Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Passat Oil Changes & Issues

Comments

• An update...dropped the car off at the dealership on Friday for the piston cleaning which never happened. Instead, they replaced the PCV and added some fuel injector cleaner, then drained the oil and filled the car back up with a carefully measured amount of oil. I am to return in 630 miles to see how much oil I'm burning. According to the service manager, this is the procedure VW instructed them to follow for this. He also stated that the piston cleaning procedure has failed and that, basically, VW really has no idea what the problem is. We'll see how this works out....
  • Ihave had mine for over two years now....oil has been a major issue. Yes, 2 quarts every month they consider, for a TURBO, acceptable.By the way, all people reading this, if you put even one quart in there that is not synthetic, they will void your warranty.

They did an oil consumption test, reported back to factory and it was considered in the normal range. but where does it go I asked? No smoke, no hard driving, where? They said is was "consumed by the car'. Gessh

Steve
  • 2 quarts every month is not acceptable under any circumstances. Don't believe the BS.

My wife's 03 Passat 1.8T consumes NO oil after 5 years and 89,000 miles. Of course I have the oil changed every 5000 miles with only synthetic oils that meet the VW 502.00 or VW 503.01 specification. Here's a quick list of oils under these specifications (I happen to have the official lists right in front of me):

502.00 Specification:
    ===============
    Mobil 1 0W-40
    Valvoline Synpower 5W-30
    Castrol Syntec 5W-40 (a.k.a. as VW Part Nos. ZVW-352-540-S and G-052-167-A2 )
    Texaco Havoline Ultra 5W-40

503.01 Specification:
    ===============
    Mobil 1 0W-40
    Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula ("Made in Germany")

In the case of your 06 Passat, I would highly recommend using the oils on the newer 503.01 Specification.
  • altair4altair4 Posts: 1,469
    You wrote:

502.00 Specification:
    ===============
    Mobil 1 0W-40
    Valvoline Synpower 5W-30
    Castrol Syntec 5W-40 (a.k.a. as VW Part Nos. ZVW-352-540-S and G-052-167-A2 )
    Texaco Havoline Ultra 5W-40

503.01 Specification:
    ===============
    Mobil 1 0W-40
    Castrol Syntec 0W-30 European Formula ("Made in Germany")

Sadly, the VW/Audi official list has errors and also mentions oils available worldwide that don't always have the same qualities and compositions in North America as they do elsewhere in world.

Valvoline Synpower 5w-30, as available in the North American market, does not meet VW Spec 502.00 (the European version is 502.00 compliant). Their North American 5w-40 does meet 502.00 compliance. Always check the label on the bottle to verify if it meets VW's spec.
  • . Always check the label on the bottle to verify if it meets VW's spec.

As someone who has owned and worked on VWs for the past 27 Years, you're preaching to the choir.

If there are errors on the list, that is VW's issue.

The only oils that I use on either list for my 03 Passat (both Group IV Synthetics) are as follows:

502.00 - Elf Excellium LDX 5W-40
    503.01 - Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (Made in Germany)

I don't use Mobil 1 (haven't used an Exxon-associated product since the Valdez spill), and all the other oils manufactured in the U.S. tend to be Group III "Hydrocracked" synthetics (consistent with their cost-cutting, profit-oriented, MBA-driven philosophy).
  • The conclusion to the ongoing oil consumption saga...so after the dealership screwed up the oil consumption test (didn't measure oil put in correctly), I had had enough. Wrote a letter to the dealership owner and demanded that something be done. Told owner that I did not want another VW, but was told I would end up with far less by not staying with brand. After a few days of negotiations, dealership owner agreed to allow me to trade car (2006) in at well over trade-in value and purchase 2009 at a tremendous savings (more than fair since VW was not willing to do anything but waste my time). Lesson to all...don't sit back and concede to ridiculous oil consumption test(s) and demand that issue is resolved by obtaining new/different vehicle! Do not settle for any repairs as oil damage to engine, exhaust system, etc. is unknown! Make VW/dealership accept responsibility for the problem. A happy ending (so far)...
    So...what did you get to replace it?
  • quig1quig1 Posts: 1
    This is scary. I believe I'm in the same boat w/ my 06 2.0T. Bought pre-owned at 16K miles. Don't know what the initial treatment was obviously but have been alarmed at the amount of oil I've needed to add and have an oil consumption test in progress w/ 1K miles driven and measurement to follow.

