Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota Highlander Real World MPG

Comments

• herzogtum71herzogtum71 Posts: 470
    Everything I have driven so far:

68,066 miles divided by 2,722.9 gallons = 25.0 miles per gallon
  • jpettibonejpettibone Posts: 51
    Since there are not many 2009 4 cyl HL owners out there right now, I thought I would start posting our MPG. Our 1st tank went for 22.44 MPG in mostly in-town driving. Our 2nd tank went for 23.32 MPG, and that included about 100 miles of highway. Overall, we're getting close to or better MPG than the 2004 CR-V this replaced. I'm hoping it improves a bit as the engine breaks in, but overall we're really pleased, especially for the size of the car.
  • ricschricsch Posts: 540
    For an accurate mpg read, I wouldn't go by the computer as they are more of an estimate.

Do the math of # of miles driven divided by the numbers gallons of fuel used for a more accurate figure.

At 16mpg, I might as well keep my full-size 4wd crew cab truck!
  • steve209steve209 Posts: 2
    have a 2008 highlander AWD limited. Range from 18-22 in town and 25 highways

A few comments I run synthetic oil and keep tire pressure up at the maximum. The transmission the highlander allows you to shift to neutral going down a hill and then back in when you need power, so if you drive it like a stick it can save you some gas mileage.

Best highway mileage seems to be around 60 MPH ( up to 27 MPG on a long trip, but that is slow) , If you buy gas the has ethanol in it will reduce you MPG About 5 MPG.
  • steverstever Posts: 52,462
    Actually you use more gas coasting in neutral than you do coasting in gear. In neutral, you're burning gas to keep the engine running. In gear, the coasting keeps the engine turning and the fuel injection shuts down.

Counter-intuitive, I know.

Plus coasting in neutral is illegal most places since it's not the safest practice.
  • steve209steve209 Posts: 2
    I said going downhill not costing.Going downhill in nuetral no transmisson breaking , speed increases ( M=M*V) all with less fuel, MPG computer of the highlaner engine RPM's drop & real time MPG indicator shoots way up. Could be

As far as it being illegal to shift my car how I want thankfully I do not live in that part of the USA. Yes I am a good driver and don't tailgate etc. .
    Going downhill in neutral uses more gas than going downhill in gear. The drivetrain isn't turning the engine in neutral so you have to burn gas to keep the motor running.

Going downhill in gear, the drivetrain turns the engine over and the fuel injection shuts off.

Electronic gas gauges or a Scangauge II aren't going to be accurate in that situation I don't think.

Hypermilers will disagree.

Oh yeah, others say that going downhill in neutral is not good for your transmission; something about not getting oil to the gears.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    I said going downhill not costing.

If you're in neutral then you're coasting whether it's downhill, uphill or flat.

Going downhill in nuetral no transmisson breaking

I'm glad your transmission isn't breaking but I think you meant braking.

( M=M*V)

M = M*V ?? Therefore, V = 1?

all with less fuel

And you do this while not exceeding posted speed limits?

Yes I am a good driver and don't tailgate etc.

An uninformed person might regard your position as an oxymoron arguing that you cannot be a good driver without your transmission engaged. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • I have about 5000 miles on my 09, V6 Limited. Just returned from a round trip to NY. Averaged around 27 hwy...70+ mph, and seem to be getting about 22 city. Happy camper. :D
  • glostaglosta Posts: 1
    I have been babying my 09 V6 60mph, highway only getting 22.5mpg have 2300 miles on it. Are you running super or reg gas? Getting 20 city any suggestions?
  • Using reg 87 octane. In town mileage has slipped a little because my wife doesn't seem to comprehend the easy throttle, light break concept. Hey, it's her car, lol. With her driving we get between 20 and 22 mpg in town. Still getting 25 to 27 hi-way, depending on who's driving.
  • Anyone have any MPG numbers for 2008 & 2009 V6 4X4?
  • I have 21,000 miles on my '08 HL LTD 4x4 and have averaged about 19-21 around town and 24-27 highway.
  • 6000 miles on this 2009 stripped down version and we get 22/23 around the coast of Florida where we live and ONLY 21.6 on the highway - Florida Turnpike- average speed 80mph pulling 2350 revs -- this is absurd....
    fueleconomy.gov says the car is only supposed to get 18/24 vs the sticker saying 20/27 range for the highway is supposed to be 22-32 ( in someone's dream!)

Toyota response is drive at 55mph -- Florida Highway Patrol cautions NOT to do that as the average speed on the TPK is 80 mph.....

Looks like Toyota may have a legal issue here...........
    tony
  • I can see you getting 25/26 MPG if you slowed down to around 65 MPH, is it really heavy traffic on the Florida turnpike?
  • warm1warm1 Posts: 4
    Mixed MPG is 25. car has almost 9K miles on it. Earlier this year I put about 5K miles on it on a drive from one end of the Louisiana Purchase to the other(Houston to Oregon), and averaged 30 MPG and 75mph while on the highway.
    I really wanted the GMC Acadia, but Detroit didn't produce a large SUV(90 cubic feet or more) with a reasonable fuel economy at the time.
  • I recently purchased a 2006 Highlander Limited V6 4X4 with the third-row seat. The vehicle has 52,000 miles on it. Bought it Certified Pre-Owned.

