Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Inconsiderate Drivers II (share your stories, etc.)

12345679»

Comments

• fintailfintail Posts: 47,933
    I suspect that was it, whatever it was just hibernated for a while. Then I came along, and it was time to party!

Funny thing, I told a coworker who lives near that location about my woes. He just shook his head, and said he knows better. Maybe the nearly empty parking lot should have been a clue.
    xwesx said:

Killing the bugs depends entirely on how cold and how tolerant of cold they are. Things like freezers and refrigerators don't generally kill microbes, the colder temperatures just slow/suspend their activity. So, if the nasty was there prior the freezing, then it can "come back" after introduction to a nice, warm digestive tract! :(

• andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 10,910
    The NHTSA pads the “speed kills” myth by playing deceptive tricks with numbers.

On their current web page about the dangers of speeding, they claim 26% of all fatalities in 2016 were caused by speeding.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding

This is inherently and explicitly false. Around 3% of all collisions and fatalities can be remotely attributed to speed.

If you look at their blue box of info with 3 button tabs, the first one states that 49% of their 26% figure comes from people that are so dumb they weren’t wearing their seat belts.

The third tab shows that another 37% of that 26% figure was from drunks.

How biased do you need to be to include drunks and non-seat-belt wearers in your stat to blame “speeders?”

So that leaves you with only 14% of the original 26% figure. This is all basic reasonable logic, and doesn’t require advanced math.

14% of 26% is 3.6%. That coincides with the buried studies from the NHTSA/Dept. of Transportation on the Causal factors of Collisions and Fatalities.

Question your sources…. follow the money for the motive. Insurance companies are run by evil humans, and they are running the government. Really no other way to call it.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '16 Kia Optima LX 1.6T
  • ruking1ruking1 Posts: 19,825
    edited February 8
    It also goes without saying, defacto the OVERWHELMING majority (96.4%) of fatalities and injuries are not due to “SPEED.”

It’s also becoming clearer that DWI/DUI, etc., are not confined to the stereotypical, Friday, Saturday NIGHT, popping just one, to commode hugging drunk episodes. Some non specific statistics indicate it’s a 24/7 phenomenon. In fact, I have not seen these statistics in a while, but the average person who drinks while they drive has been so approximately 2000 times before even a casual run in with the law.
    edited February 8
    Speed is a good bogeyman to justify LEO work and insurance profits. In my opinion, it probably works like this: under the influence and speeding = speed. Distracted and speeding = speed. Mental issues and speeding = speed.
    edited February 9
    While your post may or may not be true, it is also my perspective. To adjudicate a (CA) DWI/DUI, etc. I’m told & have readIt takes app $ 10,000 minimum. Insurance premiums naturally rise.
    edited February 9
    I’m not sure I understand given: winter conditions, new tires, new oil change, normal choking commuting, 37.2 mpg (569 miles) /15.3 gal @ app 1,000 miles on new tires & oil change. We don’t add the DEF, (2.5 gal to 5gal +) till low lamp lights.Long story short, all these factors tend to shorten mpg figures.
    fintail said:

Speed is a good bogeyman to justify LEO work and insurance profits. In my opinion, it probably works like this: under the influence and speeding = speed. Distracted and speeding = speed. Mental issues and speeding = speed.

It turns out, even "Asleep at the wheel while exceeding the posted speed limit = speed.
    edited February 9
    Asleep to my uneducated ( I’m not a professional in that industry) perspective falls under “distracted” driving.
    ruking1 said:

Asleep to my uneducated perspective falls under “distracted” driving.

I suppose an argument could be made for that. Asleep is the extreme of "drowsy/fatigued," which is also a major factor in collisions and death. Distracted by your sleepiness? I'll buy it.
    edited February 9
    I’m looking at the ATT Pro Am, Pebble Beach, Spy Glass, Spanish Bay, golf courses. Monterey Bay, area, CA. They are taking just absolutely beautiful coastal Bay shots! CA can be a state of great contrasts. My daughter with friends, one doctor is from Georgia, are going to Lodi, CA for wine tasting. Further northeast, Heavenly Valley ski resort has a 198 in (16.5 ft) snow 86 in base. Snow for CA H20 is at 125% +. Skiing is EXCELLENT!
  • MichaellMichaell ColoradoPosts: 117,663
    Time ... to ... stop. No more political posts.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 126,124
    The political discussion has been removed. Just as though the authors had never existed.

