Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Dodge Dakota - IV

Comments

• bmwjoebmwjoe Posts: 136
    I put my sons' car seats in the back of the Dakota Club Cab without problem. I usually ride my 8 year old in the front in his car seat with the air bag off and the seat all the way back.
  • Thanks for the help..Ill be off to my local dealer
    and hopefully will be able to make a deal!!
  • For 26089 I get SLT Quad 4x4, Pkg26G,4.7 eng,MS Auto, AS Diff,UR Boxbedliner,4WABS,Fog L,HDSvc Gp,BS Mold,Pwr Bench Seat,Skid Plates, Tire & H Gp,Air,Delux Conv Gp (CC & tilt Steer) 460 Dealer Advert,585 Destinat,385 markup,and 923 Tax,tags,Title,Doc fee etc minus 85 and minus 1000 rebate. Is this a good or average deal? and how do I get the 500 farm rebate (I own some TN farm acreage but live in VA)Also,this includes the new Quad 4x4 factory base of 20419.
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Billy, from some other posting, it may not make a difference in which state you reside. However, one must be a member for thirty (30) days prior to taking delivery. I will post a link for you to access the Farm Bureau, and then you can go to your state. www.fb.com. Someone there can answer your questions. The Dodge $500.00 discount is listed under "member benefits." Good luck and have a happy and healthy new year.

Bookitty
  • What is the real world city/hwy mpg for a Dakota ext. cab 4x4 with 5.2 V8.
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Shawn, my 1995 Club cab Dakota 4X4 with 9:00 X 30 rubber (5 speed) averaged 18-20 MPG. Because I used it for my job, covering 11 states, most often
    I was on limited access highways and toll roads. I
    also had an A.R.E. fiber glass tonneau cover. I did not check every tankful, but when I did, that's where it was. Incidently, my 2000 Quad cab with 4.7 and equipped like my '95 offers me much the same mileage. I am a believer in and user of cruise control. Keeps mileage up and violations down as far as I am concerned.

Bookitty
  • I have a 2000 Club cab Dakota it came with the power 5x7 mirrors. well I went through a car wash two weeks after I got it and one of the mirrors got a big scratch in it so the car was paid me for the mirror. I replaced both with the power 6x9 mirrors much better view. I think that these new mirrors can be heated. does anyone know of a way that I could hook up the heating part so that the would work. They can ice up sometimes up here in Maine. Any info would be welcomed.
  • I've seen a few people mention a Club section for Dakotas. Where is it at? I didn't see a link for clubs.

As a side note, my 1995 Dakota Sport with a 318/auto has 128k miles on it and it's still running great! I haven't had any problems with it and I've only had to perform normal maintenance such as oil changes, brake pads, etc. I'll probably replace it next year with a Dakota R/T.

The only reason I say "probably" is becasue I've seen some articles that basically say you have to spend a pile of money to make it go fast. Anyone in here know the real perfromance numbers for an R/T? I've read a couple of articels where they say it's a dog and show 16 second 1/4 mile times and about a 7.9 second 0-60 time. I've also seen other articles claiming 15 second 1/4 mile times and about 7.5 seconds 0-60. This is pretty slow in either case.

I don't understand why the truck would be so slow. It's about the same weight as my '69 Road Runner with a 383. Also, the HP ratings these days are supposed to be true HP after accessory drives as opposed to the "naked engine" HP ratings of the 1960s. Given that premise, the 360 in the R/T has more "real" HP than my 383 and about as much torque. So why so slow? My Road Runner is in the mid 14s for the 1/4 mile in bone stock trim. If I take the articles I've read at face value, the 0-60 times are about the same as some compact cars and the 1/4 mile times aren't much better. What gives?
  • tuvtesttuvtest Posts: 237
    There are several Dak discussion groups under the "owners clubs" folder
    As far as performance, the 5.9L (360cid) offered in the R/T is first and formost still a truck engine. I am a Mopar fan as well and a quad cab Dakota owner myself, and I wouldn't waste the money on an R/T Dak right now. if you can wait until they come out with the 5.7L V8 or if you need one now, get the 4.7L with a 5-speed, it's pretty peppy.
    Remember it's not neccessarily HP that counts. Torque is what get you moving. you bird has 425 ft/lbs w/ the 383. the 5.9 has 330. also I belive there are more losses with the OD trans's then the old 727's.
  • TuvTest,

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard about the 5.7L coming to the Dakota. That should be a nice engine. Any idea when this engine will show up?

RdRunner
  • steve234steve234 Posts: 460
    The engine is due in the 2003 Rams and as a limited option in the Dakotas. However, the Dakota may be radically changed that model year.
  • ihsalwaysihsalways Posts: 16
    1. Any definite word about 5.9 V-8, or any engine w/ more torque than 4.7, coming to SLT or Sport (not just R/T) ClubCabs?

2. Anyone know when K&N, or other similar, high quality, induction enhancements will be available "off-the-shelf," w/o any madification for 4.7?

