Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Edmunds forums! Sign-in process in our forums has changed. Click here to learn more.

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• 2001gs4302001gs430 Posts: 767
    I would be very upset if my LFA ended up in the grass like that. :surprise:
  • skarieskarie Posts: 78
    Audi A8 Beats BMW 7 Series

The new Audi A8 just beat the BMW 7 series in the German car publication Auto Bild.
    Although the article is in German, I thought it would be useful to share this article because these 2 cars are going to be sold in the US with very similar specifications, especially when it comes to engine choices.
    To sum it up, Autobild says the cars are very similar in that one is not better than the other by more than a hairline. The A8's ride is smoother, while the BMW, especially in the rear axle, is tuned more for sport. Space is about the same, but the BMW offers easier entry into the back seat as its rear doors are slightly bigger.
    But when i comes to performance, the Audi edges out the BMW in every major aspect. Despite the BMW's bigger and torque-laden turbocharged motor, the Audi is faster. It accelerates to 100km/h in 5.2 seconds, while the 750i does it in 5.5. The difference in fuel economy is even greater with the Audi burning 11.4L/100km and the BMW with 14.1L/100km. Braking in the Audi is better as well. All this does not come as a huge surprise when one compares the weight of these cars. The A8 is 220kg, or almost 500lbs lighter than the 7-series.
    For more specs, check out the link and scroll down to the performance table, which thanks to universal measurements can be understood even if you don't speak German.
    Overall, the new Audi A8 took 1st place with 376 points and the BMW 750 came in 2nd with 357/400 points.

link title
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    edited April 2010
    The new A8 is actually lighter than the A6 thanks to the ASF. BMW and Mercedes have no answer for that, so while the recently massaged 4.2 isn't quite as powerful as its rivals, it doesn't need to be, as it has hundreds of pounds less to lug around.

Aluminum is great stuff, and I suspect that as stricter emissions and fuel economy regulations loom on the horizon, we'll be seeing Audi's space frame appear in their more mainstream models.
  • skarieskarie Posts: 78
    The new A8 is actually lighter than the A6 thanks to the ASF.

Thats right, the A8 hybrid looks interesting its suppose to only weigh around 4000 lbs, thats will be the same weight as the new S4.

link title
  • tagmantagman Malibu, CaliforniaPosts: 8,441
    edited April 2010
    The new A8 is actually lighter than the A6 thanks to the ASF. BMW and Mercedes have no answer for that, so while the recently massaged 4.2 isn't quite as powerful as its rivals, it doesn't need to be, as it has hundreds of pounds less to lug around.

Aluminum is great stuff, and I suspect that as stricter emissions and fuel economy regulations loom on the horizon, we'll be seeing Audi's space frame appear in their more mainstream models.

Nothing new to me. Thanks to its aluminum space frame, my 2005 Jaguar XJ long-wheelbase Vanden Plas weighs in only slightly more than a little 3-Series BMW! Hate to say it, but an Audi A8 at around 4000 lbs. weighs in like a fat pig by comparison.

And, with the Jag packing a little more than 300 HP and 300 lbs of torque, its feather-weight body still allows for brisk performance and stellar fuel economy.

A couple months ago I took a little trip up the coast from Malibu to Santa Barbara in the Jag, with passengers aboard, comfortably stretched out, watching movies in the back, and all the while I was achieving 29 MPG!

Wonder if the newest Jag XJ or Audi A8 can match that... LOL.

TM
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,634
    Hey, TM....how's the 1'er holding up since the FP job? Have you logged some mile in it since?

Regards,
    OW
    edited April 2010
    Hey, TM....how's the 1'er holding up since the FP job? Have you logged some mile in it since?

Well... since you ask...

The fix was taken care of... but it somehow left me feeling bitter about BMW... there's simply no excuse for sooooooo many fuel pumps going out on so many of their cars, over and over again... it's pathetic.

I don't love the car the same way I once did, so I have put it car up for sale. A friend (and neighbor) of mine owns a dealership specializing in exotic and high-end cars. He took the car to his dealership and said he'd sell it for me.

