Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you experience loading issues with the login/register form, please completely disable ad blocker or use an incognito or in-private window to log in.

Petroleum or Synthetic oil for my pickup truck?

Comments

• Semi-synthetics or synthetic blends or whatever they're called???
    I know they're about the same cost as dino, but would you get some of the benefits of full synthetic(easier starts, etc..)???
    Just curious.
  • gimpyrxgimpyrx Posts: 198
    Go with 100% synthetic.
  • Dino/syn blends tend to be mostly dino juice...up to 90 percent. I agree with the gimp...go full synthetic.
  • I have been using the Harley Davidson 20W50 oil in my 80 cu in Electraglide and changing filter and oil at 3000 miles. Engine is beginnning to "loosen up" a little as I can detect clacking sounds when hot. If I change to a synthetic 20W50 now, will this lead to leaks and blow by? I am planning to use Mobil 1 in my new Dodge Quad Cab at first oil change at about 3700 miles.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,054
    Interesting name. Why wait till 3700 miles for first oil change? What mobil 1 are you planning on using? A little detail would go a long way.
  • amoralesamorales Posts: 196
    Corvettes, Beemers, Vipers, Porsches all come with Mobil 1 at factory. No break-in needed.
  • I have been using mobil 1 for a few years & I thinks it works great. I know it helps on start ups and MPG,s. I use it on my new F-250 & my wifes explorer sport trac. I buy it in a five quart jug at wal-mart for $17, it's the cheapest anywhere by far.
  • I would like to try using M1 in my 96 Ram 5.9. Which weight should I use??
  • bessbess Posts: 972
    What ever the owners manual calls for
  • vwracervwracer Posts: 90
    1st, I have heard AMSOL is the best, but I'll never know. I DO NOT purchase anything from pyramid systems or direct only sales. If I can't buy it at a local store, I DON'T BUY IT.

2nd, from all the info I've gathered over the years synthetic oil has far exceeded the technology of the $2.50 disposable oil filter. You must still change the filter every 5000 miles.

3rd, I have been driving VWs for years and it is believed by several VW engine builders that you should never use synthetic oil in any kind of air cooled engine. synthetic oil repels heat, and an air cooled engine depends on the oil to help remove heat from the heads.

I have just bought a brand new truck, and I will switch to synthetic after about 7000 miles, then I will change the oil and filter every 5000 miles.

Just my thoughts.
    Pyramid? Get real.
  • mrbid1mrbid1 Posts: 4
    I use Mobil synthetic oil and filter in my truck. I have a friend that is trying to get me to change to Royal Purple brand oil. Can anyone tell me how Royal Purple and Amsoil compare to Mobil. I thought Mobil suppose to be the leader in the industry. Thanks!
    Amsoil spanks'em ALL!
  • bessbess Posts: 972
    I agree that Amsoil is a good quality oil.. But to refer to Amsoil's site for the 'proof' is absurd.. Of course Amsoils site is going to say that it's oil is far superior to any other synthetic..
    Funny, Mobil 1 claims the same thing..
  • I have a lot to learn about synthetics. Guess I can change at any time with a new engine. I suppose I would use Mobil1 in a 5-30W. I saw Amsoil pitchman at the 2001 bike show in Austin. Talk and demos and details. Still, I feel better with a national brand I can buy anywhere.
    at 1000 miles. On my Denali, I changed to Lubriplate at 300 miles. Don't know if it will make a difference in the long run....just seemed like a good idea at the time. Oh and I used 10-30w.
    bess.....Mobil 1 will not print it on the back of every bottle.....Amsoil will ,and does..no law suits yet.

salty.....Order it right to your house...how easy can it be?

BTW....Amsoil first since 1972.....Mobil, copy cat.
    Lubriplate since 1870....

http://www.lubriplate.com/

Lubri-who.... WRONG ANSWER, we are talking synthetics.
  • rayt2rayt2 Posts: 1,208
    You did go to the website Obyone posted didn't you ?? If you have not heard of Lubriplate then you must be a young one, it's been around for a long time.

Ray T.
    Reread your statement....here in fact I'll copy and paste it for you...

"BTW....Amsoil first since 1972.....Mobil, copy cat.

Now do you state synthetic? Not that I can see. But lubriplate makes synthetic...do you know when they started? Not that it really matters since I believe we are talking about synthetic vs. dino.

AAAND, the bottom line is 1870 is 102 years before 1972 last time I checked my math.....
    When was lubrijunk synthetic API rated?
    Now you can check your math.

rayt2...yes I did....we are talkin synthetics, care less about dino oils.
    Lubriplate is an ISO 9001/QS 9000 certified company.....what could that possibly tell you about them....hmmmmmm
    believe Amway sells a bottle of graphite additive for around 20 bucks. Love those 500,000 mile GM 350 engines. You know, the Chevy truck engines that were rubbed down with Arcographite or Molygraph oil in the 70's to survive to the present.

Don't foget to use OEM filters to cut down on filtering out all the graphite.
  • If anyone is looking for cheapest place for mobil 1 . Walmart sells it in the 5 quart jug for about $17. By the way I use 5w30 in my 01' F-250, you just can'nt beat this oil. The truck runs, sounds & feels smoother. I'am sure the other fully synthetics do the same, but I like to stick with the major brands.
  • xyz71xyz71 Posts: 179
    I bought 7 quarts at Target today - $2.94 per quart. Walmart was selling it at the same price, but now they are back up to $4.24.

I did buy 2 extra PF 59 oil filters at Walmart - they just started stocking them. Must have been a 100 of them $2.73 each.

I now have a stock pile of 4 PF 59 filters and 14 quarts of Mobile 1 - both my chevy trucks just got changed so I should be set for 2002.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 8,373
    ... a few holes where posts USED to be. Let's leave the "smack" off the boards, OK?

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Edmunds Moderator

Need some roadside assistance? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Just purchased or leased a vehicle? Share your vehicle reviews

PF_Flyer's 2014 Versa Note Long Term Blog
    How To Start Your Own Long Term Blog

• adc100adc100 Posts: 1,521
    Mobil invented synthetic oil in 1948. The fluid was used in aircraft and helped construct the Alaska pipeline (also went to the moon). They are the largest supplier of PAO's (polyalphaolefins), main ingredient in "true synthetic fluids" in the world. It is highly possible that Amsoil purchases their PAO's from Mobil. Amsoil was the first to offer syns in commercial vehicles. Note-I am not really knocking Amsoil. In fact if I find that Mobil 1 digresses to hydrocracked hydrocarbons the way Valvoline, Pennzoil and Syntec has I'll switch to Amsoil. There are by the way two publications published by SAE on the development of Mobil 1's Tri-Syn (Pub#'s 95126 and 98144) very objective and informative.

http://www.sae.org/servlets/search

This discussion has been closed.