all the time. Did you get a chance to drive it? If so, what did you think?
    Either I have a great dealer or I'm privileged. No "Enterprise Specials" for me!
    My brother had an 08 Altima 2.5SL. It was a good car. The 4 cylinder was a bit buzzy, but it performed and drove well (IMO). The Altima has aged well, but it certainly wouldn't be my first pick anymore.
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 23,054
    I hear you talking about the Altima all the time. Did you get a chance to drive it? If so, what did you think?

I liked it, but didn't fall in love with it. I didn't have a chance to drive it, but did ride around in it some. I'd still consider one, but not enough to just go out and blindly buy one without testing the competition.

I do like it a bit better than the Malibu, mainly because it feels a bit roomier inside, and the base engine is more powerful. I'll be curious to see how the 2013 Malibu compares.

Cars for the most part have gotten good enough though, that I don't think there's really a loser in this class. I'm even impressed with how Chrysler was able to turn it around when they took the sow's ear Sebring and turned it into the 200. Maybe it's not quite a silk purse, but considering what they had to work with, I'm still impressed.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 43,325
    The local dealer doesn't appear to be very competent - lost a lease on a longtime location that is now sitting abandoned, now sharing space with a Hummer dealer, ugly faux Quonset hut style building and all, fairly small inventory.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,626
    It turned out BMW NA was dragging their feet regarding putting the re-flash online, so my service adviser gave me a new X3 3.0si Sport for the weekend and overnighted the ECU to Woodcliff Lake to get it re-flashed.

That's what I'm talkin' about. Many levels up from good ole' GM.

Regards,
    OW
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,626
    Well, GMC over here in Freehold has 2 or 3 loaners but because there are many service customers, none are ever available. Guess it depends on the level of volume.

BMW over in Eatontown, NJ has a fleet of 15 or so loaners....all new cars they then resell as Certified.

Regards,
    OW
    edited September 2011
    I do like it a bit better than the Malibu, mainly because it feels a bit roomier inside, and the base engine is more powerful.

I'd agree. The Altima's base powertrain performs very well. With the CVT I found it to feel peppier than most 4cyl sedans I've driven. Overall it's a very competent car.

My guess is the 2013 Malibu will be very competitive with the base engine and less so with the optional turbo. I think they are using the DI ecotec with nearly 190hp for the base engine. That will certainly be competitive. The 220Hp turbo will be on the low side (will be competitive torque wise) of what the top offerings are in other sedans. Toyota is keeping the 3.5 V6 in the Camry and it is rated for better mileage than the turbo regal (i used the regal due to similar platform and powertrains to the new Malibu). But in reality, the volume in this segment is with 4cylinders so, the Malibu should be in good shape.
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    I was with the guys having coffee this mornin' and someone asked me to check Fords' stock. I think it was around ten bucks.Then I notice that Gm's Cruise outsold fords Focus and is the hottest seller .
    Then,when someone said they wouldn't buy a Cruise because it's built in Canada. I said what's the diference.? They screamed jobs.
    Now Ford builds the Focus in Mexico I think.So they want to know Fords price? Also, they are all republicans and still harp on the unions still ruining the car industry in the states.Ya can't win.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,602
    >they wouldn't buy a Cruise because it's built in Canada.

Unless Canada is a suburb of Lordstown, Ohio, I think they are wrong. Cruze is built in Lordstown. Very well so, thank you.

>asked me to check Fords' stock. I think it was around ten bucks.

I hope they aren't try to compare the merit and value of a company based on the common stock price per share.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

I'm not a Ford buff, but I believe the Focus is built in Michigan unless that changed with this last iteration. As has been well-noted here before, the Fusion is made in Mexico.

The Cruze has only been built in Lordstown, forty miles from here, as long as it's been built.
    I do believe the Focus is made in Michigan.