So, for all practical purposes, and as far as I'm concerned, it's already gone.

I'm enjoying the Jag for now, and patiently waiting for something very cool and environmentally friendly to come along one of these years.

TM
  • anthonypanthonyp Posts: 1,860
    I feel a bit like you with the BMW, but the dealer has continues to help my wife out on the repairs (seat light this time) the inside looks like the day she purchased it , so although the materials aren`t up to Audi, they certainly hold up..

I haven`t kept a car as long as I am keeping the Audi, since I was a young man... There really isn`t a reason to sell it, as it has been so reliable, and nothing other than the Mercedes E has caught my eye....It make me think that these expensive cars have to be kept a longer time just to justify (somewhat) the big hit on depreciation :) and further right now I would prefer a good tractor :) Tony
    edited April 2010
    edited April 2010
    Oops, I goofed up my post somehow... I'll try again.

I read your post that you are going to get a John Deere tractor. I own a fairly large Kubota tractor (use it on my 38 acres, out-of-state property) that's been very reliable for many, many years, although not as nice as a John Deere. Has front-loader, large backhoe and cutter attachments.

Nothing quite like sitting in the backhoe seat and working those hydraulics... very powerful sensation. Something every one of us men deserves to experience IMO.

TM
  • rockshocka1rockshocka1 Posts: 310
    Tony,

No reason to get rid of your A8. Looks sharp, the one time I saw it, & if you're happy with the reliability, seems like a no-brainer to wait until something makes your jaw drop. Life is too short to compromise. :shades:

One thing I wonder about though is if you'll get hit when you sell it based on the color. I, for one, think it looks great, but you know the deal. If it's not black, silver or gray, it's not a hot commodity, so someone may try to short you. I sure hope that's not the case for you.

I've been tasked to find a car for my Mom, believe it or not. She wants a mid-size, luxury, AWD car. Wants nothing to do with Lexus, likely do to bad press. I suggested the E, but apparently not to her liking. I think it's going to come down to an A6 or the new M. Going to do research, don't want to steer her wrong. I'm thinking I may purchase it as a gift for Mother's Day if I can make a choice quickly.
    I'm enjoying the Jag for now, and patiently waiting for something very cool and environmentally friendly to come along one of these years.

If I read that you buy a plug in Prius, or something like that, I'm coming to Cali to steal your Jag. ;)
    If I read that you buy a plug in Prius, or something like that, I'm coming to Cali to steal your Jag

HA...

Phil... You'll be one of the first to know!... but the crazy thing about this is that I seem to be in no hurry at all, and really have no idea whatsoever what I want to do regarding the next car.

I can't remember caring less about buying a car at any time in my adult life.

There's just nothing out there that interests me right now, and the Jag is providing me a supreme ride in the meantime.

But, regardless, find an excuse to come on out to California anyway. There's no shortage of fun and excitement out here, and plenty of gorgeous scenery and damned good weather. You'll have a blast.

TM
    I've been tasked to find a car for my Mom, believe it or not. She wants a mid-size, luxury, AWD car. Wants nothing to do with Lexus, likely do to bad press. I suggested the E, but apparently not to her liking. I think it's going to come down to an A6 or the new M. Going to do research, don't want to steer her wrong. I'm thinking I may purchase it as a gift for Mother's Day if I can make a choice quickly.

The GS350 AWD isn't a great choice anyway. It's been unreliable since launch, and the GS overall is a really mediocre design. The A6 3.0T is still great, but it's an old design that's due for replacement.

The M37x is probably the best choice right now. The exterior is a bit strange from some angles, but the interior is a grand slam, and not just by Infiniti standards. I think it's much nicer than the E's comparatively dry and rather cold interior styling. The previous gen M was the most reliable car in its class, and assuming that continues, that's another bullet point in the M's favor.

This time BMW will be launching the 528, 535, and 550xi only a few months after the RWD versions, sometime in the fall.

