Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Dodge Dakota - IV

Comments

• I have a 2000 Dakota club cab with 4.7 liter motor. The day after I received the truck it made a creaky/squeeky noise underneath whenever I went over every bump or uneven surface on the road. I took it in to the dealer three times before they finally replaced the sway bar bushings. This fix lasted two months before it returned. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any idea what may be causing the noise? I believe the noise is coming from the front end of the truck, but I am not sure.
  • After a few phone calls, and waiting for 3 weeks, we received the balance of the rebate.

Thanks for everyones comments.
  • kbt1kbt1 Posts: 3
    98 Dakota current 85,000 km
    Partial repair list as follows
    5,000 km replaced rear engine support to cure squeak.
    12,000 km replaced top control arm assys, to cure squeaking ball joints.
    15,000 km replaced front brake pads and rotors.
    18,000 km replaced crankshaft sensor, left me stranded.
    19,000 km replaced battery, again left me stranded.
    25,000 km replaced bottom control arms, squeaking ball joints.
    30,000 km replaced pinion seal and rear trans seal
    35,000 km replaced drive shaft u joints
    38,000 km replaced rear wheel seals and brake linings
    45,000 km replaced engine rocker arm assy, noisy
    55,000 km replaced engine supports, one broken
    Above repairs done on warranty,
    Following done at my expense.

81,000km replaced all control arms, ball joints worn and would not pass inspection cost $1500.00. At time of replacement ball joints could not be purchased without the arm assy,(another Dodge rip off) apparently they are now available as a bolt in after market replacement.
  • Hey all, I am the proud owner of a 99 RT I picked up earlier this year. me and my little bro are turning it into a real runner this winter. I am also hoping to pick up a 01 4.7 down the line for my everyday driver.The RT has been dang reliable for me, It's puts my Ford's I have owned to utter shame. I love Dakotas :)

Brian
  • kbt1kbt1 Posts: 3
    The Dodge soaps, see the following link http://www.detroitnews.com/2000/autos/0011/06/a01-144553.htm
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Thank you for sharing that important piece of news. I was aware that there was some intense internal "thrashing about" but had no hard and fast details. Mr. Schrempp is now in the "once uttered" situation as regards his remarks to the press concerning the posture of the merger. Here is an example of a "once muttered." Wife to husband, "How do I look in my new dress?" Husband responds, "Fat." Now, "once muttered" there is nothing else that he can say to alleviate
    the impact of that comment. He can say that he meant that she does not look fat, but the dress looks fat, or the fault lies with the dress, or anything else. It will do no good. He lives and/or dies with the statement and the probability leans heavily towards "dies."

Bookitty
  • s4016s4016 Posts: 12
    Anyone have any idea how long I have to wait for one of these. I keep hearing the 5.9 is on its way out! Someone has to have the inside info.
  • bmwjoebmwjoe Posts: 136
    Hi,

I have a 2WD Dakota Sport with the 5.2, 5-speed and limited slip. I want to get some snow tires for the rear. I have looked into "winter" tires like the Blizack, but they want you to get 4. I only want 2. Has anyone put 2 "winter" tires on their Dakota? How did it work?

On the other hand, does anyone have any good suggestions for old style snow tires? Any good online sources?

