Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Surprise Maintenance Costs - 2017 Honda Clarity Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited March 2018 in Honda

imageSurprise Maintenance Costs - 2017 Honda Clarity Long-Term Road Test

A routine maintenance visit for Edmunds' long-term 2017 Honda Clarity Fuel Cell comes with a surprising price.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Wow. I'm not surprised that a basically one-off vehicle with a radically different propulsion system has unique and expensive parts. However, I AM surprised that Honda would choose to pass those costs onto the customer. I'd think they'd practically want to pay people to use and log miles on their vehicle type.
  • charltoncharlton Member Posts: 21
    When is the next update? I'd like to know a bit more about the car before I put down the deposit to get on the waiting list. Apparently, this car's demand is going up since Mirai lease is not as much an attractive proposition.
  • kburgkburg Member Posts: 9
    Just a note to the author, since I've been following this car. I would recommend changing the name from "Clarity" to "Clarity (Hydrogen Fuel Cell)" as most people will be interested in the gas PHEV version. While I find the article fascinating, I have to wonder, why the niche fuel-cell version instead of the thrify gas PHEV ? The latter is the most likely evolution of vehicles.
  • charltoncharlton Member Posts: 21
    Per local dealer in NorCal, the car's production has been halted in Japan, and 'may' resume in September. This after all the eligible dealers here back in April said deliveries would happen after a pause in June... so July. He speculated that it must be a software update that has caused this, since that's what had happened last time. Earliest delivery now has been pushed to October optimistically. Anyhow, those on the waitlist now need to continue waiting. The plus point is that the waitlist may get shorter. I hope the wait isn't as long as it was for Tesla model 3.

I'll drop out of the waitlist if Drumpf's tariffs (and EPA!) force a change in the lease deal. The delay in production doesn't help either.

And just like Honda, Edmunds seems to have halted providing updates here!