Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 Owners - Give Us Your Report

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Congratulations on your new car! This is the place to post your first impressions.

Comments

• rlawrencerlawrence Member Posts: 92
    This car was a no brainer for me. I saw stories about it back in early April and I was sold immediately when I learned that a manual transmission would be offered. And then when I saw the price, I nearly flipped with excitement because the Touring Edition came with my favorite accessories: moonroof and fog lights.

I made it official yesterday, July 31, with the purchase of a cardinal red Touring Edition with manual transmission and no navigation - a combination that is difficult to find. Maybe the initial exuberance over the manual will wane, but if these boards are any indication, there are definitely a lot of clutch and shift fans out there. SIDEBAR: If you want a manual, stick to your guns. Don't let a salesperson try to convince you an automatic is a better choice because they supposedly have better resale value; the truth is they don't.

For bobw3, I will take a photos this evening to show how comfortable the middle row of seats is. I am of average height, 5' 9" and I have more than enough space, but I cannot say what the level of comfort will be for those in the long legs club. Keep in mind, middle row space can be affected by how far back the front row passengers like their seats. Of course the great thing is that the middle row seats also move fore and aft for greater versatility.
  • bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    We are waiting for a cardinal red Sport with manual transmission and moonroof at our local dealership. The salesperson said it would arrive in six weeks about two weeks ago. We wanted phantom blue with these options but would have to order and this may take several months. I'm hoping the cardinal red is not too pinkish. I read in an older thread that cardinal had a pinkish hue. Have you noticed this?
    "I read in an older thread that cardinal had a pinkish hue. Have you noticed this?"

Is it a bright red or deep red? No. I would call it more of a desert red or maybe an anemic red. Actually that is why it was acceptable for me because it wasn't so red. Here's a picture of mine I took on Sunday.

• frank4carsfrank4cars Member Posts: 98
    I would call it a coral or salmon red. It shifts alittle from a more coppery color to that slightly pinker version depending on the light. And the best advice on the color I can give you is to look at it yourself. You're not going to buy it sight unseen, are you? If you like it, get it. Simple as that. I know I was happy to see that it wasn't the same bright red I see on MZ3s. This is pretty classy for this kind of vehicle.
    "I would call it a coral or salmon red."

Thank you. Salmon red is a perfect description. Actually, my first choice was the stratos blue, but no one had one in stock in a touring edition manual with no navigation. When I looked at the red, I was pleased. Of course, if I had been more patient and waited 10 days (I didn't think they would arrive that soon - Mazda said end of August), I could have had the stratos blue (I checked inventories online), however, I am quite pleased with my choice.
  • kevkkevk Member Posts: 4
    The dealer I was working with had a cardinal red model which had all of the options I wanted. After deciding to buy I had my wife come to the dealer to have a test drive. I was trying to convince myself that the cardinal red was a bronzish red color as I waited for her to arrive. My 3 year old daughter got out of the car and immediately asked if we were going to drive "the white one or the pink one."

That was enough - I had them find me a carbon grey from another dealer. I would definitely suggest viewing the cardinal red in sunlight before buying (ordering)!
  • whipped95whipped95 Member Posts: 46
    Coming from a redfire Mazda6, I was a bit dissapointed at the cardinal red on the 5. It just didn't look right in mid daylight. Redfire made the 6 look sexy, I would imagine it would do the same for the 5. Oh well we settled for a carbon gray and love it. It gets plenty of compliments and attention :). Just look before you buy, BIG difference in person. Plantinum silver actually looks more of a tan/bronze in most lighting conditions.
  • bwatersbwaters Member Posts: 52
    So... After seeing this photo, one vote yes for my wife and two votes no for my daughters. I know who is boss in my home! Hey, I got to pick out our last new car, color and all. It's my wife's turn to pick the color. I realize that Phantom Blue is not available for several months and Cardinal Red looks nice in this picture.... Should we wait for a Phantom Blue?
    Hey, if it were up to my daughter I would be driving a new Escalade with the chrome front end and 22 in dubs (suddenly she is really into Cadillacs and the 300). Have you called 800-639-1000? The nice folks there can tell you when models will be arriving at dealerships in your area (although they can be off by a week or two - had they known the color I initially wanted would arrive a week earlier, I probably would have waited, but now I really love my Salmon err, Cardinal Red M'5).

