Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,668
    " It was designed specifically for women"

Where do you get this? I went through all of the CRV classes, ride and drives etc and I NEVER ONCE heard that comment made.

Please show me somewhere where Honda states this!
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 25,725
    well, I formulated the opinion from various reading over the years. So to be fair, I went looking for "proof". In my usual half-baked lazy fashion...

http://www.redbookmag.com/kids-family/advice/honda-crv#slide-7 My favorite line: " A car is also a place to put on mascara."

From an Edmunds thread: Honda surveyed women who had test driven the old-style, tire on the back door, CR-V and found that women were looking for something wth a little more flair

http://suvs.about.com/od/honda/fr/12_HondaCR-Vjf.htm "Honda's marketing approach for the new CR-V is to attract a new Image Buyer: an affluent 32 year-old woman"

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,088
    Satch, as always, said it well.

Thanks for the link.

Remember when BMW cared about such people?
  • mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,855
    Did they use Synthetic oil?

Oh well, it's working again.

Hey, can anyone tell me why I would want a FFV (fuel flex vehicle) or not want one?

In looking at new trucks a lot has changed and FFV as an option costs more, but would I want it?

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 11,389
    So how much of a discount off of sticker did you get (if you don't want to say how much you actually paid for your Jeep)? 1% under factory invoice is a great price. I could definitely go with a Sahara then;)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Infiniti G37x Q40 AWD

• stickguystickguy Posts: 25,725
    only if they have E15 or E85 near you, and you want to use it.

though I suppose even if you are using regular E10, it might not be a bad idea since (in theory) the engine should be more resistant to the ethanol.

2018 Hyundai Elantra Sport (mine), 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's) and 2015 Jetta Sport (daughter's)

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 19,656
    I tried to answer last night but got this:

Edmunds.com
    We'll be back soon.

We are busy performing an oil change on our car forum to better serve you.

I hope they used synthetic 5W-30.

I feel your pain buying run flats. Consider yourself lucky, my tires cost over $2000 to replace. I would really have to like the bmw a lot more than something else to go through the run flat dilemna again. I have heard though that most of the others will be going to run flats in the near future - I really hope not!

Note to Kirstie: We ain't got no Bold or i icons or emotorcons etc.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,197
    Yeah....the forums are really messed up. They don't work at all using Google Chrome. And, they sort of work with Apple's Safari, but most of the scrolling is messed up.
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
  • houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 7,539
    Mike, you are a hoot...and you sound prepared. Be sure to get in the right line or you will be turned back !!!

PS- Don't forget that 4th grade report card.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 7,539
    edited August 2013
    Don't worry about it isell, car companies do a poor job in their demographics.

The Jeep wrangler is supposedly a macho man's vehicle, but every teen age girl in my area seems to be driving one. Either that or a BMW 3 series. I don't think I have ever seen a teen age girl driving a CRV.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 8,551
    edited August 2013
    Mike, you are a hoot...

Actually, it went smoother than I thought! They used my voters registration card, my birth certificate, the title to my car, and my social security card. They asked me about my middle initial and I told them that my middle name was given to me about 2 weeks after I was born, but my dead-beat parents never took the time to have it added to my birth certificate. So, they merely removed my middle initial from the new driver's license, had me take an eye test, took my picture, asked me about 20 questions (i.e. has your license ever been suspended, revoked...do you have an disability that would prevent you from driving safely, etc...) took my $50.00 (I donated $2.00 to autism research) and printed up my new driver's license.

It is valid until 2021 after which it can again be renewed online.

I arrived at 8:00 AM for my 8:30 AM appointment, but since there was no once on line waiting, they took me right away. I've never seen the driver's license office empty like that - usually it is jammed and you have to wait hours for someone to see you.

But I sure was prepared. She told me it was better to be overprepared than underprepared since 8 out of 10 people renewing under the new Florida law (passed in 2010) have to be turned away because they did not have enough documentation.