Fisker, maybe? Supposedly the Karma is not that far away from actual production, and it's certainly a lot more interesting than the Volt :)

Tag,

IMO, we are at the point where buying a brute maybe at an end for awhile. Now is the time to get a monster before we have nothing but toasters to choose from. Kind of like the old movie The Road Warrior. Get one of the last V8 Interceptors, so to speak. I think there are plenty of great choices now, that won't be around/legal later.

The next round of HP wars will probably be built around smaller engines with hybrid support. Everyone seems to realize cutting weight is a priority too. Which I agree with. However, switching to lighter weight metals like aluminum will also increase fix-it costs by a large margin.

As far as Cali goes, you sounded like an ad paid for by the state sponsoring a Law & Order Marathon. :P

I've been there many times, but haven't hit all the hot spots. I spend most of my time in Big Bear helping coach young atheletes.
    My Mom actually mentioned she like the Infinit styling the most. Now, I can't guarantee she knows the difference between the G & the M,& apparently, that's not an unusual notion.

The only thing that bothers me is the first model year tabboo. But, I believe, along with the leap I made with Audi, that Infiniti is on the right track. It's definitely her lead dog in the race, & unless I find something really negative, probably the way to go.

LG, I do really value your info/posts.

Thanks.
    Fisker, maybe?

Well... as you know, LG, I've been keeping an eye on Fisker from the beginning. Here's a recent update on Fisker for anyone else that is interested...

The U.S. Department of Energy yesterday [just recently] announced the closing of a $528.7 million loan to Fisker Automotive for the development of tow plug-in hybrid electric-vehicles. The loan will give Fisker the resources to produce the Karma plug-in hybrid sedan and a line of family oriented models being developed under the company’s Project NINA program.

“The story of Fisker is a story of ingenuity of an American company, a commitment to innovation by the U.S. government and the perseverance of the American auto industry,” said Vice President Joe Biden. “The Boxwood Plant is opening again, employing workers in Delaware, and is serving as a roadmap for all we can accomplish if everyone works together. Thanks to real dedication by this Administration, loans from the Department of Energy, the creativity of U.S. companies and the tenacity of great state partners like Delaware – we’re on our way to helping America’s auto industry reclaim its top position in the global market.”

Fisker said that it expects to build the Karma and Project NINA lines at a recently closed General Motors facility in Wilmington, Delaware. Fisker anticipates that it will employ 2,000 assembly workers.

The Fisker Karma is scheduled to appear in showrooms in late 2010. The Project NINA line is expected to begin rolling off the assembly line in late 2012.

Refresher: Power comes from Fisker’s Q-DRIVE system, which is made up of two 201-hp electric motors that are powered by a lithium-ion battery pack. That allows the 2010 Karma to travel up to 50 miles without the use of any gasoline. A generator attached to a 260-hp turbocharged 2.0-liter Ecotec direct injection gasoline engine by General Motors provides an extended range of up to 300 miles. 0 to 60 mph comes in 5.8 seconds with a top speed of 125 mph.

Overall, I like the appearance of the Fisker Karma, and I like what I have read about it so far, and it does seem that it is on its way to becoming a reality.

TM
    IMO, we are at the point where buying a brute maybe at an end for awhile. Now is the time to get a monster before we have nothing but toasters to choose from. Kind of like the old movie The Road Warrior. Get one of the last V8 Interceptors, so to speak. I think there are plenty of great choices now, that won't be around/legal later.

Like an RS5, maybe? Audi USA has green lit the car for our shores, and from all indications it is very good. 450 horsepower, the most advanced Quattro system ever, and unlike the R8, it uses the S-tronic DSG that actually works.

Here's a review from Autocar
    The only thing that bothers me is the first model year tabboo. But, I believe, along with the leap I made with Audi, that Infiniti is on the right track. It's definitely her lead dog in the race, & unless I find something really negative, probably the way to go.

