Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Monthly Update for September 2017 - 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited November 2017 in Chevrolet
imageMonthly Update for September 2017 - 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Long-Term Road Test

After nearly 10,000 miles, we take a look back and see that our 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV is handily beating its EPA range and consumption ratings.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    edited October 2017
    "but the idea that one will charge only when the battery is absolutely empty and unplug only when it is completely full misses the point."

well, not really... my wife runs her car to E almost every time and won't plug her phone in until it is near empty. also, in my experience, if i pick up someone else's phone more likely than not it is going to have have less than 50% charge.

me, i don't let my car get below 1/4 tank full. if i am in the car, at home, or at work, my phone is plugged in. i really don't like it to be less than 50% full charge.

but my life experience is that i am more the exception than the rule. it is gonna take a real fundamental shift in thinking for people to understand how electric cars need to be constantly charged throughout the day. it is also an indicator that there will need to be charging at every parking spot. that is a massive infrastructure investment; which will happen if there is money to be made.
  • Options
    davidbfoxdavidbfox Member Posts: 1
    "but the idea that one will charge only when the battery is absolutely empty and unplug only when it is completely full misses the point."

I totally agree with this. We almost always plug in our Bolt each evening because it's so easy (5 seconds). As a result we always have a full charge in the morning. Why not? The energy is there, I don't have to make a stop at a charging station or worry about the charge level. And since I programmed our Bolt to charge when energy rates are lowest, we get energy at the best rate.
  • Options
    ndahindahi Member Posts: 7
    I don't understand why your charging losses are so high. I have kept meticulous track of the charging losses on my Bolt using a Chargepoint EVSE at work and I am getting between 4-9% charging losses.