Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 19,369
    Cruise terminal is located at 711 12th Ave. I'm guestimating 20-30 minutes from LGA (on a Sunday around noon)? Am I off?

GG, I checked what people say on tripadvisor about getting from the airport to the cruise terminal.

The time you estimated sounds about right, 20 to 30 minutes.

Then one guy said it is impossible to estimate because there are about 5 million people between those two points.

It sounds like you would be ok, but, the unknown is your flight...will it be on time, somedays airlines have about a 20% on time rate.

A few people said, be sure to have the exact address of where you are going. I would say also, those cruise terminals can be very large and confusing, it would help if they can show you a map of how to get to your exact docking area.

Smart idea getting a limo.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Fly into Newark on Saturday night, get a hotel for about $120 and then grab a cab to the terminal for about $80

Great idea!

• jipsterjipster Louisville, KentuckyPosts: 5,441
    Yeah jmonroe, we want the truth, the whole truth and nothing but... :mad:

Seriously though, why angry with dealership when no pay decision came from corporate?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,025
    That's an easy one - sometimes having a dealership on your side makes the difference. If they didn't stand up for jmonroe and help him fight, when they were the ones who saw the engine, then they really didn't do all they could to help him.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 10,285
    Exactly! jmonroe is mad at the dealer AND Hyundai- they both took the easy way out and screwed him...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2009 Cooper Clubman Son's: 2009 328i

edited May 2013
    How do you know the dealership didn't stand up for ole Jmonroe?

Maybe the dealership did all they could do. Not like they are going to tell Hyundai they'll stop selling their cars unless they give Monroe a new engine. Probably would have been nice for dealership to give a nice discount on a new engine to keep him as a customer.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 8,396
    Seriously though, why angry with dealership when no pay decision came from corporate?

A dealership has a tremendous amount of clout - especially a dealership that sells lots of cars each year. The dealership obviously did not "fight" for their customer (jmonroe). Even if corporate denied the claim, the dealership could do the repairs and necessary replacements at a minimal cost to the customer. I take jmonroe at his word - and his claim could have been approved with sufficient insistence by the dealership.

2017 BMW 740Li

Most dealerships will at least give the impression that they did all they could. Don't know about how much "clout" dealership has. They buy the manufacturers cars, they have do what they are told.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,140
    edited May 2013
    driver...well, it's the first flight out (at least to NYC) of the day and it's non-stop. So, there shouldn't be any problems with a connection being late, or waiting on a crew from another flight. Plane should be checked, fueled up and ready to go, too. First flight, on a Sunday, air traffic control shouldn't have any issues.

Once I get there, limo should be waiting on me. I'm taking two carry-ons, so baggage claim won't be an issue.

The one thing I can't control is the weather. But, I can check a day or two before to get at least a good guestimate on if that might cause a delay (if so, I'll take robr2's suggestion).

Thinking I'll roll the dice.
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
    edited May 2013
    How do you know the dealership didn't stand up for ole Jmonroe?

Because he mentioned it! I'm drawing on memory here, not guessing. While I'm not so hot at the first, I'm terrible at the second.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,603
    " thinking I'll roll the dice"

Based on everything you've said I would too.

I was talking recently to a Holland America manager (they are based in Seattle) and he told me that it's real common for a passenger to get stranded in a port town. They don't keep track of the time, get drunk in a local bar or whatever and the ship sails without them!

It's up to them to either meet the ship in it's next town or just go home at their expense.

From what he told me,this happens pretty often!
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 10,285
    A dealership has a tremendous amount of clout - especially a dealership that sells lots of cars each year.

