Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

WA license but live in OH - lease question

ChrisAelChrisAel Posts: 8
edited December 2018 in General
Hi, I live in Ohio but have a Washington State license. If I want to lease a car, will I need to get an Ohio license first?

Also, an unrelated question.. I emailed a dealership in Indiana about a lease quote and was told that because of Ohio tax laws, they are unable to lease out of state. Does that sound right?

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Everywhere, USAPosts: 127,848
    ChrisAel said:

Hi, I live in Ohio but have a Washington State license. If I want to lease a car, will I need to get an Ohio license first?

Also, an unrelated question.. I emailed a dealership in Indiana about a lease quote and was told that because of Ohio tax laws, they are unable to lease out of state. Does that sound right?

Thanks a lot!

1) Ohio likely has a requirement that you have to have an Ohio license, within 30 days of moving to Ohio. So, either way, you should probably get that done. It is likely to be a sticking point in registering the vehicle, even if the bank doesn't require it.

2) Indiana has some weird reciprocity rules with sales tax. I bought there, and Indiana actually collected the tax for my state. Other states (including Ohio) don't do that. They just give you a non-resident title, and you pay the tax in your own state. If Ohio was a monthly payment tax state (like Indiana), then it would be easy. But, Ohio collects the full tax upfront, which complicates it.

Seems hard to believe that they couldn't lease a vehicle to an Ohio resident. It might just be that they aren't willing to go through the trouble.

Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Thank you for your response. I'll work on getting my Ohio license.