Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Why does my idle fluctuate

1973_Chargergirl1973_Chargergirl Member Posts: 1
edited December 2018 in Toyota
I have a 2003 matrix XRS. VVTL-I. 6 speed manual. My idle goes up and down from 1800 up to 5000 RPMs at times. Only happens when it’s in gear it’s weird because you can kick it down like an old-school carberated engine. have changed the idle air control senser, cleaned the throttlebody checked all the air hoses for vacuum leaks, air filter and box. .... been screwing around with this thing for months and months. No one else will drive it - they say it’s possessed. I think it is Lol. .its not throwing any codes ? It seems mechanical more than computer because you can kick it down Any ideas ? I absolutely love my car but it’s going to kill me one day It wants to go when I need to stop or slow down.

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You mean it surges up and down from 1800 to 5000 at idle, repeatedly, on its own, or do you mean it sometimes gets stuck at 5,000 and stays there unless you punch it?