What part of the country are you in?
  • r2kr2k Member Posts: 25
    rlawrence said:

"Have you called 800-639-1000? The nice folks there can tell you when models will be arriving at dealerships in your area"

Who/where does this number call?

Do they know what's on the next boat-load coming in?.

That would be very useful since I am looking for an auto touring W/O nav (maybe Phantom Blue...need to see that color for real first), and the local dealer claims not to know what might be "on the boat".

Thanks
    800-639-1000 is a Mazda customer service number. I got the number from a rep at Mazda who called me back after I wrote a letter to HQ about getting an early peek at the car.

Don't limit yourself to one dealer though. I am sure there are at least three or four dealers within 100 miles of you if you live in a more rural part of the country. I was fortunate because I am in SoCal, there are about 20 or so dealers to pick from. Also, have you used the inventory lookup system at www.mazda5.com?
  • r2kr2k Member Posts: 25
    rlawrence:

Thank you very much for that info.

I am in a "rural" area....the next 3 nearest dealers are about 75-90 miles away, and then more in the Portland, Oregon area.

I have been checking their stock on the Mazda USA web site, so know what they should have on hand.

I want to see some other colors (local dealer has a charcoal gray and a platinum silver), so will have to make a road trip soon.

None of the other dealers have a model/color I am interested in, but I still want to check out several other colors in person.

I will give that number a call and see if they can tell me what might be coming into this area of Oregon.

Thanks.
  • frgjbfrgjb Member Posts: 10
    It's been great driving my M5 since receiving it this past Tuesday. The engine is super quiet. The handling - especially the cornering and navigating in tight spaces - is superb. The 5spd is plenty zippy and responsive. Had my wife and two kids with me today, went shopping, and my wife really loaded up. With the two rear seats folded down, there was more than enough space for the purchases and the three small suitcases that we had packed for the weekend away. After owning minivans for 13 years, I was happily surprised with the M5's cargo space.
    I also had 5 11-year old boys with me in the car last night. They got a little wild, but the seat fabric and floor carpet looks no worse for the wear. It stood up really well.
    I couldn't be happier than I am with this vehicle. I'm looking forward to many miles of fun and economical driving.
  • dcdingodcdingo Member Posts: 21
    Well, we took the plunge and bought a touring automatic Mazda 5 in November, just as the repair kits were coming back in. It was the only vehicle that met our need to have something compact that could occasionally carry four children without putting one of them in the front seat.
    Coming from a Subaru Outback it seems so quiet and smooth. While missing the AWD in some of the recent Washington DC weather, I DO NOT miss the 2.5 liter OB's famous engine/auto transmission mismatch at around 35 mph as you try to merge on the freeway. The Mazda 5's power is always available, and I really like the "kick" at 3,000 RPM which gives confidence in highway situations. If you've experienced the insanity of the 270-Beltway split you'll appreciate the option of overtaking as well as letting the lunatics go by.
    Our kids love their separate 2nd row seats and fold away table, plus the "slidey" doors. Of course my wife hates the sliding doors as it's a feature that says "van." But she loves the sunroof, her first. And she likes curious people who come up and ask "is it a hybrid?" I guess in silver it sort of has that look.
    The real dilemma will be in summer when we weigh whether to install a tow bar and risk voiding the warranty. It would be so good for carrying a couple of bikes and towing our small boat all of a mile to the ramp.
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    Ha, ha, ha...