"...better safe than sorry..." is the adage most appropriate to this experience.

As for the 4th grade report car, they told me they needed the 6th grade report card, so the 4th grade report card did me no good!!!! LOL

2018 Mercedes S450

Hey, can anyone tell me why I would want a FFV (fuel flex vehicle) or not want one?

Well, my new E350 is capable of running on 15% Ethanol which I believe makes it a flexible fuel vehicle, if I am not mistaken. It's new on the 2014's and I agree that since it can run on 15% ethanol, it should be a better running engine running on 10% ethanol, which 98% of the fuel sold in Florida is formulated.

I don't understand the rationale behind 15% ethanol formulations. Ethanol is more expensive than pure gasoline - and that's why the farmers who produce corn for ethanol want gasoline formulated with 15% ethanol - and of course the environmentalists prefer ethanol over gasoline (I don't know why since ethanol pollutes just as badly as gasoline from what I understand). All it accomplishes is that we use less "oil" which is replaced by ethanol.

If the environmentalists get their way, you will find more and more fuel being formulated with 15% ethanol - but that will take some time since more engines on the road in the U.S. cannot burn 15% ethanol. So I do no see it as an essential option in cars sold this year - but perhaps in three or four years, it may be more essential.

2018 Mercedes S450

• verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,284
    "Wow! Thanks Verdugo! It only requires you enroll 30 days before to qualify as well. Sounds like a good deal to me. I like how it says 1% below factory invoice and not 1% below dealer invoice. "

(Seems like the buttons to do italics have disappeared)

You're welcome. It's a great program. It used to be $60, but even at $100 it's worth it.

When I ordered mine the dealer was very upfront. He showed me the printout with the different prices. Totally painless.

BTW, the picture in your next post doesn't show.
    I appreciate the time it took you to post those links but they reflect the opinions of the people who wrote those articles.

I know I sold as many CRV's to men as I did to women. They remain my "favorite" Honda for a number of reasons.
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,284
    "So how much of a discount off of sticker did you get (if you don't want to say how much you actually paid for your Jeep)? 1% under factory invoice is a great price. I could definitely go with a Sahara then;) "

I'm going from memory here, so I don't have the exact numbers.

Wrangler Rubicon unlimited (stick shift)
    Options:
    Hard top
    Navigation w. Uconnect
    Heated/Powers mirrors

MSRP was in the $38k-ish range. I paid $35k-ish. I remember that the discount was between $3.5k and $4k off MSRP.

I also got 0% financing for 36 months, but obviously that was avaialble to everyone.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,041
    Sorry guys! We weren't made aware of the planned maintenance, or we would have given you a heads-up. Took the hosts by surprise as well.

I'll report the missing formatting stuff.

GG- I'm on Chrome, and I'm not having issues apart from emotorcons & formatting missing. What's happening on your end? I've had a few issues on previous days, but I think it's from actions I'm taking in a certain sequence that shouldn't affect others, but if you're still having issues on Chrome, let me know what they are.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

Dealer to me> We made no money on any of the Mustangs that we sold you. You have said you want $33,000 for your Mustang and send me a link to a truck that is marked down to $39,981 price so $10,000 off. I have explained there is no way you can get $33,000 trade and have the truck sold for $10,000 off.

$10k off a leftover 2013 F-150 and Edmunds trade-in value on my car. Sounds right to me.
    Am I supposed to feel for him making no money on 2 Mustangs. I think not. Even isell would call this guy a grinder lol.

Mike> has your license ever been suspended, revoked?

Did they actually say "ever" or within 5 or 10 years?
    I'd hate to have to explain that when I was 17 and I asked the cop with the longest ticket lecture ever if this was an April Fools joke (it was 1 April) and I got a 30 day suspension.

• gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    "Actually, it went smoother than I thought! They used my voters registration card, my birth certificate, the title to my car, and my social security card."

