Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe vs Toyota RAV4 vs Mazda CX-7 vs Ford Edge

Comments

• gunga64gunga64 Posts: 271
    Like something from all 3 but have some doubts.

Santa FE 6 cylinder 2.7 GLS with auto 2007:
    When I went to two dealerships, noticed fit and trim problems with the Santa Fe as far as wiper blades that seem to already be rusting, deep scratches on the paint on new car, after market parts falling off. Twice on two different cars right in front of me. Really scares me that these issues are there though cosmetic they could lead me to believe there are mechanical issues that I should also be concerned with. Not sure I trust MPG that is stated on window, edmunds forum tends to agree. Two interior colors camel and light grey. Rather have darker interiors. Nice looking SUV on the outside. Large cargo and interior.

CRV: 4 cylinder 2008
    Thought it was a bit smaller and noiser and slower then the other two. I seem to have issues with inline 4. Rather have the DOHC, Real time price was slightly higher then other two. Great colors for inside and out. Like it that it comes with a dark interior. But could always use more colors. MPG also goood, Honda MPG rating not as reliable as Toyotas.

RAV 4: 4 cylinder 2007
    Not as noisey or slow as the CRV maybe due to DOHC. Limited interior colors but darker grey then the Santa FE. Gets pretty good MPG and I actually believe the window when it comes to that since I have had many toyotas with stated MPG being realistic. Prices tend to fluculate depending on what is available on the lot at the time.

Not sure there are any other SUV's I would be interested in. The Saturn hybrid VUE was interesting but I tend to think GM can't make decent engine/transmission/suspension/electrical. They even went as far as putting in a honda drivetrain at one point. The 2008 dont even have the plastic door panels which I think was a big mistake to get rid of.

Interior colors a big problem with me when they are too light. I want to keep these cars for many many years. If they get nasty looking it turns me off.
  • srangersranger Posts: 106
    Well,

It is obvious that you do not have any first hand experiance with the Edge and are quite mis-informed on the CX-9. I have owned both and know exactly what they will and will not do.

As for posting here, I know that many people ( myself included ) will and do cross shop the Edge and the CX-9.

P.S. I have bashed the CX-9 on many other fourms, so I guess you need to do some more digging...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Honda MPG rating not as reliable as Toyotas.

Um...huh? :confuse:
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    I think his mind hasn't quite figured out what his fingers were typing. :)

I think he meant to say that the "Honda MPG isn't as good as the Toyotas."
  • mpuzachmpuzach Posts: 635
    Actually, if his previous posts are any indication, he means that the Honda's rated mpg isn't as close to its actual mpg as the Toyota's rated mpg is to its actual.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Oh. Well, I'm not quite sure how someone can objectively look at that over a broad spectrum, but the CR-V mileage boards seem to reflect some happy owners.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,798
    I seem to have issues with inline 4. Rather have the DOHC

Honda does have DOHC inline 4. I am not sure what you think DOHC is, but it simply stands for Double OverHead Camshafts.

Good luck in your car search.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    That may be true for some models, but IIRC Consumer Reports wrote an article about that phenomenon and they found that the Honda S2000 was on their list of underrated cars in terms of EPA MPG.

YMMV.

I can say that my Toyota Sienna far exceeds the EPA numbers, even pre-2008.
  • sduff68sduff68 Posts: 52
    I read the latest edition of the U.S. News and World Report. They are ranking cars and they have a new website called www.RankingsAndReviews.com . Anyway, the rate the Hyundai Santa Fe 14th among mid-sized SUVs. I was taken aback however when I read the review they actually give the Santa Fe a rather high ranking.