I'm very familiar with the 270-Beltway split (and you MD drivers :P )

I did noticed the other day that fully loaded (for us, its Me, wife, 2.5 yr kid and stroller) there wasn't much power left on the top end for high speed passing like my MZ3. In the MZ3, it seems to build speed slowly, but it would keep building all the way to redline. In the MZ5, it dropped off as it got toward 5-6k rpms.
  • rollsroyce1rollsroyce1 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 5 for a month now and have 2200 miles on the car. I previously owned a Chevy Astro LT AWD. Not only does my 5 out perform the Astro in every aspect, I do not
    miss the slight luggage space the Astro has over the five.
    When looking at the interior space people need to put things in perspective. I very rarely used the added space
    in the Astro. It is kind of like a single person buying
    a Chevy Suburban to drive to and from work with. Its just not needed. If you move the second row seats ahead about
    3 inches in the 5 I have put 5'10" passengers in the third seat without complaints. As far as power is concerned, with
    the car loaded with people, I have plenty of power to maintain a 75 mph freeway speed and if I shift into 4th
    gear of my 5 speed I have plenty of passing power. Remember
    that 5th gear is an overdrive and was not ment to be used for hills and passing. How fast does a person need to go?
    I love my 5 and look forward to driving my daughter to and from school on a daily basis and bring three or for of her friends home from school in the evenings.
  • bmclaughlin1bmclaughlin1 Member Posts: 19
    A little over two weeks ago my wife and I traded our 2003 Mazda Protege 5 in on a 2006 Mazda 5 Touring model.

We swapped out the 6 disc cd changer for the 6 disc mp3 player ($400.00 extra charge).

So far we are very pleased with the vehicle. It has more than enough power for us and handles the hills and mountains of NE Penna. with no problem. A few times the van was loaded with six adults and it handled fine.

The mp3 6 disc changer works well and we are getting about 26 mpg, mostly around town. It hasn't been too hot yet, but the climate control system seems to work fine. It is quiet and runs smoothly.

It is a light green color (I forget what Mazda calls it). So far we are very pleased with our purchase.
  • carknologist1carknologist1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am a new M-5 owner. Purchased it back in May 06. I already have 5500 miles on mine. (I drive alot) So far, the car has been great. My mileage ranges from a low of 19 (stuck in traffic on a 100 degree day) to a best of 28 mpg on one long hwy run. All the magazines complain about a lack of power. I have not found this to be true. I won't win any drag races, but I have no trouble beating or merging into traffic. Even with 6 on board. On Mon I will be bringing mine in for a few issues that have cropped up: 1) I have a coolant leak somewhere. I can smell the honey-sweet smell each time the cooling fan comes on but I can not see or find it! I have noticed the level in the reservoir has gone down a little since I first got it. 2) I have a "squeak' in my right rear suspension. Quite noticeable over those pesky speed bumps in parking lots. 3)Finally, just yesterday, I noticed that btw 10 mph on up (especially btw 20-40 mph)there is a very unsettling "clunk" in the area of the left front wheel if you come off, and then back on the gas. Since this is a front drive vehicle, I know that the front axle is right by my left foot. I have had many FWD vehicles before and have never heard this "clunk" noise. I figure it may be front end "slop". But it seems a little excessive to me. Other than these issues, I love my M-5. It's a blast to drive. Handles as good as, and in some cases, better than many cars I have owned(MANY being the operative word). I love having auto climate control. Just set the temperature and forget it. The nav system is nice. Now I don't have to carry any maps. My favorite feature is the way it looks. Just love it. MAZDA did a great job of making a "van" look aggressively sporty in an understated, clean way. Kudos to MAZDA.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    You didn't say whether you have an A/T or M/T. With Mazdas and A/T if you let up on the throttle right at the point they are up-shifting you sometimes get a loud thunking noise, even a jerking motion. It happened a couple times with my Protegé at 40mph when it was up-shifting to overdrive and I lifted off the throttle. From then on I made sure it up-shifted before letting up or let up before 40-41mph.

If your driving style changes as you get use to the MZ5, keep in mind that modern cars'onboard computers make adjustments to fit your style. If you change from time to time it messes up those settings.

fowler3
  • wxcrawlerwxcrawler Member Posts: 9
    I get that radiator smell occassionally, too......maybe once a week. I do not notice a drop in the fluid levels. I had my local Mazda dealer check it out with a pressure test, and they found no leaks. They said one other person had come in complaining of the same thing, and they found no leaks with that one either. The Service Manager talked to one of the Mazda, N.A. reps to see if this was a common problem, and apparently it was not. They said there isn't much they can do about it, since there doesn't seem to be any leaking. I continue to try to keep a close eye on the fluid levels.

Please post the results of your inspection if they find something wrong with the coolant system.

