Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Hyundai Sonata Audio Questions

Comments

• chausterchauster Posts: 2
    I am sure it will work if i buy the extra Hyundai cable thing but it doesn't make sense why i should have to buy this since i have a usb connection already that came with my iPhone and it works fine on my friend's ford using usb connection, basically there might be something wrong with the hyundai stereo is what i am getting at.
  • jsmit86jsmit86 Posts: 116
    IIRC from other posts I have seen, regular iPods will work as USB devices with the regular cable, but with limited functionality. iPhones require the Hyundai cable to work at all.
  • ttiernttiern Posts: 17
    The manual for my 2011 Sonata GLS states the following [in part]:

CAUTION IN USING iPod DEVICE • The Hyundai iPod Power Cable is
    needed in order to operate an iPod with the audio buttons on the audio system. The USB cable provided by Apple may cause a malfunction and should not be used for Hyundai vehicles.
    The Hyundai iPod Power Cable may be purchased through your Hyundai Dealership.

There is more in the manual that should be referred to for best results in using an iPod/ iPhone with the radio. I have an 8GB iPod Nano that is left connected all the time with no problem with it charging.

The iPod cable is a good deal for the $30 and assures reliable operation and charging.

Tim
  • drewnmegdrewnmeg Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2011 Sonata and get an error message when trying to connect my iphone (to use the Ipod function) through the auxiliary cable that Hyundai provides. My wifes iphone has the same problem. We have iphone 3's. It will actually play the music from the phone while it says "loading" but after 10-15 seconds it says "loading error" and does not recognize the iphone/ipod. Has anyone else dealt with this problem?

Thx!
  • billchang2billchang2 Posts: 11
    has anyone figured this out yet or gotten the specifics from Jensen/ Infinity or Hyundai?

Question is how big a USB stick will the 2009 Infinity Sound system in Sonata Limited accept without errors? I got errors when trying to access one with 20+GB of music.

If it's not Stick size, is it Files/ directories that are causing the problem? If so how many files or directories will the radio accept without returning an error.

What's the best way to store them on the stick to reduce/ eliminate the problem and make it easy to access the files?

• jodigjodig Posts: 7
    I am using a 4 GB USB stick with a 2009 Sonata Ltd. It works fine. I listen to Podcasts and access them by turning the station select knob. The radio screen shows the name of the podcast. I would like more information on how to organize the files on the stick so it is easier to select exactly where I want to start listening.
    Thank you.
  • Has anyone had a problem playing their IPOD using the IPOD cable? I've tried with two different IPODs and I always get static.
  • I've been told by someone in the parts department at my local dealer that I can't play my iTouch (first generation), and that none of them are supported on a car like mine. I was willing to buy the cable, but he said it wouldn't matter.

I was quite disappointed, and was wondering if there's truth to that, or if because it was 5:45 and he closes at 6 and he didn't want to open the register back up. I got the Sonata (Cocoa GLS V6) and absolutely love it, but this sort of ticked me off considering it's a 2009 model and iPod touch models have been out a couple of years earlier.
  • I'm not familiar with the 2009 Sonata ports, but my 2011 has a provision for the iPod cord and played my 1st Gen iPod Touch with no problem.

I eventually bought an 8GB iPod Nano on Craig's list ($40) so I could just leave it plugged in all the time and have my iPod Touch immediately available for use when needed. I later bought a 3rd gen 32GB iPod Touch (for me, not the car); and now have an iPhone4. All have worked well with the audio system. In fact, infinitely better than the 8GB USB flash-drive I tried at one time.

Suggestion:
    My dealership had the MP3 cables in the showroom floor cars. Ask if you can borrow a cable for a few minutes just to try it out. My guess is that they will and it will work fine. Please let us know how it came out.
    ~Tim
  • I am now using a 4GB thumb-drive and love it; it keeps me from having to get my iPod out every time I'm done driving the car. It has 320 songs on it and still has 2.8GB free; that should be plenty!

In the setup screen, I've noticed there's an option to turn AVC on and off. Can someone tell me what this does? I checked the manual but couldn't find it.
  • themergthemerg Posts: 139
    AVC is Automatic Volume Control. The system will raise and lower the volume output automatically to account for road noise as you increase and decrease speed. It's usually very subtle.

- Merg
  • VERY subtle indeed. I sort-of figured that's what it was, but I hadn't noticed a change like I did in my folks' Civic or Taurus that has that feature.
  • alabwcalabwc Posts: 2
    Question: I just purchased a SansaClip for listening to Overdrive Audiobooks in my 2011 Sonata. The radio sees the mp3 player but will not play the Overdrive WMA files. It will play music, etc, transferred from itunes....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I return the Sansa Clip.

Thanks.
  • The Sansa Clip is not the problem. Most of the Overdrive Audiobooks are protected WMA files, meaning you can listen to them on your MP3 player, but you cannot listen to them on any other player, including hooking your player up to your stereo via USB. You will have this problem with any player. Just plug your player into the AUX jack instead. Works like a charm!
    It appears the problem may lie in the the Digital Rights Management (DRM) scheme used by Overdrive and its incompatibility with the audio system in the car. This quote is from their site:

"What is an OverDrive WMA Audiobook?
    An OverDrive WMA Audiobook title is a digitally-protected audiobook that has been optimized for download." More can be found at Overdrive Site..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This is added later as hindsight: Check into other sources for free books in MP3 (unprotected) format on the web. Free and unprotected is good. I just Googled "free audio books" and came up with a long list of sources. These should provide tons of options and work with your Clip with no problem, although they will all be in the public domain.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Back to Overdrive:
    Does the Clip play these files when you're just wearing earphones? I'd suspect the problem occurs when the audio system tries to play with an Overdrive WMA - DRM protected file.

