Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,284
    "Thanks! Now you are enabling me;) "

Guilty as charged! Good luck.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,041
    edited August 2013
    OK, that usually cures it for me too. Every once in awhile, I get an instance where the page appears to lose all formatting - just white background, black & blue text, and it's all goofy, and there's some weird error message at the top of the page. If that's what you see, and you see it again, let me know.

And formatting/emotorcons are broken - that's not just you.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 8,536
    15% ethanol is E15, not E85... FlexFuel vehicles can use E85, but not your Mercedes...

Thanks for clearing that up for me - much appreciated!

2018 Mercedes S450

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,855
    But...33,000 for a used Mustang??? What is it?

2013 Mustang GT Premium with 5,100 miles. Cost around $38,400. 10 mos old.

I don't call him, he keeps emailing me to ask "where do we need to be on price difference"?

He keeps looking for my budget limit. I don't have one and when he puts the right truck at the right price in front of me I'll scoop it up.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 19,655
    I have no idea what the depreciation curve is like on a 2013 Mustang but would imagine it's taken a sizable dump.

So he's calling you? In your other post it sounded like they had blown you off.

Wait it out and see what happens I guess.
  • bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    But we love Oklahoma, don't we? I renewed a couple of years ago. I was over the magic age of 65, so my license was (drum roll) FREE!

About my eyes. I moved into Ok in 1966 (1968 after back from the Army? Who remembers.) and got my Oklahoma license. My eyes were getting pretty bad by then, but I didn't wear my glasses all the time. When I drove I usually wore them because,,,, well, I couldn't see very well. But when I got my license which required a test because I was coming from out of state, I thought I would try to pass the test without my glasses. I passed. The tester did note that I barely passed and I should have my eyes checked.

2011 (my last renewal) minus 1968 is 43 years? Never been retested. I don't think there is any retest in the state. My license still says 'Endorsements -None' which means if I break my glasses and have my keys in my pocket (probably couldn't find them otherwise) if I can find my car I can legally drive it. Hopefully to get new glasses, right?

The state does make you take a driving test to drive a motorcycle. This only changed about 10/15 years ago. I think I could have asked during the first year to just have the motorcycle endorsement added without a test. Since I didn't have one (having smartly sold mine in about 1985 after being almost run over about 3 times), and will not have another one, I didn't get it, so I legally cannot drive a motorcycle.

But I don't think there is any age retest. MY FIL, 88 and far into senility, has a valid license, I think. My MIL, 86. has wisely stopped driving, but still has a valid license.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 8,536
    My eyes were getting pretty bad...

The eye test they gave me was very sophisticated in terms of rows of letters (12 letters per row) and then images to identify. It was not like the eye charts in an opthomologists office. This one is designed to identify acuity problems in each eye as well as peripheral vision.

Luckily, I passed and won't have to take another one for 16 years. That is where the problem lies here in Florida - so many 80+ year olds who renew their licenses online with no acuity tests - just trying to drive in my community is taking one's life in your hands - at least 20% of our residents cannot see well and still drive!

2018 Mercedes S450

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 10,192
    Kirstie...happened again this a.m. I hit the tab "What's Hot" to get to the "Forums" and the page goes blank. This is with Chrome. I'm using Safari right now.
    2018 Acura TLX SH AWD ASpec
  • mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,855
    edited August 2013
    Craig, we're not in a metro area and dealers don't blow off buyers, especially ones that have past purchases and can actually afford to move into the $60k arena.

He doesn't call me as I asked him not to. He emails when something I may be interested in comes along. He was really reaching in that last email.

I know you're a point A to point B cheap as you can kind of guy, but not all of us see it that way. When I think Hondas I think kids and tuner wannabes. What's their market share? 8%? Go price an F-150 Platinum and see how many Hondas you could get for that price. Then hook a 10,000 pound trailer to it.

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

Thanks! Sorry to be so pesky, but since I'm the only other person besides you who's ever experienced that, a few questions:
    - what's your operating system (what Windows version, in other words)
    - did you visit any pages on Edmunds apart from the home page before you hit "what's hot?"