3. Anyone know of a quality, goodlooking, across-the-bed,'tuff tool box especially sized to Dakota?
  • hersbirdhersbird Posts: 323
    Well I ordered a 2001 R/T today. It's a regular cab with A/C, rear slider, mats, and max cooling for a tiny bit over $18000 after rebates. The color choices have changed quite a bit from the websites as Intense Blue has been replaced with Atlantic Blue Pearl, and Amber Fire has been dropped and Graphite added. I ordered the Atlantic Blue. Can't wait until this thing arrives, probably in July.
  • lee956lee956 Posts: 4
    Interesting you ordered a 2001 truck on 5/18 - my dealer told me on 5/14 that no more orders were to be accepted by DC (I ordered on 5/9). Please post when your truck comes in.
    I was lead down that road as well by a different dealer. The dealer I bought from told me they were probably just giving me a line to close the sale (called impending doom close). It is possible they had used up all of their allotment, but that is doubtfull. They just keep taking orders until the build dates back up to the shutdown for model year changeover. The Dakota is getting no real changes and is one of the last Chrysler products to make the 2002 change. My build date should be available but I have been too busy at work to get it from the dealer or customer service line. I did get the order number 2 weeks ago, and the customer service line had it in their computer. Barring any big problems at the plant my Dakota should get built before July and take 2 weeks to ship. Have you gotten your build date yet?
  • I'm planning on buying a extracab Dackota 4.7 5spd, it out accelerates my 98 prelude, easy, and my prelude goes from 0-60 in under 7sec. With a K&N filter and some minor exhaust work the hp is close to that of a mustang GT, give or take 10hp, I testdrove one with a 3.88 limited slip rear, it laid down 2 10ft strips when I poped the clutch from 2nd to 3rd
  • pluss it's still about $1000 cheaper than a base 'stang GT
  • that was a 393 rear not a 388
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    The 2001 Dak comes with neither a 3.93 nor a 3.88 rear end.... Was this a "special" dakota you test drove?

BTW I beleive the standard rear end is 3.55.
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    keep up with a mustang...????
    Inquiring minds want to know...
  • correction,a 392 rear, option on the 01 and 02 year models (my fault) but with the 5sp's already close gears, a K&N filter, Borla exhaust, plus a mopar performance chip, the engin will gain about 25-30hp (= to 260-265hp), add that to the relitively light weight, it probably would keep up with a GT converable auto, might even beat it
  • I want to the change the gear ratio in my 98 Dakota 318 from 3.55 to 3.92. Will this effect the speedometer? And is the ring and pinion gears the only gears I would have to change? Thank you for any advice.
  • namfflownamfflow Posts: 202
    Theoretically you would only need to change the ring and pinion. There are other parts to replace such as seals and bearings also, not because they are different but because some items cannot be reused and others it is advisable to replace as a precaution. Unless you have done rears before I would advise having and experienced person do it. I once rebuilt a Chysler 8 3/4 rear because the bearings were shot. The 8 3/4 is one of the easier rears to work on and it was still a pain in the you know what. Setting the backlash is critical to getting a noise free, long lasting rear end.

The speedometer calibration will needed to be corrected. This is a simple reprogaming that can be done by the dealer (assuming OEM or OEM optional tire sizes)
    A 2001 regular cab 4.7 5-speed or 5.9 R/T dakota will run a 14.8 1/4 mile stock. That isn't that far off the mustang's times. Now take into account the 4.7 5-speed after rebates can be had as cheap as $14000 and the R/T as cheap as $17000 and you got a bunch of money leftover to play with until you reach those Mustang GT prices. The Dakota cost's less per horsepower then anything else made, even a stripped Z28.
  • appraiserappraiser Posts: 22
    I've got an intense blue 2000 Quad 2wd 4.7L 5-speed with 30,000 miles on it. Love the truck. However, when I'm at a stop, then accelerate into a turn, I get a whining sound coming from the rear of the truck. Is this normal? I don't think the sound was there a few months ago, but it's not perceptible to anyone but me.

Also, I need new rubber--Goodyear is not good. Sears wants to put P255/70/15 on the truck. Anyone know if this will fit without any negative effects? Thanks for any advice you may have for me.
    A 255/70 on a 2 wheel dak is too tall. You speedometer will be way off.

If you have the 215/75 I would go 255/60 or 255/65 the 60 will be about 3/8 short and the 65 about 3/8 big.

If you want a 70 series I would go 235/70 like the Dunlop Sport Rover GTX.

This is all assuming you are currently running the standard 215/75-15 OEM tires.
    I think you got the wrong number from Sears. That tire would be 29" tall which is about the same as the optional 16" 255/65/16's that come with the wheel and tire package. So the speedometer could be easily calibrated to that size tire. Maybe Sears is just trying to go with something equally tall and wide as the optional 16" package but on the 15" rims. I'm sure it would fit with no problems as far as rubbing goes but I'd agree with namfflow in getting something lower profile then the 70 series, the 255/65/15 would be my choice, but it is not available in many tire lines, where the 255/70/15 is, maybe another reason for Sears' choice. Maybe as long as you're at Sears, buy some wider rims and get the 275/60/15's, that would look pretty tough in my opnion.
  • appraiserappraiser Posts: 22
    That is my plan. I've picked out some tough looking 15" rims to go with the new tires. I'll post a photo as soon as they are installed. If I can ever figure out what tire size to use. I appreciate your input.
    255/60-15 and 255/65-15 are indeed rare but the Pirelli Scorpion Zeros are available in these sizes and in my opinion, the best tire for the Dakota for use on the street. I am a cheapskate and I feel the 100 bucks a tire was worth it to me. I have them on my 97 and will be putting them on my 01 as soon as I can save a few pennies.

The size is perfect for fitting within the wheel wells if you don't have the flares. I know in some areas tires cannot stick out or you get a big fat ticket.

My recomendations were made using the assumtion that the owner was not interested in reprogramming and so on. If they don't mind reprograming, find tires that the OD closely match one of the factory options.

OIf course, in the final analysis everyone needs to use what fits their needs and budget. Thankfully with a truck you aren't as limited on sizes as you are with a car.
This discussion has been closed.