Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Luxury Lounge

Comments

• jimbresjimbres Posts: 2,025
    You can still buy some Lexus models with cassette decks. Seriously. Cassette decks.

As I've said at least once before, my wife is hooked on audio books that she borrows from our local public library, & at least a third of the selection is still in cassette format. So we'll need a cassette deck in at least one of our cars until 2020.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,091
    Are there small cassette players that could be plugged into the Aux input of newer cars? Hope so, as I've got quite a bit of stuff on cassettes & run into the audiobook situation as well from time-to-time, just not lately.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    I would agree with you about Lexus and that mouse thing they got going on. I did not care for it at all and found it extremely difficult to use and get used to!

Though I think Acura has a pretty good navigation system. I've used it first hand and the graphics, display, easy of use, and learning the system was very good, though I am pissed that they got rid of touchscreen. Personally, I like touchscreen the best and feels its the most intuitive but maybe I'm just a dinosaur now in my taste :P \

th the Germans, and Audi on the other hand, I found the iDrive extremely difficult to use and very difficult to learn. I'm not the only one, I've read several reviews of test drives by auto professional who also made the point with Audi to talk about how non-intuitive and complicated the idrive system is to not only learn but to use with multiple layers of commands I didn't think that the graphics or the preprogramed database was as knowledge and full as the Acura one. But as others have pointed out, nav systems is about the only thing Acura has going for it. They are stagnate on almost every other front ;) .

BMW was also given some cons to their nav system's ability and ease of use/learning! Its been awhile since I've been in Bimmer so I can not comment on them from my own experience.
    just to clarify because I think the way I worded it, it sounds reversed, I meant to say MMI system for Audi and iDrive for BMW!
  • clemboclembo Posts: 253
    I can add some color here, I have an A8 with MMI, a BMW with IDrive and a MDX with the Acura system. I actually had a 2003 MDX with the touch screen and I agree with you it was easy to use. I replaced that car witha 2008 which has a round controller which is OK but not as easy.

The MMI is much more user friendly in my opinion than the IDrive. MMI has some steps that are redundant but the IDrive has many and it is just counter intuitive. BMW desrves credit for innovating with a device such as this, but they have been passed by others as far as functionality.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    Are u talking abou the newe I drive?
  • clemboclembo Posts: 253
    My BMW is a 2008, I don't believe that it is the newest version of idrive but is is a late version.
  • lexusguylexusguy Posts: 6,419
    My BMW is a 2008, I don't believe that it is the newest version of idrive but is is a late version.

The most recent version I think launched in the new 7, and then followed in the '09 3 series and other BMWs, but I'm not positive on that. I haven't really used it, but from what I've seen, it's much easier to understand than the system it replaced, and as far as things like graphic design and technological capabilities are concerned, it's more advanced than anything Acura, Lexus, or Infiniti have.

Though I like the Acura nav system the best, I will admit that the MMI and iDrive system is a hell of a lot better than that stupid mouse thing that Lexus is introducing into all its models; I don't know how they expect you to try and move a mouse cursor while your driving the vehicle and have to watch the screen for where that mouse is moving too! there is an example of stupidity!

I'd take the MMI or iDrive system over the Lexus one any day of the week!
  • skarieskarie Posts: 78
    First Drive: 2011 BMW 550i

This car isn't quick; it's genuinely fast, and smooth. We criticized this engine in the new 7 Series for a less than even acceleration curve and slightly jerky throttle response, but no such problem here. Perhaps BMW has evened out the engine's power delivery, or maybe the new trans calibrates the problem away. But the biturbo V-8's got power everywhere on the tach and is easy to drive slowly and smoothly and really gets with the program when you've got your toes into it. There's no turbo lag or jerkiness, just smooth power from a relatively low rpm, as there's meaningful boost available at low rpm. This powertrain makes that silky, turbinelike whirr we've come to expect from BMW V-8s, and it doesn't disappoint. While the result is exceptional, one wonders if this much expensive turbocharger hardware is needed or warranted to produce 400 horsepower. There are other 5.5-liter V-8s that make as much power without all the technical complexity. Whatever, it sure works. As is typical of today's ZF automatic transmissions, this eight-speeder shifts smoothly without being mushy, and always seem to be in the right gear Want a different one, just order up- or downshifts via the steering wheel paddle-shifter, or the throttle.

link title
    There's not a ton of track data yet on the LFA, so it was interesting to see this Motortrend 1/4 mile test between the $400K LFA and the $75K Nissan GT-R. Spoiler: the Nissan is faster off the line and faster to 60 (the LFA needs nearly 4 seconds for that?). In the end the LFA claws it back, but just barely. Not a great result for something costing nearly half a million dollars. Replace the Nissan with a new 911 Turbo, and the LFA would've lost it.