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    Sorry to be so pesky, but since I'm the only other person besides you who's ever experienced that, a few questions:
    - what's your operating system (what Windows version, in other words)
    - did you visit any pages on Edmunds apart from the home page before you hit "what's hot?"

I just experienced a similar problem over in "Ask a Mechanic". I was testing using html markup for bold and italic (which did work), but when I hit "Post" I got a very strange screen with an error message at the top. I tried refreshing (twice), which did not help. Going up to the top level (Forums) and coming back down did work.

Windows 7
    Google Chrome
    I can reproduce the problem, in Chrome or Firefox. First, post a message with direct html markup (bold or italic) (such as my post just above, msg 93246.

Then, go back and try to edit the post containing the markup language. Things go to he**.
    (Sorry to not reply - I was having image issues with that)

Did it look something like the attached photo?

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    My dad will be 78 on Monday, and he's chosen to not renew his license at that time. His medical issues have progressed to the point where he's not comfortable driving any more. Mom has to take him to his doctors, to the store, etc.

This means that they have only one driver but two vehicles - their '03 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6 with 30,000 miles, and dad's '70 Chevy C-10. The truck is in fantastic condition and has something like 140,000 miles on the body and around 40K on the engine.

Both my son (who is 24) and my nephew (who turns 16 later this month) would like the truck when it becomes available. Guess they'll have to have a cage match to decide.

mike, good on ya for getting your documents lined up and your license renewal processed with no hassles.
    Not "something like", exactly like your image.
    Thanks. The error at the top varies for me, which is why I said "something like," though the page looks the same regardless of the error message.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 10,417
    Sent them into jmonroe a long time ago. Say, he hasn't been here for awhile.....do you think?

Some good news. The 16yo niece that I've been teaching to drive passed on the first try with a perfect score! Not without drama though. 20 minutes before her scheduled test time I got a call from her saying "we're lost and can't find the test site". Seems her brother who was taking her to the test couldn't find his butt with both hands even though he had taken the test in the same spot a few years ago. Some quick Googling got them back on track and she passed making me 4 for 4 in training new drivers.

First thing she did was borrow mom's car and took off for an amusement park 60 miles away. Yikes!

2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van

edited August 2013
    " I know you're a point A to point B cheap as you can kind of a guy"

I'll take that as an insult. You have NO IDEA of the types of cars I have owned over the years. If I were to tell you how many cars I've owned and the variety of them, you would never believe me.

I am NOT a dyed in the wool "Honda Person". I like the fact they don't cause trouble, are predictable and easy to resell when the time comes.

I have ZERO use for a F-150 Platinum nor do I have a reason or a desire to pull a 10,000 pound trailer. If our needs were to change in that direction tomorrow I have the means to easily write a check for both truck and trailer.

I would probably not buy the "Platinum" edition (whatever that is) nor would I buy a "King Ranch". I wouldn't buy a base model either. I would buy a well equipped version what the options I want.

Don't sell me short. A couple of months ago, I almost pulled the trigger on a 40,000 dollar 1955 Chevy Nomad. Now that is my idea of an "investment". I could have enjoyed it for a couple of years and when I got tired of it, resold it for hopefully what I paid for it or more.

What stopped me was the fact it had been modified too much for my tastes. A 55 Chevy should have a 265 V-8 and not an "updated" 350. If should have a Powerglide and not a Turbo 400 etc.

In your first email on the subject it sounded like since your dealer hadn't made money on your Mustangs that they weren't interested in dealing with you again. I apologize if I misunderstood you.
  • gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    "But we love Oklahoma, don't we? I renewed a couple of years ago. I was over the magic age of 65, so my license was (drum roll) FREE!"

Bolivar--

When I moved here in the late 80s from WI (prior to that MI) I was stunned at the lack of testing. In MI I had to take a written and visual test every 4 years at the Sec. of State branch office. In WI I also had to take both tests for the one license I got there. So I move to OK and no tests in almost 25 years of living here.

You'll remember that we used to have those yearly vehicle inspection decals that were supposed to maintain some vehicle integrity on OK roadways. Although it was a system rife with corruption I felt at least some of the worst cars were kept of the road. Now I frequently see cars that have no business being on the road. Of course it goes without saying that we have no smog testing either, which would certainly push others into garages and backyards.

