Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 19,346
    Hobbies, yes but career choices couldn't be more different.

Thanks for getting back....glad it all worked out.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 11,318
    So you are back in the motherland driver?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Infiniti G37x Q40 AWD

So you are back in the motherland driver?

The motherland and the fatherland!

The land with no Chick-Fil-As.

I wonder if I can get a franchise. Every one of them was completely full an hour before and an hour after lunchtime.

Temperature here is around 32F. Last year we had a warm March. This year is more normal...meaning cold. Big mistake coming back so early. Will learn for next year. My wife is getting used to staying longer. I told her if she doesn't stay from early Nov until the first week of April I will have to have a Canadian wife and a Florida wife. That didn't go over too well....besides, I couldn't afford it.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 10,277
    edited March 2013
    It is a few years older, but I think that this Pepsi Max prank video is much funnier:

Uncle Drew

The setup is that NBA star Kyrie Irving has been made up to look like "Uncle Drew"- a senior citizen. The camera crew is on site filming a pick-up game, supposedly for a documentary on another player. When a player is "injured" Uncle Drew subs in...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2009 Cooper Clubman Son's: 2009 328i

• jmonroejmonroe Pittsburgh areaPosts: 7,407
    There are some bad drivers out there. The worst are the ones who;

1) weave in and out to get ahead. Some were even women which surprised me.

That doesn’t surprise me one bit. Come drive the PA pike like I do every day for about 40 miles round trip and you’ll see that on a regular basis. The women who drive the SUV’s are the worst offenders.

3) The one's who won't move out of the left lane. For some reason some people like to be in the left lane even if the other lanes are clear, or no matter what speed they drive at.

A little follow up on this thing with women SUV drivers on the PA pike.

About two years ago this SUV was in the left lane and wouldn’t move over. It was just getting dark as I was heading home and I had my lights on so I flashed them a few times but she stayed there in the left lane just cruising along at about the speed limit (65 MPH). Just about then, a semi moves over into the left lane behind me and sees that I flashed my lights so he flashes his and gives me a little toot of his horn. I move over and I’m thinking, ‘oh boy’. Sure enough he closed the gap and flashes his lights as he lays on his horn. Since I pretty much knew what was going to happen I laid back and it’s a good thing because she jerked her car so fast into the right lane I thought she was going to turn it over. In a little bit the semi moves over into the right lane. I’m almost expecting her to get into the left lane again but she doesn’t so I pass her. Then when I’m even with the cab of the semi he toots his horn a couple of times.

I know this could have led to an accident but I knew I had to get out of the way.

Sometimes you just need someone to clear the road for you.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis V8 with Ultimate Package and '12 Legacy Limited 6 cyl

• boomchekboomchek Vancouver, BC, CanadaPosts: 5,314
    Another great story. This is also one of the reasons I did not like to sell to family or friends.

When I worked at Dodge, I was selling my parents a new Dodge Ram. We picked one they liked, in stock, it was a Quad Cab (longer bed, shorter cabin, but still 4 door). I grinded my manager so that they can get a good deal but a day later, but before they took delivery, they changed their mind (actually mom did even though this was dad's work truck) and said they wanted the Crew Cab (still 4 door, but bigger back cabin, shorter bed).

We didn't have one in stock and had to locate one, change all the paperwork, it was more expensive now, had to redo the approval, and it didn't make sense for them as they never carry people in the back so the extra leg room in the back was pointless but the extra foot or so in bed length would make better sense for my dad and is work. My mom insisted on the change or she threatened to cancel the deal! This was after considerable work went into putting the numbers together, picking the truck, getting it ready, getting the approvals and paperwork ready (dad is self employed so it took a bit of effort there). I was shocked at my parents' irrational reasoning but spoke with my manager, got everything changed and finalized the deal. It was painful nevertheless but in the end they were happy.

I have manyh other stories of selling to friends, or family of friends, few good, and few bad ones too that I'll share another time.

Just on a side note, I'm not sure if I missed something with the math with your twin brother's deal.

If as you said his Porsche was worth $82,000 and his Audi A8 was worth $58,000 in wholesale value, meaning trade in value, you had $140,000 from both cars.

He wanted $150,000 for them so you really were $10,000 apart. Say even if you sold the new car at invoice you had an additional $5300 in there ($61200 minus $55,900), meaning you were about $4700 apart. Did I miss something or did you mis type?

2007 BMW 328i Sports Pkg

• gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    edited March 2013
    "These rich snobbish types always turn me off big time - and he and his wife were epitomes of that segment of our population who mistreat others because of the money and foibles they have in their safe deposit boxes."