Can you share any add'l info on your resolution in terms of amounts above trade in value and the new purchase discount? I'm looking for some sort of precedent as it sounds like a class problem w/ the vehicle.

Has anyone seen a proper fix or is this believed to be systemic?
  • I've read through many of the discussions on this board but not all of them, so if I ask a questions that has just been discussed, sorry.

I just bought a 06 VW passat from the dealer. 32k mikes. 2.0T. I noticed an abnormally loud ticking coming from the engine. I noticed it at the dealership but the service dept stated they couldn't find anything wrong. It doesn't start untill the car is driven down the road a ways then you can hear it from inside the car. Almost sounds like clogged fuel injectors?

Any thoughts?

Secondly, I have always done my own maintanance to all my vehicles, will I be able to continue with this 06 passat?

Thanks.
  • I have a 2001 Passat SW, 1.8T. I change the oil every 5000 miles and I don't check the oil level between these changes. Last time, I run 6000 miles and was about to go the service but the oil pressure light came on before. Rapidly, I added a 1 lt of oil and run few miles. The oil pressure light came on again, rapidly I lost the power and got the car towed to the service. They changed the oil pump ($800). Now, the car is running ok but there is a funny sound coming from the engine, like a whistle, when the RPM increases during the acceleration. In addition to that, the oil consumption has considerably increased. I can observe the decreasing level with the oil dipstick almost every week.

Any thoughts? Is the sound serious problem? or did I burn the engine?

All the best,
  • rudyvrudyv Posts: 1
    Some two weeks ago I had my 2008 Passat Wagon in for the 10k service. I took the car home (about 13 miles), parked it in my drive way and left for an overseas business trip.
    This Sunday after my return, I took the car and after about some 12 miles of driving the Low Oil pressure warning light came on and I immediately stopped car and engine. When checking the oil stand, I found that the dip stick was totally dry. The car was towed and upon coming home, I found a huge oil puddle in the drive way where the car was parked for some 10 days. We had a bit of talk with the dealer today and asked what could have happened to the engine with too low oil.
    We were assured that even the dip stick showed any sign of oil, at least three quarts were left in the engine, enough to provide even emergency lubrication.
    Is this true?? Are there three quarts of oil left below the dip stick?? I am not sure how much oil leaked in my drive, some seems to be leaked into the ground, right off the asphalt. The leaking came form a supposedly faulty O-ring on the oil filter.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • krzysskrzyss Posts: 848
    and ask them about their stand. Will possible future engine failure be covered by the warranty?
    Ask dealer to buy you extended warranty.

It is definately not good.

Good luck.

Krzys
  • Hi: According to what I did hear from the dealer and find on forums, the generation of my passat has a design flaw involving the oil pump and the turbo. The problem follows the same pattern for almost every case, (1) the oil pressure light comes on although there is enough oil. Next, (2) they change the oil pump (would cost ~$800). Next, (3) the oil consumption increases and the turbo or some other related pieces blasts and (4) the car blows some white smoke consuming the whole oil. The latter is a sudden incident. The solution is to change the turbo and other pieces. Well, I am not going to repeat all of the technical details here, you can check forums. The dealership covers this problem within the warranty if you can provide service logs that states that you changed the oil every 5000 miles with the appropriate type (5W 40 something like that). Otherwise, they don;t cover this. To fix the turbo etc. costs a fortune. A lot of people launched a law suit against VW etc. The strange thing with your car is that yours is a brand new one. Please contact me in private if you need more information about my case...
  • The Passat is such a nice car to drive. What a shame there are so many problems. The same problems seem to go on year after year. I wonder why German engineers cannot find solutions? I would love to buy another one but just can't take the chance. They must be losing many sales because of poor reliability. I am looking at the new Toyota Venza.
  • jle4jle4 Posts: 1
    I took my 2002 Passat Wagon in to dealer for work to be done on a recall. While there I asked them to change the oil. They came out to get me in the waiting area and showed me the drain pan nut that they state had been stripped by the person who did the previous oil change. Their only option for a fix was to change the entire drain pan for $800.00. When I went back to the previous person they told me that VW could have offered other fixes to the problem like re-threading and that VW most likely took the nut out with the drain pan cold and stripped it themselves. Any thoughts on this?
    I think the comment about removing the drain plug cold is bogus. You drove to the delaer to have the work done, right? How long were you there before they came out with the drain plug? It takes a good while (hours, if the engine was hot went you got there) for the oil in the pan to go cold.