The Clip is essentially a mass-storage device that will play MP3s and other unprotected audio files. I have 2 Clips, but don't use them in the car or with DRM protected files. Personally, I stay as far away as i can from DRM files (especially WMA) and Windows Media Player because of all the restrictions.

Although I tried the Clips and USB flash-drives they were found to be unsatisfactory with the Sonata's audio system for various reasons. I also have an iPhone, but didn't want to tie it up feeding music to the radio.

My solution was to go on Craig's List where I found an 8GB Gen2 iPod for $40. I had the iPod cord from when I bought the car so I was set. That solved my problems, but you still have the protected DMA issue. Can your audiobooks be obtained in a different format, preferably without DRM?

If you go with an iPod and the iTunes store works for you then that might be a solution. You'd have to use the iTunes software to buy books (I didn't see any free), but they have many free podcasts on a variety of subjects that sync to either an iPhone or an iPod Touch. Audio books and music in MP3 format can also be loaded from your own files.

My iPod Nano works well for me, especially with an iPod cable in the car (cost about $30 to $35, but it's well worth it as you can control the iPod from the radio itself.) Of course I primarily listen to MP3s.

Another would be to "rip" the DRM files with software that removes the digital copy protection or converts them to another format. Unfortunately, that leaves you without control of the audiobook features (which you probably don't have using a Clip anyhow. My clip works great when working out and mowing the lawn, but not in my car. The iPod is made to work with the Sonata audio, and does it well.

Another more spendy option would be to go with an iPod Touch which gives a lot of additional options. A free Overdrive app is available. See details at: Click here.

The iTunes webpage gives more information and screen prints. It would give you al lot more control. The iTunes pages states: Navigate parts using MediaMarkers™, create bookmarks and resume from the last point played. MP3 Audiobooks from the library automatically expire in the app, so no late fees!

There may not be many answers in this, but there are options. I'd be interested in the road you choose. This has been a learning experience for me.

And, Overdrive may have a support number or chat capability where you should be able to pose your question.

Sorry about the rambling. Let me know if you have questions.

Tim
  • alabwcalabwc Posts: 2
    Thanks very much for all the input. I'll try several things and see where I end up....

Thanks again. I'll post if I have any luck....
  • I have the dealer cable for the IPOD Touch. I can see the playlist option on the screen, but i can't access the playlists. How can you access the playlists from the audio system? My playlists were set up on Itunes so they are good on the IPOD.
  • ming2ming2 Posts: 17
    Is the new 4th. generation I-Pod Touch compatible and usable in the 2011 GLS Sonata with standard stereo.
    I have the same car that I use with Hyundai's MP3 cable. I have had no problem as the 32-pin connector is the same on the regular iPod devices. I've used interchangeably iphone 4; iPod Touch Gen 1 & 3; and iPod Nano Gen 1&2. The touch is essentially the same as an iPhone, but without the phone. Works great!

FYI: I bought an 8GB Gen 2 iPod Nano on Craig's List for $40 that I can just leave hooked up in the car. Obviously, it'd get to be a pain to connect and reconnect my iPhone; as well as wearing out the connector. You might want to consider an iPod that you could just leave connected in the car.
    Tim
    I select "Playlist", then the desired playlist, then the song by pressing the tuning knob (The same one used to adjust the speakers.) It's not the most intuitive approach, but it works for me. Good luck!
    Tim
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    A $5 USB drive works well for me in my '09 Sonata. 4 GB of music; I just created folders on my windows PC and voila! Playlists.
    Flash-drives can work well. I have several, including a 16GB. The problem is there is a delay to load the music. With the 16GB drive it takes about 15 seconds before it starts to play.

Also, with a flash-drive there are only playlists (folders) available. With an iPod you can also choose among artists, albums, genre, etc., and the start up is almost instantaneous as the audio system communicates with the iPod.

An iPod is something to strive for if you're into having the ultimate in selection options.
    Tim
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I've never had it read more than 5 seconds, but then again, I only have about 3 GB worth of music on my SanDisk USB.
  • I can't figure out how to tune in the extra HD broadcasts on my 2011 Sonata. Is it possible to tune in 102.9-1 and 102.9-2? There's quite a bit of extra programming out there I'm missing. Thanks for any help.
    You don't mention your model, but I don't believe you get HD FM on the GLS, only an XM trial. The Limited may have. Check with dealer.
    Tim
  • Sorry, it's a 2011 Limited. Dealers aren't that helpful with some things and the manual for this car leaves a lot to be desired.
  • The early model Sonata Limiteds did not have HD Radio. I'm not sure if it ever got added back in or not.
  • Oh my car definitely has hd radio. When it kicks in it sounds amazng. I just can't tune the extra feeds in. Tuner goes from 95.1 to 95.3, etc.
  • I have a 2009 Sonata and just got a Sony mp3 player for xmas. My question is about the formatting of songs from iTunes. After investigating, am I correct in saying that my Hyundai radio will not recognize the default iTunes file format? Does that mean that I just have to set iTunes to convert everything to mp3 before I put it on my Sony player? I really like the software with the player to import from iTunes otherwise I would just take the long route and download music to Windows Media and then to my player. Any insight? Thanks.