However, one of the reasons why it's ranking is so low is because they call the GMC triplets (Acadia, Enclave, Envoy) as MID-SIZED SUVs. Aren't these three vehicles large SUVs! Their dimensions are only an inch or two off the Tahoe or Yukon!
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 8,030
    No, they're midsize just like the Explorer. The Acadia has a 3 inch shorter wheelbase, 7 inches shorter in height and 1-2 inches shorter in width and overall length. It's also 500 lbs lighter and only has a V6 while the Yukon has a V8.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Looks like they've mismashed a lot of different groups into one.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Hmm, think about the source, though.

U.S. News and World Report.

Would you really go to them for advice about cars?

Politics, maybe. But cars?

I'd give them about as much weight as Family Circle Magazine. :D
  • My wife has a 2007 Saturn Outlook XR (same vehicle as the Enclave and Acadia). I have a 2007 Santa Fe Limited. I can assure you that the Acadia/Enclave/Outlook is a LOT larger vehicle than the Santa Fe.
    My wife has a 2007 Saturn Outlook XR (same vehicle as the Enclave and Acadia). I have a 2007 Santa Fe Limited. I can assure you that the Acadia/Enclave/Outlook is a LOT larger vehicle than the Santa Fe.

Nobody said it wasn't, but that doesn't mean the Outlook is full size, either.
  • So what is "full size"? You suggest above that the Yukon is "full size" while the Outlook/Acadia/Enclave are not. You said:

No, they're midsize just like the Explorer. The Acadia has a 3 inch shorter wheelbase, 7 inches shorter in height and 1-2 inches shorter in width and overall length.

I don't know where you got your info, but it doesn't match GM's or Edmunds.com's specs. According to the specs available at GM.com and Edmunds.com, the Acadia has a wheelbase of 118.9 inches vs. the Yukon's wheelbase of 116. The Acadia's external dimensions are barely smaller, but the difference is so slight you'd need three friends and a lot of tools to detect it. The Acadia is 0.8 inches narrower (78.2 vs 79) and 1.3 inches shorter (200.7 vs. 202). While the Yukon is taller, that's because it has more ground clearance (9.1 inches vs. 7.4 for the Acadia) and its body-on-frame constructions pushes the floor even higher. As a result, the Acadia has significantly MORE room inside that the Yukon -- 117 cubic feet for the Acadia vs. 109 for the Yukon. Payload capacity is essentially a wash, too, at 1463 for the Acadia and 1472 for the Yukon.

By those figures, it seems to me that the Yukon and Acadia are in the same size class. By comparison, my 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD is a pipsqueak. The Santa Fe is 16 inches shorter than the Acadia, 4 inches narrower, five inches lower, and rides on a wheelbase that is 13 inches shorter. Max cargo capacity of 78 cubic feet is just 2/3 of the Acadia's capacity. And trust me, parked next to one another, my wife's Outlook looks huge compared to my Santa Fe.

If the Santa Fe is midsize, then the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave have to be full size. The only things meaningfully larger are mega-SUV's like the Suburban and Yukon XL.
    I used kbb.com. Their height for the Yukon is wrong and it looks like I transposed the wheelbases.

If it makes you feel better to call it a full-size then be my guest. But seriously - what difference does it make?
  • "If it makes you feel better to call it a full-size then be my guest. But seriously - what difference does it make? "

You might ask yourself the same question, as you were the one who started this discussion by insisting that the Acadia/Enclave/Outlook are not "full size" and the Yukon is. I simply pointed out that your statement is incorrect.
  • somedai1somedai1 Posts: 416
    the acadia is quite attractive.... what are the definitions truly in the SUV world anyway? it's crazy how they come up with these names SUV, Cross-Over vehicle - what would be small, mid-size, full size? and those rediculously big SUV's - are they just full size too? why would they compare the santa fe with the rav 4 instead of the highlander? why would commercials pit santa fe against a Landrover LR3? we can continue to be confused about classification but it's all marketing and we'll keep buying.
    I didn't start it - someone else said they were full-sized and I gave reasons why they were still classified as mid-sized. And except for the wheelbase the Yukon is larger than the Acadia including weight and engine size.
  • reemoereemoe Posts: 15
    I know the Rogue isn't in the thread title, but has anyone noticed how identical the exterior styling is of the new Nissan Rogue SUV? They look like twins!
    the rogue looks like the nerdy (not cool) brother of the murano...
    Wow, I really opened a can of worms.

