-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

2012 Impreza Overcharged Battery - Explosion Risk?

jbravo777jbravo777 Member Posts: 2
edited September 2017 in Subaru
Hi Everyone,

I made the stupid mistake of leaving my (somewhat discharged) battery to charge for 3 hours at 15Amps. The charger showed 99% capacity, and I could hear a "boiling" sound coming from the battery.

I understand that the battery may be lost, but I am more worried about safety now. Is there still risk of explosion if I disconnected the charger? Is it safe to try and start the car, or will that cause the vapors inside the battery to explode?

I am really concerned, any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
JB

Comments

  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You should be OK unless you fried the battery.

    Batteries can explode violently if a spark get near one that is being charged or is making that "boiling"
    sound o let it sit for awhile and make sure you don't make a spark around it.

    If seen and heard this happen and it isn't pretty!
  • Options
    jbravo777jbravo777 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the very prompt and helpful answer!
  • Options
    jimguyjimguy Member Posts: 1
    HELLO EVERYONE....A VENTED BATTERY WITH CAPS....AS IT CHARGES...THE CHEMICAL REACTION PRODUCES VERY HIGHLY EXPLOSIVE & DANGEROUS BREATHING GAS ...HYDROGEN SULFIDE ....MANY NEW BATTERIES ARE " SEALED" WHILE THEY PRODUCE THE SAME GAS...IT IS NOT VENTED...ALWAYS SHUT YOUR CHARGER OFF...BEFORE DISCONNECTING ANY CHARGING CABLES...ANY TYPE BATTERY ...
Sign In or Register to comment.