Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• lemkolemko Philadelphia, PAPosts: 15,294
    I guess it all depends on their major. If a student majors in something like Classical Greek Mythology, he'd better get used to repeating the words, "Welcome to Wal~Mart!"
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,913
    I once told my co-workers at work that if I ever won the lottery I would show up in a pink Cadillac, in drag, smoking a cigar.

That's how they wold know I had won!
    edited September 2010
    Holy smoke! I bought my last two cars at Faulkner Cadillac and from the same salesman. Faulkner Cadillac is actually outside Philadelphia. It's on Street Road West off US Rte 1. They have a brand new facility that was just built a few years ago. My wife bought her LaCrosse from Faulkner Buick-Pontiac-GMC which is just east of the Cadillac franchise. Tell 'em Lemko sent ya!

The "sandwich" in question is a "cheesesteak." Pat's and Geno's near 9th and Passyunk in South Philly are the popular places to get a cheesesteak, but Jim's on 4th and South Street is pretty good. There's a little known place in the Northeast called Steve's Prince of Steaks on St. Vincent and Bustleton.

You also should treat yourself to a Philly hoagie, (known as a sub or a hero elsewhwere). I know of several great places for an authentic Philly hoagie. My favorite is Greenman's on Robbin's in the Northeast.
    Good thing my wife has similar taste in cars to myself. She loves Buicks and so do I. The way she talks about her LaCrosse, you'd think she was driving a Lexus or Mercedes.
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,335
    My FIL sold Caddys at Center City Cadillac in Philly until the place went under.

Nothing like a good old "who makes the best cheesesteaks in Philly debate....
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 6,712
    edited September 2010
    Nothing like a good old "who makes the best cheesesteaks in Philly debate....

Lemko mentioned some great places, but there is nothing wrong with Tony Lukes either. After you get a cheessteak, order a chicken cutlet with broccoli rabe and provolone!

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

You also should treat yourself to a Philly hoagie, (known as a sub or a hero elsewhwere).

Or crossover the bridge to South Jersey and get a real hoagie from Carmen's deli in Bellmawr! :P (tongue out emotorcon in case it doesn't show!)

We are spoiled silly when it comes to cheesesteaks and subs in these parts. Reasonably difficult to buy a bad pizza unless you're trying to do so.

One year i really do have to check out White House Subs in Atlantic city. You can see Atlantic city from my house, much like you can see Russia from Sarah Palin's house.... Actually you have to drive east a couple of miles to the bay bridge - look south from there (preferably when you're not the one driving) and AC is there clear as can be. I was surprised to see that you can see the AC skyline form the top of the Barnegat Lighthouse which is a good ten miles north of that bridge.
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
    Funny you mention White House, that place came up in a conversation recently. It was about how we have all been to AC tons of times and never been there.

Yes we are certainly spoiled, I have about 10 pizza stores within a mile radius and they are all great.

My oldest daughter is in AC a lot more than I ever am. (Unlike me she doesn't have "the old AC" to compare it to.

She's been to White House and considers it good but not legendary. one day I'll check for myself.

Hmm... I see Holly eats rates it five grease stains. I should check this out. (poke through the Holly Eats site - I rather like it.)
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,444
    edited September 2010
    If I were guessing, the lady probably changed her mind about the car before she even got there. Then, as you said, nit-picked it to death. I would have felt obligated to have bought it regardless of what the wife said... and gulp... lived with the consequences. A deal is a deal.

I test drove the Highlander about 6 years ago. It's a really nice midsize SUV. It didn't have the soft comfortable ride most Toyotas are known for, but could have had the tires over inflated. Also, the 3rd row seat was too small for human occupancy. A perfect 4 seater though.
    You could be right. Who knows?

For guys like you and me, "a deal is a deal" but for some people those words or even a handshake mean nothing.
  • jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,444
    My attention span is gone will post the last installment later but there was a problem looming

Good story and nicely played jayrider. Way to leave us hanging on by the seat of our pants... take your ritalin and get back to us asap. (wink eye)
    I just rode in a new Highlander on Saturday night. It was quiet with a very nice ride (better than my Genesis) and pretty roomy. Toyota's 2GR V6 is a pretty sweet engine as well (same as was in my 06 Avalon).. My mother also had an 05 V6 and was a very good vehicle, the new Highlander is a bit bigger and more powerful.

Fezo, that food site is pretty cool.

• crkeehncrkeehn Posts: 513
    It looks as though Jayrider has learned from the Mack school of posting. Let's hope he follows through with the rest of the story.

I'm sure that Mack is on his internet connection in heaven, chuckling over how well his disciple has done.
    Yep!

I miss Mackabee. He was a good person.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,608
    >He was a good person.

I found he was good beyond description. I couldn't have done what he went through with the grace with which he did it.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

I couldn't have either.

Toward the end, we exchanged several personal emails.

For me, it was like losing a good friend.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 12,152
    edited September 2010
    That story about the Acura not sold, just stuck a cord with me (not an Accord).
    I have a friend who is a very successful business person; very detail oriented, and can be a shark with a buck.
    He decided he wanted a nice few year old car of the brand Driver likes, as a grocery getter.
    Looked for several months, then found the perfect car.
    It was at a dealer that sold a different brand, but he got them to take it to an OEM dealer to get checked out to make sure everything was up to snuff.
    A couple things were fixed and it was all set for him to pick up, maybe 150 miles from where we live.
    After he gets it home, he is detailing it the next day (detail oriented in more than one way) and finds something wrong with the rear bumper.
    It didn't look right to him, so he crawls underneath and guess what? There is some damage under there.
    I stopped over to see the new ride and to be honest, I didn't know enough about that particular car to notice the flaw, but he did, and believe me he was not happy about it
    In honor of MACKABEE... to be continued.
    Actually, I am going to end it now. It took months to play out and that dealer was sorry they sold him that car.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    Just finished golf -- wife beat me bad and I'm pretty decent. Didn't know Mackabee but while teeing up on the 17th hole next to a cornfield heard a soft whispering from behind the stalks saying " Wait til tomorrow and they will read" Taking that advice.
This discussion has been closed.