Thanks,
    Lee
  • mrmcc33mrmcc33 Member Posts: 6
    We've had our 5 for about a week now. Took a 500 mile round trip road trip to take the 3 month old and 90lb dog to see all the grandparents. Absolutely no complaints. Drove everything from the PA turnpike to twisties in the mountains, and I could throw it around with the same reserved abandon (oxymoron?) that I did with my little commuter ION (underrated engine/chassis, but terrible asthetics). Got about 27 mpg, but that's with a few fifteen minute idles with the auto air on for some baby feeding breaks.

Came home, cleaned it up again and am just as pleased. I really feel like I got a lot for what I paid. Two questions/comments people always made. One is, "what is it?" No one has seen these or even knows about them yet. The other is that they can't believe what we paid for what we got. My wife drives it to the school where we work and parents and teachers both go nuts over it.

That's it. Raving over. I love the 5.

MM
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    I would echo MM's sentiments. We have just over 1400 km on our platinum silver GT manual after picking it up two weeks ago. We have had no problems to date.

I continue to be impressed with how flexible the interior space is. We came from owning a Nissan Axxess, which is in many ways similar to the 5. We liked the Axxess too for its practicality and reliability but the 5 is a huge step up in refinement. The ride is much quieter, MUCH more nimble, and quicker. The 5 is by no means powerful, but i find there is lots of zoom to get up to speed and merge into traffic, overtake others, even with a full load. Averaging about 8.1 L/100 on the highway is also a big improvement for us.

The driver's seating position is excellent (i am 6'3" or 190 cm tall) but sitting in the passenger seat next to the driver, i have very limited knee room with the seat all the way back (this just means that i get to drive more!). Lots of head room everywhere. The lack of arm rest on the passenger seat next to the driver is a glaring omission.

The Axxess had tinted windows and we immediately tinted the 5's windows for $CAD280 - that was well worth it. This has probably helped out the A/C which we have found to work very well. I like the fact that you can override the auto climate control when the air con is on. We have also rust proofed and undercoated it as we plan to drive it for 10 years or more. We have also purchased seat covers that are not available in Canada from the US and they will arrive next week.

I could go on and on, but both of us love this car. It is SO FUN to drive, especially with the manual transmission. And it is the first new car either of us have ever owned.
  • boytoysboytoys Member Posts: 8
    Can you share with us where you have purchased your car seats cover for the 5 ? a Link would be nice. I am trying to collect all infos on accessories.

I also want to find out where did you send the car to get rust proofed..? Tks.
  • riproyriproy Member Posts: 57
    Welcome to the 5 ownership club - i think you will be continue to be very happy with your purchase. I love this vehicle.

I took it to Ziebart for rust proofing and undercoating. The package was $350CAD. Tinting was done at European Auto where one of the dealers sends their cars to be done and saved about $170 taking it there myself rather than having the dealer do it. Seat covers are from Rosenthal Mazda in Arlington, Virginia . My dealer will not sell me an oil filter removal tool but there is one in Edmonton that will. Canadian Tire has tools similar to what is needed but they don't quite fit so i will have to go with genuine (and more costly) Mazda stuff.

I am now looking for winter rims and tires. A dealer quoted me $1025CAD for Michelin X-Ice on 16" steel rims. I was hoping to find something a little cheaper. CDN Tire couldn't beat that price but i will continue looking around. Tires for this car, winter or summer, are not cheap. The X-Ice 205/55R16 is about $190 per tire here. If you are looking, please let me know your findings.
  • virago83virago83 Member Posts: 6
    Just took possession of our new Mazda 5 in late July. We just gave up a Hyundai, Santa-Fe after a 4-year lease. Can't say nothing bad about the Santa-Fe. Ran it for 4 years without any maintenance issues at all, not even a loose screw! We were actually looking at getting a Tuscon but then gas prices when ballistic and we decided against AWD and V6s. We stopped by a Mazda dealership for a look-see and fell in love with the "5". So far loving every second behind the wheel. We bought the GT model/Auto with air. We told the dealer right from day one that we wanted a t-hitch for bicycle rack and a small utility trailer. Dealer didn't complain at all. It wasn't until a week later while flipping through the owners manual that I spotted the note mentioning the "5" wasn't designed for towing?? I assume this won't affect my warranty as it was dealer installed. Hitch fits like a glove (bolt-in) and you can barely tell its even there.

