Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,670
    It's an EX. Not a huge fan of leather and 4WD. Without looking it up I don't remember what the residuals are on them.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,197
    jay...robr...maybe I am indeed playing the "smug" card. But, even at $47K-$48K the Equus doesn't interest me.

You can target any group of cars you want. That doesn't mean you actually compete with them. If I'm not willing to look at an Equus and cross shop it against an E350, A6 or 535, why on earth would I look at one if I'm cross shopping S Class, A8s or 6-7 series?

As Craig mentioned, it's a no brainer for me which brand I'd choose over the Hyundai. Matter of fact, for that mid-high $40s out the door price for an Equus, I'd buy a loaded up 328i, or a loaded Acura TL, even an Inifinit M37 (although I'm not really an Infiniti fan). With any of those cars, I'd know what I was getting and what to expect.

The Hyundai? Hearing jmonroe's stories about his Hyundais, all the handwringing over the Genesis about poor suspension (which tells me where the cost cutting took place), and my personal experiences in the Hyundai dealerships, I'd have to take a pass.

Again, when Lexus, Acura, and Infiniti hit the streets, we were all curious about how they would add their sterling quality, design, performance, longevity to the luxury class. We got our answer. They created a whole new market for the Japanese brands.

Hyundai is better off sticking to their bread and butter verticals, at least for the time being. My son's former Elantra, was reliable because of its simplicity. Up until the very end (nearing 150K miles on the odo) it needed a lot of work. But, some of the maintenance and repairs he could do himself. It was relatively simple. Not to say anyone's positive opinion of the Equus is off. They just won't get my money to buy one.

They're riding a bit of a wave with some of their bold designs. I still think it will be a decade or more, in addition to some investment by Hyundai marketers and dealers for much better infrastructure before they will make even a slight dent into the lux arena.
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 7,546
    edited August 2013
    I still think it will be a decade or more, in addition to some investment by Hyundai marketers and dealers for much better infrastructure before they will make even a slight dent into the lux arena.

I agree with the above. I also remember how doggedly Hyundai stuck to their guns and finally cracked the small car market market with many fine small cars and SUV'S.

Eventually I think that Hyundai will shake up the luxury car market just as Lexus did some 20 years ago...and that will be a good thing for luxury car buyers. The Equus is certainly not a bad first effort.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    "When I submit a review to tripadvisor I always have to check that I am not an employee or have an interest and my review is truthful."

driver--

I mentioned that I left a critical review on Trip Advisor for a restaurant that my family had tried to eat at again for the third year in a row. At that time I mentioned that my real purpose was to let the management know of our displeasure and not to try to necessarily influence others. I have to admit I was surprised when I got a response from the manager on the website. Although her response didn't really address two of my complaints it was proof that at least some of the establishments monitor what is being said about their food and service. I would expect that owners and managers at non-franchise restaurants would be much more sensitive and likely to respond than the corporate drones at franchises like the one where Mike recently ate with his grandson.

Gogiboy
  • gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    Isell--

I really like the CRV and I thought my wife was going to get one of the previous generation, but she thought it too big. That was coming out of the 02 Rav4 that I totaled. She felt the same way about the next generation Rav4.

My big complaint about the small SUV (or more properly CUV, now) category is the lack of a full-size spare. I really liked that feature on the previous Gens of Honda and Toyota. Am I the only person who has ever changed a tire or not wanted to have to find a service station within 50 miles on a road trip? Those donuts are absurd. I'm also waiting for the CRV to get a blind spot warning like the Mazda CX5. I think they all offer backup cameras now in at least some trim lines. I know a lot of people scoff at the desire to have this technology, but all of the small SUVs as well as my wife's Scion xB have sizable rear pillar blind spots and the sloping roofs on the CRV and Rav4 don't help either.

Incidentally, I compared a CRV Ex-L with a comparably equipped Ford Escape and the Escape was more than $5K more! I was stunned. How does Ford justify that?

Gogiboy
    edited August 2013
    I'm not sure if you are aware of this but the technology has improved markedly with compact spares. They are no longer the "donuts" od yesterday.

It is pretty unusual to get a flat anymore. I can count the times on two fingers that I have had a flat in the past 30 years and I used to drive a LOT.

One of those "flats" was a slow leak that was easy to deal with. The other flat was found in the morning in our garage. I pumped it up with a portable compressor and drove to Firestone and had it fixed.

The modern compact spares can he driven at freeway speeds for over 100 miles. Given space constraints it is doubtful that you'll be able to find a full sized spare on any car. You may even find no spare at all and a can of fix a flat. I keep my AAA membership up to date just in case.