Yep. Back in 1995 when I ordered my limited edition Club Sport you could only get three options: premium sound, limited-slip diff, and a sunroof. I only wanted the sound upgrade and the limited slip. My salesperson sent the order in and a couple of days later BMW AG informed her that ALL Club Sports were now going to be built with sunroofs(a mandatory $1200 "option"). I told my salesperson that I didn't want the car if I had to take the hole in the roof. Well, it turns out that in 1995 that dealer(and my salesperson in particular) sold the highest number of M cars in the United States. My salesperson got on the horn to Munich and-lo and behold-my car was built without a sunroof...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2009 Cooper Clubman Son's: 2009 328i

What about all the dealerships that don't have all this "clout"? What are they to do? My experience has been that manufacturer goodwill aint what it use to be for mainstream automobiles.
    Yep. Back in 1995 when I ordered my limited edition Club Sport you could only get three options: premium sound, limited-slip diff, and a sunroof. I only wanted the sound upgrade and the limited slip.

When I ordered my 2014 E 350 Sport Sedan, I ordered it with wood/leather sport steering wheel and AMG sport wheels (wheel pkg.). Mercedes changed the order because they will not build the car with both wood/leather steering wheel and AMG wheel pkg. we didn't know this until the car came in.

The dealership contacted mbusa and the wheels were added ($500 option) along with the sport steering wheel (flat bottom steering wheel in wood) at no charge to me. Luckily, AutoNation sells 12% of all the Mercedes vehicles sold in this country - they have lots of clout - which made one of their best customers very happy.

Dealers have clout, and large dealer organizations have even more clout. ;)

2017 BMW 740Li

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 6,413
    Thinking I'll roll the dice.

Late to the party here, but I think as long as you have no flight issues you will be fine. I've gone out of NYC twice it can get a little hectic around the terminal, but the limo should be able to drop you practically at the door. Like mentioned by the other guys, if you think weather will be an issue try and get into Newark the night before and stay there, much cheaper and easy to get car service. The terminal is a quick ride over the bridge from Jersey.

With as much a road warrior you are, I'm surprised you can't stay on points somewhere.

Are you on Breakaway to Bermuda? The wife and I were just thinking about a vacation this year even after saying we weren't. Let me know how you liked the ship. I've been on the Gem and really like NCL's product.

Everyone worried about seasickness, don't. If it gets rough Bonine will sooth you without any side effects. We were on the Gem during Hurricane Sandy and even with 40' waves we were OK.

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

tjc....I use my hotel points pretty regularly for weekend getaways. As such, the cupboard is baren of hotel points right now.

I am on the Breakaway.....brand spanking new ship. I think it just docked in NYC this week from its inaugural trip across the Atlantic from the shipyard.

We'll dock in Bermuda for 3 days, with another 4 days to get there and back from NYC.
    edited May 2013
    How's that clout? Mercedes sent the car without the wooden steering wheel, and your dealership put one on for you. As they should because that's what was promised to you. No clout on that.

Also, Mercedes is a tad bit more upscale than Hyundai if you haven't noticed. No realistic comparison on that.
    How's that clout? Mercedes sent the car without the wooden steering wheel...

Actually, without the AMG Sport wheels. I would think that if I ordered a Hyundai from Korea and it came in without an option that I ordered, I would expect Hyundai to remedy the problem as well. Or for that matter, Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, etc. And, I would also expect the dealer to expedite the correction with the manufacturer. I don't think I am expecting too much.

2017 BMW 740Li

It has been one week since that fellow took 2 guys out for a test drive in his 2007 Dodge Ram pickup truck. He placed an ad on Kijiji (like Craigslist) and Auto Trader.

He went with the 2 guys and he told his wife he would be back in a few minutes. That was last Monday evening.

This morning the police announced the missing man's body was found. People who know about this story will really think about how they sell things online.

I would think that if I ordered a Hyundai from Korea and it came in without an option that I ordered, I would expect Hyundai to remedy the problem

I think if it is in the contract the dealer better do something about it. Those changes on your car may have made it a losing proposition for the dealer, on what was a pretty skinny deal to begin with.

Did you get a flat bottom steering wheel? I love those things. Makes sense too, much more knee room I would think.

• robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,862
    edited May 2013
    Did you get a flat bottom steering wheel? I love those things. Makes sense too, much more knee room I would think.