So far no complaints about power. Have had 5 adults on board and it gets up to speed no problem. Handles like a charm for what is supposed to be a 3/4 sized minivan. Quiet ride, very little wind noise and can enjoy the audio without cranking it up loud. Fit and finish is incredible for its price and I know now why the so-called "big American 3" auto makers are in a panic. :shades:
  • wa98stratwa98strat Member Posts: 66
    Wrongo...

At least that's what my dealer told me when I asked. He said that IF I installed a Hitch without the trailer Wiring I might be able to argue later if there is a warranty issue in that area that I never towed. But If I had the wiring installed That I've voided the warranty!

Having said that he still would install it for us ( didn't) dealers will take any buck they can!

$700 for "electronic rust proofing... what you think I have stupid written all over my face!"

The Big 3 are in a Panic because their sales model still depends heavily on SUV's (truck's don't count against their CAFE numbers!)
  • mazdalvrmazdalvr Member Posts: 16
    I love my 5 its quick enough for my taste and its the best handling vehicle I have ever owned. My only complaint is the excessive brake dust from the front brakes is coating my front rims and there is some pull in the steering on hard acceleration. Other than that for a father of two I love it. Its the safe family ride with the wife and kids on board and when its just me its my overgrown sports sedan you will soon forget that you are driving a wagon.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    The best thing to do about brake dust is to clean the wheels thoroughly and then apply a coat of paste wax on them. The wax makes it easier to wash them the next time. You must be braking hard and generating dust faster.

The pulling is torque steer. If you don't accelerate hard you can avoid it. Hope you are not doing these things before your MZ5 is broken in fully, at least until you get over 1000 miles on it.

fowler3
  • kandor71kandor71 Member Posts: 8
    We purchased our 5 in April.
    We reluctantly traded in our P5 for the new 5 because we needed more room for our 2 year old little boy.
    I instantly fell in love with it, I was afraid it would drive like a van but it handles almost as well as my P5.
    I think by changing the factory tires to something stickier my new 5 would handle even better.
    I hope Mazda follows thru with the plan to make the 5 all wheel drive, I heard a rumour that the 5 in Asia will be gettin awd as an option.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • castg1castg1 Member Posts: 34
    One Mazda5 GT found a home in Regina, Saskatchewan on the 17th Aug. It fits our family budget and have seats for our family of 5 plus 1 extra seat for the cousin. It kicked the buick 86 skyhawk out of the garage. The buick will now have to make do with the driveway.

We not only saved money by not buying a full-size minivan, we also found out we don't need to keep a second-smaller car, for our daily (driver only errands) use. The Mazda5 can do both. Function as a 'minivan' and use gas and 'look' like a car.

The teenager son is now very happy claiming custody of the old buick . lolz.
  • msalmsal Member Posts: 3
    Purchased a Touring Strato Blue with Zoom Zoom stickers and I have to say ... NICE!!!! (Had it brought up from Houston to Fort Worth as that was the only place in Texas they had the color I wanted.)

Here's my input:
    Size - perfect. I've got three young kids, 8, 2 and 1, so I get three rows at $10K less than other mini's. That works for me! The two car seats fit fine in the second row and the older kid has room in the back. Want to buy the roof rack, but we were fine going to San Antonio from Fort Worth for a weekend trip. Just folded half the seat down in the third row and all of our stuff fit fine.

Mileage - good. Considering we've been zoom, zooming around town a lot lately my mileage is right on for the city estimates. Once I get some highway numbers I'll post those.

A/C - my one gripe, but after getting it tinted, no problem. Even in the 100+ degree heat wave we're having here in Texas! It's not ice cold right away, but it's bearable for all in the car when we get in and just fine a few minutes later.

Rear sliding doors - they told the truth on this one! My two year old can open and close no problem. Doors are VERY light and the child locks work great.

Handling - WOW!!! I love the turning radius on this baby! My wife drives a Mazda6 and I have to say, considering this is a mini-van, it definitely lives up to the zoom-zoom name.