Hard to say if using a helicoil would have been feasible, but certainly would have been worth a try.
  • srgcvs7srgcvs7 Posts: 1
    i have the same problems as the number 320 any solutions that you want to tell me or tips about the problem
  • vwdawgvwdawg Posts: 162
    Hi All: I have an '02 Passat 1.8T with 77,000 miles. I didn't get a manual from the prior owner, but I change oil and filter about every 5,000 and use 5w-30 synthetic. I heard something recently that there have been some occasional "oil sludging" problems with that engine, which I had never heard of and found to be alarming. Does anyone have any solid recommendations on type of oil which should be used (brand and weight), and how often it should be changed. Thanks! vwdawg
    VW has mandated that the 1.8T use synthetic oil that meets VW Spec 502.00. The most readily available over-the-counter stuff you will find at your favorite auto parts store would be Mobil 1 0w-40 European Formula and Valvoline's Synpower 5w-40. You might also find 0w-30 Castrol Syntec that meets 502.00, but it's more difficult to find in my part of the country.

Basically, if it doesn't say it meets at least 502.00 on the bottle, I wouldn't use it. And use the larger oil filter that VW mandated later. It's the one for the old diesel engine (you'll need to search the web for that number - I don't have it handy). That will increase the total oil capacity of the engine.

And stick to the owner's-manual-recommended maximum oil change interval of 5,000 miles with a brief two minute cool-down of the turbo at idle after hard driving and you will have done much to avoid the sludge issue.
    Hi altair4: Thanks for the recs...a couple of points that I was not aware of. Great day to you! vwdawg
    Oh...forgot to add a question to my last reply...anyone know the part number for the larger filter for the "old diesel engine" that altair4 speaks of? I am completely unfamiliar with that item, and will try to find on the net, but if anyone has specific info, I would appreciate it. Thanks to all... vwdawg.
    Original Passat 1.8T oil filter was VW 06A 115 561 B.

The new, larger, filter is VW 068 115 561 B.
    Thanks, altair4...MUCH appreciated. vwd
  • :mad: I have an 06 Passat 2.0T which is consuming oil at .46 QTs/ 1000 miles. VW claims this is acceptable. This is nearly one half of the oil capacity between a 5000 mile oil change. Their customer service says that anything not over 1 QT / 1000 miles is within acceptable limits. I'd like to get this news out on the wire before someone else buys one. I've had six cars in thirty years and this is the only one that has ever consumed oil. What are you experiencing and what have you done about it?
  • Austin_SAustin_S Posts: 3
    This looks like unreasonable to me. It is not supposed to consume any oil.
    This means that you have to add oil to your car, several times between two oil changes. My passat had serious issues with the oil pump etc. It was consuming .5QT/1000 miles before it failed totally.

My advise is to keep the track of your oil changes so that the warrant works.
  • lservelserve Posts: 50
    From what I have read, it appears that the 2.0T can require oil between servicing. I have a '07 with 35K miles and it has generally required a quart every 1500 miles. I was a bit taken back also having owned Honda's that seem to burn at a rate of about a quart every 100K (if you didn't service them). I think this is really related to the turbo, and their pushing the engine for performance. I've had no other problems with the car and love the ride, but the oil needs to be checked regularly, which the manual makes a strong point on (I believe for a good reason).
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I've been following the 2.0T (the older FSI version that you have) oil control issues for some time, and in the vast majority of cases, it isn't the engine itself that is causing the oil consumption, it is the PVC system. Many/most folks who have had their system upgraded to the latest revision levels of the breather plumbing have completely solved their oil consumption problems. Said another way, it isn't the turbo in and of itself that is causing your engine to consume oil, it's the extra emission plumbing required for the forced induction engine.

Best regards,
    Shipo
    Very interesting. What's does this translate to in terms of VW servicing? Something I should be requesting? Is this a software and/or hardware upgrade? Of course the dealer servicing the car has never mentioned this.

Thanks ahead for the help. - L
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I believe it's 100% hardware. :)
    OK, will discuss with service next check up. As I read that dealers are claiming this is "normal" for the engine - I would assume that VW will not offer to do this work without $$.

thx L