Mike--

Don't know whether it was a freudian slip, but I think you meant "baubles" (showy trinkets of little value, but now often used to describe pearls and other fine jewelry), not foibles (shortcoming(s) in character or character flaws). Then again, given your decidedly uneven relationship with your twin the word foible may have been intentional. It's actually a much more entertaining sentence with foible since it implies that your brother and SIL are storing their character shortcomings away in a box, not displaying them at your one time place of employment.

Gogiboy
    Sure enough he closed the gap and flashes his lights as he lays on his horn.

lol......I was laughing as I thought of the image of that truck driver.

I was surprised in Georgia one little lady was driving her Civic at about 55 in a 70 zone in the passing lane...on a 3 lane stretch.

I saw the police lights flashing in my rear view mirror, I was wondering if it was for me but I would have been surprised if it was. He pulled up behind the lady and had to turn on his siren for a second to get her to pull over. They should watch for those people more often, they are seldom in an accident, but they cause them as other drivers have to get around them.

On my plate renewal there was a warning. Up to $500 fine for speaking on a cell phone. You are 4X more likely to be in an accident if you are talking on a cell phone.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,309
    >if I can get a franchise.

If you do, add the Carrot and raisin salad back onto the menu, please.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

If you do, add the Carrot and raisin salad back onto the menu, please.

I guess it was too healthy an item for a fast food place. I'll see what I can do though.

Even my wife was impressed with their food, the cleanliness of the premises and friendliness of the staff. She is not that impressed about fast food places, though she likes McDonalds coffee and now oatmeal.

• laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,095
    Two of my biggest driving pet peeves:

Tailgaters and left-lane squatters. Years ago, I believe it was Car and Driver who labelled them, "Left-Lane Bandits" for stealing the left lane away!

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 10,196
    "...get the f... Out!..."

Ha ha ha you are my hero! I wish I had the courage to tell some of my customers that!

2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van

"...Ugliest rear end..."

Those tail lights seem to be the new standard for Chevys. See similar on many models.

edited March 2013
    "...the motherland and the fatherland..."

Hey what's up with you rowdy Canadians? Last year there were riots in Vancouver and now this:

Brawl between Canada and Mexico clears benches at World Baseball Classic

by The Canadian Press on Saturday, March 9, 2013 7:56pm -

PHOENIX – It’s not often a hockey fight breaks out at a baseball game.

But that’s exactly what happened Saturday night when Canada faced Mexico in a crucial game at the World Baseball Classic tournament.

Tensions boiled over in the ninth inning of Canada’s 10-3 rout of Mexico after a Canadian player was hit by a pitch. The incident happened because the Mexicans were upset about Canada breaking an unwritten rule of baseball’s protocol guide: don’t rub it when you’ve got a big lead. But the rules of the World Baseball Classic mean that sometimes it’s necessary for teams to run up the score.

I think too many of you are spending excess time in Florida and becoming rednecks! :P

"...more likely to be in an accident if you are talking on a cell phone..."

Equal to drinking a six pack. :sick:

Told the niece when we began driving that I promised never to yell at her if she promised to never talk on her cell when driving...EVER.

So far, so good but she still carries it with her in the car. Last week it rang and her "personal" ring tone went off. It was some vulgar rap song with "f" this and "mofo" that. I was shocked. So much for my image of her as this sweet little thing. Typical teen.

• fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 10,330
    There was an item making the rounds on the news the other day about this woman in Maryland who was left lane camping. She and the reporting of the outrage that she got ticketed for doing 63 in a 65. Yo, lady! The ticket was not for the speed; it was for failure to keep right - a moving violation.
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999 Mazda Miata
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 10,277
    I sent a letter to NBC criticizing how the story was reported- but as I always say, the media never lets the facts get in the way of a good story...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2009 Cooper Clubman Son's: 2009 328i

Those tail lights seem to be the new standard for Chevys.

They seem to have fixed it up quite a bit on the 2013 model, someone must have caught on;

Tensions boiled over in the ninth inning of Canada’s 10-3 rout of Mexico after a Canadian player was hit by a pitch

Don't mess with seniors....and don't mess with Canadians!

I saw that fight on the news...the pitcher purposely threw the ball at the batter. Of course the rest of the team fought for their buddy.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,133
    edited March 2013
    Fezo....Thanks for relating that. It struck me..,,this lady is mad because she got a ticket for impeding traffic?

If you're afraid to drive on the interstate, stay home. Hope her ticket drives that home.

This lady needs remedial training!
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 21,309
    >sent a letter to NBC criticizing how the story was reported

LOL. If you can fix NBC's problems with how they report things, you'll get a gold star in my book. I believe NBC Progressive is now completely owned by Comcast. Comcast wouldn't even accept complaints about NBC Progressive's bias.