Motortrend test
    That is the reason why the GT-R was penned the Godzilla of cars! ;)
    Replace the Nissan with a new 911 Turbo, and the LFA would've lost it.

Or even the Panamera. This thing has been clocked at 3.2 sec to 60 already.
    link title
  • moxiemoxie Posts: 33
    Cool video! Thx for posting :)
    First Drive: 2011 Jaguar XJ L Supercharged

With the modern automobile's mass generally increasing year by year, it is often said that the mark of a good vehicle is its ability to shrink around the driver -- to drive like a smaller, lighter car than its lengthy list of standard equipment and safety features would suggest. Here, on the impossibly tight and windy sections of Malibu, California's famed Mulholland Drive, the 2011 Jaguar XJ L Supercharged -- Jaguar's newest flagship luxury sedan -- does exactly that.

More than 4000 pounds and 206 inches of luxury sedan isn't exactly in its element hustling the fine, treacherously narrow line between jagged, rocky canyon walls and perilously steep drop-offs, but the Jaguar is sure-footed and well-composed. The winding ribbon of well-traveled gray asphalt seems custom-made for a 7/8ths scale car -- a diminutive Lotus Exige, perhaps. Still, the long-wheelbase, aluminum-framed XJ is up to the task, turning in with precision and quickness decidedly against the norm for the executive transportation class. But then, Jaguar has never been enamored with the norm.

link title
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,619
    edited May 2010
    Heh, heh, heh... for $50K over the price of a ZR-1, you can blow both those rice rockets into the weeds. Here's how it's done....that's my color as well!. BTW, I like the sound produced by one of the best "tuners" out there.

In the 9's - 4 Times

By the way, thats about 15 car lenths through the traps....the ZR-1 mod could have started 2 seconds handicap and past both the LF-A and the GT-R at the lights!

Now, granted the LF-A is a whole different level but 1/4 mile performance? No contest it's way under the best out there for a whole lot less.

Regards,
    OW
  • steveo2steveo2 Posts: 11
    Maybe I'm missing something, but don't all leases end with the option of handing the keys back to the dealer (actual to the leasing company or bank)? What is the dealer doing special for you?
    Infiniti prepares Performance Line

A few days ago we reported that Infiniti will bring two M-based models to the Pebble Beach Concours. Today, AutoBlog reports that the new models will be sold under the Infiniti Performance Line (IPL) nomenclature.

What is IPL? "A new catalog of in-house developed upgrades which – according to the filing – will include everything from air filters to cat-back exhaust systems, and – more intriguingly – "automotive engine parts, namely turbochargers and superchargers." Most like Infiniti’s version of the Nissan’s Nismo and the F-Sport line for Lexus.

Previously reported, the two models being brought to Pebble Beach "will extend Infiniti into an area we haven’t been before and that one of those models will be more performance oriented." Any performance orientation mixed in with some turbochargers and superchargers would definitely be a hot ticket. We can’t wait to see what specifications come out of Pebble Beach this year...namely by Infiniti.

link title
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Posts: 1,926
    Oh my goodness! That is very sad news. I've been off the forums for quite a while, and it's saddening to return to this news. I've been a member of this forum for many years and losing a longstanding moderator is like losing a relative. My thoughts go out to her family. Via con dios, Pat! :cry:
    ... You can still buy some Lexus models with cassette decks. Seriously. Cassette decks.

I don't get the big deal with that. :confuse: So what if they still come with cassette decks? I happen to like that fact. There are millions of people out there with old tapes that they still enjoy listening to. That "abandon old technology even though it's still viable" mentality is what has me in a pickle now! I have a bunch of old 8mm videos of the kids and trips, etc. that I can no longer watch because my old camcorder got damaged out on a boat and the industry has completely abandoned producing 8mm camcorders. Yet you can still buy 8mm tapes. :confuse: And the cost of converting ONE 8mm tape to digital format could probably buy me TWO 8mm camcorders if they were still being made! :mad:
    At the risk of being sacrilege, when it comes to in-car electronics systems, Ford's SYNC (with the Nav option) blows everything out there away. It's simply amazing. All the luxury brands could take a class from the SYNC developers.
    Next Infiniti M and G to share platform with Mercedes-Benz E Class

Renault-Nissan and Daimler recently announced a strategic alliance that promised technology and facility sharing that could result in the saving of over $1 billion per year. We'll have to wait a while before we can see any parts or factory sharing, but that isn't stopping the rumormill from running rampant.

The latest tease comes courtesy of Japanese enthusiast rag Best Car, which claims that the Infiniti M and G will share a common platform architecture with the Mercedes E-Class. The move would make sense from a money-saving perspective, as Infiniti could save hundreds of millions of dollars in development costs. Daimler could reap huge sums of savings through increased economies of scale, while likely receiving funding from Renault-Nissan to help pay for the costs of developing the architecture. The two companies are reportedly also looking into sharing engines, factory space in the U.S. and possibly even commercial vans.