Power - I don't know what some of these people expect a mini van to do?! I hopped in this sucker and jumped on the freeway - WHOOPS! I was doing 80 in no time and didn't realize it. On long hills, yes, it does get a bit sluggish, but I'm in Texas ... flat land everywhere!

All in all, just consider this - I had a crotch rocket two years ago. And here I am driving a MINIVAN! It's deep blue, tinted, handles like a dream and has good zoom for a mini. Can't complain - at least I know I'm a lot safer with the standard air bags in the front and side!

Michael
  • mazdalvrmazdalvr Member Posts: 16
    I have had my van for a few weeks now I already have 1,642 miles on it. I have no problem with it so far I have fun keeping up with the sports cars out there even when I weave through traffic. I drove through a tight curvy section of road near me and I was able to maintain a good speed and the 5 didn't budge. I have been down this same road in my last car and was never able to go as fast. Mazda sent me a zoom-zoom sticker so I put it in back right under the 3rd brake light it looks good. I have to say this, the Mazda 5 is not a formula one racer so get over it. I find it has enough power to get the job done and you can bolt on a few things to boost the horse power. There are already cold air intake kits out and I am sure mufflers are not far behind. I have the auto and I have no problem I use the manual shift mode other than some minor torque steer I seem to be able to jump out into traffic and pass people with no problem. I am going to be looking into upgrading the factory speakers I am not worried about Navigation I know how to read a map. At the end of the day I look at my 5 before I go into the house and smile knowing I have a cool little wagon that has everything I wanted in my last car all wrapped into one with the same amount of usefulness as a regular mini van just without the embarrassing finger pointing from people because I am driving a soccer mom mobile like a caravan.
  • 210betty210betty Member Posts: 1
    I read a post earlier about the A/C. We live in Texas and had our windows tinted as dark as legally possible. However it still doesn't cool down fast enough for us. All the other vehicles we've owned it felt like we were getting blasted with cool air, this one if feels like a tiny fan in a big room. Any one have any advice. We also lost our powersteering within the first 3 weeks of ownership. The dealership was quick to respond and took our car in and fixed it right away. Other than that I love this car sooooo much. I traded in a fully loaded Mercury mountaineer that had massive repairs yearly. I'm saving on gas and we've already taken it on a road trip to NC. That was an enjoyable ride!!
  • virago83virago83 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the input about the hitch. I will definately take it up with my dealer. with a brand new vehicle on a 4 year lease, can't afford to have mazda void any warranty work I may have. Do you have any idea as to why Mazda says no to a hitch on this vehicle? Does Mazda O.K. installs of hitches on Mazda3s??
  • msalmsal Member Posts: 3
    Besides rolling the windows down and driving for a few seconds to force out the hot air I can't think of much more to do. I live in the DFW area and am fine with the A/C performance after I got the windows tinted. Compared to the wife's Mazda6 the velocity of air coming out of the vents seems comparable - it's just the amount of square footage that has to be cooled.
  • szetoszeto Member Posts: 4
    Any ideas or suggestions about getting a shorter antenna for my new Mazda 5 Touring? I saw a couple of 3-inch and 5-inch long antennas but also read that the reception using them is compromised. Any ideas? Thanks
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    See sharkfin antenna. I don't have one, but other people say that the reception is better than the stubbies. See rpm for cheaper price (includes shipping). Anyone for a group buy?
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    The shorter antenna from the CX-7 will fit. But it's on backorder right now... :cry:
    Actually ordering it directly from Visual Garage is $10 cheaper than RPM. I have it installed on my 5 and it makes the car more distinctive. No more RC car antenna for me. Reception is almost equal to the stock antenna. The colour match was perfect
  • kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Hi,

Was it hard to install? Actually RPM is $10 more, but free shipping, Visual Garage costs $12 shipping so RPM is cheaper by $2.

However, Visual Garage offers group discounts for 5+ orders. Anyone interested in putting a group buy together? The way I've seen it work on other forums is that you get some code, the more people use the code, the more discount you get - usually time limited.