Hopefully U.S. News and World report will update their website.

I also subscribe online to Consumer Reports. They still call the Santa Fe a "small" SUV (after the RAV4), even though it is obviously now in the Midsize category.

However, since "midsize" vehicles like the Highlander are getting so much larger this comparison the Santa Fe can probably be considered a "smaller midsize" SUV.

Another complaint is that the Santa Fe is Consumer Reports second most highly rated small SUV, however they still don't recommend it. I guess they are waiting for the reliability reports.
    perhaps in trying to reach a wide market - the auto makers are making so many vehicles that are so similar and also so many varying sizes it's hard to catagorize. also remember all the hidden partnerships and alliances in the industry - so you find so many look alikes and shared powerplants....
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Mazda CX-7 was slapped in the face by CR today, reporting it unreliable. Ouch. Looks like the CEL problem lingered a bit too long for 2007.
  • astegmanastegman Posts: 171
    This just made me laugh out loud, as my CEL was on from last Thursday to yesterday evening. I know why - when I got gas Thursday morning, I didn't tighten the gas cap enough (mine needs at least 6-10 twists). I got gas again on Sunday, secured the gas cap tightly and that did it. I've had my CX-7 for 14 months, and the CEL's come on more times than I can count, for every conceivable reason (and has had every conceivable fix, and 3 different gas caps).

I know that the CEL is hypersensitive in my particular car and that for the most part, it is completely meaningless. Does that make my car "unreliable"? No, not in my isolated case. The car's been fantastic since Day 1, and I have no regrets. However, I do understand the smackdown by CR; in theory, the CEL can mean something really serious is going on with your car, something that might actually mean danger. It just made me laugh, though, since for me - for my car - the CEL is just an annoyance, something that comes and goes depending on the amount of twists of the gas cap as well as the outside temperature, something to which I assign no importance at all (sounds negligent, I know, but again, this applies only to my car). I take scrupulous care of the vehicle and have full confidence in its performance each time I drive it. Still, it's annoying and is a blemish to the car's reputation. I would hope that later models have no such issues by now.
    are you even sure it's the gas cap? did you diagnose yourself? beware the new car dealer... reset the cel over and over to keep from handling a bigger problem under warranty...
    a little off topic - what made me laugh today - a woman tried to get in my '07 Santa Fe Limited AWD - while i was still in it... with my kids! and it was running! she thought it was her honda crv - (i'm instulted) - but this could be kudos to my Santa Fe - quiet running engine - she didn't even hear it running!
    Since my post the other day Consumer Reports has update their website and they highly recommend the 07 Santa Fe!

It is so nice to drive a highly rated CR vehicle! Hopefully these ratings will go a long way towards improving Hyundai's resale value.
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Posts: 498
    Guess we're soul-mates, eh? I've had mine since June 06, 32K miles on it now. I've only had a handful of CELs: gas cap, filler tube, and 1RML valve (or whatever the gizmo is).

OEM tires, Goodyear, have finally worn out but that's normal wear n' tear for that type of tire. Gonna replace the tires AND the rims in a couple weeks, so I'll post pics in the tire thread.

Considering the miles, I'm still IN LOVE! I wipe it down daily, dress the tires daily. I CONSTANTLY get compliments. It just gleams in the sun!

Vince. :shades:
  • sssfegysssfegy Posts: 132
    "replace the tires AND the rims"

Be careful with the rims, you have tire pressure monitering system, you can by-pass the system but the light will always be on, please let us know if you find any after market that will work with the TPMS.
    Also FYI tirerack has the best price for the Goodyear on the Cx7.
This discussion has been closed.