Drive Safe,

Joe
    http://home.jtan.com/~joe/toys.htm
  • Joe. I have a 2000 Quad 4.7l 2wd 5spd That I put snow tires on however I went with the new Blizzak truck tires on all 4 corners. I bought a set of rims off of Ebay and the tires from the tirerack web site. Just had a 3" snow and ice storm and traction and the ability to turn was exceptional. Snow tires on the rear only help with the acceleration, I feel the snows up front are really necessary for the control turning the truck. If you don't need the 15x8 rims you can find 15x7 or 15x6 alloy rims relatively cheap. I went with the 15x8 to keep the same look as my "summer tires". Rick
  • I agree with iowadude - you really should have snows all around. I put michelin artic alpins on my 5.2l 5-sp before snow season last year (along with some weight in the back) and was pleased with the results. You really need 4 not just for cornering, but braking (and control while braking!!)
  • I considered the michelin artic alpins but they weren't out when I bought my Blizzaks last year. How well do they wear. Problem with the Blizzaks is the rubber is so soft that if you spin the tires on dry pavement you actually see a small pile of rubber you've ground off. Also after the Eagle LS I can actually feel the tires squirm a little when making fast lane changes or getting into a corner a little too fast. Must be because of the soft rubber and the block tread. They were worse last year on my 93CC than now on my 2k quad but thats probably because the tred has worn about 1/4" Rick
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    The latest word that I heard was that the new engine would be offered in the Rams in a couple of years. It is suppose to be a 5.7L Hemi, which will give the lineup a 3.7, a 4.7 and the 5.7. On the negative, it is reported that the Dakota will undergo a major revision before it gets the new engine. That leads to a myriad of possibilities, including the exclusion of the new engine from the Dakota if gas prices stay high or if the EPA sets regulations on MPG.
  • I'm pleasantly surprized with the dry road performance of the Michelins - they actually ride smoother than my LS's. Because they dont rely on soft-multicell rubber compound for traction the lateral response is not mushy. I believe at the limit the Blizzaks may provide a little more traction on snow and ice (providing you have any soft compound left - I believe it exists only on the first half of the tread depth). The artics seem to wear fairly well also.
    My dad put 2 snow tires on his truck and my grandfather did the same. I plan to put 2 snow tires on too. Besides, I have 2 extra wheels for my Dakota.

I went to tirerack.com and saw they had winter tires, but reccomended you use all 4. I wanted to see the tires in the flesh so I went to National Tire and Battery (NTB) and looked at the Alpins and Blizaks. I asked about using just 2 and they said it would be OK for a RWD truck. No big deal. $99 each. I then went to the Firestone store and they were pushing 4 tires (at $115 each).

Based on what I saw and read at tirerack.com I decided on the Blizaks and ordered 2 on line from them on line last night. I got a warning screen about puting just 2 on the car, but it let me order.

I then read post 414 and decided to get the Alpins since we don't get too much snow here and I wanted the longer life. I called tirerack.com at 8:15 this morning and asked to change my order. Everything was going well until I said I wanted 2. The guy would not sell me just 2! I then asked to keep my order the same and he said he could not do that, he had to cancel. He said there were lawsuits about runing all season and soft-rubber winter tires and he had orders not to accept any orders for 2. I ended up ordering wintermaster plus tires which are a traditional snow tire.

My question is, what bad thing happens when you mix regular all season tires and soft-rubber winter tires? They say it changes the handling, but how?
    Joe, on front wheel drive vehicles, snow tire on all four corners are recommended because the non driving axle (rear) cannot be steered and there may be some tracking difficulties. On 2WD vehicles
    with traditional wheel drive, the non drive axle front can be steered and that helps with tracking, but the additional traction offered with a winter or snow tire may improve tracking significantly. Actually Joe, it has been so long since I have had any 2WD vehicle that perhaps I am off base with my answer. I never compare my father's and my grandfather's driving habits, as my Dad was a poor driver and my grandfather never operated a vehicle. Did anybody at least offer a "makes sense" answer? Besides, isn't Telford on the line of Bucks and Montgomery Counties? It never snows there

Bookitty
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    I have personal experience with driving in snow all my life. (23 Vermont winters)

RWD vehicles with true snow tires in the rear will have better "go" in the snow and not as much "stop". (The front tires do over 60% of the stopping in ALL vehicles... especially an unloaded truck)

With a 2WD truck, I have used Nokia Hakkapalittas on the rear with studs. (The BEST snow tire made!! ) One must also add weight to the bed of the truck directly over the rear axle. Many people build a simple frame out of 2X6 that fits over the wheelwells that allows a few bags of sand to stay put. Others put sand in 5-gallon pails in the frame. You have ready-access sand if you get stuck.

In any case, without some way to stablize the weight you are asking for trouble!!
    Bookitty, I did not get any "make sense" answers from the tire dealers. I was hoping someone out here would have one. I understand that if I put snows on the back braking and steering would not be improved, but it should not get worse. What is the downside?