But while it makes sense for Daimler to share the E-Class platform with Infiniti from a cash standpoint, we're taking this bit of news with a healthy dose of skepticism. Infiniti already has an excellent rear-wheel drive platform and there's a good chance that it's cheaper to build. But then again, if Daimler and Renault-Nissan are truly serious about saving over $1 billion per year, these are exactly the kinds of parts-sharing agreements that will help them reach their cost-saving goals.
    link title
    I don't get the big deal with that. So what if they still come with cassette decks? I happen to like that fact. There are millions of people out there with old tapes that they still enjoy listening to. That "abandon old technology even though it's still viable"

I'm sorry, but the cassette deck is not still viable. Why not have an in dash turntable? People are actually buying vinyl. Nobody is buying music on cassette. What I expect to see in a new car is A2DP Bluetooth stereo streaming for mobile phones, hard drive space (and more than the minimal 9GB or so in most cars, it should be 30GB+) and USB jacks for thumb drives and such.

If you want to be able to hear your tapes in the car, just plug a Walkman or a home cassette player into a computer, and digitize it into an MP3. As far as I'm concerned, in-dash cassette players belong in cars like the Grand Marquis. If that's the image Lexus wants to have that's fine, but I won't be buying their cars.
    Sorry, LG, but as my late sainted mother would say, you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Would the presence of a tape deck really stop you from buying a car that you genuinely liked? Of course it wouldn't. If it did, you'd be a low-grade flaming idiot.

It just so happens that you don't particularly care for the current Lexus lineup, & you've decided to make an issue out of one rather insignificant feature.

Disliking Lexus cars because they're uninspiring & no fun to drive (as I well know because my wife drives one) makes perfect sense. Those would be my reasons for not buying one. But disliking them because they haven't abandoned the cassette deck -- if that is, indeed, your chief gripe against the brand -- is just plain silly.
    edited May 2010
    Well, you might not buy one because it had a tape deck but it sure should raise some flags that there might be some REAL old tech that might kill you!! Brand regardless!

UA, Anyone?? :surprise: :surprise:

Regards,
    OW
    FYI: you used 3 exclamation marks to cap your 1st 2 sentences, OW, & 2 question marks to end your 3rd sentence. The only other Edmunds poster who punctuates like that is Rocky.

So either you & Rocky are the same person or you both use the same cheap Chinese keyboards.

Just wanted you to know that I was paying attention.
    edited May 2010
    But disliking them because they haven't abandoned the cassette deck -- if that is, indeed, your chief gripe against the brand -- is just plain silly.

Of course that's not my chief complaint. I have significant problems with their designs, their materials choices, their lack of interest in driving dynamics, and their failed hybrid strategy.

What bugs me about the cassette decks isn't really even the stale technology itself. It's the laziness behind it. The cassette decks are still there because Lexus is lazy. They let the previous GS sit on the market for nearly a decade because they are lazy. They have done the same thing with the SC for the same reason. The SC still has a cassette deck because Lexus never bothered to update the interior. All they had to do was replace the head unit, but that's too much to ask, apparently.

Infiniti replaces the G and M with lighting quick frequency. Lexus lets their cars sit, and age. They don't seem to care.

Edit: I stand corrected! I just looked at the Lexus website, and it appears that the tape decks have finally been banished in the '10 cars. In the SC it's pretty obvious that they just blanked out the space where the deck used to be, but hey, progress is still progress. Still have no interest in their cars.
    edited May 2010
    FYI: I would NEVER buy a car current gen car with a cassette deck! (Rock might, however, only if it was made by Government Motors.)

One exclamation mark. Any ?'s? ;)

Go Hyundai! Korean...just like my tires.

Regards,
    OW
    FYI: I would NEVER buy a car current gen car with a cassette deck!

Why not? (I won't ask you what "car current gen car" means.) If you liked everything else about the car - ride, handling, acceleration, ergonomics, styling, price, etc. - why on earth would you allow the presence of a tape deck to stop you from buying it?
    edited May 2010
    Because the presence of a tape deck means one of the following: the engineers are throwbacks, the brand is problematic (marketing to the wrong demo) or they don't care about advancements in technology (playing to repeat customers only). It would be a red flag.... unless it looked like this, that is! Red color but damn the cassette deck. ;)

Unless it was used and saving 30%, why pay full price when you can store 15,000 songs on an on-board drive? (only used one QM to prove I'm NOT "The Rock")

Even at that, they should hide the cassette deck under the seat, at least. Might as well have a reel to reel. Sheesh! Put out the flag! they finally took it out at Lexus. As was previously mentioned, Lexus/Toyota is eerily becoming quite GM-like lately. Honda/Acura as well. :sick:

That's just me,,,one should float one's own boat, err, I mean Ark. :blush: :blush:

Regards,
    OW