David
  • zoom500zoom500 Member Posts: 11
    I can not believe that others are having the same issue, I thought I was all alone!!
    Not knowing about other antenna options i got a piece of picture hanging wire and wrapped it around the tip of the antenna and attached the other end to the base of the antenna, I adjusted the tension a little bit and now have an antenna that clears the door, total cost less than $1.00 and 5 min of my time. I know this may not be a long term solution but it has worked just fine for the last 3 months.
    zoom 500.
    Nope, Really simple. Just unscrew the stock antenna and screw the lead from the shark fin into the base. Then (once you've cleaned the area with alcohol) just stick down the antenna. It has some automotive double sided tape already applied. Just press down and hold for a few seconds. presto you're done.

Tip. read the instructions. They go through a dry fit process with masking tape to make your alignment marks. It helps alot.

Shipping from RPM is not free (for me at least, I'm in Canada) so it maked no sense to order a part that was made in canada from a US supplier!
    very Gehto!! Not sure I could do that to a brand new car!!

The Sharkfin is a very nice and distinctive alternative!
  • zoom500zoom500 Member Posts: 11
    :) I agree however removing the antenna every time we pulled the car in to the garage was not going to work and leaving it on by mistake would have cost us. Since I was not aware of the web sites that sell aftermarket antenna's I was stuck with my own solution. Now all I need to do is come up with the $60.00 bucks to make the switch.
  • castg1castg1 Member Posts: 34
    Mine hits the door too but only slightly. It's flexible. So I taped wax paper along the door where the antenna touches. Antenna can now slide and bend back a little without any problem.
  • high5erhigh5er Member Posts: 1
    I bought my new Mazda 5 this week! All in all, this is just the type of vehicle that I have been wanting to find for the last 3 yrs or so, and this 5 is just the one I wanted! I have been wanting a vehicle with cargo space at least 5 feet long to hold my craft show supplies, yet something that isn't as big and bulky as a minivan and with better mileage.

After driving the 5 home and parking in my garage, with plenty of room in there around all 4 sides (--and the top: no antenna problems), I cheered at making such a good choice. I think I’m going to enjoy this car for a quite a long time!

The details: the 5 I decided on is a 2006 Cardinal Red Touring Automatic (just about the last new red automatic left in California). I got it with carpets as well as the all-weather floor mats, bumper guard, cargo cover, cargo net, and wheel locks.

Just a couple of days later I bought the windshield shade and ordered the door guards; and I think I will also get the seat covers and am strongly considering the bra.

Hopefully I will be successful here in adding one of the first photos taken just minutes after driving this beauty home from the LA area.

I appreciate all the information I have gotten on the Mazda 5 forums and look forward more information sharing. Thanks!

">Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • danieltdanielt Member Posts: 2
    We have a new 2007 White Mazda5 Touring. I originally hesitated to make the jump because my wife can only drive automatic and I was concerned about having only the 4 speed in automatic. But its seems to do fine despite the high revs.

We were pretty disappointed in the navigation system though. We got it because of concerns about our small portable unit getting stolen because of it's visibility on the windshield, which was an illegal placement anyways in CA. The larger screen is much easier to see as well. But, unlike our old Garmin, the Mazda system, is really a pain to program. I have to go through multiple different windows to put in the desired destination, look for points of interest or put in memory points. It took forever to figure out how to put in the home location. It is much less intuitive and harder to find what you want than the garmin. And it doesn't have close to the number of points of interest you get with the Garmin. For Shopping, for example, you can only look for grocery stores, or shopping malls, not specific stores. Overall, even with the larger screen and integrated look, I would not recommend the expense and I wish we had stuck with the $280 garmin, instead of the $1800 to $2000 Navigation through Mazda.

Other than that issue, we are very happy with the car itself, which is very responsive and fun to drive. And we both love the way it looks. We can find our car very easily in any parking lot, it really stands out.
  • edf4edf4 Member Posts: 65
    Congratulations on your fine choice and purchase! We have a Phantom Blue '06 Touring manual and couldn't be more pleased with it. As for options, one more that you should consider, both for appearance and practicality, is to have the rear passenger and cargo windows tinted. We had ours done at Tint-King (national aftermarket), and not only does it look really sharp, but also keeps the sun off the rear passengers and dog, and helps keep out prying eyes.