Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Impreza - How worried do I need to be?

a_vivi_8a_vivi_8 Member Posts: 4
edited November 2017 in Subaru
I've recently had to replace both the OSV valves and the battery in my 2009 Impreza. These repairs come on the heels of prior servicing and a battery inspection that did not indicate any problems.

(Literally, within a week).

Are these indicative of common problems with this year/model or of a much larger problem? Should I be concerned?

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Was there black particle debris clogging the inlet screen? Is there sludging of the engine oil or other deposits in the engine?
  • Options
    I'm not sure, but I had planned to ask about sludging. It seemed that traction control was also disabled.
  • Options
    Update: there was some sludging. The mechanic suspects that the previous owner used the wrong oil. They flushed the system to help clear it away.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Then you have your answer. The debris would have been forming everywhere inside the engine that the oil is.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help. I guess I'm still wondering: does this issue--by itself--indicate a strong likelihood that I'm going to see a lot more trouble/is it a red flag or just among the problems a car can have, especially an older car, which I should expect and plan for as routine maintenance.