Yeah teething issues can definitely be a concern, especially with highly complex luxury cars. Infiniti has been doing very well lately though, both the recently introduced EX and FX models were not problematic in their first years. If I had to bet on the new M or the new 5 in a reliability contest, my money would be on the Infiniti, no question.
  • kyllekylle Posts: 4
    wow! nice car!
    I am very seriously considering the RS5 as a purchase next year. Fits the bill perfectly of a car that we may never see the likes of again, for good or bad. My only hesitation is that my S5 has been such a superb daily driver for 18.5k miles, it might be somewhat redundant. I have no good reason to get rid of the S5, but I do want a true wolf in sheeps' clothing before we're reduced to driving eggbeaters.
    Man where have you been?

I got that color as it doesn`t have to always be washed ..The last Lexus was Eggplant purple....Never again....Further I always get` shorted` now a day..Even when I go into the grocery store.....Next time the meat is two dollars cheaper that day :)....I`m tricking the whole group by keeping the car much longer than I expected, and to fill the need for change I`m getting maybe a Gator, or a Polaris 4x6....and taking Tag`s suggestion to also compare the Kobuta to the John Deere tractor.....I wonder if anyone has any thought on the Polaris 4x6?? all I know is John Deere in the large tractors are really very reliable therefore I assume the Gator would be also....I saw a video of one and it sounded rather loud so that was a turnoff...Of course I`l check both against each other personally.... Nice to hear from you again :) Tony
    I have no good reason to get rid of the S5, but I do want a true wolf in sheeps' clothing before we're reduced to driving eggbeaters.

The S5 is a very capable car and in 99% of situations the extra capabilities of the RS would most likely go unused. With the right conditions and on the right road however, that's when it all comes together. The question is, is it worth it for that 1%.

I'm not so sure that we're going to be reduced to driving eggbeaters. A Volt-style gasoline or diesel-electric drive system is probably going to become mainstream in the next two decades, but I don't think those cars will be any more or less appliance like than a 4cyl Camry you can buy right now. They'll just be more efficient.

I think the future for high performance cars is much brighter now than it was in the days when V8s went from 350hp to 150hp.

I think the future for high performance cars is much brighter now than it was in the days when V8s went from 350hp to 150hp.

Exactly.

BTW, The Porsche is only about 100 committments shy of being produced. Porsche has about 900 probable sales and needs 1,000 to produce the car.

How 'bout you?

or Phil?

;)

TM
    Man where have you been?

Since the restraints were tightened on this forum some time back, the posting has dropped off considerably. As a result, I don't check in as often as in the past, because it doesn't take too long to catch up on, what, 25 posts in a good month? :sick:

I didn't follow the others to the stock market forum, because a dedicated forum to it is more than I care to follow. It was an example of good conversation that used to be on here before getting the axe.
    How 'bout you?

or Phil?

Beautiful car. :shades:

But count me out. That's more of a wolf in dragon's clothing. :surprise:

Besides, ingress/egress would no doubt not be to my liking. ;)
    Greetings

It has been a change , but at least we all have been able to stick together......I understand why Pat and the company did what they did, although it was abrupt, at least Pat helped me to figure the new system out, so I just t type one letter and the stock market comments come up.....All you guys know so much more than me , particularly about electronics, that I really value the occasional input I get from all of you, and for me you have been missed......Tony ps I think the Audi 6 is about to change, but I swear I haven`t been taken with anything other than the Mercedes E, so I am not doing anything...
    I think the Audi 6 is about to change, but I swear I haven`t been taken with anything other than the Mercedes E, so I am not doing anything...

Yep, they are following the same pattern as last time, when the '04 A8 preceded the '05 A6. Since we have the new A8 this year, the new A6 will be next year. It will shift to the MLP front-midship modular platform used in all of their recent models, and should get Drive Select and the QuattroSport torque vectoring system. The 3.0T engine is likely to carry over unchanged, and there will probably be a small bump in power for the V8. The S6 is supposed to drop the V10 for a twin turbo V8.
    You sure know your stuff :) Thanks Tony