Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

2013 Outback: catastrophic short block crack

Chotu72Chotu72 TexasPosts: 1
edited February 19 in Subaru
While driving on highway at 80mph, suddenly some noise came and smoke started coming. I stopped on the side of the highway. Once the car was loaded on the tow truck, I saw water and oil on the road where the car was. No symptoms what so ever before this happened!

Subaru dealer said engine short block cracked and cost to replace is $5000. Not sure why sudden crack! No oil leaks on the garage floor. I just drove around 80mph (very few miles, 10 to 15, 90mph) for 75 miles in the morning and another 75 miles in the evening.

What could be the reason for short block catastrophically break like that? Is it really worth to replace it spending $5,000 ? Will get quotes from other shops - expecting it to be significantly less. Unfortunately, it happen Saturday late evening so it is dealer ship since...not sure how much they charge for storing and for the time they spent on it (if I get it replaced somewhere else).

2013 Subaru Outback
2.5L
4 cyclinders
80K miles

Really appreciate any suggestions on what to...

Thanks!