A backup camera won't help you with your blind spots but I do agree on the lane change warning.

I will admit, my backup camera helped me today. I went to a local car show and I parked the 2013 CRV in a spot where I though nobody would be able to park in front of me. Well, I was wrong and not only that, someone else pulled right up within six inches of my rear bumper. Grrrrr! I have to say, the rear camera helped a bit although it wasn't necessary.

And, yeah, that same Escape that is 5000.00 more than the CRV will probably be worth 5000.00 LESS ten years from now!

PS - The full sized spare on our 2003 has never been on the ground after ten years and 71,000 miles. Maybe I ought to check the air pressure on it in case the AAA ever needs to install it!
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 11,930
    I don't know what criteria you used, but I came up with about $1000 difference, excluding any incentives. EX-L and 2014 Titanium.
    Escapes are very good vehicles, although not what I prefer to drive. My wife in on her 3rd one and the kids drive the older 2.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
    Last summer, against my advice, our son was DETERMINED to buy a Jeep Wrangler and, he did!

We did stop by the local Ford store and I was SHOCKED at the price of Explorers and Escapes! CRV's and Pilots were a bargain compared to the prices I saw.

The Wrangler is currently on a Jeep Club off road adventure and I'm glad I'm not along this time!
    My post was confusing. Our 2013 CRV has 4WD.

Honda used to call it 4WD but now, it's AWD.

Deceiving to say " ALL wheel drive when the spare does nothing to propel the car. The spare is a WHEEL, right?

I know they changed the way it works. No longer "Real Time 4WD"
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,862
    Incidentally, I compared a CRV Ex-L with a comparably equipped Ford Escape and the Escape was more than $5K more! I was stunned. How does Ford justify that?

Looks....The CR-V is pretty homely IMHO.

:P
    High level Fords CUV's really compare to Acura. A mid level Escape/Explorer to a better comparison to a high end CR-V/Pilot.
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 7,546
    Apparently so...at least in price !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

There are lots of Escape features not available on the CR-V.
    The CR-V finally got rid of that stupid wrong way side opening rear hatch.
    The Escape has had a more practical top opening rear hatch since it was introduced, almost a decade and a half ago.
    Looks are subjective and one of the last things I care about.
    Actually, they FINALLY got rid of that "stupid wrong way opening rear hatch" when the 2007's were introduced.

Funny, I can't remember even ONE customer complaining about that during those "stupid" years.

And, the one on our 2003 works just fine. Never a bother in any way.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 11,395
    Still LOVE the Wrangler & think it is one of the coolest vehicles on the planet every time I see someone cruise by with the top down;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Infiniti G37x Q40 AWD

My Father In Law has a ruby red Escape SEL 4WD & it is very sharp. The interior materials rival those in my BMW. Seats are comfortable. I think Ford gets away with the higher price point on some of the more expensive Escapes because you do get a choice of 2 more powerful engines (1.6 Turbo & 2.0 Turbo) plus the superbly finished interior.

Those CRVs hold their value insanely well. Looking through the paper this AM, I saw some '07s with asking prices in the high $19K range.

In fact, CRVs hold their value so well that I wonder if I could take a 36 month/10K per year lease & drive my usual 60K in that 3 year time period & trade the car in instead of turning it in as it still might be worth the stated residual value even with double the miles :shades:

Yeah, I suppose the Wranglers are cool. Maybe it's my advancing years but I find them nasty to get in and out of, bouncy, uncomfortable and crude.

Wrangler owners wave at each other as they pass.
    Um...no guarantees on that from me!

Ours is a 12K lease. 10K wouldn't have made much difference.

The main gripe I had was that with the seat back as I like it, reaching the steering wheel was an uncomfortable stretch.

Then I looked....DUH, it has a telescoping steering wheel that the older models didn't have!

I know, my salesperson should have shown me that. I never went to school on these.
    My 2 main concerns about the Wrangler are 1. The price & 2. The Soft Top

There are quite a few options on the Wrangler's list that can bring its MSRP way north of $35K really fast.

Part of the allure of the Wrangler is that it is a convertible. Now when my Dad & I go to baseball games & my jeep would be parked on the streets of the Bronx for the better part of 4 hours, am I going to worry about my side windows being slashed open?

edited August 2013
    Our son's has the removable hardtop. It's nice he can just pull off the front half easily. The rear half takes two people and some time.

He found on Craigslist a slightly used temporary softtop that actually fits and looks great. I think he paid 200.00 for it.