Flat bottom steering wheels gives one about 1/2" of additional legroom. Adjusting the tilt 1 spot up will accomplish the same thing.

Unless one is driving a purpose built track car with a fixed wheel position, it really is for show. But it one likes the look, go for it.
    driver...I was hoping this wasn't going to be the end result of that story. Scary and weird world we live in sometimes.
    robr2...I've got a flat bottom steering wheel in the Audi. While I don't track any more, it's biggest advantage for me is knowing where the wheel's position is as you're turning. I can see if someone would need some extra knee/stomach room where it would be helpful, also.
    Adjusting the tilt 1 spot up will accomplish the same thing.

Tilt is very important to me...there are certain things that I really like to have in a car. Large windows, good sightlines, an actual hood to look at and give me an extra sense of protection, fenders that can be seen, seating position...high enough to see over the instrument panel easily, be able to see out the back window reasonably well - even with a camera, and the tilt of the wheel plus overall feel.

I don't like the steering wheel to high or I feel like I am driving a bus....same with no hood.

I was hoping this wasn't going to be the end result of that story.

I thought at one point it may have been a hoax. They reported the guy who helped the victim write the ad knew the one suspect they have arrested.

The fellow they have arrested (the other one is still free) inherited his fathers highly successful airplane maintenance business. He inherited lots of valuable property and is a respectable businessman. They found the missing truck in a trailer in one of his homes.

He was married just 3 years ago and was very religious. Wierd is right!
    We were hoping for the best, but, kind of thought this is how it would end.

• verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,284
    :-(

Based on what you said about the guy who got arrested, I wonder if there's more to the story? It almost sounds like they targeted the guy -- buying the truck was just an excuse.

Last time I sold something on Craigslists (movie,) I met the guy at a bank during business hours. I figured that offered me some protection.
    robr2...I've got a flat bottom steering wheel in the Audi. While I don't track any more...

This is the first time I have ever had a flat bottom steering wheel in a car. It does provide more leg room and adds a bit of luxury "feel" to driving. Also easier to enter and exit the car.

SURGERY

Got home at about 10:30 AM this morning. They used a nerve block for the shoulder which numbed it up to reduce post op pain. It is still numb. Haven't taken any pain meds yet. He removed three spurs and repaired three separate tears in the rotator cuff.

Doing fine right now - just waiting for the nerve block to wear off to see howuch pain meds I will need.

2017 BMW 740Li

edited May 2013
    That's a good plan. It's actually relatively simple to protect yourself. Meet in a well lit, well-trafficked area during the daytime, preferably a location that's likely to have security cameras on-site. A convenience store parking lot works.

We most recently met buyers at my storage center. Surveillance cameras everywhere, and you need a code to get in and out.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 11,328
    Mike

Glad you are home recovering and the surgery went well!

Have any of you Ohio guys dealt with Emery Federal Credit Union? Are they reputable?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Infiniti G37x Q40 AWD

I wonder if there's more to the story? It almost sounds like they targeted the guy -- buying the truck was just an excuse.

Very smart observation. The police will give out some information, but, they have to be careful because they don't want to blow this.

The guy they caught has now been charged.
    The victim was killed the first night.
    It may have been a robbery of the truck gone wrong, and they just killed him.
    One detective thinks the other suspect may have been killed by the remaining suspect.
    The suspect they have charged, is 27, has lots of money, a thriving business, owns property, and is known by the police.

Your theory is one they still think is possible. The victim seems to be a model citizen, hard working, religious, devoted family person etc.

Your theory comes into play because one person who helped the victim write the ad also knows the accused murderer. Though I have only heard that said once. The police have also said, although the victim is a perfect citizen, he may know someone who knows someone.

The other thing that maybe goes against that theory is that these guys wanted to test drive another similar truck a few nights earlier...making it seem that it could have been at random.

Between this one and the 3 young ladies in Cleveland the world is getting wierder...maybe I should start packing!

This discussion has been closed.