The mpg is awful and seems to be way out of line with what I'm reading here. I live in the country, so most of my driving is constant, highway speed. Very little stop and go. Very little idling.

I'm doing the actual math, rather than relying on the digital readout. So far, I've put about 2,300 miles on the car and my best tank yielded 16.9 mpg. Basically, I'm hovering between 16 and 17 mpg.

Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions I can take to the dealer?

HELP!!! :lemon:
  • The EPA rating is 17/23. How fast do you go on the highway?
  • Getting about 16 mpg around town and wondering if my air/fuel sensor could be going bad and causing it to run rich. I also have a smell of gas in the garage after driving. No leaks that I can see. Also have the dreaded CEL come on after an inspection due to a hose off the air cleaner. Got the P1150 code but cleared the code, cleaned the front sensor contacts at the connector and hasn't come back on. But wondering if sensor could be going bad.
    Any thoughts from the collective brain trust?
    Thanks!
  • Wow! 27 hwy, you must be a very good driver and rarely use the brake.

Now I have 1000 miles on my 09, V6 base 4X4. The average is 20/21 for mixed city/hwy, I used "Snow mode" in the 3rd tank but didn't get any better than regular driving, there is somebody said "Snow mode" may improve mileage a lot but I am wondering if this would hurt engine in the long term.
  • My wife has a relatively new '09 V6 Limited with about 750 miles on it, and she is getting about 19.6 mostly city driving.
  • kkd1kkd1 Posts: 1
    I bought my 2009 Highlander a couple months ago- not even 1000 miles on it yet. It started out getting 18 mpg in town, then 15, then 13. Today it used 1/4 tank of gas in 20 miles. There has to be something wrong, but what?
    My minivan has averaged 21 mpg lifetime over the last nine years. But the first ten tanks varied between 11 and 20mpg. It really didn't settle in with consistent mpg until 3,000 miles, and even then it kept creeping up over the years. It didn't hit the EPA rating until 7,000 miles.

I'd try to fill the Highlander consistently (i.e., no partial tanks, fill it just to the first click, and even use the same pump every time if you can), and keep good paper records for the next 2,000 miles. Then you'd have reason to worry that something is wrong if the mileage doesn't approach the EPA estimates.

In the meantime, there's not much you can do about "winter" gas, but these tips may help.
  • Just wanted to post that with about 6k on our 2009 4 cyl. Highlander, we're averaging right at 23 MPG. We do a mix of highway and city driving, but no long mostly highway trips yet. Overall, we've satisfied with the mileage and power. We're getting about the same mileage as we got with the 2003 4wd CR-V we replaced, but with a lot more space and comfort.
  • tjcattjcat Posts: 3
    I have an 09 Sport with just over 4300 miles on it. I drive a very short commute (2 miles each way) to and from work. When I bought the car this summer I was getting 16.5-17 MPG on all my tanks for this same in-town driving. For the last 2 months (November to now in KS) I am only averaging 13.5 or worse! I have taken it to the dealer and they claim nothing is wrong. We even took it on the highway at the holidays and going got only 15.5 but managed 20.5 on the way back. I am VERY disappointed in the mileage. Our V8 4x4 Silverado does better than this! Any suggestions from anyone? Should I get a second opinion from another dealership or give it more time (I realize I drive short distance in stop and go and it is winter)?
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Posts: 195
    Only 4300 miles.....short commute.....winter blend gasoline.....you have nothing to worry about. It will get better.
    I hope so. I can't justify keeping it if it doesn't. Our truck is doing better and the HL was supposed to be our better MPG vehicle.
  • I agree. I have the 2009 Toyota Highlander Limited 4x4; my last FULL tank of gas got me only 230 miles...230 miles in a 19.2 gallon tank! It's awful...I cannot stand the mileage on this car. I'm considering trading it in because of it's awful mileage.

I do city & highway driving. I drive to work and it's about 10 miles round-trip. I only reached 24MPG ONE time since owning the car...and that was after driving highway for close to an hour. I have never, ever been in the 20's other than that day.

:mad:
    I've got trade in thoughts as well. I LOVE the car otherwise. It handles well, did awesome in the crazy blizzard we had over the holidays, but we already have one gas guzzler. This thing would have qualified as a clunker this summer! When I questioned it with the service advisor at my dealership, he didn't believe me when I told him the window sticker said 17 and had to go look for himself. The service manager told me to give it time, "they don't fully break in until 15K miles". I'm not sure I can wait that long.
  • beachfish2beachfish2 Richmond VAPosts: 177
    How many gallons did you put in when you filled up. I'm assuming you didn't run the entire 19.2 gallon tank bone dry. I know my '06 Avalon still has 3.5 gallons left in it when the low gas light comes on. It's an 18.5 gallon tank; minus the 3.5 reserve leaves 15 and that's a typical fill-up for me.

Doing a little math in my head, if you refilled when the light came on you might have only used 16 gallons or maybe even as little as 15.5 gallons. I've only had my 2010 Limited a couple of weeks and I haven't measured my reserve yet. Anyway, 230 miles divided by 16 gallons equals 14.375 mpg. Not too far off from the 17 they claim.

I had a 1978 Datsun B210 with an engine so tight that it didn't break in until it had 12,000 miles on it and then the gas mileage increased by 50%. I don't think a Toyota will do that well in this day and age, but some improvement is expected.

John