From what I hear, parking ANYTHING for four hours in the Bronx is risky.

From what I hear used Wranglers especially the four doors are bringing CRAZY money.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 8,559
    edited August 2013
    complaints it was proof that at least some of the establishments monitor what is being said about their food and service. I would expect that owners and managers at non-franchise restaurants would be much more sensitive and likely to respond than the corporate drones at franchises like the one where Mike recently ate with his grandson.

Gogi, you are correct, as usual! I sent the corporate headquarters 2 emails about my horrible experience and never have received a response from them. Never again will I ever set foot in one of their restaurants. If corporate won't respond, how can one expect the local establishment to improve its quality of food and service. IMHO, I'd rather spend $50.00 more at Morton's or Ruth's Christ and be assured of not only a good meal, but outstanding service as well.

Their prices were moderate, not cheap. For three people, the bill was $65.00. At one of the better restaurants I listed, it would have been $115 and well with it!

2018 Mercedes S450

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 6,471
    I wish I could eat for three at Ruth's Chris for 115. Last time the wife and I went, the bill was over 200. :sick:

2017 Buick Enclave / 2017 Hyundai Elantra

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,908
    edited August 2013
    I wish I could eat for three at Ruth's Chris for 115.

Talk about high prices. Last summer at Davio's (near Foxboro Stadium) I spent $340 for dinner for two adults and two children. My ten-year old grand daughter thought I wasted my money because the food was quite ordinary and the portions were small. Live and learn.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,862
    At places like Davio's, you are paying for the atmosphere and ambiance and for the bragging rights of saying you paid $340 for dinner. Last year I dropped $200 for two at Beacon Grille in Woburn.

You also pay for all the build out. Seasons 52 is opening a new location in my town. It's a high end seafood restaurant. The project to convert a former Border's Book Store is $4.2 million per the building dept.

It's owned by Darden's which also has Capital Grille and Eddie V's in it's high end portfolio to compliment their bread and butter Red Lobster and Olive Garden chains. I'm sure the quality of food is better at the high end chains, but one has to imagine that their ability to buy in bulk means the food cost isn't as high as it is for a single restaurant.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 8,559
    I wish I could eat for three at Ruth's Chris for 115. Last time the wife and I went, the bill was over 200.

Yes, but we don't order drinks and we usually order 2 sides, no dessert. We go out to an ice cream place near the restaurant for dessert. So, we can eat for 3 for about $40 a person, but if you add wine, a cocktail and dessert, it's going to run what you paid for 2 without tip.

2018 Mercedes S450

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 10,416
    edited August 2013
    My 2 main concerns about the Wrangler are 1. The price & 2. The Soft Top

You can get a CPO 2012 Sahara for under $30k in my neck of the woods. As for the soft top, I believe that you can still order the dual top option- although that means you need to have someplace to store the hardtop...

With all due respect to isell, my family doesn't find the ride of my 1999 TJ to be bad at all(and my wife and I are both in our mid-fifties).
    Some of you may recall that I bought the Wrangler in 2002 to use in a contested election campaign as a parade car- I fully planned to sell it as soon as the election was over, as I had heard all the terrible ride/uncomfortable seats/weak HVAC stories. However, come November we all loved the Jeep and I sold my 1993 Pathfinder SE instead. 11 years later we all still love it- and I have three people wanting to buy it if I ever decide to flip it. The only reason I'd get rid of it would be to replace it with a JK Wrangler Rubicon with the high-zoot sound system and heated seats...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2009 Cooper Clubman Son's: 2009 328i

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,908
    edited August 2013
    Seasons 52 is opening a new location in my town. It's a high end seafood restaurant.

Looks interesting. I have an anniversary coming up on 9/11 so I might give the Chestnut Hill location a try. I checked out their menu, and guess what, no prices shown. Hmm! is that an indication of really high prices or is it too déclassée to show prices on menus of upscale food emporiums?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 10,416
    edited August 2013
    Saturday I was helping wash up some dishes and noticed that the hot water was HOT- as in 190 degrees! One of the thermostats was stuck. I turned off the hot water heater at the breaker box and called my plumber. Without asking he told me he could come over the following afternoon. So yesterday(Sunday) he arrived as promised, replaced both the upper and lower t-stat(they aren't that expensive, and if one dies the other is probably not far behind), tested both elements and pronounced the system good to go.

Any guesses on the total bill(parts and labor)?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport / 2014 M235i / 1999 Wrangler / 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2016 i3 REX/2009 Cooper Clubman Son's: 2009 328i

This discussion has been closed.