Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs. BMW 328i

13»

Comments

• waw40waw40 Posts: 39
    I am not surprised that you miss your Bimmer but I am surprised that you attempt to compare it to the TSX AT!
    I am sure your impressions would have been different had you picked an MT. Try one and you will see what I mean...
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    went thru the child-rearing days with manual transmission cars. luckily my children usually fell asleep while I was driving. A screaming kid in the backseat would be terrible for any driver. where in North Jersey. I grew up in bergen county. My mom and daughter live in Toms River. I now live near Wilmington. We had a car with steptronic. It is definately not the same- could not wait to get back to manual. Did you test drive a manual TSX. Oh well, too late just enjoy and be safe
  • It's funny actually - I had a manual on my 325, decided on the AT for the convenience with kids so got that on the TSX, then realized how much I missed the MT so looked for that on a 328, the dealer didn't have any so ended up with the AT on the 328. Crazy. While I do still hate the brief hesitation you get with an AT, the 328 is pretty responsive. In hindsite, I woulda liked to have driven an MT on the TSX if only because I heard such good things about how smooth it is. Oh well, I'm happy now.

Oh yeah, I'm from Bergen County too. Grew up in Emerson and Oradell.
  • Thanks for the input. I'm planning to lease so resale value is somewhat less of an issue. All three cars have reliability issues and BMW is by far the most expensive. If I delete the Saab, I'm wondering if a 323i with sport and premium package is really worth $5K more than a loaded GLI? Power is the same and the GLI has more features including leather and 6 disk CD.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    my tsx will soon get a real test-we are going on a two-week road trip out west. Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone National Park and other places. We are leaving April 27th. I am going north to N.J. the end of March. While I am there I am getting my car serviced at the dealer I bought it from. I want to make sure it is o.k. (which I know it will be). I was close to you-New Milford and Demarest. Bought my first car-a 1971 VW Beetle from Old country motors on Kinderkamack road in Emerson.
  • "I'm wondering if a 323i with sport and premium package is really worth $5K more than a loaded GLI? Power is the same and the GLI has more features including leather and 6 disk CD."

I think you should go for the BMW if the difference is only 5000$. I went with the GTI instead of the BMW because the difference was about 12000$ and I thought the GTI is at least as fun to drive as the 328, but for 5000 difference BMW is the choice. 5000 is a small price to pay to upgrade to a premium brand. Plus you will save another approx. 1500 on maintenance(in 4 years) with the BMW so the real difference comes to about 3500. VW is a great car but a BMW is a BMW.
  • Good advice! Thanks.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,085
    seems to be deader than Elvis.

Since I bought a TSX a few weeks ago, after carefully planning my 3-series ED trip for the past several years, I found this comparo only today and took interesting information from it.

Does anyone still look at the TSX vs. the 328? Perhaps all the 3-series people are going to the 335. I doubt it though, given the value-seekers (that'd be me) or the badge seekers (definitely not me) who want in for the minimum possible outlay.

Either way, my TSX (with all of 503 miles on it so far) has been a very pleasant experience, and I've had excellent luck with Asian vehicles over my 43-year driving career. The '09 TSX has gotten decidedly mixed reviews, so overall I'm pleased to have the one I've got. I'm very much looking forward to a 2000-mile or so road trip to and through the mother lode country in CA in the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to a positive bonding experience.

Pat, is it time to update the name of this thread? Or (as is always possible), am I just too thick to have found an existing 328 vs TSX topic?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Good idea - change made, and thanks for the nudge. :)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,101
    Elvis is dead? That' s not what Jim Morrison told me...

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Elvis Costello is not dead! He's married to Diana Krall, isn't he?
    Krull? Wasn't that a bad B-movie horror flick?

And, really. What is so funny about peace, love and understanding?

'13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Krull wasn't a bad movie. And I think Elvis had a cameo in it...
    Pressley or Costello?

Thank ya. Thank ya vura much...

I drove an 08 TSX today. It seemed to have a funny hitch in the transmission, it was hard to go smoothly from a stop. It had about 4k miles on the clock and appeared to be meticulously maintained so I surmised this was a "feature" not a bug. :)

Does the TSX have the infamous drive by wire that upsets many in some vehicles? It was truly weird.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,085
    Automatic or manual?

I noticed that the clutch/fuel feed felt enough different on my TSX (that I've had all of 3 weeks) that I'm still getting used to it, but haven't killed it yet. I've driven lots of different manuals & it always takes awhile to learn where the clutch takes up & how the throttle responds. So far, I'd say the TSX isn't too different from most & better than the Lincoln LS it's replacing.

I'm through the break-in period & am getting on it more now. Seems smoother all the time.
    Automatic, sorry, that would indeed be a relevant factoid. :)

I never could figure out how to adjust the side mirrors. There was a left/right stalk thing on the driver's door, but I couldn't make anything (except my fingers) change the mirror. I did not put a whole lot of effort in it, though.

It was a nice little car.
13»
This discussion has been closed.