Continued political posts will cause this discussion to be closed, and result in revocation of forums membership.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,592
    Poof
  • ronsteveronsteve LooavulPosts: 649
    fintail said:
    Other than BAC, speed is the one factor that can be measured, so I think law enforcement relies on it as the one offense to ticket. 
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 10,655
    Good move, mods. Thanks.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• ronsteveronsteve LooavulPosts: 649
    Lots of late lane changes yesterday... one spot is 3 lanes in the direction of travel with a freeway ramp maybe 500 feet after a light. Lane 2 splits and lane 3 must exit. The Idiot of the Day came up in lane 3, decided during the split he didn't want to get on the freeway, and proceeded to cross the other ramp lane and the gore in order to go straight.  

This morning at my favorite intersection I was waiting for green to go straight.  Oncoming traffic had green and a driver making his left on the outer of 2 left turn lanes had to honk a driver who thought it really was a free right turn. 
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    Took a drive up and down 405 earlier today. Roads mostly bare and dry, or bare with ice treatment. Lots of LLCers, as the left lane seemed a little more bare than the right, and the timid souls who maybe shouldn't be driving anyway just camped out there. Lightly traveled residential streets canbe dicey, but most arterials seem OK - the authorities are doing a decent job with this snow event compared to those in the past, they get credit where it is due.
    edited February 10
    LEO dig outs?

Following snow removal rigs on the main roads is fun (if that can be fun) but most have those rear sand/salt/mixture spreaders, so that’s a tad destructive to one’s front end.

South Lake Tahoe, CA snow removal is still fun to watch, even after all these years. It almost mimics harvesting grain/corn. For some reason, it does not seem to disturb the “stoopids” in the car traffic flow.

Residencial areas seem to get slightly less priority, so equipment like road graders, etc., do the chores. We get a local service to do the property for each snow season. So we can get into the garage, where, when the snow is 1 foot to 10 feet.

Overall, low to no traffic flows are bad for business.

F150 coupes? Are the coupes getting smaller/bigger? https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/10/fastback-ford-f-150-michigan-vehicle-solutions/
    edited February 10
    It's sweet reading about people who deal with this on a very occasional basis -- it's a way of life in many places. Seattle is probably better than Atlanta, but it's up to discussion as to the degree. Edmonton and Montreal are my benchmarks.

Party on.
    edited February 10
    He certainly travels in areas with lots of “stupid” young drivers & snow removal city managers! Yes, the snotty attitudes make it extra fun to party on, Garth.
    Well, they may be young or they may be something else, the discussion of which would render the situation political, no doubt.
    edited February 10

Well, they may be young or they may be something else, the discussion of which would render the situation political, no doubt.

In regards to snow/ice removal? One thing that comes to mind are whole bunches of pissed off young city dwellers (with drag the road suspensions & expensive high speed rating tires) yelling @ city managers & elected officials @ the council meetings (for undercarriage damage) & access issues, seasonal accidents.

But it would be fun to see the Northwest winter/snow accident versions. Besides, wasn’t global warming supposed to get rid of WA state snow & winters ?🤴👸 or so sez the young kings/queens? DILLY, DILLY! No real surprise why WA is/was ill equipped for winter’s snow? 🤪 The youngest city dwellers probably denied ever telling city staff & elected officials to go surfing USA (monies for others things, party party) on the snow removal budget.

It’s NO brainer in SLT, CA. Probably way even less drama, if the meeting records & TV broadcasts are any indicators. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Indeed, I can’t even recall a (caused, let alone someone else causing one on me) seasonal accident in over 55 years @ SLT, CA. . It must be the Alzheimer’s 👨‍🚒

Speaking of global warming, even the caddies are wearing long pants! Caddies don’t wear long pants! 😎 at the AT&T [email protected] Pebble Beach, Monterey, CA.
    edited February 10

It's sweet reading about people who deal with this on a very occasional basis -- it's a way of life in many places. Seattle is probably better than Atlanta, but it's up to discussion as to the degree. Edmonton and Montreal are my benchmarks.

Party on.

Benchmarks for me are in upstate NY. 😱☃️ Studded rear tires on a 70 VW Beetle was total overkill.

One daughter spent 3 winters in/out of Atlanta. I guess going to/from South/North Lake Tahoe earlier in her life made winter driving in Atlanta’s a no brainer. I was told a lot of “issues/gas” because of occasional ice and snow.
This discussion has been closed.