2015 Cruze 2LT, 2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT

• sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,984
    "Wow, I didn't realize there are so many cheapskates out there." "I have a buzzy head from all that driving."

If you weren't such a cheapskate, and spent an extra night on the road, you wouldn't have a buzzy head. :P

Richard
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 8,389
    Did I miss something or did you mis type?

No, you are correct. I was about $5000 away from what he wanted. Even if we were closer in numbers, I wouldn't sell that car to him (Infiniti M45 was the car he wanted) if he begged me. He ended up selling both cars privately and bought a Mercedes for him and his wife.

NYC: I was manager of an Infiniti dealership. He bought an LS430 from me when I was a salesman back in 2002. He was just as bad then - made my life miserable. I sold my Dad a Lexus in 2001, an M45 in 2005, and an M35 in 2006 - it was a 2007.

2017 BMW 740Li

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 8,389
    edited March 2013
    Don't know whether it was a freudian slip, but I think you meant "baubles" (showy trinkets of little value, but now often used to describe pearls and other fine jewelry)

Gogi, you might be right about that. My brother goes through wives like I go through cars. He may be getting married again - he bought his significant other a 2.5 carat diamond ring in December - she is a nurse. I don't think they have set a date though.

His first wife got 2 million from him as part of the divorce settlement. His second wife got 3 million from him. A drop in the bucket for him.

He drives a 2013 Mercedes bi-turbo CL. They go for about $135,000.

2017 BMW 740Li

I just don't know why my convertible and my wife can't get along. I've finally lost count of the incidents between these two---utility pole, stuck in the mud, dog poop, spilled ice tea, grocery cart, etc. I've always been able to repair/restore the rag top to its original beauty. This time I'm stuck. About a month ago, my wife parks the convertible at the church near some trees. She volunteers in the church office one morning a week. When she came out at lunch time, she discovered that the car was covered in bird crap. I have never seen such a mess in my life; it was everywhere! When she came home, I drove immediatley to the car wash. They did a nice job cleaning the car, but five stains were left on the black cloth top. The bird crap was white but the stains were sort of a gold color. A few days later I returned to the car wash. They tried to remove the stains without much luck. The stains are now white with some streaking around them. If any of you have any suggestions as to what to do, please let me know. As Houdini has said, I need to get rid of that car. In all of the cars that we have ever owned, I have never known my wife to have so many episodes of bad luck. Thank goodness there have been no incidents with the Caddy.

Richard
    If you weren't such a cheapskate, and spent an extra night on the road, you wouldn't have a buzzy head.

I know you are only joking, but it isn't the cost of an extra night in a hotel. It is the fact it is a hotel. I'd much rather be at home (either home), than be in a hotel room. A hotel room is like being in limbo......just a bed and a TV (a book and computer), but, at home you can at least wander from room to room. You can get a snack when you need want it. You have real chairs you can sit on. You have a bed you really like. Your home is comfortable because you made it the way you want it.

I was surprised, at least two of my Apollo Beach FL tennis snowbird friends drive 19 hours so they can be home the same day - one in Pennsylvania and one in Ohio. I am sure they don't want the expense of paying for a hotel, but, they are just on the borderline of; is it worth it to spend a wasted evening in a hotel room, or, if you drive for 4 more hours you could be back at home sweet home.

The next time that you need postage stamps, you might drop by the post office. They have a new series of Muscle Car stamps from the '60s. They're really cool. I bought a sheet of 20. My wife won't use them, but I do. :D

Richard
    I agree. I've done the same thing. The sweet vision of home enables you to keep going.

Richard
    The stains are now white with some streaking around them. If any of you have any suggestions as to what to do, please let me know.

I could suggest that you leave the car under the tree until the roof is completely coated, and then the new color may even out.

Unfortunately, when we came back home, my computer server, is very slow. I called yesterday, they tested the line, and they agree. They will send "a guy" out tomorrow to check it out. So, I am limited in what I can find out for you.
    Suggest, you google "how to remove bird dropping (or crap as you so elegantly put it Mr. B.A. in English) from a convertible roof.

I did get this one site that wasn't great, there may be better ones.
    Remove bird crap stains from a convertible roof

Good luck. Isn't that supposed to mean you are going to have good luck?
    Maybe, I see a new GM in your future...don't get the vinyl roof though.

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    Ask your car dealer who details their cars. Check to see what a professional can do with the stains. A total detail is around $120 ---- you will think you bought a new car -- well worth it.
This discussion has been closed.