The thing most stunning though, is that anyone can buy a Tag Agency to dispense licenses, plates (tags), etc. That seems an invitation to corner cutting, but maybe I'm wrong.

It could be that they have scaled back the testing in MI and WI, too due to costs.

Gogiboy
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,085
    edited August 2013
    I'm with you on this, Craig.

The fact remains that Hondas (including my TSX) are relatively pedestrian transportation that fail rarely and provide good value.

You don't care much about the colour of your vehicle and crave no high-tech gee-gaws. I care about colours but share your opinion on the gee-whiz s*** (let's say stuff). Most of the guys on here want the latest and greatest. I, on the other hand, just want my stuff to work, preferably utilizing a small (2.0 - 2.5 litre) diesel with a manual transmission.

VW offers such a thing, but I'm leery of their reliability. No other manufacturer does.
    Actually do care about the color a bit but it's way down my list of priorities. for some people it's the thing that is most important. I never understood this especially on a used car. I watched people walk past nicer used cars and buy a lesser car solely based on the color.

As far as options, I like a well equipped car but (to me) things like a push button starter are so frivolous that I just shake my head.

Maybe it's just the conservative, practical side of me?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 11,921
    edited August 2013
    Was that Nomad completely original other than the drive train?
    If not, a 350 (there's lots of tasty ones) with at least a 3 speed auto or 4, is better.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
    Yes, it's original. Gypsy Red and white but the white is a non stock pearl white that doesn't distract too much. This Nomad is a LOOKER!

Original interior with the "waffle" material on the seats etc.

Yes, I know a 350/Turbo 400 is "better" but it's not original. The 265 Power Pack with Powerglide is what the car came with and they used to work just fine.

I realize for most people the "mods" wouldn't be an issue. I don't mind the dual master cylinder or front disc brakes.

If the 350 were fuel injected and it had vintage air conditioning I would be more interested. It does have RARE factory power windows and seat!
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 19,630
    I like a well equipped car but (to me) things like a push button starter are so frivolous that I just shake my head.

Do you live in an area that gets -10F temperatures?

I am not a gizmo person, but once I get used to them I like having them. Give me a rear view camera, built in GPS, lane change warnings (unfortunately mine doesn't have it but my wife's A4 does), ABS, Satelite radio, even better a hard drive or USB capability, Sport/Comfort/Eco options, Keyless entry and start, bun warmers and coolers,.............these aren't necessities but they sure do make life more enjoyable.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 11,921
    Stopped by the dealer where I bought my Fusion to schedule my first service, oil change and tire rotation.
    Had to make an appointment for a week from next Wednesday!
    May or may not keep the appointment.
    Could not believe the Explorer I traded in is still there.
    It's a dark red 2011. On the dealer web site, it's listed as a candy red 2012.
    2017 Ford Fusion SE 2014 Ford F-150 FX4
    "Do you live in an area that gets -10F temperatures?"

Nope and never would. Same for hot climates.

So, how is a push button starter going to help in low temps? I can see a romote starter helping if the heater was set to go.

Our 2013 CRV has a rear view camera and it's nice I suppose although my wife never looks at it and I rarely do.

GPS? My Garmin works fine.

Lane change warning? I suppose although I would STILL look back out of long ingrained habit.

Keyless entry? The 2003 has it but I have the remote in drawer. I don't like the extra bulk in my pocket besides I have the key out to start it anyway.

Bun warmers? I just don't like them. I start to squirm after a few minutes and I sure don't want cold air blowing up my rear end.

Still, I agree some of these items can be "nice" to have. Just not necessary at all, at least to me.
    Some of my trades that I thought would sell immediately rotted on our lot while others that I thought should have been wholesaled sold right away.

go figure...
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,602
    Most dealers in my area have oil change service without appt. express service in an hour. Evening and Saturday hours.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 10,417
    "...it's listed as a 2012..."

Is the dealer stupid or dishonest? Certainly he could read the title. I've seen Craigslist ads where sellers play fast and loose with the year of the car but never a dealer.

2015 Mustang GT, 2009 PT Cruiser, 2004 Chevy Van

Maybe they thought it was a 2002 when he traded it and gave him 2002 money for it!
This discussion has been closed.