Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently purchased a new car and bought additional products (warranty, maintenance packages, anti-theft systems, etc.) as part of the F&I process that you weren't originally planning to buy? If so, a reporter is interested in speaking with you about your F&I experience. Please reach out to [email protected] by Wednesday, March 27 with your story and the Edmunds PR team may connect you with the journalist.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Welcome Toyota Tundra - V

1131415161719»

Comments

• obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    figured that comment I made about snobby dealers would elicit a response from you...but what about the potential customers that refuses to enter another Toyota dealership because of previous experiences...people tend to stereotype after awhile.
  • tinindianatinindiana Posts: 46
    Can someone explain exactly what the limited slip is used for? I'm looking at the 4 x 2 Tundra and the only towing I would be doing would be a 3,000 lb. boat. Would I need limited slip? Your assistance is appreciated.
  • trucksrmetrucksrme Posts: 381
    That locker rear be good for when that boat ramp be all slick from the water, and that one drivin tire be a slippin and sliddin tryin too get that boat up an out now. Good luck on this one now!
  • docralphodocralpho Posts: 50
    Lacking a limited slip differential a so-called "two-wheel drive" vehicle really has only one driving wheel. If that wheel loses traction and spins, the wheel on the opposite side will not drive the vehicle, and the vehicle will not move--that is, will become immobile or stopped. With a limited slip feature, in the same situation, some energy will be transferred to the wheel opposite the spinning wheel, and that opposite wheel can drive the vehicle and move it in the direction intended (forward or reverse). Thus a 2 wheel drive vehicle with limited slip feature has potentially 2 driving wheels which is similar to a "four wheel drive" vehicle without limited slip (that really has only 2 driving wheels, too). The four wheel drive vehicle does have the advantage that the two driving wheels are placed with one on the front end and the other on the rear end. Thus the chances of losing traction in both those locations is less, and the vehicle continues to move. A two-wheel drive vehicle with limited slip has the two driving wheels on the axle with the differential--either both on the front or on the rear axles. Chance for losing traction on both these wheels is greater, and thus the 2 wheel drive vehicle with limited slip is not quite as effective as a four wheel drive machine.
    Hope this helps some. See also:
    http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/faqs/diffs.html
  • meredithmeredith Posts: 577
    For purposes of efficiency....

this topic has been "frozen." Please continue these discussions in Topic 1933 Welcome Toyota Tunda - VI. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
This discussion has been closed.