Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future Chevrolet Camaro

Comments

• fordenvyfordenvy Posts: 72
    They unveiled the new Camaro way to early before release the hype is diminishing and their sales will be average, mostly to Camaro enthusiasts. For the Pony the re-engineering of it isn't until 2009, thats too long tarnishing the name into Ford Unquality Moves.
  • casullcasull Posts: 17
    "So do I. Why offer the same engine as the Impala SS, Monte SS, and the soon to be sold Buick LaCrosse Super? Set the regular Camaro apart with the more powerful LS2, and offer the LS7 in an SS model (with the Corvette GM's permission)."

300HP is likely to be around the power produced by the entry level V-6, so the V-8 will certainly be substantially more powerful. Moreover, the LS2 and LS7 will be discontinued by the time the Camaro come around. There will more than likey be some variation of the 6.2L (either the L92 or the LS3) as the V-8 with the possibility of somewhere around 420 - 450HP. I don't think the Camaro will have to worry about differentiating itself in the power department.

"They unveiled the new Camaro way to early before release the hype is diminishing and their sales will be average, mostly to Camaro enthusiasts. For the Pony the re-engineering of it isn't until 2009, thats too long tarnishing the name into Ford Unquality Moves."

The hype is diminishing? How exactly are you gauging the so-called hype? Actually, I would argue that the majority of the people who will end up purchasing this car are not even aware that it is in the works. The only people who are aware that a 5th gen Camaro even exists are the enthusiests, and their "hype" will certainly not die over the course of 1.5 years.
  • eliaselias Posts: 2,147
    i owned bunches of Z28s, from age 21 to age 40, maybe because i never got to own one as a teenager. the mid-1980s models fit with walterquint's assessment. but especially the later 4th-gens were great cars - assembled just fine - no rattles. as for the plastic interiors, i prefer those. i hate to see $ wasted on fake woodgrain or fake chrome nonsense either inside or outside the car. i prefer non-leather seats too.
    i often regret trading away my Y2K hurst/Z28 and ending up with pontiac GTO (which looks like AMC pacer, except even uglier), although i do appreciate the better ride/suspension/seats/interior of the GTO.
    i will definitely be considering the "fifth-gen" camaro. (maybe it won't really be a fifth-gen since it is not an f-body). also i'll be looking at the Pontiac G8.
  • maudit87maudit87 Posts: 20
    (Qouting the only automatic comment in the begining of the thread, thought I qouted it right.)

Putting only automatic models of a sports car would be a bad move. I think it would drastically kill sales.

Don't know if anyone corrected this, but this is straight out of Muscle Car Milestones:

Specifications - 2009 Chevrolet Camaro SS

(I'm just going to the list the engine specs)
    Engine Type - Aluminum V8
    Displacment - 6.0L
    Horsepower - 400 with Active Fuel Management
    Tranmission - T-10 Six Speed Manual
    Suspenion - MacPherson strut front, multilink rear, progressive rate coil springs

(paraphraseing)
    The Article on this car also says, production will ramp up at the end of 2008 and go on sale in the first quater of 2009.

The Z28 is gonna feature an LS4 5.3L V8 (the SS is an LS2) would probaly put out around 340hp. (if they are actualy doing a Z28, I believe this is speculation)

To sucessfuly compete with the Mustang they have to sell 100,000 annually.

I forget where, but it does say somewhere in the article that the engine is the base Corvette engine.

Sorry if this has already been stated, but my brain went numb after I read that.

But I think were looking at 26k to 30k priceing. Aside from porformance, I think the Camaro could compete with the Stang on looks alone. Looks sell most cars.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    "Don't know if anyone corrected this, but this is straight out of Muscle Car Milestones:"

What in the heck is "Muscle Car Milestones"?

Where did you see info regarding the Z28 (with the LS4 5.3l) and the SS (with the LS2 6.0l)?
    Its a series of mags(milestones series) presented by Old Car Trader.

The one I picked up and am qouting out of is Musclecar Milestones.

It features information on the new Camaro, Challenger and the GT-500, among older muscle cars. It's in a section talking about the engine in the Camaro towards the end of the article.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    You mention active fuel management for the LS2. Do you think it's a foregone conclusion that AFM (aka DOD) will be implemented in all GM V8 engines? BTW, I thought I read somewhere the Corvette SS will be getting the LS9 engine, which will generate 650 HP!! That's close to NASCAR power.
    I'm not sure. It would make sense. It said that the '09 Camaro can get 30 miles to the gallon and tear up a drag when needed, so why not put it in all the V8s makeing them an acttractive buy, especially with gas going up over the summer supposedly. I think it would be a good move.

Yup, something like that. I'll post the info on that when I get home, but it comes at a price; Because the car is gonna be so powerful, they're considering makeing buyers take a driveing class before purchaseing the vehicle. Which is responsiable, but could also detur people from buying it cause of the hassle. That would just cause people to buy the non-ss model, and throw some aftermarket stuff in and they'll be going faster then the SSs. The only reason someone would buy the SS is if they really like the difference in the body styling. Which I think is kinda sexy, better then the bland bodies they got on em now. I dunno. I'll post where I read it when I get home with more qoutes.
    link title

There you go, that's where I read about the driving class.