Mike--

Maybe this is the way of the world now. My wife just took a different position within the same institution we both work for. Previously she had been on the job roughly 20 years. Since it had been more than 6 (or was it 7?) years since she last had to fill out paperwork she was required to bring in her actual SS card. I had put in in our safety deposit box so that necessitated a special trip to retrieve it. I mean, I can understand filling out a background check (no telling what she might have gotten into since her last hire), but why the actual SS card when she had been working for the same employer, albeit in a different area, for the previous 20 years? A post-9/11 federal mandate?

Our "tag agency" for license renewal is pretty lax compared to FL. I think the last time I got mine I just paid my money and got my license. I often say that in OK you can become mentally incompetent and visually impaired and continue to drive because they never check or test anyone after the initial test at 16 (or whenever one gets their license). You'd think that would make our auto insurance rates much higher, but as best I can tell it's no worse than anywhere else.

Gogiboy
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    If I was the dealer, I would have at least had you come in to talk about the deal rather than telling you outright that it can't be done. Then we would have run numbers on both ends of the transaction to see if we could reach a deal we both would be happy with.
    That must be internal policy.
    I was hired earlier this year, and only had to provide a photocopy of my SS card.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Did they actually say "ever" or within 5 or 6 years...

"Ever" was the word they used. They also asked if I was ever charged with DUI. Remember, this is Florida's new procedure for obtaining a new or renewed license. I have never gone through a process like this before to renew my driver's license.

2018 Mercedes S450

Hi soroush,
    It looks like you found our HCH IMA problems discussion - that's the best place to get feedback on your issue.

They actually said to you that they made no money on any of the mustangs they sold you? Why on god's green earth did they sell them to you then?

Thanks! Now you are enabling me;)

There are numerous Jeep Dealers in my immediate area. There's this one dealer whose service is supposedly superb. Free lifetime oil changes, they pick up your car & drop off a loaner, they'll take your hard top off & install your soft top in the summer, do the reverse in the fall..., but they only sell @ sticker (minus incentives). So it would actually be ideal for me to buy there with the tread lightly rebate.

Kirstie....Not sure what was going on with Chrome. I cleared my cache, shut all progarms down and rebooted. Now it seems to be working right. So, maybe a coincidence. Still no emotorcons, though.
    mako....sounds to me like that dealer isn't in the mood to....well...sell you anything. If you want to continue, I think I'd draw the line in the sand with them, giving them your final, best offer. They can say ''yes", or they can say "no". If no, out the door I'd go.

Personally, I'd move on to another dealer to begin with.

abacomike....my old Tahoe as a flex fuel vehicle. Around here, E 85 was about 10%-15% cheaper per gallon than "normal" gasoline. That said, it also got about 20% less MPG, too. So, it was a wash. I don't even see any stations carrying E85 anymore, around here.

So, probably a product that bombed.
    edited August 2013
    abacomike....my old Tahoe as a flex fuel vehicle. Around here, E 85 was about 10%-15% cheaper per gallon than "normal" gasoline. That said, it also got about 20% less MPG, too. So, it was a wash. I don't even see any stations carrying E85 anymore, around here.

I wonder why Mercedes Benz would take their 10% ethanol engine and upgrade it to a 15% ethanol engine if 15% ethanol is not available or is a blend that won't run well in 95% of the vehicles currently on the road in the US? There must be some logical answer! Anyone out there know?

2018 Mercedes S450

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 66,735
    15% ethanol is E15, not E85... FlexFuel vehicles can use E85, but not your Mercedes...

E15 is the new plan that the Congress/EPA have put forward to use more ethanol (as required by Congress) I read just yesterday that the Executive branch is considering putting off the new increased ethanol standards, which is good news.... Most manufacturers say their cars can be harmed by E15, but no one seems to listen (until now)..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

It sounds like bad blood between you and that dealer and they just don't want you as a customer.

But...33,000 for a used Mustang??? What is it?
This discussion has been closed.