Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tiff_ctiff_c Posts: 531
    Please excuse if this post has been covered; I cannot find a response. The lease is up on my 2006 Audi in June, and I am toying with the idea of buying a 2009 Prius. I expect deep discounting when the 2010 model comes out, so I want to get ready to jump.
    Does anybody know when this may happen? What kind of discounts (if any) should be expected?

I can only tell you that in my area (New Hampshire) the dealers are practically giving the Prius away. I could probably buy the car below invoice, which was what the dealer was hinting at. But I am going for the 2010 Prius. Drove a MINI Cooper S today that my wife was interested in and I was fairly unimpressed when the cost and dealer issues were factored in (RFT's, no spare tire, almost 80 miles through traffic to the dealer, etc...)
    From what I see up here this is the best time to buy a 2009 Prius. I'll be going down next week to hammer out a deal on a 2010 Prius and put down a cash deposit. I hope they come in soon, I need a car ASAP.
  • prc2prc2 Posts: 16
    The 2010s seem nice, but for me, this will be a commuter car (I'm in Los Angeles), so I'm looking for a good deal (also, my employer subsidizes a Prius purchase, so that's a bonus). When do you expect your 2010 to arrive?
  • rbk3rbk3 Posts: 34
    PRC2

I'm hearing April 22 is when the 2010 Prius will hit the showrooms. I think now is a great time to throw an offer on the 2009 model if that is your choice.

The way I see it, the 2010 will be roughly 1500.00 over previous models. I also expect the dealers to add 1500-2500 on top of the MSRP to extract full price from each sale. They want you to negotiate starting from an inflated sticker price down to the actual MSRP. I would never talk to a dealer that tries this BS.

The bottom line is you will pay very close to MSRP for the 2010. I don't expect to see or hear about discounts early on. As for the 09 Prius, I think you would be foolish to pay more than 2000.00 under invoice.

I think the 2010 will be a much improved vehicle over the 09 so the price should reflect that when it comes to negotiation. If you are interested in the 2010 wait. If it's the 09 figure your bottom line and make an offer now.
  • prc2prc2 Posts: 16
    Thanks for your response, rbk3. Well written and answers my questions 100%.
  • Hi gagrice. That's a tough situation. Has your friend tried to find someone to assume his lease? Banks often allow lessees to transfer their leases to another interested party.

The trick will be finding someone who is willing to assume a five year lease on a Prius. I always advise consumers against leasing for that long. Your friend may find that he has to kick in some extra money out of his own pocket to make his deal attractive enough for someone to be willing to assume it. Sites like swapalease or even Craig's List work well for this sort of transaction.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    I'm hearing April 22 is when the 2010 Prius will hit the showrooms. I think now is a great time to throw an offer on the 2009 model if that is your choice.

I'm really hoping the 2010 Prius comes out April 22nd. I agree that you will pay full MSRP for it. The Toyota dealer up here will not budge on MSRP and have already told me that it's going to be full sticker price. I need the car so I'll probably have no negotiating power, but I've driven a lot of cars and so far none interest me enough. The 2009 Prius is pretty much the same as the 2007's and for my area not enough power for the hills in the winter. Bladder fuel tank is a BIG issue here as well.
    If April 22nd that will probably be California. Our area will likely be a month later. :sick:
    If I wanted a 09 Prius I think $2K under Invoice would be a very good and doable deal. Sad thing is the loss the dealers make there they will make up on the 2009's.
    My biggest concern with the 2010's is how they will over option the cars. Waterproof glass, lane change gadget, etc...

Oh and for the record, I want to see how the anti- lane change gadget works on snow covered roads. :D
  • gagricegagrice Pahrump, NevadaPosts: 31,432
    I will let him know your response. Thank you, He needs to do something soon. I think he is headed to Hawaii the 1st of June.
  • rxanandrxanand Posts: 33
    I just spoke to the people at the Toyota booth at the New York auto show and they said that it would be next month. However, some dealers (especially in the east) may receive their allotments even later. Toyota of Hackensack (New Jersey) told me they would be getting their first 2010 Prius only in June.
  • Bladder fuel tank is a BIG issue here as well.
    Can someone summarize the issue? I'm clueless.

Thanks.
  • godigigodigi Posts: 3
    2009 Prius package 2. Bought on 04/11/2009 for $22,000 OTD. No sales tax here.
  • Hey, I really need to thank everyone who has shared something or another on this forum. I intensively research this forum and did massive negotiating with about a dozen dealerships in the area. A special thank to evadoo. I used that e-mail format and sent it out to a bunch of dealerships in the PA area. Finally got a deal for a Spectra 09 pkg 2 for $21432 plus tax and title/registration. Now my area is throwing a 0% financing special and if you opt for that, you lose the 1K rebate. I decided to go for the 0% financing for 36months, so my deal came to $22432 plus tax and title/registration. PA is giving a $500 rebate after purchase before end of year, so if factoring that in, then the price would be $21868. I put in a deposit and plan to finalize deal later this months. THanks again for all the help. :)
  • You're welcome, gagrice. Sorry that I don't have an easier solution.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    I just spoke to the people at the Toyota booth at the New York auto show and they said that it would be next month. However, some dealers (especially in the east) may receive their allotments even later. Toyota of Hackensack (New Jersey) told me they would be getting their first 2010 Prius only in June.

Thanks I figured it would be a May release but as I'm on the East Coast I just know we will get it a month later. :(
    Be nice if it was released on April 22nd tho.
    I don't trust dealer time lines. They are always wrong. I remember the 6 month waiting list on the Prius. Demand dropped and it was like 2 months. I'm hoping before June or I will have to buy something else.
    California gets everything first, small wonder they are so arrogant there.
    I'd like to see cars released on the East Coast first, but we all know that will never happen.
    Bladder fuel tank is a BIG issue here as well.
    Can someone summarize the issue? I'm clueless.