Joe
    Joe, response # 417 from bpeebles is in the "make sense" category. Bruce is a very bright and knowledgeable source within this forum. Anything he offers may be "taken to the bank." I spoke of tractive effort, but that goes both ways. Increasing the ability to stop the vehicle as well as to get it going. Looks like a "make sense" to me. It seems as though 4 winter type tires would provide you with a greater margin of productive as well as safe operation.

Bookitty
    I wrote Bridgestone from there web site to ask why I could not use just 2 Blizzaks. The subject was "Why do I need 4 Blizzaks? Here is the response:

"As a demonstration of our commitment to customer safety and satisfaction, Bridgestone/Firestone, after consultation with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, has announced
    a voluntary phased recall of P235/75R15 Radial ATX and Radial ATX II tires and certain Wilderness AT tires. We believe that these tires, when properly inflated and maintained, are among
    the safest on the road..."

Not really the answer I was looking for.
    Joe, that is a canned answer. Remember, that these people have been playing nothing except "defense."

Bookitty
    Thanks for the positive words. Those of us that have been here over a year are starting to see the exact same questions come up over and over.

Perhaps I should start a library of "canned answers" like Fire-Bridge-stone;->
    Bruce, you are absolutely correct. I could not but help notice that we (the forum) are going through our "deja vu period." With your knowledge of computers and programming it would be possible via "keyword" recognition to provide a suitable answer or solution for specifically addressed questions and/or problems. I have been doing this in my marriage for over 42 years. This is how I don't lose track during the ball games.

Bookitty
    I spoke with a representitive from Michelin today and she said that there was no directive fom Michelin to install Alpins only in sets of 4. They prefer full sets, but do not demand it. She looked for application notes and could not find any.

It seems like TireRack.com gave me a line of BS by refusing to sell me just 2. Kinda ticks me off that I purchased 2 regular snow tires from them. Live and learn.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • njt15njt15 Posts: 20
    I know that this was covered hundreds of posts earlier, but I have forgotten what the "white" goop in the oil turned out to be. I have about 15,000 miles and done a few oil changes. Last time I noticed a white foam/gel under the filer cap. It is moisture, but from where?
  • njt15njt15 Posts: 20
    I have a Flowmaster kit and it has improved mileage slightly, (10 - 20%) depending on city v. hwy and driving style. Actually, it sounds so great, you will put your foot into it more often, which will hinder your mileage. However, your overall Dakota 4.7 experience will be better.

FYI, JBA will have headers for the 4.7 available by Christmas. Will they help mileage? Power? Torque? Ahhh who cares...it will sound even better and I will enjoy the meaning of life; acceleration.
    The moisture comes from the combustion process. There is a little bit if exhaust that blows by the rings. This is the same moisture that drips out of the tail pipe when you first start on a cold morning.

The oil and moisture mixes together to make a brownish white goop. This sticks to cold surfaces like the oil filler. It usually burns off when it gets hot, but the oil filler dosent' really get that hot. A long run on the highway in the summer may remove it.

Drive Safe,

Joe
    (njt15) Let me add to what bmwjoe is saying.

Specifically, the "goop" you refer to is an oil-water emulsion that is highly acidic. Oils that have sulfer-based additives create SULPHERIC ACID under these conditions.(corrodes metal!)

There are a couple of TSBs that that addressed this problem. One contains 2 replacement parts for your engine.

Please see the detailed explanation within the CLUBS area under Dakota.
  • ohc_babyohc_baby Posts: 116
    I'm in Atlanta and looking for someone to AutoX with, come spring. Anyone in the southeast wanna make a few laps with SCCA at Turner Field later on?
  • Was looking into buying a 2001 Ford Ranger or a
    2000 Dakota club cab. Ive always had great luck with Ford trucks but I need to put a car seat in
    the back and the Ranger is to small. I like the looks of the Dakota and the size of the truck is perfect but Ive heard a lot of horror stories about them..bad tranny,engine problems,cheap interior etc..has anyting changed??
    This is my second Dakota, and I am very pleased with the Dakota trucks. I have had manual transmissions, but the new multispeed automatic used in the Dakota (as well as Jeep) has been getting good reviews from owners. I am not certain
    if the rear seat of the club cab will accomadate a child seat. Post this in the Dodge Dakota Owner,s club if you haven' already. Scroll down in the conferences window in the left hand margin.

Bookitty
This discussion has been closed.