Also, you wanna see a serious Vette? Front reminds me of a Aston Martin.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    I came across this video the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqqpiPr3LFE&mode=related&search=

Has anyone ever heard a sweeter sounding engine?
    First of all, any information appearing in ANY automotive magazine regarding the new corvette (sting ray, SS, Z07, whatever the designation du jour is) or the 2009 Camaro is pure speculation. NO ONE knows for sure what the specifications of either car will be (let alone the "requirements" to purchase one). I can quote you several magazines that have supposed "information" on the new Camaro and they will all three be different.

The specifications you quoted earlier sound like they just copied the specifications from the concept assuming it would be the same in the production version. Although i wouldn't rule out a 350ish hp entry level V-8, I HIGHLY doubt we will see any iteration of the LS2 by 2009 as this is supposed to be the last year for it.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,964
    I suppose it is at least possible that the 2009 Camaro might utilize ( something close to ) the 2 drivetrains already announced by GM for the RWD 2008 Pontiac G8.

The G8, according to Mr. Lutz, is to sell against the DC 300C & friends – strongly suggesting a base in the low 30s for the V8 version.

That’s with the L76 ( with DoD renamed: AFM ) version of the 6.0L V8 and 362 \ 391 ratings for HP \ TQ ( on regular gas ) – and GM’s 6L80 six speed automatic w/manual shift capability.

** IF ** such a drivetrain is available early next year in the G8, and GM \ Pontiac does indeed price it against the 300C ( it looks to me like the 5.7L Hemi V8 currently starts at MSRP $35.5K – but is selling at more like $32.5K )

The 4.6L \ 300 HP Mustang GT, with only option = 5 speed automatic, MSRP is currently near $27K & selling for near $26K. From what I have see, the top performance Camaro appears more likely to be designed to slot in just below or as direct competition for something like the Ford Shelby GT ( Mustang )

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0704_2007_ford_shelby_gt

This price level, I think, would allow for that 362 HP V8 and the six speed automatic ( or 6 speed manual ) to be a driveline choice.

I could be wrong. ( Ask my ex-wife. )

I hope I am not.

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Basically enjoying driving a GM vehicle currently, with 6.0L V8 and that 6 speed automatic trans.
    2016 BMW 340i
    "This price level, I think, would allow for that 362 HP V8 and the six speed automatic ( or 6 speed manual ) to be a driveline choice."

I think I see what you are trying to say. I guess that all depends on whether the LS3 will be any more expensive to produce than the L76. Since they are based on the same basic block architecture, my assumption is that the LS3 will not be much more expensive than the L76, so it wouldn't make much sense to offer both unless you artifically inflate the cost of the LS3 based Camaro.

I don't think GM needs to keep the power ratings close to the Mustang for any reason. If there is a 50-100 hp difference between the Camaro V8 and the Mustang GT, then that is just a bigger buying incentive to choose Camaro instead of Mustang. Unless providing an L76 based powerplant would offer substantial benefits over the LS3 in other areas such as fuel costs or cheaper insurance rates (which I highly doubt it would) then I say just leave it out.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    I saw the new Camaro last week at the New York Auto Show. It was a beautiful convertible. I'm starting to save $$$ for it right now.
  • rorrrorr Posts: 3,630
    From the article:

"Lutz declared it's too late to stop the Camaro, but said "anything after that is questionable," apparently including Camaro derivatives and the Impala sedan."

So it appears from this that the Camaro is still a go. But if ever tighter fuel standards/CO2 standards are a big issue, will a BIG V8 still be the 'obvious' choice for a base V8?
    This whole thing is a load of crap IMO... It really throws a kink into everything. The whole situation is nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction tot he whole "global warming" craze as of late, and I guarantee you that it has more to do with Bush's intentions of cutting the middle east off of the cash cow that is America's addiction to oil.

Eitherway, I still think the LS3 will appear, but as for a base V8... the L76 is looking like a prime candidate.
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 299
    I've been following this Camaro discussion and it seems to emphasize the performance elements of the Camaro -how it compares with the Mustang, etc. I hope that -like the Mustang - a wide range of models are available. I want the smallest and most economical six and automatic. I want it to look like a sports car but want it to drive like my 2006 Impala. Comfort is more important to me than handling. My old 2001 Malibu rode like a Cadillac compared to the 2006 Toyota Solara convertible that I had the misfortune to own for a month until I could dump it. Stiff ride, lots of convertible flex, etc but loved by the car writers and most owners for some obscure reason. What I'm looking for in the Camaro is a sporty convertible that drives like an Impala LT2. I'm probably the Lone Ranger in this discussion group!
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    What would be the point? I mean I hope you aren't disappointed when the car is stiff, has a MT!

What you really want is a convertible STS or CTS!

:)

-mike
  • dispencer2dispencer2 Posts: 299
    I expect that the new Camaro will offer several different engines and suspensions just like the Mustang does. GM will have to tailor the car to different buyers just like Ford does. The old Camaro could have been ordered with a number of options from rental car austere to a performance model. I wouldn't mind a CTS convertible and will look at one when it comes out. If I was just interested in power I'd buy a used Ferrari. Plenty are available and it will beat anything produced by GM hands down.
This discussion has been closed.