Basically the Bladder fuel tank changes in size depending on the temperature. If you over fill it it can squirt the gas back out of the filler.
    The problem up where I live is the winter temps get very very cold at times and the tank will only take 3-4 gallons. Other times it will take 9+ gallons. So you never know how much gas is really in the tank. It's really only an issue when it's very cold, but we get a lot of days that are below zero and for days or weeks at a time.
    If you live in a warmer part of the country it shouldn't be an issue.
    Here we know it is a problem since you can't throw a rock without hitting 3 or 4 Prius'. Our neighbors just deal with it. The local dealers don't acknowledge it as a problem. There is no fix for it, it's a design issue.
    The 2010 Prius eliminates the bladder fuel tank :shades:
    I just got off the phone with a dealer in NOR-CAL and I was told the release date for the 2010 Prius is delayed until Nov 09. I don't believe this for a second. I'm sure this is their (Dublin Toyota) tactic to unload the 09 model at the highest profit margin. I have not been able to contact my "go to guy" that informed me they were coming in April 22.

Please post if anyone has heard the same.

Additionally, I never gave due credit to evadoo for her purchase. You did a fantastic job and secured the best deal to date. Well done.
    My guy just called and told me August for the 2010. The skunk in the woodpile is back.
    My guy just called and told me August for the 2010. The skunk in the woodpile is back.

This is why you can't trust the dealers. They want to sell the 2009's and they can't do that if the 2010 is due out soon.
    Toyota will say nothing until the car is announced officially.
    My guess is sometime in May, but I'd love to see an April 22nd release date. If it doesn't come out in May I am looking for a different car as I cannot wait past May and I will not buy a 2009 Prius and the Insight is too cramped in the back so it is essentially a 2 seater and I might as well buy a Mini if that's the case.
    Toyota has a firm sale with me if the car is released in a reasonable time.
  • Hi to all on this board. I'm considering purchasing a new '09 Prius with Package #2. Any suggestions on target pricing? I saw one post with someone paying $22,000 OTD. Is that a good target or should I aim lower?

FYI - I live in the Seattle area and these vehicles are still pretty popular even with the new one coming out. Also, in the State of Washington a Prius is exempt from sales tax so that will be a nice but of savings right there...

Thanks for any feedback.
  • Hi, new to prius from volvo, looking at 2007 prius package 2 one owner 18,500 miles for 18,900 asking private seller. What is going rate??
    Thx
    Lori
  • dmkayedmkaye Posts: 2
    I am interested in leasing a Prius -Package #6 for 36 months, 12k /yr.
    I live in Northern New Jersey

Anyone have any recent leasing quotes you would like to share?

Thanks.
  • dlepschdlepsch Posts: 1
    I understand the warranty is 8 yrs or 100,000 miles on the batteries unless you buy a Prius in a CARB state. California Air Resources Board (CARB). Then the battery warranty is 10 yrs or 150,000 miles. There are 4 CARB states I think what are the other three CARB states? [email protected]

Also which states have no sales tax?
  • Here is what I got at Toyota of Morristown: Package #6 for 36 months, 15k/yr. $300 per month with zero down, other than first month lease payment.
  • dmkayedmkaye Posts: 2
    $300 for 36 months?

I was told it would be in the high 300s

Did that include taxes? Did you finalize the deal and, if so, recently?

Can you share the cap cost, residual value, money factor, etc.

Seems to me your price is very cheap. You are a better negotiator than me!
    Hi, new to prius from volvo, looking at 2007 prius package 2 one owner 18,500 miles for 18,900 asking private seller. What is going rate??
    Thx
    Lori

Hi Lori, here in New Hampshire you can buy a brand new Prius pkg #2 for about $20,800 if you haggle with the dealer.
    Also which states have no sales tax?

My State, New Hampshire has no sales tax. But you pay sales tax in the State you register the car in not the State you buy it. But here in New Hampshire they hit you with Registration fees. I paid $600 to register my 2009 Honda Fit Sport. So no tax but they still get your money. :sick:
  • jweaver39jweaver39 Posts: 15
    just purchased a package#2 with backup camera for 22500 at reinhardt toyota in montgomery,al. traded in 08 corrolla owed 10000 the gave me 12500 so my out the door price with trade in was 20000.
  • "just purchased a package#2 with backup camera for 22500 at reinhardt toyota in montgomery,al. traded in 08 corrolla owed 10000 the gave me 12500 so my out the door price with trade in was 20000. "

So you trade in your 08 Corolla for only $2500.00 net? It sounds like the dealer got a super deal.
  • jakshajaksha Posts: 2
    Here's a breakdown of a dealer's "good offer" for a 2009 Pkg 2 with leather.
    What do you think?

MSRP -- 27521
    "Invoice" -- 25760
    Rebate -- 1000
    Addtl discount -- 600

Total -- 24160

The "invoice" includes such things as...
    T.M.F. -- 743?
    Holdbacks -- 608
    Port options -- 1139?
    Deliver/Processing/Handling -- 775

What can we eliminate?
    Thanks!
  • godigigodigi Posts: 3
    I live in Seattle too. I just bought one in for 22k OTD(09 package2). If you have better negotiation skills and more time I think you can get a better deal. In my case, I only spent two days in the whole process... Good luck!
  • dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Posts: 223
    Is pkg#6 the only way to get leather trimmed seats in the standard Prius?
This discussion has been closed.